Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Do MMORPGs still exist that micromanage all skills like AC or UO?

2»

Comments

  • IamPrimeEvilIamPrimeEvil inez, KYPosts: 2Member

     I think a remake of AC 1 with microsoft publishing again would be great... Leave out decal and bring back the learning curve of all the comps. and you have a nice game to play for 10 more years.                              Prime Evil   Frostfell Server

    10 year  AC  player  :)

    Waiting: Terra / GW2 Playing: -
    Retired: Asherons Call, PWI, WoW, DDO, DF, RoM, Grand Fantasia, Combat Arms, Archlord, Dungeon Runners, Cabal, FF XI, etc

  • rpgamer13rpgamer13 edmonton, ABPosts: 72Member

    if trying darkfall please read this http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4/view/forums/thread/263393/my-darkfall-newb-guide.html

    it will help you start out. 

    main thing to know about this game. is you have to be ready to die. and often and accept you'll loose all your items. once you get ganked a few times and accept it. just bank items often. and you'll enjoy the game. knowing that as you skill up you'll be doing the ganking and taking all the loot

    darkfall is a ton of fun. i havn't spent more then a month in any game since playing asheron's call and everquest before 2007 . darkfall i'm in my 2nd month. and just paid for 6 months.

    don't join a clan to soon. safer, till your skills above 25 combat wise and you have greater magic. if not an elemental school.  clan NEW is great to get into after a week of playing. then choose a clan based of what you like

    working on skills is like UO. open classes like AC 

    enjoy. message me ingame if on  NA server if you need help or advice "  validate zhentil "

    choose the race you like the looks of or at least the racial mounts.  in the end their all the same. it's skill based. and you can buy all mounts from players in your clan later.

    image

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IamPrimeEvil


     I think a remake of AC 1 with microsoft publishing again would be great... Leave out decal and bring back the learning curve of all the comps. and you have a nice game to play for 10 more years.                              Prime Evil   Frostfell Server
    10 year  AC  player  :)



     

    always thought that the spell system in AC  was really good, trying to invent/create a spell by using the components was a really novel idea...  messing about with tapers and stuff,  and, unlike AC2, its actually still running too...  nostalgic, i know but some of the best times there was defending a fort in the middle of nowhere people on the walls spells and arrows, and melee'rs on the ground inside and out..  a graphical update on that game etc, would be pretty awesome i think

  • segmentfaultsegmentfault barrie, ONPosts: 75Member

    Darkfall is your game.  It is classless, level-less, and if you have been playing MMOs for allloonng time, then you will enjoy the challenge.

     

    Just be ready for the cruel world pvp though... it's tough out there.

     

  • tharkthark FalunPosts: 1,147Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by segmentfault
    Darkfall is your game.  It is classless, level-less, and if you have been playing MMOs for allloonng time, then you will enjoy the challenge.
     
    Just be ready for the cruel world pvp though... it's tough out there.
     

    Umm..There is no micromanaging in Darkfall..

    Is there.?

    /junker

  • uquipuuquipu Roma, PAPosts: 1,516Member

     Dungeon and Dragons the pen and paper game came up with levels.

    But there were other games that came out around the same time that had skill advancement.  The thing with skill advancement using pen and paper is that it's very tedious to do by hand.  A computer tracking all of that is very handy.

    I don't care really, levels or skills.  Why does it matter?

    Is it because a skill advancement game will let you get over powered?

     

    Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

  • zephyr86zephyr86 CanberraPosts: 25Member

    I'm a big fan of RPG's, and the D&D Ruleset, especially the Forgotten Realms setting.

    But In terms of Skill-sets VS Classes, I would prefer a middleground that offers people the choice of following a set of class skills but allows them at the same time to cross-class skill their characters, and that is really when you get a variety of characters who can fulfill diferent roles without having to specialize in their respective areas, such as Healing, Tanking, Ranged or Melee, etc.

    Thats why the D&D ruleset appeals to me so greatly, You can have a Armor-toting Mage with a longsword, A tank who can heal his allies, or any number of combinations.

    I would love to see a Forgotten Realms MMO done properly.

     

    That for me would be a liberating experience.

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt

    Originally posted by Lum2K

    Originally posted by Malickie


    Ryzom really is basically the last game left like that. SWG, was up until 05 when a class based system replaced the skill based. You can always still play UO or AC, I know, they're to old for most.



     

    Holy cow!  Are you serious!?  MMORPGs have gotten awful lame then, IMO.  Don't people nowadays get bored if all their skillsets are "pre-ordained" by developers?  I loved being able to have a character that was nothing similar to anyone on the server.  I lied about the 5 years, I did play LOTR Online for a few days since a friend of mine had a few charity accounts, but I laughed at that game when I designed a character and it automatically labeled my character a "tank" or such.... OMG, MMORPGs have been simplified!!!  Thanks for the suggestions folks.  I'll try some of these few games left that seem to appreciate what MMORPGs used to be about.



