Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Fallen Earth Review

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I think the review was more then fair.  There was a lot of in depth information which makes me feel he at least played the game whereas the first review seemed too general to be believable.  A very decent review.

• TilranTilran Member Posts: 42

I too gave this game a shot during the free trial period.

My initial knee-jerk reaction was...wow...this game is great...it is unique and is doing things that havent been done lately.

As the glamour and new car smell started to fade...I was able to get a better read on the game.  While it was fun, I have to admit I am not much of a crafter.  Crafting is a neccessary skill in Fallen Earth and if you as a gamer hates crafting or even dislike crafting...I would not recommend this game for you.  I would however recommend you try the trial and find out for yourself.

As I said before, during the first 15ish hours of playtime I had a blast learning what does what and discovering skills and such...but after a while...it becomes a crafting grind to increase your skill so you can get to the next thing to grind so you can increase your skill.  I think that is typically what "Crafters" LOVE about games and this game would be for them...unfortunatly those carrots dont work for players who enjoy more of the PvE/PvP aspects of the game.

The quests were fine, but repetitive.

I give credit to them for making a great game however....just not great for me.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by cosy

"open sandbox world"  lolwut ? u can have open world or a sandbox world

FE cant be a sandbox is a theme park

Well your lack of spelling and sentence composition shows. It isn't a theme park. There is no major enemy to defeat. After the tutorial your free to do whatever you like.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Player_420

I enjoyed the part where the reviewer admitted he couldnt "get into the town based pvp conflict"...which starts at sector 2 which is level 16-18+.....so your admitting you really didnt get very far in the game?
    another joke review in my opinion from a guy who couldnt even experiance endgame content which I find very enjoyable 3 months in.

You should be thankful the game just got a good review and a decent score. Most places don't give up anything above a 6.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

another joke review in my opinion from a guy who couldnt even experiance endgame content which I find very enjoyable 3 months in.

endgame content consists of  zone 3 which is  has much less content that zone 2 or zone 1  and  consists almost completely of PVP    engame might as well be a brick wall.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

LOL at the couple of fanboys who got so offended.

Didn't someone wonder why the reviewer didn't mention the quests? They must not have read the "pro's" because one of them specifically praised the great PvE quest text. Hopefully FE continues to get better. Thanks for the review.

• AthabaAthaba Member Posts: 48

I really wanted to try the game, as soon as my current games get boring. I have been following Fallen Earth pretty much since it was announced. There are some tiny reasons why I have not tried the game yet. For example everyone says it is not polished yet and so I'll stick to my current games for now. As I said I've been following the development of  FE pretty closely and I am a bit sad, because I thought it would become F2P. No, not because of dated graphics or something like that, but I think such sandbox games have a big profit from high player numbers. I mean that is why EVE has only a single server. On the other hand I understand it is harder for small and more independend companies to start out with such a concept. P2P games also tend to have a more mature community, which is a reason I would try the game. However in the last time I see a shift. Older players switch to F2P and younger ones play games with monthly fees. I also like the Entropia Universe concept because it was a very adult-friendly saytem. However there are also more young players there.

Okay now what I intended to say in first place.

Since I generally do not agree with MMORPG.coms reviews I'm afraid this game won't be something for me.

And I have some questions:

Is the community mature?

Does real role play exist?

Are there many players online?

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I really enjoyed my time with FE. I unsubbed due entirely to real life time constraints and barely found myself playing. If I had more time, I'd definately resub. The crafting got me engaged, the first system to ever do that for me. It was also the only game to date that game me the Roland, Man With No Name, Gunslinger-esque feeling whenever I played.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

I enjoyed the part where the reviewer admitted he couldnt "get into the town based pvp conflict"...which starts at sector 2 which is level 16-18+.....so your admitting you really didnt get very far in the game?

You should be thankful the game just got a good review and a decent score. Most places don't give up anything above a 6.

Well, you are only partly correct

www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallenearth

Toss out the reviews by the "bozo" sites and the game fairs pretty well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

Good review, fair, balanced, and in line with my thoughts mostly. Though I disagree on the dated graphics bit, it looks pretty damn good compared to other more mainstream MMO's.

Also, to the poster who complained about the colors of the apocalypse. There is a rather artistic and atmospheric reasoning for using muted tones in an apocalyptic setting. It gives a sense of foreboding and bleakness to it. If you were wandering a wasteland filled with bright green plants and rainbow colored flowers and such, the world seems happy, hopeful. This goes counter to the entire idea of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, which is the idea of loneliness, hopelessness, and despair.

