Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

you know what , if anything should be vast , its space. this feels like a fishtank.

2»

Comments

  • SoldarithSoldarith West Chester, PAPosts: 184Member

    Something that one poster mentioned in this thread that I thought warranted mentioning again was the absolute lack of voices in all NPCs. When I click an NPC, I'd like to hear something, anything. The entire game is so devoid of sounds, it just makes the NPCs that much more lifeless.

    And for the "this is beta" comment: no it isn't. This is open beta, which is a developers chance to show the general public their game the way it will be on release day, minus perhaps some bug fixes here/there. Open beta tests are considered essentially finished products. And for them to put this product into open beta, in its current condition, tells me exactly what I need to know to not purchase this game.

  • TimzillaTimzilla Ramona, CAPosts: 437Member

    I think sector space is a great visualization of space travel and the connectiveness of everything. Well done Cryptic.

  • ShijeerShijeer NottinghamPosts: 131Member
    Originally posted by Timzilla


    I think sector space is a great visualization of space travel and the connectiveness of everything. Well done Cryptic.

     

    While I do think it could have been done better, must admit I tend to agree with you in a general way, however they should have done is from higher above and without the direct 'combat' controls, much more tactical point and click RTS style (2d plane) silky smooth with trajectory paths. Would have broken down the tedium quite nicely, also moving encounters, definitely more encounters.



    - Shijeer

    image

  • JKnight1JKnight1 Hamilton, OHPosts: 72Member

    You guys do realize that, out of all the sectors in the game, there are what, only 3 unlocked for OB? This is why it feels so small, not all of the content is open for us yet. It's finished, but they wanna focus on the beginning sectors first. Makes perfect sense to me.

  • AgtSmithAgtSmith Sarasota, FLPosts: 1,498Member

    Hrm, what have we learned of game that lock people in starting areas early on ... hrm, what was that again ... oh yeah, there isn't anything more to see but more of the same.

    --------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

  • GetViolatedGetViolated LA, CAPosts: 335Member
    Originally posted by AgtSmith


    Hrm, what have we learned of game that lock people in starting areas early on ... hrm, what was that again ... oh yeah, there isn't anything more to see but more of the same.

     

    AoC?

  • JKnight1JKnight1 Hamilton, OHPosts: 72Member

    No. They are only locked for the open beta. As they want to test the early content, you know, the stuff EVERYONE is gonna see first? Fix that before launch, before one worries about the later stuff. Duh.

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by JKnight1


    No. They are only locked for the open beta. As they want to test the early content, you know, the stuff EVERYONE is gonna see first? Fix that before launch, before one worries about the later stuff. Duh.

     

    So your trying to say they just got around to testing the areas they built first? So if OB has people locked out of the higher areas so that they can be tested, when can we expect them to start testing the later areas?

     

    But coming from CB I know the poster was correct when they said simply more of the same later on. There is no great variety later on you are going to be doing the exact same thing in areas that look fairly similar over and over and over. What you see in the areas you see now is what you can expect later on. Not a great deal of difference. Just like CO this game lacks variety and depth and gets very repetitive fast. 

  • JKnight1JKnight1 Hamilton, OHPosts: 72Member

    No, they're testing the starting areas and it's surroundings, as any person with common sense would do. Have you played the higher content? From what i've heard, it gets better the further along you go. I don see how it lacks depth. I've saved a primitive race from poisoning, saved scientists from a burning asteroid base, fought my way through klingons to secure communications data, then defending my post. I've defeated warships, saved hostages, delivered supplies, defeated an invasion on a small town, i've had to scan for anomolies, scan suspicious things, deactivate shields to fight the captain of an enemy ship, i've had to scan strange plantlife with energy readings, while defending against a nausican ambush, scan wreckage on a barren planet, etc.

     

    If that's lacking depth, then you have way too high of standards.

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by JKnight1


    No, they're testing the starting areas and it's surroundings, as any person with common sense would do. Have you played the higher content? From what i've heard, it gets better the further along you go. I don see how it lacks depth. I've saved a primitive race from poisoning, saved scientists from a burning asteroid base, fought my way through klingons to secure communications data, then defending my post. I've defeated warships, saved hostages, delivered supplies, defeated an invasion on a small town, i've had to scan for anomolies, scan suspicious things, deactivate shields to fight the captain of an enemy ship, i've had to scan strange plantlife with energy readings, while defending against a nausican ambush, scan wreckage on a barren planet, etc.
     
    If that's lacking depth, then you have way too high of standards.

