Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for best graphics MMO with pvp, and where skill matters, not just grind.

Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

My MMO History:

EvE Online, WoW, Voyage Century, Silkroad Online, Maplestory (from now on referred to as maple sh** hole)

And still playin and sort of in a love-hate relationship with Dragonica.

What I really want is a graphically intense fantasy version of eve online, meaning a real economy, player held space (or at least able to take over space for your faction, unlike WoW), open pvp, big guilds and a community not consisting entirely of tro0s and fanbois. Pay to play is good, I look down on f2p...

PvP - Territorial, guild vs guild, open player killing, faction, sieges

Solo or group oriented - Hopefully more group but should still be able to play solo

Graphic style - Cartoon, anime, or realistic, I don't care so long as its stunning

View - 3D

Leveling preference - Quest, PvP, hopefully more on skill and not just grind.

Free to play (F2P) or pay to play (P2P) - P2P please.

Anyone know of something? Thanks.

Comments

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Face of Mankind...except the PvE aspect is currently small.

You could also look into Global Agenda. The P2P aspect seems to have everything you want. ;)

Check the chart for Global Agenda out here.

I might also look into Mortal Online.

• Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

Hmm thanks but I'm kinda after fantassy where PvP changes the world, kinda like WoW but where the lands actually change hands.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Silver_Leaf

Hmm thanks but I'm kinda after fantassy where PvP changes the world, kinda like WoW but where the lands actually change hands.

The only game I can think of that comes close is Darkfall, but from what I read half say it takes skill half say it's button mashing. But if you want guilds building/razing cities and controlling territory this is probably your best bet until Mortal comes out, if that turns out to be good.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Hmm what about age of  conan? Heard it has good PvP and is the best game in terms of graphics?

Anyone know anything about it?

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Hmm what about age of  conan? Heard it has good PvP and is the best game in terms of graphics?
    Anyone know anything about it?

I love the game. Give it a try.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

I just recently re-subbed, and I completely dig the game (Go Cimmeria server ;)). Currently though, no "land" changes place... however the game is made by funcom, the pioneer of land wars ;) some people would say DoAC... however owning "land" was originated by Anarchy Online ..... So I would say to give the game a trial... and decide what you think... the graphics ingame are matched by none... the pvp takes serious skill and is matched by none. Be careful what these LotRO and DF fanbois tell you.. they are just that .. fanbois :P most of them are elite members simply because they troll the forums looking for their oppurtunies to promote their "distasteful" tastes and try to mislead true MMO gamers. :)

LOL interesting.

Anyway, I want to give the trial a go, but its downloading REAL slow... is there a direct download?

Also how many players can be in a siege battle at any one time?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

LOL interesting.
    Anyway, I want to give the trial a go, but its downloading REAL slow... is there a direct download?
    Also how many players can be in a siege battle at any one time?

download.mmosite.com/pages.php

Mirrors, don't know how fast they are.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• lordzelmanlordzelman Member Posts: 124

i didnt read it all.. but u love graphics and pvp..... but no grind.  Aion is very grind heavy but awesome pvp.. <3

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

I was about to come in here and say "good fucking luck," but actually AoC does sound like what you're looking for.

lol tro0 but anyway yeah I think it sounds like what I want, FPS combat, large scale (HOW LARGE?) pvp, guild owned cities.

Only wish they had all that, but faction vs faction pvp as well.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Although I wouldn't say mmo pvp and skill should go in the same sentence... Since you're bored of WoW i'm sure, which has the only pvp system that takes some decent skill. I'm referring to arenas, which is hands down the most competitive pvp feature in any mmo to date. Although I wouldn't exactly say the skill lies by mashing buttons, it does take a lot of coordination between arena partners. 

Other than that most, mmo's pvp are usually based off open pvp zerging to win, more playtime = better gear, which you've already said you didn't want to do via "not just grind" (lol aion). 

Anyways when you find a game like that other than WoW please let me know because i'll join you. I played AoC and really hated the melee combo combat for pvp, the balance between melee and casters were terrible. But if that sort of combo system is something you like than i'd give AoC a try, it definitely has the best graphics of any mmo right now. 

I actually kinda gave up wow. Don't like just spamming the same button for half the day to take down a raid boss.

I'll say again, just in case, Mortal might be what you;re looking for. Great graphics, real skill, a bit of a learning curve, etc.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

I actually kinda gave up wow. Don't like just spamming the same button for half the day to take down a raid boss.

If you enjoy playing the piano, you will love AoC, you don't  mash just one button all the time, you get to mash 2-6 buttons every attack (more if you use the clunky block ability).

Have fun.

Actually I intend to go ranger and shoot stuff in FPS mode. Now THATS fun.

Actually I intend to go ranger and shoot stuff in FPS mode. Now THATS fun.

In that case, you could always just play Spellborn for free...

Sorry, don't like f2p

Sorry, don't like f2p

Spellborn was a fully featured P2P MMORPG. Now it's a fully featured, fully F2P MMORPG. You're getting a freaking chance of a lifetime to play a P2P game for free with no hitches and you're going to pass it up?

Right I will take a look at it, looks dated but could be interesting. Thanks!!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op aion fits what you want perfectly .but the graphic part is misleading yes on the slider to make it shiny is there

but if you pass the mid mark on most computer it will be a lag fest .and the pvp is kind of instance its not open world like other game .

if ms do a mmo version of halo we ll get full open world 1000  player battle thats a no brainer till then .open wo¸rld game are fairly rare

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

No such game exists. It sounds like a graphically updated version of DAOC is called for.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

The closest I can think of is eve online but thats sci-fi and isn't twitch based... I thought they had an MMO for everything. Turns out thats not the case...

• Savage77Savage77 Member Posts: 3

I am waiting for Black Prophecy personally.  I really like the art team so far, they are really impressive.

-Savage-

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

Mortal Online sounds the closest, but it's still in development.  The graphics are top-notch, the combat is entirely skill based, fps control style, the economy is run by the players as crafters (this just started happening with the latest patch) and it's not an endless grind because there are no levels, only skills to build, which will max out fairly quickly the devs have said.  They max out too fast right now, but I suspect that's only because it's beta and they want people to have characters worth playing despite frequent wipes.  Its worth looking into.  You can gain access to the beta if you preorder, or you can wait for release in a few months.  Check out some videos though.  Zaxtor99 has some videos up in a thread he started in the official MO forums on this site.  The thread can be found here.