With muted grays, browns, and greens, it makes the world seem much more bleak and amplifies the idea of surviving alone in a vast, and tattered landscape. It contributes to the emotional and psychological effect the world should have on you, as you wander, explore, and "live" in it.

The post-apocalyptic setting is by far my most favorite genre of Sci-fi. It best shows mankind's strengths, weaknesses, emotional response, and social reactions to a world that has drastically changed for the worse. The emotional and psychological impact of loneliness and fear, the display of our greatest strength "Adaptability" to our environment and surroundings, the social impact it has on society, it's breakdown into a lawless, fractured shell of it's former self, and the harrowing, and challenging idea of surviving in a world that no longer resembles what we once knew.

Bright colors would ruin this, causing it to become something else entirely. Thus the reason for the muted colors.

Edit: To add to my opinion on the colors and atmosphere of the post-apoc genre, this is not to say that all hope is lost. On the contrary, this setting also shows the best of what man can offer. People banding together to provide shelter, resources, and protection from those who prey on the weak.

People working together in an attempt to provide services, technology, and resources to others in an attempt to rebuild society. Those with the skills and education applying their knowledge to the new world in the hope of bettering the lives of those left.

Among many, many other examples. The post-apocalyptic genre, to me, shows the best and worst mankind has to offer that other genre's do not.

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

NEW RULE NUMBER 1:

Do not review a game until you have reached maximum level and experienced at least 60% of the atainable content.

--------------------------------------------------

Thats bad journalism like that that get normal players like us to buy a over rated game such as age of conan.

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• MonTe_FysterMonTe_Fyster Member Posts: 15

Myself, I ahve been following fallen Earth since it's early conception and its first beta stages, so when I took the 10 day trial I had a little better grasp on what to expect from it, unlike a stone cold fallen earth Noob.  Right from the start, I find it not only beneficial to your quests and such, to fully read and understand te conversations you have  with the NPCs, but it also  gives you a real feel for the much dreaded situation the world is in.  The story line is very well written in that the conversations coming from the various NPCs help you to understand on what side of the fence they each stand on and their need for "hush..hush"

yes I do agree that the graphics might be a tad out dated, but it seems to be quite fitting for the period the game is set in, after just a few minutes in the open terrain you soon forget how out dated they might be.  There is so much that I enjoy about the game, yet because of being cottled by previous MMORPG games in giving me a boat load of pointers,tags,flags, etc so I can't help; but  find where I am going, This game affords you the opportunity to freely explore while trying to find your way point , town or next NPC.   The game offers a world of information at your fingertips within easy reach, while still allowing you to hide it so you can enjoy a  relatively OPEN view screen.

I haven't even progressed as far as I had hoped, which is another awesome point about this game.  As the review says, you are NOT forced to GRIND your butt off to get to a high level.  you can explore the world, your character, crafting abilities and such.  This game seems to be a very layed back game as to what you have the opportunity to do,  As for the Combat system, once again, as soon as you get comfy with it, it seems to become 2nd nature.

I have been totally satisfied with my limited exposure to the game thus far,. I highly recommend it to the veteran MMORPG fan who is looking for something NEW & something different from the looong line of "cookie Cutter" games.   It should satisfy you as well, as those just wanting to try and get exposed MMORPG games for the 1st time. 

MonTe

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

I am glad to see FE  having at least some success post-launch. I took part in the early testing of FE but  could never get into it despite wanting too. There was just something about the overall "feel" of the game I didn't like.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Spot on review IMO.

Fair and honest.

Well done MMORPG.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

My experience was that FE starts out strong - the crafting is interesting and varied, scavenging is kinda fun,  it's a different kind of world - but that it wears off. Long travel times aren't fun, combat animations are weak (especially melee when you are trying to work out if you hit the target or not) and being able to easily gimp your character shouldn't be a design feature.

FE is for a certain kind of player and I'm not it. Of the players I've known who have started playing post-launch, very few hung on past their first month after the whole, 'I've got to craft HOW much more stuff?' or 'I'm doing this next bit why?' set in (or even 'I've gimped my character, haven't I?').

As for the review: it really seems that MMORPG.com went for the safe option and said, "the game is okay but it's got potential! Look at the potential!". I'm all for indie MMOs succeeding but I think FE is going to find it hard to keep growing its player base.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

i won't play this game cause of it's ugly graphics 

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by GetViolated

i won't play this game cause of it's ugly graphics 

Usually i would make some kind of witty response to this because i always believe gameplay takes precedence over graphics any day. This time I agree.

I really want to play a post apocalyptic MMO, but if I'm to do that I need great visuals. I just can't immerse myself in a post apocalyptic future unless I feel I'm actually in one. Fallout 3 did a great job on the graphics that I were enabled to feel part of the world. After watching gameplay videos of Fallen Earth and screen shots I just can't see myself getting that feeling with this game.

