Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Rise of the Godslayer Factions, Part One

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Over the next two days, MMORPG.com will be introducing the new factions being brought into Age of Conan in their upcoming expansion, Rise of the Godslayer.

There are twelve new factions altogether, two of which remain secret until the player actively seeks them out. Depending on which factions players choose to align themselves with, other factions might become hostile or friendly, providing countless hours of new experiences. All areas of the land of Khitai are inhabited by different factions; some groups choose to stay close to their local region while others roam through the land.

The different factions provide quests and new lines of gameplay, in addition to answer many of the questions regarding the myths and lore of Khitai. All aspects of faction gameplay will have an effect on the chosen path of the player, and players will be able to rise within the ranks of each faction. A new graphical user interface helps you track your standing and progress within each faction.

Read Rise of the Godslayer Factions, Part One.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

"A third and fast mount is left up to the players to discover for themselves."

Hmm, nice update on the factions. I like the ability to earn your way into favour.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

12 factions is to much.  I would say that 6 would pretty much do it and give more varety in terms of diffrent storylines.  12 means that everyone will feel exactly the same.  More is not always better - and in many cases brings more problems than it fixes. 

Not to mention that its all humans....  wearing the exactly same armors and pretty much all looking the same. Factions work much better in games like WOW - WAR where more diffrence in character (creature) looks make for more intresting storyline. 

Again - Just my opinion. 

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

Sounds ok, yup 12 factions does sound like rather a lot, but there are 12 classes in the game also. Perhaps each class will be better rewarded by gaining favour with a particlular faction. We'll see.

I'll be more focused on seeking out the fast mount mentioned, since I disagree with the wolf and tiger mounts in principle.

[Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Sweet..12 does sound like alot, but at the same time it's alot of content, and people always love that :)

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

So is this RvR or just npc factions to do quests for?

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

Sounds like good stuff, but is it too little too late? I for one have tried to get back into AoC but found it shallow, got to 80 and quests were worthless. All I had to do was raid once a week (lockout) for T1 raid gear, the racial armor I had was some of the best I could get, better then loot from dungeons. So I found myself with no way to progress or advance my character aside from these 1 week raids.

It is my hope that Godslayer add's more meta-games or ways to advance your character for long term development. Without a level cap increase some sort of AA system would be nice, or something to give me goals for PvE (or heck, give me incentive to PvP aside from just the act itself).

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

Originally posted by Darkjinxter

Sounds ok, yup 12 factions does sound like rather a lot, but there are 12 classes in the game also. Perhaps each class will be better rewarded by gaining favour with a particlular faction. We'll see.

I'll be more focused on seeking out the fast mount mentioned, since I disagree with the wolf and tiger mounts in principle.
    [Disclaimer : I play AoC mainly because I am a fan of RE Howard's Conan stories, and the excellent community that exists on the server Crom]

Yes  - there are 12 classes but it wouldn't have hurt the game much to have just 6.  And it would have been alot easier to manage balance for the game.   Same thing is with the factions.  It also creates problems when half of the gamers are prevented to play with you when you have to choose sides like AOC is setting up in their game.  

Aoin did the right thing in starting the game with just 4 classes.  Get those right before you add more.  Atm both WAR and AOC are having problems balancing content "and loot" for so many classes.  And tbh AOC will have alot more problems when items actually start to have some meaning in the game.

More isn't always better.  Its the quality that counts.

• Seems that Funcom dev have played some Guild Wars and Warhammer Online lately.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

God, its hard to believe how negative you guys are.

For a ridiculously small amount of money you can play this company's new expansion pack that comes loaded with an insane amount of content and entertainment. This expansion seems to have more heart and thought put into it than any other MMO expansion that I've read about.

Yet what it gets here on this forum? Well lets nit pick because there's "too much".

I guess Age of Conan really is cursed to fail. People don't give it a fair chance and doesn't seem like they ever will.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't see how it can be viewed as too many factions especially considering the way you can move between them with your loyalty. It sounds as though it's basically a little deeper version of elder scrolls style factions. 12 makes sense in an MMO you can never have to much content in an MMO. The more the better, saying otherwise shows you're really only grasping at straws to complain about anything AOC.

