Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning RE donating money to Fallen Sword

myopemyope Member Posts: 1

I have been playing Fallen Sword for about a month now. It's great. It's online; no downloading; the people are great; I loved my Guild. Until I realized I could donate $5 to the game, and get 25 Fallen Sword Points to use to upgrade my backpack. So I used Paypal to send Hunted Cow Studios $5. Payment went through, no problems.

I then went back to the game to find that I had been locked out. It gave a message saying that since this was the first time I'd given money to the game, they needed to verify my identity, and to please give them my phone number. Fine, I enter my phone number. Doesn't work. Something with the international phone number field doesn't like my phone number, and I now have to call or email them.

I'm super annoyed at this point because one of my guildies just buffed me and I'm locked out of the game. Grr.

I use their online form. I find a real person to email. I sign up for international calling so I can call this phone number. I get "this number has been disconnected." Great.

After about 30 minutes, I hear back from the support site. They now want a copy of my utility bill scanned in to verify my identity. No, I think, this has gone too far. This is why I use Paypal because it verifies me. Cancel my transaction, refund my money, and unblock my account I tell them. They reply, allright we can do that, but we're going to cancel your account. And btw, that fake account you made to let your guildies know why you weren't online, we deleted that too. And we now know your IP address, and have blocked it from ever creating a new account. So no posting this to the forum.

I don't know if my guildies got the message since they deleted that account too. I hope so. I was a good player. I didn't attack people just to raise my PvP. I didn't create a fake character just to have the extra backpack space. I was trying to go about things the right way. These are the rewards of playing within the system. Maybe if I played WoW and had been paying all along, I would have been treated better? Think I'll go back to consoles for a bit.

Full Documentation from Hunted Cow Studios Direct Game Support:

Ticket List » WLP-549215

Michelle

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 02:25 PM

Hi! I used the Rewards screen to Paypal money for FSP. I couldn't get the phone number field to accept my phone number. I'm in the USA. 00 1 xxx xxx xxxx

thanks!

Myope

I also tried to call 011 44 844 357 6185. It said it was a non working number.

Support

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 02:54 PM

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having problems verifying your payment. We need proof of your identity before we can unsuspend the account and assign you the relevant points. A scan of a document (such as a Utility bill) which confirms your name and address (dated within the last 3 months) attached in reply to this ticket will clear this up, please attach the document in jpeg format. Note you can block out any of your financial information as we just need it to confirm who you are as we could not do this via our automated system

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and if you have any issues with this please reply back and we can help you further!

Please note that we are not based in the USA, that is why we have our number listed with the +44 country code, we are in the UK.

Regards,

Hunted Cow Support.

Hunted Cow Studios Ltd is a company registered in Scotland under company number SC262870 and registered office/trading address at 100 High Street, Elgin, Moray, IV30 1BW, Scotland. Our VAT number is GB 855 4765 86.

Michelle

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 03:07 PM

No sir. You do not need a scan of my utility bill. This is why I use Paypal, because it is secure and it has verified me. Cancel this transaction. I will never try to send you funds again. I am considering not playing the game anymore. This has been way too much hassle for something so simple.

Support

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 03:22 PM

Hi there,

Due to the nature of our business we receive a large amount of online fraud, hence when a new payment is made and cannot be verified we have no choice but to suspend the account as the purchase could quickly be traded away and have a negative effect on our game economy.

Since you were unable to use our automatic phone verification system we are required to ask you to provide the requested documentation and confirm your identity.

However, if you wish a full refund please reply with your transaction ID however doing so will mean that this game account will be permanently closed.

Regards,

Hunted Cow Support.

Michelle

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 03:29 PM

Refund my money. Close my account. I will let all my guild members know why. If this is your expectation of customer service, expect to lose more players.

Support

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 03:34 PM

Hi there,

OK, we shall refund the payment now. Please note that you are not permitted to play the game from any further accounts, your clone account 'Myope2' has been terminated.

Regards,

Hunted Cow Support.

Michelle

Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 03:44 PM

I needed to let my guild-mates know what happened to me. You locked me out.