The gameplay may be stellar but as a post apocalyptic MMO I need visuals to go with it. The "Feel" you get being involved from an imaginary online world has to match up graphics wise otherwise it's just another game

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Fairly good review but there is one factual mistake.

Your combat skills do not in any way determine hit or miss, that is entirely based on your manual aiming. What the skills do is they modify how much base damage you do.

The game looks at the difference between the attack skill and the defense skill once an attack hits and that difference cause an increase or decrease in the base damage. First ten point give a +/- 1% per point, the next 20 give +/-1 per 2 points and so on until the cap of +/- 40%.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

Such a shame this is not a game yet launched in Europe or I would have jumped on board. As for the graphics it is an apocalyptic world, do you really need to see rust and hand crafted hand me downs in that much detail?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

A review without engaging in PvP which, supposedly, is one of the biggest features? Why didnt the reviewer spend some more time and actually do some PvP before writing a review?

• DeienDeien Member Posts: 121

People who wont try and game cause it looks bad are just dumb and retarded. I will try any game out there no matter how bad it looks it matters how well it play's.

• KexoKexo Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Deien

People who wont try and game cause it looks bad are just dumb and retarded. I will try any game out there no matter how bad it looks it matters how well it play's.

I heard Free Realms and Toon Town plays very well. You might want to give them a try.

Seriously though, to completely dismiss graphics as a factor is equally moronic. Because if it weren't for graphics then there's no reason to play any other game than UO.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by Scot

Such a shame this is not a game yet launched in Europe or I would have jumped on board. As for the graphics it is an apocalyptic world, do you really need to see rust and hand crafted hand me downs in that much detail?

I need to see more than there currently is so yes. For immersion purposes.

I have played a ton of games in my lifetime and i can honestly say that only 4 or 5 of them have i been able to fully immerse myself in just like when you read a book. I have never been able to fully Immerse myself in a MMO for several reasons.

Having said that after playing Fallout 3 and thinking of the endless possibilities of a post apocalyptic game i realize that 1. I want to play one badly 2. I want to feel like I'm in a post apocalyptic world. I can't feel that way if the graphics suck. I can have fun and run around shooting things up all day long but what it comes down to it is I want to see and feel I'm a part of a destroyed world. Graphics plays a major part in that. A post apocalyptic MMO is a mmo i would WANT to immerse myself in and not just play like any other game IE focus on leveling up and getting phat loot. If that was the case I might as well keep on playing Diablo 2 which from the looks of it I will have to.

• karantanijakarantanija Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by describable
    it's weird why dated visuals are always a bad point, if it had up to date visuals then the 1 server thing would not be a viable option due to the increased lag on all ends. it'd be less of an MMO and more of a shard/server fest.
    I mean if WoW didn't have cross realm Bgs and Dungeons, it wouldn't even be high on my list.. the visuals are hardly stunning but to fit so many on a server is pretty good and it is the most successful MMO.
    Unlike some others with high visuals, what did happen to Vanguard, and i hear AoC is widely popular now.. *cough* then there's tabula rasa... oh wait.... no there isn;t ;)
    an MMO MUST have dated visuals as gameplay must come first, it's an MMO (object to get as many people to SUBSCRIBE to it) not a single player game (object to get as many people to buy and play it, complete it in 5 hours and trade in) :-p
    not that i think fallen earths visuals are that bad, but reviewers and fanboys (not gamers) from other games have to bitch about something.

LAG has in most cases nothing to do with high graphics. See lag can either be server side or your side. your side means your PC cant handle it, but that is normally not the case. The problem is, that once you mention one server games they need to put all of their people on one server (well thers more servers, but lets not get into details), and normally servers cant handle it which cases lag. it has nothing to do with high visuals, its server side.

funny thing if it is your side, high visuals can actually help. eve had a really old graphics engine based on CPU which was not really able to use your graphics card the way it should. so even if people went and bought high end graphics cards it didn't help, because the engine was unable to use the resources, cause it was so heavy CPU based. CCP then released a new engine which had higher quality graphics, and was also able to use the fancy graphics cards that we have nowdays, and the game ran better and faster, with higher quality graphics.

WoW should do the same, they certainly have the resources for it. see wows graphics engine suffers from the same problem. its not effective. it cant make good use of the resources in your computer, most importantly your graphics card. so when you get to dalaran and it lags on high graphic settings, you go and buy a better graphics card, but it wont help. the game wont be able to use it properly. so they need to make a new graphics engine, which will be able to take good use of your machine, and will then actually run better on higher graphics settings.