     

    In games without any progression constraints, teamplay is less interesting because everyone ends up being an uninteresting hybrid (they kinda tank, kinda cast, kinda heal, etc)

    Constraints provide the limitations necessary to make decisionmaking interesting.  Tight progression constraints (like Classes) result in some of the most interesting mid-battle decisionmaking, even if they might have slightly less interesting pre-battle decisionmaking.

    The more freeform and sandbox a game is, the less it's a game and the more it's simply a freeform activity.  Freeform activities don't tug at the same type of motivation strings as games -- at least not for the majority of people.



     

    That's a problem that EVE solves neatly with ship-based play. Although the player may have acquired the skills to fulfill just about any role, he can only fly one ship at a time, which will be much more focused in its abilities and weaknesses.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by thark


     

    Originally posted by segmentfault

    Darkfall is your game.  It is classless, level-less, and if you have been playing MMOs for allloonng time, then you will enjoy the challenge.

     

    Just be ready for the cruel world pvp though... it's tough out there.

     

     

    Umm..There is no micromanaging in Darkfall..

    Is there.?

    /junker



     

    What sort of "micromanaging" is there in any MMORPG?

    Closest I could see is that there are so many skills in Darkfall that you can use that it becomes a hassle to keep the important ones on your bar, especially since you can't just display a bunch of bars and have everything conveniently hotkeyed.  Closest I've found is to actually use hotkeys to switch between bars (which I never use in other games) so I'm constantly shifting between 8 different bars (which is more than I need in other games.)

    It's more of a hassle than anything, because the actual game depth to the abilities on those 8 bars is less than what I see in WOW (where the most bars I use is ~6, with some classes only needing 3-4.)

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • eldarineldarin istanbulPosts: 21Member

     Ragnarok had something like that . You were able to create your own unique toon by giving some stat points and they were permanent, you were not able to change them. I played that game 6-7 years ago .i don't know what happened after i leave .

  • Originally posted by comablak18


        I dont want to persuade NOT to try Darkfall but you did mention something about not wanting to be griefed by more more experienced players at starter areas and Darkfall is notorious for that and the fact that currently there isnt a free trial for it.   However, after reading your responses I think Fallen Earth is more suited to your style.  And with Fallen Earth there is a free trial and if you decide to upgrade to retail the game only costs $40 from Icarus's online store.  www.fallenearth.com/  Youll find the link to the free trial at their website.  Otherwise, if you decide to try Darkfall you'll be shelling out $50 without having played it yet.  Anyways, good luck on what ever decision you make.



     

    Yeah, I went to the website and discovered this lack of a trial period.  I'm suspicious of an MMOG that doesn't allow me to try the game first, but I don't know if trial periods are the norm or the exception in the market today.  I'm currently trying Fallen Earth and am about to give Mortal Online and Atlantica Online a try.  I hear what you folks are saying about Darkfall, and trial or no trial, I'm not sure if I'm up for a game that allows peeps to grief me right from the start.  I'm also playing the open beta for Star Trek Online right now, and frankly... that game is why I posted this thread to begin with.  That and my experiences with LOTR Online just made me wonder if popular MMORPGs these days have all gone the way of WoW and taken advanced skill systems out of the equation.  STO is okay for me only because I've been out of the market for so long and haven't even played a space combat theme yet in an MMOG but I could see how the game could get awfully boring after I've discovered all there is to know in the next month or so.   If only there was an Asheron's Call 3 that copied the mechanics of AC1. *sigh*  Probably my favorite MMOG experience of the last decade.

  • segmentfaultsegmentfault barrie, ONPosts: 75Member

    There is a good reason there is not a trial available for Darkfall:

     

    In Darkfall, you are not allowed any alts.  Paid accounts are only allowed one (1) character slot.  This is because this is a heavy pvp game and you don't want people making alts to spy on other races/clans, etc.  Sure there are always going to be people that purchase another sub, but that's life what can you do.

     

    Bring the element of a trial in will compromise the one-character element of the game.  Already subbed players will play the trial to create a new character.  This in turn will not be good for Darkfall.

     

    The players of Darkfall like the way it is right now and we don't want it to change (much.)  If new people want to come and play then that would be nice.  If not, no loss.

     

     

  • comerbcomerb Seattle, WAPosts: 941Member


    Originally posted by Lum2K

    Originally posted by comablak18

        I dont want to persuade NOT to try Darkfall but you did mention something about not wanting to be griefed by more more experienced players at starter areas and Darkfall is notorious for that and the fact that currently there isnt a free trial for it.   However, after reading your responses I think Fallen Earth is more suited to your style.  And with Fallen Earth there is a free trial and if you decide to upgrade to retail the game only costs $40 from Icarus's online store.  www.fallenearth.com/  Youll find the link to the free trial at their website.  Otherwise, if you decide to try Darkfall you'll be shelling out $50 without having played it yet.  Anyways, good luck on what ever decision you make.


     
    Yeah, I went to the website and discovered this lack of a trial period.  I'm suspicious of an MMOG that doesn't allow me to try the game first, but I don't know if trial periods are the norm or the exception in the market today.  I'm currently trying Fallen Earth and am about to give Mortal Online and Atlantica Online a try.  I hear what you folks are saying about Darkfall, and trial or no trial, I'm not sure if I'm up for a game that allows peeps to grief me right from the start.  I'm also playing the open beta for Star Trek Online right now, and frankly... that game is why I posted this thread to begin with.  That and my experiences with LOTR Online just made me wonder if popular MMORPGs these days have all gone the way of WoW and taken advanced skill systems out of the equation.  STO is okay for me only because I've been out of the market for so long and haven't even played a space combat theme yet in an MMOG but I could see how the game could get awfully boring after I've discovered all there is to know in the next month or so.   If only there was an Asheron's Call 3 that copied the mechanics of AC1. *sigh*  Probably my favorite MMOG experience of the last decade.


     

    As was explained, there are both economic and pvp oriented reasons why darkfall doesn't allow trials. To be honest it speaks a great deal about how important the integrity of the game is to the developers, as free trials would surely add an influx of new players.

    Darkfall is a great game, but if your not sure about being able to handle being killed by moreexperienced players... Well, it's probably not the game for you.

  • Originally posted by segmentfault


    There is a good reason there is not a trial available for Darkfall:
     
    In Darkfall, you are not allowed any alts.  Paid accounts are only allowed one (1) character slot.  This is because this is a heavy pvp game and you don't want people making alts to spy on other races/clans, etc.  Sure there are always going to be people that purchase another sub, but that's life what can you do.
     
    Bring the element of a trial in will compromise the one-character element of the game.  Already subbed players will play the trial to create a new character.  This in turn will not be good for Darkfall.
     
    The players of Darkfall like the way it is right now and we don't want it to change (much.)  If new people want to come and play then that would be nice.  If not, no loss.
     
     



     

    That makes perfect sense to me and actually makes me want to try the game even more.  I don't think I've ever seen an MMOG do that before.  The way you folks describe Darkfall sort of reminds me of the promises of Shadowbane back in the day, but I never played that game, so not sure how it compares.

  • Padre-AdamoPadre-Adamo Philadelphia, PAPosts: 61Member

    I would absolutely love to play Darkfall, but I'm not much of a pvp'er and prefer a more "closed" type of PVP in a game. I'm not knocking that playstyle at all! It's just not for me. I know Darkfall is a pvp game but is it possible for a primarily pve player that only pvps if it is necessary to enjoy the game? Serious question that I'm sure will invoke some sarcastic responses.

  • just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member
    Originally posted by Lum2K


    Thanks again for the suggestions.  Fallen Earth looks nice.  Is it still a good game for newbs?  Is it dominated by high levels who will grief me from the start? LOL   Thanks for all the suggestions but for those suggesting games made years and years ago, frankly.... I'd rather just pick up with Ultima Online or Asheron's Call again.  I'm looking for new games.  I like the post-apocalyptic feel of Fallen Earth and its relatively new release date.  Don't want to be the only newb on the server. LOL 

     

    You wouldn't even be CLOSE to "the only newb on the server." Game is growing all the time. There are PvP areas that when you walk into them...you're warned on your screen, so...I suppose you could always turn around and go the other way....or take your chances. When you die, no one is going to take all your shit, but you do lose some xp and incur a  debuff, that I believe stacks with each death or something.

     

    But the answer is no...you're not going to get ganked all day and night while you're just trying to "grow up" in the wastelands.

     

    10 Day Trial FTW....and as far as "newb friendly," it's "newb friendly" if you're a "newb" that has a mind of their own, knows how to mouse over things and actually knows how to READ, and doesn't mind exploring your UI for a minute to find out where things are. In other words....come equipped with a brain....and you'll be good to go.

     

    Fallen Earth is "classless," as in...you can train to do what you want, but I wouldn't try to "do it all," because then you'll gimp yourself.  Pick a few things to focus on.  They have not made it so you can be good at EVERYTHING. You'll have to make some decisions.

     

    Great game though, imo....but it has a learning curve. As long as you don't come expecting things to be handed to you on a silver platter, you should really enjoy the journey....or at least I am. :)

     

    President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  • CrownanCrownan Granite Bay, CAPosts: 2Member

    What about DDO?  Your criterion of having to know how to build and play your character definitely apply there.  There are infinite ways and 'character builds' suggested but it comes down to knowing how to play your character and take advantage of what they're good at while adjusting to their weaknesses.

     

     

  • MardyMardy hollywood, CAPosts: 2,213Member

    I miss AC, I really wish Turbine would give us an updated AC1 with today's graphics, engine, interface, while keeping the same gameplay and lore of Asheron's Call 1.

    EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

  • ScottcScottc Fort Walton Beach, FLPosts: 680Member

    I love how people come to threads like these and all they do is list their favorite game of choice, and it becomes really clear that they have no idea what Asheron's Call's skill system was like.  To answer your question op, no game out there has a skill system like ACs.  A lot of things about that game were unique and haven't been replicated since.

  • DaywolfDaywolf Winchester, CAPosts: 749Member

    Originally posted by carmstro64

     

    that game is what i used to play along with AC

     

    its not new but its fun

    uhhh... don't you mean http://www.meridian59.com/  ?? The link you provided seems to be to an EMU site... 5 month bump to promo an EMU site?

    M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.