Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing sandbox MMO!

I just found out about this game minutes ago and im blown away. I didn't see it in the list of MMORPG.com and this is a shame. I dunno how many people know about this, but i'm going to post it anyway!

About the game:

It's called Love and its a sandbox MMO created by 1 person (yes for real).

#Edit: Originally posted by johnmatthais (hope you don't mind)

You are misinformed now, dear OP. Now it's up to 500 players per server. ^^

It costs 3 Euros per month to play and is completely player operated for the most part.

The gameplay so far consists of players entering the world, joining a settlement (or placing one if one isn't created yet), gathering tokens, building a base and working with other players to take down the AI and defend their settlement.

LOVE is not about winning. It's about the neverending cycle of winning and losing. It truly is something you take with a grain of salt because it is a hell of a lot different than anything you'll ever see.

So what makes LOVE different?

- easy to learn, hard to master FPS style gameplay

- parkour style freerunning

- PROCEDURALLY GENERATED WORLD!

- completely terramorphable world

- auto-assigned names for plenty of immersion

- the most awesome art style ever. you have NEVER seen low-poly graphics look so good

- never-ending persistent world

official site:

www.quelsolaar.com/love/join.html

Check out these videos before judging:

Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch

Explaniation of gameplay: www.youtube.com/watch

gameplay footage: www.youtube.com/watch

I didnt have much hope for sandbox MMOs untill now, but if 1 person can create this, the possibilities are endless.

Comments

• McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

I have been trying to remember what this was called, i saw a video about it on X-play (i think it was x-play) about 2 years ago and only just remembered it a few days ago but couldn't remember the name or codename it had back then.

Looks even more amazing now.

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

There has been a couple articles about Love on Massively.com that I've been following. It is intriguing to say the least. I'm waiting to see how it pans out.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by impiro

I just found out about this game minutes ago and im blown away. I didn't see it in the list of MMORPG.com and this is a shame. I dunno how many people know about this, but i'm going to post it anyway!

About the game:
    It's called Love and its a sandbox MMO created by 1 person (yes for real). The general goal, I think, is to build stuff and do whatever the hell you want! The servers are only filled with 200 players so the scale is a lot smaller than most other mmo's.

Check out these videos before judging:
    Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch

Explaniation of gameplay: www.youtube.com/watch

gameplay footage: www.youtube.com/watch

I didnt have much hope for sandbox MMOs untill now, if 1 person can create this, the possibilities are endless.

yea im signing up for it tommorrow since its like 5 bucks a month to play/test

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

That's pretty close to a true sandbox.

Perfect Life is the only game I can think of that's more sandboxy.

I would play it. 

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Pure Epic stuff!

I watched everything on Youtube, and this seems to be the most fantastic game i have ever seen. You know what? I get another one of those moments......it is almost embarresing......why cant major companys do anything like this? Why do they always have to give us the simpliest and cheapest crap they can find? It is 2010 now.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280

This game looks like a psychedelic dream

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

Buying today. Even if it's crap this guy deserves support.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Whats so great about it?

• SnobSnob Member Posts: 37

Nah, ill stick with DawnTide  for my next sandbox mmo.

www.dawntide.net/

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I didnt have much hope for sandbox MMOs untill now, if 1 person can create this, the possibilities are endless.

This game was featured in the News forum just recently.

If this game does what it claims to do in the gameplay footage (what i mean is if it can survive real players in a live game) then yes... it will kick this industry up the arse (which is badly needed IMHO)

And this guy will retire a multi millionaire - well deserved too.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Whats so great about it?

Other than that it is the only  true sandbox out there and its produced by a single person that did a better job on creating  original and interesting gameplay (running on a true dynamic engine that produces a world that is dynamic and changing constantly)  than developers with botomless budgets did? Nothing much....

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Props to this guy, the game looks very interesting and I think the title says it all and what even one person can create with enough energy ill be checking it out.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Its very impressive that only one person did the whole game... 

But seriously it really shows rofl, i'm not one for graphics over gameplay but seriously it looks like something I would play on super nintendo. 200 people per server is tiny especially for a sandbox mmo. 

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by uquipu

That's pretty close to a true sandbox.
    Perfect Life is the only game I can think of that's more sandboxy.
    I would play it. 

Apparently you haven't played many sandbox style MMO's.  Wurm Online is about 20x more of a sandbox then Love is and Wurm Online was originally created by just two people. About a year or so ago one of the two founders left and Rolf started up a small team of volunteers to help work on the client side of the game.

Love is a interesting game but its art style and barrier of entry are going to be two of its big downfalls.

• McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Snob

Nah, ill stick with DawnTide  for my next sandbox mmo.
    www.dawntide.net/

An MMO where you wash clothes?

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

damn man, how can big devs even come out with all those crappy games with years of planing, millions of dollars and ONE guy make such awsome gameplay. SHAME on big companies.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

I can't believe people really think this game doesnt look amazing. It's about stye not graphics. This is basicly why WoW still looks very appealing even though the graphics are outdated. The art-like style of this game is lovely imho.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Anyone else wanna get this MMO?

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Looks more like a FPS.

It's defined as:

# Genre: First person not so massively multi player online procedural adventure game.

What makes it' sandbox for you?

• Pkmn_knightPkmn_knight Member Posts: 60

For people who like LOVE , Heard of Minecraft? you might like that online game as well (not mmo just o)

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Originally posted by tro44_1

Whats so great about it?

Other than that it is the only  true sandbox out there and its produced by a single person that did a better job on creating  original and interesting gameplay (running on a true dynamic engine that produces a world that is dynamic and changing constantly)  than developers with botomless budgets did? Nothing much....

You pwned that guy

Good thread I couldn't remember the name of this one. It's back on my radar

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I'm really not much into city building but i can applaud the guys effort though I don't think i would play.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

I'd heard of this back when it was still alpha.  Very impressive in terms of player created content.

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• YhemicYhemic Member Posts: 17

For one guy to do all this, bravo.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

To the OP,we already had this guys whole presentation posted here and i watched it.

I commend him on his efforts,but the game is very cheap,i really do not believe he fathoms many people playing it.

I guess he is just a talented person that is financially sound.I figure if anything he created some nice tools and proves he has some talent.This will open doors to big developers i am sure.

I really think he wasted his efforts ,other than building himself a great portfolio.There is too many BETTER game engines out there,i cannot see anyone licensing his engine,i really do not see much use for it at all.However in that presentation he did elaborate on many new tools he created to make editing much nicer,so maybe he can license those for himself.

Basically i guess in a round about way,i am saying ,that i do not understand the purpose of his game or his game engine,other than to prove he could do it.It is low tech ,low poly and will not sell.It serves no purpose to the gaming community outside of maybe his editing tools and not much more.I could see some bored office gamer ,maybe downloading it and goofing around with the tools,but for gaming purposes,it has no merit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

This discussion has been closed.