Really can you not see the irony in this? All we've heard about AOC was FC didn't do enough, no, now the complaint is they're doing to much.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

The 12 factions don't have to be "too much" if FC just lets the player able to join several factions (which I guess they most likely will). Of course there will be some factions at war with each other, denying alliance with both of them; but I doubt it will be like if you choose one, 11 end up hating you.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• beachardbeachard Member Posts: 1

if you didnt read the whole thing it says "Depending on which factions players choose to align themselves with, other factions might become hostile or friendly, providing countless hours of new experiences".

So you can be friendly and work towards way more things with every faction you become friendly with. Think how many new Quests and content that is with 12 factions and your factions friendly with 4 of them and theres 4 tiers of armor for each faction and a whole butt load of other things!!

This will also lead to that if you are friendly with one faction then you will be sent out on a quest to go and kill thugs trying to kill your leader for example and the other real players that are friendly with the faction trying to kill your leader will have the same quest to kill the leader instead of saving him. Quote below

"Players can get involved with this conflict by choosing a side and fighting alongside them on a massive open battlefield, though quests will often place you in the midst of the action anyway. One quest, for example, pits you against a house full of thugs with the ultimate goal of beheading their leader. Sounds simple, right? Well, the opposing factions get the same quest, so you won't just be battling thugs -- you'll be battling players too."

From the Chosain Province artical at IGN.com

http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1061174p1.html

Originally posted by beachard

"Players can get involved with this conflict by choosing a side and fighting alongside them on a massive open battlefield, though quests will often place you in the midst of the action anyway. One quest, for example, pits you against a house full of thugs with the ultimate goal of beheading their leader. Sounds simple, right? Well, the opposing factions get the same quest, so you won't just be battling thugs -- you'll be battling players too."
    From the Chosain Province artical at IGN.com
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1061174p1.html

The thing is - you would be battering players too if there were 2 factions in the game.  12 means that the atctual PVP content (it that is the point) will be spread thin and the chance of ppl actually meating oposition faction players is very little. 

But I would be very carefull at this point talking about all these factions.  We might actually see the expansion with just 4 starting factions cause it really sounds to me that yet again - FUncom will be launching a half finished product.

Btw - I still can't see why there need to be 12 factions in 6 maps.  There could be 2-4-6 and still create more of a storyline than jumping betweein maps and joining up with totally new faction.   Story is not made intresting by creating alot of things.  It is created by making the improtant things stand out.  12 factions will not stand out.   And 12 factions does not mean that there will be more of quests than if there were just 2.  It just means it will be spread out into more of a miniquests.  

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by Aramanu2

So is this RvR or just npc factions to do quests for?

Sounds like PvE factions, similar to Fallen Earth.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

For a ridiculously small amount of money you can play this company's new expansion pack that comes loaded with an insane amount of content and entertainment. This expansion seems to have more heart and thought put into it than any other MMO expansion that I've read about.
    Yet what it gets here on this forum? Well lets nit pick because there's "too much".
    I guess Age of Conan really is cursed to fail. People don't give it a fair chance and doesn't seem like they ever will.

AoC had a bad launch not aided by the fact that Funcom were less than honest in the eyes of many.

As a result the game has a bad reputation that it does not seem to be able to shake?

So the lesson is that MMOs don't get too many chances.

Finish your damn game... get it right at launch.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

I would assume there is some form of alliance between the factions as well as conflict in which case 12 factions with 3 loosly aliigned groups of 4 with internal strugles as wells the major strugles between the 3 major groups of factions chould be intersting but even if its simply 12 seperate factions its an improvment and one I would cant wait to see perhaps I will resub.

• MadninMadnin Member Posts: 55

Whatever previous feelings towards funcom, it looks like they're trying. So much so that I might just have to try out this new xpac. As a previous poster stated that Aion was right for only having 4 classes, these are factions not classes. And I very much then and now think that 4 (8 after lvl 10) was not enough, not near enough. Really agree with the fact that it seems it doesn't matter what the devs do, they're doomed and should probably just file for disability and stay home. 12 new factions seems like it will add a whole lot of new content and purpose to experience, and sounds inviting to me. But.....that's just me HO.

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. ... Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not?" --Patrick Henry

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Gyrus

AoC had a bad launch not aided by the fact that Funcom were less than honest in the eyes of many.

As a result the game has a bad reputation that it does not seem to be able to shake?

