Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Get Your Open Beta Key Now!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

MMORPG.com has been give 5,000 open beta keys for Star Trek Online, so get yours now and get in the beta test! Offer only available while supplies last!

If you are ready to get into the beta test, click the link below!

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OPEN BETA KEY NOW!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• GeniusSageGeniusSage Member Posts: 199

I don't have high hopes...

Thanks for the key though.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by GeniusSage

I don't have high hopes...
    Thanks for the key though.

Just go in with the understanding that there is a lot of instancing, and the ground combat is going to need some attention. Space combat is done quite well, and the game definitely feels like Star Trek.

This is coming from an avid EVE/Darkfall player. Somehow instancing in a Star Trek mmo doesn't seem to bother me, and I'm a huge open world PVP game "promoter". The game is a lot of fun, period. It's certainly not going to replace my main games, but I can honestly see myself subbing for a couple months here and there, when I need a break from the intensity of my chosen games.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

Don't expect too much of it either. But I try pretty much any game. 

So, thanks for the key.

• hindustarhindustar Member Posts: 1

I got the key and activated it fine. it just seems that they are making downloading the beta client a bit more complicated than it needs to be. *sigh*

I don't think I will ever get it downloaded without having to pay for membership to a website I will only use once.   :/

• Dayhawk2kDayhawk2k Member Posts: 10

use the torrent on the STO download page.

• dsvitakdsvitak Member Posts: 1

I am downloading the client now...darned if I can remember which one I chose.

Anyway, I am pulling down data at 865 kbs...must be near a record for me. No fees to join, either.

• gerhard45gerhard45 Member Posts: 44

using the Gamershell downloader 800kb

• tw0sh0ttw0sh0t Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the key.  Been looking forward of trying this out and providing feedback.  I have a feeling I'll still buy this when it releases to pick away at it now and then.  Doubt I'll go full time, but who knows.

• Bai_KaiBai_Kai Member Posts: 23

Downloading at 1mb from FileShack as a non-paying member.

Not too bad for free

Aaah......
    the pain!!

• mjs0001mjs0001 Member Posts: 25

i don't like it already... they expect you to buy something called criptic points. i have a feeling if you want to advance your character or advance through the game they probably expect you to buy them. as if the subscription fee isn't enough.

• Bai_KaiBai_Kai Member Posts: 23

I believe all games will have this type of system now. A large number of MMO players want to customize their characters and buying the equipment or character mods are one way to offer this. It's all about bringing in the Benjamins. One of the great hings about a capatilist society, if you can figure out how to make money consistently without breaking any laws... it's all good.

Maybe they will offer things the way DDO is offering. "X" amount of experience earns money for the store.

Aaah......
    the pain!!

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

What you need to know before heading into STO beta:

A:  Servers are over capacity. In Beta. WAY over and 10,000 more keys just got emailed out,.

The Dev/CM Stormshade said publically:  

Hi everyone!

This is really amazing! We have hit the limit of how many players we can fit on the server right now!

This is one of those times where we're both sad, and glad. On the one side, you all enjoy the game so much, we can't squeeze anyone else on to the server. (I can't log in right now either! )

On the other side, we really want to let you all on the server! So, here's what we're working on:

1) We're increasing server capacity. We have new machines coming in to add to the server, and we've put a rush order on them. We're going to bring them online as soon as we can.

2) We're working on software solutions as well. Our development team is working night and day to be able to get as much power as we can from each machine, and we're focusing on increasing capacity, and server stability.

For now, all we can say is, please keep trying. We know it's frustrating. Please keep trying though. You never know when you might be able to get in!

Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, and thank you for your interest in Star Trek Online!

Stormshade

2: Ground Combat is very ubfinished, clunky, and overall feels like an "Afterthought"

3. If you ever played Starfleet Command 1,2,3  and enjoyed it, you will LOVE the space combat portions. Its nearly identical.

4. Microtransactions are in. Rumored GEAR WITH STATS MT's.

5. Login Server is shared with Champions Login Server.

6. The game is built on the exact same engine Champions is on. Down to the shard select screen and mail.

7. You do not get out of your federation rowboat until level 11. For most people that is anywhere from 8 hours (closed testers ) to upwards of 3 days (new players). It's long, and VERY repetitive.

8. Away team AI is utterly useless. All the mobs and players move like Champions Online / City Of Heroes.  Really. Its identical. Pathing is among the worst I have ever seen in 20 years of gaming.

9. This game has been in development less than 2 years. Average Cycle of development for a major IP MMO is 5+ years, and that is with the bugs and bad launches. This is less than half that time.