     

    Yes I've played higher level content lol. You run around and kill stuff and click blinkies. From what I've SEEN it does not get any better. Same missions, same objectives, just different skins lol. If thats depth to you then your standards are to low. 

  • wuckswucks GlasgowPosts: 114Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by JKnight1
    No, they're testing the starting areas and it's surroundings, as any person with common sense would do. Have you played the higher content? From what i've heard, it gets better the further along you go. I don see how it lacks depth. I've saved a primitive race from poisoning, saved scientists from a burning asteroid base, fought my way through klingons to secure communications data, then defending my post. I've defeated warships, saved hostages, delivered supplies, defeated an invasion on a small town, i've had to scan for anomolies, scan suspicious things, deactivate shields to fight the captain of an enemy ship, i've had to scan strange plantlife with energy readings, while defending against a nausican ambush, scan wreckage on a barren planet, etc.

    If that's lacking depth, then you have way too high of standards.


    Regardless of the accompanying text, the actions you carry out are virtually the same. This does not change later, you simply fly in circles around slightly larger ships.

  •  I'm curious,  what exactly do you want from developers...  seriously now do you want every MMO to end up as duke nukem forever?  take a decade and still be working on it?  the industry would die.  seriously there's only so much a team can do with the time their producers, licensers, and stockholders are willing to give.  would  I have liked more in the begining, sure,  would I have liked more depth,  yeah alright i would have, would I have liked voice acting on all NPCs... no quite frankly because that gets annoying after awhile.  Is it more variety that I've seen in alot of MMOs yeah... pretty much...  have to say every MMO so far boils down to:  Kill X of this for Y  then go to Z and kill 3 Bs and collect 12 Cs from Ds.  that's MMOs,  that's what we've decided to play and just saying there should be more or should be less or should be whatever isn't going to change the fact that that's what an MMO is,  just like a platformer is going to have you jumping around or an action game is going to have you running somewhere killing something with a weapon.  there's only so much someone can do with the genre.  

     

    Back on topic.  I honestly like the feel think they did a surprisingly good job of capturing star trek as it was in the DS9 era (I.E. during a massive war) and am surprisingly pleased to say this is probably one of the better games to use the IP... at least they actually seemed to care about doing it to make a playable game.  as for bugs,  every game has bugs in it, and fixing one will just make a thousand others pop up,  that's the nature of computers,  they're made by people they have flaws.  it's playable and somewhat entertaining.  good to kill a few hours on a rainy day and quite frankly that's what a game was made to do.  they'll slowly add more and advance it and given time they could add many more features.  no need to condemn every game in it's beta... give it a little while at least and then,  just let the people that like it play, cause chances are the people that matter: I.E. the devs stopped reading MMORPG.com a long time ago from most companies because most of the comments are complaining about thing they might actually enjoy or have little to no focus.... And that people is what grinds my gears

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Karse


     I'm curious,  what exactly do you want from developers...  seriously now do you want every MMO to end up as duke nukem forever?  take a decade and still be working on it?  the industry would die.  seriously there's only so much a team can do with the time their producers, licensers, and stockholders are willing to give.  would  I have liked more in the begining, sure,  would I have liked more depth,  yeah alright i would have, would I have liked voice acting on all NPCs... no quite frankly because that gets annoying after awhile.  Is it more variety that I've seen in alot of MMOs yeah... pretty much...  have to say every MMO so far boils down to:  Kill X of this for Y  then go to Z and kill 3 Bs and collect 12 Cs from Ds.  that's MMOs,  that's what we've decided to play and just saying there should be more or should be less or should be whatever isn't going to change the fact that that's what an MMO is,  just like a platformer is going to have you jumping around or an action game is going to have you running somewhere killing something with a weapon.  there's only so much someone can do with the genre.  
     
    Back on topic.  I honestly like the feel think they did a surprisingly good job of capturing star trek as it was in the DS9 era (I.E. during a massive war) and am surprisingly pleased to say this is probably one of the better games to use the IP... at least they actually seemed to care about doing it to make a playable game.  as for bugs,  every game has bugs in it, and fixing one will just make a thousand others pop up,  that's the nature of computers,  they're made by people they have flaws.  it's playable and somewhat entertaining.  good to kill a few hours on a rainy day and quite frankly that's what a game was made to do.  they'll slowly add more and advance it and given time they could add many more features.  no need to condemn every game in it's beta... give it a little while at least and then,  just let the people that like it play, cause chances are the people that matter: I.E. the devs stopped reading MMORPG.com a long time ago from most companies because most of the comments are complaining about thing they might actually enjoy or have little to no focus.... And that people is what grinds my gears

     

    What I expect is for developers to spend there time developing a game meant to be enjoyed for longer than a month so that the monthly fee is at least warranted. This isn't a single player game, a guaranteed 40-50 hours of game play is not acceptable. 