A bit of advise for you... Never work for the gaming industry, especially within the MMORPG realm... You are simply unrealistic and extremely biased and feel "gipped" for a game in which was marketed so strongly, that you fell for its pitch.. you and many like you are unrealistic imbeciles that have no idea how amazingly difficult it is to make an MMO (AT EVERY LEVEL AND POINT). Alot of companies do their best to release a product based on available time, funds, and talent. No company is perfect and ever launch I have been in with MMO's has been pretty terrible, some less than others. With that said, stop talking about "Finish your damn game... get it right at launch" since you have absolutely no idea what your talking about or the fact that it is impossible to do so.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I believe the reson they are holding off giving a release date for the expansion is so that they finish it properly, Funcom has learnt a lot from AoC launch and has made much attempt not to only correct the mistakes, but to also make sure they do not happen again.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Arioc

Sounds like good stuff, but is it too little too late? I for one have tried to get back into AoC but found it shallow, got to 80 and quests were worthless. All I had to do was raid once a week (lockout) for T1 raid gear, the racial armor I had was some of the best I could get, better then loot from dungeons. So I found myself with no way to progress or advance my character aside from these 1 week raids.
    It is my hope that Godslayer add's more meta-games or ways to advance your character for long term development. Without a level cap increase some sort of AA system would be nice, or something to give me goals for PvE (or heck, give me incentive to PvP aside from just the act itself).

Hi Arioc, I see where you are coming from. There will be a whole indepth AA system with the Expansion which is different to just increasing the level cap in other games regularly. The AA system is supposed to let you branch off in multi directions. We shall have to wait for more info there to release but it promises to be just what the doctor ordered.

As the expansion itself, we know already released to the public at least another half a dozen raid encounters and prior to this there will be the T3 update on live server. Not sure if you saw the recent "Shrines of Bori" update coming soon with or before the expansion too, which is all brand new PvP incentive content coupled with the Tower PVP stuff coming as well.

There really is alot of development over the next few months which I think would cross off some of the issues you have with the core game right now. (Just to keep you in the loop at little if you didn't know already)  :)

• 1Kurgan11Kurgan1 Member Posts: 11

So does this mean faction based combat, or what does this mean? I mean they do a good job of talking this up, but I remember before the game released, the big promise was no Rep Grinds, and this does sound like a rep grind if there ever was one, especially with fantastic rewards from each faction. Which I am not completely opposed to, but I still feel this game needs a bit of unity, with FFA PvP it just feels too random.

Originally posted by maitrader

People don't give it a fair chance and doesn't seem like they ever will.

A bit of advise for you... Never work for the gaming industry, especially within the MMORPG realm... You are simply unrealistic and extremely biased and feel "gipped" for a game in which was marketed so strongly, that you fell for its pitch.. you and many like you are unrealistic imbeciles that have no idea how amazingly difficult it is to make an MMO (AT EVERY LEVEL AND POINT). Alot of companies do their best to release a product based on available time, funds, and talent. No company is perfect and ever launch I have been in with MMO's has been pretty terrible, some less than others. With that said, stop talking about "Finish your damn game... get it right at launch" since you have absolutely no idea what your talking about or the fact that it is impossible to do so.

A bit of advice for you... don't assume that everyone who posts about AoC got "gipped".

I most certainly didn't.

Speaking for myself, I don't buy MMOs at release.  Never have, never will.

With regard to AoC I saw the warning signs pre release and sat back to watch the fun.

So, I guess that makes me a biased know-it-all who will never give AoC a chance?

Again, wrong.  I downloaded it just before Christmas for the trial which I have just dabbled with so far.  I want to see what it's like now and what works and what doesn't.  Who knows - I may like it and sub up?  Too early to tell.

As for "Finish your damn game... get it right at launch"?

No doubt you are referring to the fact that MMOs are never 'finished'?

That is semantics.

"Finished" at am MMO launch can mean "all the features in game work as intended"

That does not mean you may not add more later.

And you tell your customers (at launch) what is in game at launch.  Not what you plan to add 'soon' if everything goes well.

As an example look at Wizard 101 by KingsIsle

At launch that game was 'finished'.  You could play the plot through from start to finish and the game felt complete... although to be fair it did feel a little short on content - which I said at the time on this site.

KingsIsle did not promise anything.  They sold the game as it was for what it was.