10. Better have a fantastic spacebar. You will hit it 500 to 1 times more than any other key.

The game has its shining points. Space combat is fun and enjoyable. It is Star Trek Looking.  There are tribbles.

These are just my opinions, but i seriously doubt you will find anyone who can dispute them.  Take a look and let the "Flying my own starship!!!!11!!!1!" wear off and you will see the game lacks any type of depth at all.

OH! Almost forgot.

The pvp is in and so are Klingons. They just have no story yet. Seriously. 1 Whole faction is a cardbaord cutout. There is no Klingon Content to speak of yet.  Imagin WoW Releasing cataclysm, and the horde side having about 100 quests TOTAL, compared with the alliances 250,000.  But don't take my word for it. Head over and see for yourself.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by harvest151

What you need to know before heading into STO beta:
    A:  Servers are over capacity. In Beta. WAY over and 10,000 more keys just got emailed out,.
    The Dev/CM Stormshade said publically:  
    Hi everyone!
    This is really amazing! We have hit the limit of how many players we can fit on the server right now!
    This is one of those times where we're both sad, and glad. On the one side, you all enjoy the game so much, we can't squeeze anyone else on to the server. (I can't log in right now either! )
    On the other side, we really want to let you all on the server! So, here's what we're working on:
    1) We're increasing server capacity. We have new machines coming in to add to the server, and we've put a rush order on them. We're going to bring them online as soon as we can.
    2) We're working on software solutions as well. Our development team is working night and day to be able to get as much power as we can from each machine, and we're focusing on increasing capacity, and server stability.
    For now, all we can say is, please keep trying. We know it's frustrating. Please keep trying though. You never know when you might be able to get in!
    Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, and thank you for your interest in Star Trek Online!
    Stormshade

2: Ground Combat is very ubfinished, clunky, and overall feels like an "Afterthought"
    3. If you ever played Starfleet Command 1,2,3  and enjoyed it, you will LOVE the space combat portions. Its nearly identical.
    4. Microtransactions are in. Rumored GEAR WITH STATS MT's.
    5. Login Server is shared with Champions Login Server.
    6. The game is built on the exact same engine Champions is on. Down to the shard select screen and mail.
    7. You do not get out of your federation rowboat until level 11. For most people that is anywhere from 8 hours (closed testers ) to upwards of 3 days (new players). It's long, and VERY repetitive.
    8. Away team AI is utterly useless. All the mobs and players move like Champions Online / City Of Heroes.  Really. Its identical. Pathing is among the worst I have ever seen in 20 years of gaming.
    9. This game has been in development less than 2 years. Average Cycle of development for a major IP MMO is 5+ years, and that is with the bugs and bad launches. This is less than half that time.
    10. Better have a fantastic spacebar. You will hit it 500 to 1 times more than any other key.

The game has its shining points. Space combat is fun and enjoyable. It is Star Trek Looking.  There are tribbles.
    These are just my opinions, but i seriously doubt you will find anyone who can dispute them.  Take a look and let the "Flying my own starship!!!!11!!!1!" wear off and you will see the game lacks any type of depth at all.

OH! Almost forgot.
    The pvp is in and so are Klingons. They just have no story yet. Seriously. 1 Whole faction is a cardbaord cutout. There is no Klingon Content to speak of yet.  Imagin WoW Releasing cataclysm, and the horde side having about 100 quests TOTAL, compared with the alliances 250,000.  But don't take my word for it. Head over and see for yourself.

thanks very much for this post. I was disappointed I missed a chance a t a key here, but after reading this, I'm feeling better. it doesn't seem like I'll be missing anything at release and I'll temper my enthuasim with patience now. I'll let them finish fleshing out the game. Hopefully the missing blocks of content can be plugged in modularly. I'm not at *all* excitred about the potential for very repetitive game play, especially after having experienced the grind of Aion 3 or 4 times while leveling.

Thanks again!

• VontroxVontrox Member Posts: 12

If you have a key.....don't bother. Game is fun....if you can get in....that is...

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150

My impressions after the first 6 hours or so...after that server overload has prevented me from getting back online.

1.  The very basic stuff is there.    Space combat, ground combat, npc interaction, quest setup, etc.    However, that's about what I would expect in an alpha version.     I think the comments that have been made as to not enough time being taken for development, I would say yes.

2.  Space combat is fun...but it is hard.     There are no easy reference points for how far you are from stuff, its 3D (not like PoBS).