     

    All you have to do is take a look at CO and it's subs to understand I'm far from alone in that opinion. 

     

    Sure you can say all MMO's are in the same boat, but at the end of the day when games that turn out to be extremely shallow are netting 10-30k subs max and most others are sporting 100k-500k minimum that kind of signifies that they aren't all in the same boat. 

     

    Again even UO is still sporting 100kish subs if all MMO's are in the same boat then how come these extremely shallow MMO's have so fewer subs? I'll answer for you.... because there not all in the same boat. 

  • JKnight1JKnight1 Hamilton, OHPosts: 72Member

    You do realize that any idea, every story you come up with, has already been done or told, right? How many times have the fairy tales been told? How many times have they changed? But how many times have they stayed the same? More than we can count. It's the nature of the beast. You can only do so much before one begins to run out of ideas, and has to rehash, reskin, and retell the story from either a different perspective, a different side, or in a different way.

    It's the same story, different skin. Movies, books, comics, music, games. All the same. You hear one patriotic American song, no matter the lyrics, you've heard them all. You've listened to one WW2 story, no matter who tells it, you've heard them all. One can only do so much before you come full circle again. If you cannot handle this, then I guess you should give up all hope for MMO's to ever provide unique and original content for as long as they last. It's impossible. Look at WoW. How many times has it rehashed content? Yet look at how popular it is. Amazing no? if the game is fun, people will nto care. And in my opinion, this game is a ton of fun.

    The first MMO to hold my attention for longer than a day in a looong time. City of Heroes was the last one I played, and that was about a year ago. I played it for 2 years. Sadly, money issues came up and had to stop. But that is besides the point. So far, this game has proven to be immirsive, engrossing, and just damned fun.

  • nikoliathnikoliath YPosts: 1,154Member
    Originally posted by inig0


     

    Originally posted by JKnight1

    No, they're testing the starting areas and it's surroundings, as any person with common sense would do. Have you played the higher content? From what i've heard, it gets better the further along you go. I don see how it lacks depth. I've saved a primitive race from poisoning, saved scientists from a burning asteroid base, fought my way through klingons to secure communications data, then defending my post. I've defeated warships, saved hostages, delivered supplies, defeated an invasion on a small town, i've had to scan for anomolies, scan suspicious things, deactivate shields to fight the captain of an enemy ship, i've had to scan strange plantlife with energy readings, while defending against a nausican ambush, scan wreckage on a barren planet, etc.



    If that's lacking depth, then you have way too high of standards.

     



    Regardless of the accompanying text, the actions you carry out are virtually the same. This does not change later, you simply fly in circles around slightly larger ships.

    Please share, if you would be so kind, with us your excellent, unique, original, exciting, enthralling, engrossing, detailed, emotional, action packed, open ended, universe shaping quests, missions, combat and interaction. If you do I am certain you will find employment with the large developer houses.

    Hmmm? What's that you say? You have no idea? Ohh sorry and there was I thinking this board was full of experts who can not only declare a software programme to be flawed in it's basic conception but that it also lacks any redeeming features to warrant it being published in the fist place.

    There are many posters on these forums that remind me of the story "The Princess & the Pea"

    ......It was a princess who stood outside, but she was in a terrible state from the rain and the storm. The water streamed out of her hair and her clothes; it ran in at the top of her shoes and out at the heel, but she said that she was a real princess.

    'Well we shall soon see if that is true,' thought the old Queen, but she said nothing. She went into the bedroom, took all the bed clothes off and laid a pea on the bedstead: then she took twenty mattresses and piled them on top of the pea, and then twenty feather beds on top of the mattresses. This was where the princess was to sleep that night. In the morning they asked her how she slept.

    'Oh terribly bad!' said the princess. 'I have hardly closed my eyes the whole night! Heaven knows what was in the bed. I seemed to be lying upon some hard thing, and my whole body is black and blue this morning. It is terrible!'