The game was 'finished'.

Since then they have added player housing, crafting, mounts and two new 'worlds'.

But they did it the 'right way'.  They did not hype up a game with promises of things to come.

They sell the game for what it is - what they know they can deliver.

Had AoC (and several other titles released over the past couple of years) done that - they might not be fighting an uphill battle to rebuild shattered reputaions now.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

People don't give it a fair chance and doesn't seem like they ever will.

A bit of advice for you... don't assume that everyone who posts about AoC got "gipped".

I most certainly didn't.

Speaking for myself, I don't buy MMOs at release.  Never have, never will.

With regard to AoC I saw the warning signs pre release and sat back to watch the fun.

So, I guess that makes me a biased know-it-all who will never give AoC a chance?

Again, wrong.  I downloaded it just before Christmas for the trial which I have just dabbled with so far.  I want to see what it's like now and what works and what doesn't.  Who knows - I may like it and sub up?  Too early to tell.

As for "Finish your damn game... get it right at launch"?

No doubt you are referring to the fact that MMOs are never 'finished'?

That is semantics.

"Finished" at am MMO launch can mean "all the features in game work as intended"

That does not mean you may not add more later.

And you tell your customers (at launch) what is in game at launch.  Not what you plan to add 'soon' if everything goes well.

As an example look at Wizard 101 by KingsIsle

At launch that game was 'finished'.  You could play the plot through from start to finish and the game felt complete... although to be fair it did feel a little short on content - which I said at the time on this site.

KingsIsle did not promise anything.  They sold the game as it was for what it was.

The game was 'finished'.

Since then they have added player housing, crafting, mounts and two new 'worlds'.

But they did it the 'right way'.  They did not hype up a game with promises of things to come.

They sell the game for what it is - what they know they can deliver.

Had AoC (and several other titles released over the past couple of years) done that - they might not be fighting an uphill battle to rebuild shattered reputaions now.

Agreed that Wizard 101 had a very smooth ride, but please take time to look at the audience they were catering too... the challenge to make a fluid game for their demographic is far simpler than it was for AoC, the first mature rated MMO in existence... Look I apologize for becoming irritated and singling your post out.. I just do not like to see people gnit-pick Funcom when they have never had any mal-intentions towards their fans. Unlike Blizzard who snaps at the sound of their fans fingers, Funcom has always developed its games with an open ear to their fans, but still did not bend so far as to lose their head in their ass. The game at launch was far from finished... Aion is FAR from finished... WAR is one of the most unfinished games in the MMO history... for those who say AOC is the worst of them all, and that they feel "gipped or violated" is ridiculous, and passed judgement before even giving FC a shot to make a game of this complication what it should be.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

i would not say war and Aion were unfinished.  I think they just suffered from bad game design choices.  Aions being grind,  wars was just a damn mess and i think very unsalvagable.  They had almost all the zones and fetures.

Aoc though was unfinished,  very unstable.  but in the end it was extremely salvagable as you can see in its current state.  A lot of mid level content was just absent and the game was not that stable to begin with.

Agreed that Wizard 101 had a very smooth ride, but please take time to look at the audience they were catering too... the challenge to make a fluid game for their demographic is far simpler than it was for AoC, the first mature rated MMO in existence...
    I agree about the different Audience - but who set the bar so high for Funcom?  Funcom did!

They talked the game up so much and made promise upon promise... not to mention that they let their Fanbois take every Dev quote and run with it?  Until in the end no-one knew what was a Dev quote vs a fanboi fantasy?  They should have come down hard on that from day one.

... The game at launch was far from finished... Aion is FAR from finished... WAR is one of the most unfinished games in the MMO history... for those who say AOC is the worst of them all, and that they feel "gipped or violated" is ridiculous, and passed judgement before even giving FC a shot to make a game of this complication what it should be.

That's what I meant about other titles over the past couple of years (you could add PotBS, Champions Online and several more to that list too).

And what's more it looks like we are about to see another release in the next couple of weeks of another title to add to that list.

But, no, sorry... players do not have to give any developer a shot to make a game what it should be post launch.

Developers need to be a bit more realistic about their capabilities and deliver what they can deliver properly.  Particularly at launch.

AoC could have 'cut' features for release - provided they were honest about what they were actually delivering at that time.