Comments

• skunkdaddyskunkdaddy Member Posts: 1

I played for over a year and donated money several times to Fallensword,and had upgraded my character a lot.I recently recruited several people into the game,and because of the pvp aspect of the game,would hold on to the gold for them until they got enough to buy an fsp,the game currency.I helped get them gear,and upgrade,then all of a sudden,FS shut down all their accounts,mine and my wifes,and when asked why,claimed we were "gold farming" from clone accounts,even tho most of these accounts were in totally different states.When I protested and said that each player could verify who they were,they got mad at me and said there was now a ban on my IP address.My wife and I had spent several hundred dollars upgrading our characters,yet I was informed that it wasnt MY character but property of hunted cow studios,and that because they were registered in scotland,I had no legal rights to do anything about it.My advice to anyone wanting to play fallensword,is either dont,or dont donate any money to them.Being on a fixed income,losing several hundred dollars worth of upgrades HUIRT !

• CmdrVimesCmdrVimes Member UncommonPosts: 19

Considering all the warnings in the media and on-line about the scams used to phish details for the use of identity theft, I would be deeply suspicious of any company/individual that required a utility bill over a paypal transaction.  It's amazing what a criminal can achieve with just a name, address and telephone number.

It would seem, if the posts above are true, that this company needs to review its practices re payments as currently they are unacceptable.  In all my years of gaming I have yet to have a company require a scan of a utility bill or other document and would deem such a request as highly suspicious. 

Also their response to the two people above is petty, childish, vindictive and wholly unprofessional.  My advice would be to stay away from this game and go with a company that at least offers alternatives when things go wrong and behaves in a mature and professional manner.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Woah, I clicked on this forum by accident while trying to get to the Fallen Earth forum. But I'm glad I saw this thread. This sounds a lot like some crap that happened to myself and some friends of mine when playing a game called Zelderex Online. These little games that are usually created/owned/run by only one person or just a few people often pull these stunts. They stay out of the sight of law enforcement either by operating in foerign countries and/or by keeping the identity of the owners secret so nobody can come after them. Anyone with a negative opinion of their product is silenced quickly with a perma ban from the game and all official forums. I never play small games when I can't tell who the owner is or where they are located anymore because of incidents like this.

This is also a great example of why guilds/clans/ect should ALWAYS have a froum, website and voice chat for members to communicate outside of the game. Don't join a guild if it doesn't offer atleast a forum of some kind and always use a forum when its offered. Guilds which do this have much better communication and loyalty between members.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Wow...that's pretty bad.

• Domin8rixDomin8rix Member Posts: 1

Please dont play Fallen Sword!! My husband and I both played this game.  And as the above thecomments were made, we ran into the same problem.  We were asked to send them a copy of our driver license, social security card or a utility bill to verify we were not a multiple account.  They only allow 1 account per person.  But, they get this info and it is ok to play.  Well, what if you have 15 cousins and brothers and uncles who give you some dummy form or id to play from your IP address, and it is really just you playing multiple accounts?  Their customer service offers no service what so ever.  After you have contributed time, money and contributing xp into your current guild they will terminate your account for some stupid reason and offer no apologies.  This is to keep the top contributing players and guilds on top and to keep them happy so they will keep the bank roll coming in.  They have a list of rules but the rules widely vary from person to person.  

If you make a post in the forum (community) and they dont agree with suggestions or comments, your post will be deleted, to sweep it under the rug.  "Out of site, out of mind".  Hunted Cow Studios is a joke!!!! They will let you give them money to upgrade your character, then tell you, that character doesnt belong to you, it is their property!  Then terminate you, basically it is cyber theft!! There are people who have multiple accounts and HCS knows about them and does nothing because they  spend loads of money and recruit players.  Like they work for HCS, under the table.  

Please dont waste your time or money on this game.  They dont even have a working phone number you can call to discuss problems......A total rip off!!!

• XenorusXenorus Member Posts: 37

Just incase anyone still cares or reads this thread, by sheer chance there are a few people from this company coming across to where I live in Northern Ireland to give a speech on web development and video games in one of the local colleges. I think they are looking to recruit people around the same time. Ill make a nice print out of this thread and take it along to the Q and A and see if I can get some results for you all.

Also the company is based in Moray in Scotland, so if you want to take a shot at them at all, you can do so under UK law. I checked them under companies house which all businesses register under and their information is incorrect as the phone number does not work, so I made them aware of that as well.

www.noobwarfare.com - Marching to war against the morons of the world.