     

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by JKnight1


    You do realize that any idea, every story you come up with, has already been done or told, right? How many times have the fairy tales been told? How many times have they changed? But how many times have they stayed the same? More than we can count. It's the nature of the beast. You can only do so much before one begins to run out of ideas, and has to rehash, reskin, and retell the story from either a different perspective, a different side, or in a different way.
    It's the same story, different skin. Movies, books, comics, music, games. All the same. You hear one patriotic American song, no matter the lyrics, you've heard them all. You've listened to one WW2 story, no matter who tells it, you've heard them all. One can only do so much before you come full circle again. If you cannot handle this, then I guess you should give up all hope for MMO's to ever provide unique and original content for as long as they last. It's impossible. Look at WoW. How many times has it rehashed content? Yet look at how popular it is. Amazing no? if the game is fun, people will nto care. And in my opinion, this game is a ton of fun.
    The first MMO to hold my attention for longer than a day in a looong time. City of Heroes was the last one I played, and that was about a year ago. I played it for 2 years. Sadly, money issues came up and had to stop. But that is besides the point. So far, this game has proven to be immirsive, engrossing, and just damned fun.

     

    While what you say is true at least some of it is anyways theres this one little fact that you neglect to mention. While at some point everything is just a retelling of an old story some are good at retelling the tale in a new way. 

    I mean look at Little Red Riding Hood and Hoodwinked. The old Star Trek Movies and the new. The Merlin TV series. Many movies and TV series are based off of books or true stories and they are generally told in a new way. 

    Then you have Star Wars Galaxies and Star Wars the old Republic. EQ and EQ2. 

    So retelling's can be done well. 

     

    And your right, if the game is fun no one will care initially. But when that lack of depth hits home and you've come to feel like you've been doing the same thing over and over the entire time you've played people start to care. 

    Again a good example is CO. Great combat system and a lot of customization. The combat and the customization was a great deal of fun and many enjoyed those things. The problem came when you realized you were only doing 2 things over and over the entire game. You kill and click blinkies. The missions all felt the same, much like STO. The enemies felt the same, much like STO. Everything just felt like the thing before it, much like STO. 

     

    Without things to do that fun wears off fast. This may not be the case for you as you may enjoy doing the exact same thing endlessly. I just do not and thats all I found in STO. Little to no variation in extremely repetitive tasks that seemed to drone on and on. If I hadn't played CO I may have enjoyed it for a month or so, but having done pretty much all of the same missions in CO with a different skin everything just felt way to familiar. 

     

    When those that made CoX what it is left Cryptic and formed Paragon Studios I truly feel Cryptic lost it's best and brightest. What there pumping out now feels way to generic and lack luster. You get good customization, sometimes fun combat and then some very basic and generic things to do. CO and STO are no different other than in name and appearance. That isn't a retelling thats just a reskinning. 

     

    But at the end of the day, your allowed your opinion just don't get offended by the fact I strongly disagree with you lol. 

     

  • DojenDojen Atlantic City, NJPosts: 133Member Common
    Originally posted by JKnight1


    No. They are only locked for the open beta. As they want to test the early content, you know, the stuff EVERYONE is gonna see first? Fix that before launch, before one worries about the later stuff. Duh.
    You guys do realize that, out of all the sectors in the game, there are what, only 3 unlocked for OB? This is why it feels so small, not all of the content is open for us yet. It's finished, but they wanna focus on the beginning sectors first. Makes perfect sense to me.



     

    Duh. I love that word/utterance. It's so ironic here.

    It feels small because sector space is a shoebox, not because it's OB. Adding more shoeboxes doesn't make space feel bigger, it makes it feel more shoeboxy.

    /duh

     

  • olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon

    Please share, if you would be so kind, with us your excellent, unique, original, exciting, enthralling, engrossing, detailed, emotional, action packed, open ended, universe shaping quests, missions, combat and interaction. If you do I am certain you will find employment with the large developer houses.

    I like to see missions that change your path in the game, changes the role you play in the RPG. Simple example: you are sent to save some colonists from a disease, but you can also decide to let them die and sell the vaccine yourself on the black market. That makes certain factions in the game made at you, and will change how they react to you, and what kinds of quests they will give you. Do it again, and you may not be able to even dock at one of their stations.

    Another simple example: you are sent to free some colonists from some kidnapping aliens. You can choose to blow them up, or try to deal diplomatically with them. Your faction (see above example) will affect this too. If you go the diplomatic route, you gain faction with the aliens, and also skill up diplomacy attributes. Kill them instead and you lose faction with them and gain skill points in combat.

    These kinds of quests are simplistic, and long questlines can be built out of these decision tree type quests. Does STO have anything like this?

    ------------
    RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.