And it takes a lot of time to figure out what you should be doing and how to do it.   Maybe I am just old but I found the controls hard to get used to...I kept wanting to lean on W, like in other games..which pitches you forward..not good piloting captain.

3.   Ground combat..yeah, the pathing is pretty bad.   AI, not so good.     Those two things can be fixed but you would like to see em fixed before release.

4.  Lack of depth..well adding content can also be done later but see no. 3.

5.  The atmosphere, etc. is about right.   

6.  I am old school, I guess.   I figure how good an MMO can be depends on how the community develops, which depends on grouping, cooperation, helping etc.    First people need a reason to do it --- and next there should be a place they meet where they would normally be going so they run into people a lot.    Which is why I think instancing should be done carefully.  Instances for individual players, really, not so good.    I like DDO, but that particular thing is a mistake.

Anyway you would think the starbases would be meeting places, but they dont seem to function that way..yet.  And if I am out on a solo mission, which is a lot, it isn't going to happen (see above.)     I was in a fleet action (sort of like Wintergrasp, lol)  and in the middle I was supposed to beam down and fight on a ship for quite a while....by myself.   How does that build community?

They have a team building system, so I used it, got  into some teams, people actually tried to attack the same enemy ship and stuff, sometimes, but when I tried party chat, no response.   Hmm, maybe their communicators weren't working.    Just a few hours but doesnt speak well for the community.

7.   Really, I think there are some absolute musts here other than that mentioned.

a.    option to control each BO separately ground or space OR let them AI it and have the AI not be stupid.

b.    in space you should be able to spin your mouse wheel to the limit and instead of looking at the butt end of your ship,

be looking out your bridge window.    Come on people.

c.    ground combat....make it more fps like.    make aiming count.   it is nice to have to maneuver for a shot or a gun butt hit, but it shouldnt be target and forget it.

Ok, that's all for now.    I REALLY hope they can get this right somehow.

It's funny, complaining about the game but mostly why is the server so overloaded I can't get on....LOL!

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

5,000 more invites to Open Beta. Greaaaaat.

Well if you are a Cryptic or Star Trek hater stay away. The server is already to max capacity and people that enjoy playing it can't get in.

So if your interest in STO is moderate to low, do yourself and those that want to login a favor....stay away.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• WolfzjavaWolfzjava Member UncommonPosts: 14

I played 4 hours and after playing and reading the forum i immediately took my name out of the reserve list for the game at my local shop... This will be a very poor P2P I've seem better F2P in this stage... either they'll need a good 6 mths to work it out or it'll be just another flunk game...

Very disappointed in this game...

• KusigaKusiga Member UncommonPosts: 48

I tried it out yesterday and seemed a little fun but felt similiar to SGO and TR for the ground combat imo but ran worse on my pc then either those. Space ran good but one ship took forever to find while the others were pretty easy to see. May try it some again once the new servers come.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Kinda worrying to see the critiques so far when the game is supposed to launch in a month... We'll have to see if they have massive updates waiting to be plugged in prior to release, but still, I would think that they should have done that already.

Hopefully they're just stress testing their backend now and they'll start adding junk prior to the 26th end of "open" beta in preparation for the early start.

I know that Fallen Earth was missing huge chunks of code and major game functionality during the open beta, and they plugged in a bunch of stuff throughout the phase. When it released it was still missing stuff, but it was 75% better than it was when the OB started :)

I'm going to reserve judgement about the micro's in this game, but personally, I can't stand them. They completely rip the game world apart by having 'stores' where you buy stats, or henchmen. But that's a complaint for a whole other post hehe.

• KamodoKamodo Member UncommonPosts: 3

Wow, I didn't get a key. I'm confused as to why MMorpg.com didn't just give the 5000 beta key to 5000 runer-ups of the 150 Beta Key Contest?

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Kamodo

Wow, I didn't get a key. I'm confused as to why MMorpg.com didn't just give the 5000 beta key to 5000 runer-ups of the 150 Beta Key Contest?

If you need a key I'll give you one. but don't hold your breath, servers are full and it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours to get in. Seriously. Just pm me if you do want it.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Wish I could get it to run for more then a short period, something to do with ATI vid card crashes my comp on any recent game... ATIKMDAG? Tried lots of things haven't been able to fix the issue...

• ArkamdiusArkamdius Member Posts: 1

Hey everyone seems like there are no more STO beta keys anywhare. If anyone has an extra one or is willing to give it up since they dont like it then please shoot it my way. I've always been a big fan of star trek and want to try this beta before purchasing the game. check my profile for contact info THANKS A BUNCH

MINE