• rupkingrupking Member Posts: 2

My only question is why does this website which is suppose to promote MMropg gaming is taking money for a banner ad.  Really makes me question the validity of MMORPG.com

• BigglesVIIBigglesVII Member Posts: 4

I have been playing fallensword since 2008 it's a great game. I have bought their FSP (Game Currency) multiple times using Paypal and other methods and I have never been asked to prove my identity.

The only time I have been asked to prove my identity was when my girlfriend at the time started playing and we was using the same IP address. I didn't have a problem with it at the time because there was alot of players multi-accounting to defraud the game.

The only other reason I would have thought they would ask for identification is if the paypal account hasnt been verified which involves a phone call from Paypal.

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by rupking

My only question is why does this website which is suppose to promote MMropg gaming is taking money for a banner ad.  Really makes me question the validity of MMORPG.com

Well the costs to run the servers and keep the comunity going maybe?

• BigglesVIIBigglesVII Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by shane242

They bought some new servers last week to reduce lag at peak time aswell.

• oldestgameroldestgamer Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by BigglesVII

Originally posted by shane242

They bought some new servers last week to reduce lag at peak time aswell.

It's still worse than ever.  They have admitted the game is slow because the code they use is poor, and say they are trying to fix it, but the new interface they tested was even slower than the old one.  New servers do not help if the delay is because the code is aweful.

• exiledreamzexiledreamz Member Posts: 1

Don't Play This Game Or If You Do Read The "Terms Of Agreement" As It States They Own Your Account & Can Ban You For No Reason Whatsoever...Spend Your Money On Something Better They Banned 6 Of My Family Members From The Game For Nothing So Buyers Beware...They Reside In Scotland So US Laws Are Voided Which Allows Them To Cyber Theft You For Everything You Pay & You'll Never Get A Dime Back So Please Spread The Message Along & Lets Shut These Thieving Bastards Down For Good Or At Least Till They Reformat Their Ways!

Notice Below: Any Negative Stuff Posted They Will Delete Your Comment Because They Know The Truth!

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Why are you watching illegally downloaded episodes of Gossip Girl? You steal from TV studios, computer companies steal from you. What goes around, comes around.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112

All rights and titles in and to the Website and in any of our published games (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animation, sounds, musical, compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into the game(s), transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of game play, and the game(s) client and server software) are owned by XXXX or have been licensed to XXXX.

This is from a different game, and is common across all mmo's. What this says is that the char you made, the items you buy, the equips you craft, etc; are all owned by the publisher of the game, not you. try reading the EULA and TOS...

• exileofdreamz1exileofdreamz1 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Jimmac

Why are you watching illegally downloaded episodes of Gossip Girl? You steal from TV studios, computer companies steal from you. What goes around, comes around.

Actually gossip girl airs on local television so it's free for everyone so your a dumba--. And I'm pretty sure 99% of the people with internet do illegal things online I'm sorry you don't know how to work a computer.

Anyways Hunted Cow Studios still hasn't changed it's ways but I have happy news for everyone screwed by them. their numbers went from over 10,000 down to 400-800 daily xDDDD that will teach them for screwing people over and stealing money from customers.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by ariasaitcho

All rights and titles in and to the Website and in any of our published games (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animation, sounds, musical, compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into the game(s), transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of game play, and the game(s) client and server software) are owned by XXXX or have been licensed to XXXX. This is from a different game, and is common across all mmo's. What this says is that the char you made, the items you buy, the equips you craft, etc; are all owned by the publisher of the game, not you. try reading the EULA and TOS...

EULA's are routinely voided by courts, for two reasons: you don't need to read or sign it to play, just need to scroll down and click; also you can't void the rights of a consumer with a contract in the US. Virtual property is a nasty legal area now, the US is in need of some kind of coherent laws. Actually, the EU can and has arrested people for virtual property theft, and allows software companies to be sued for wrongfully denying clients virtual assets. This is just going to become more and more of a legal problem both internationally and within US borders as virtual property becomes more common and more valuable.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

So let me get this right....

They suspend your account when you buy something legit from their website thru a secure channel like Paypall and they are not willing to unlock your ingame character due to verification. Yet they seem able to close your account without the same verification.

So they trust you being you to close the account but not trust you to unlock your account??

If I got this right?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Super-duper thread necro!

Multiple times, even.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil