Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: New Exploration Trailer!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Go boldly where no one has gone before in this latest Star Trek Online trailer featuring the game's exploration elements!

Watch the new trailer here!

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Not what I was looking for as an avid explorer type of mmorpg player. For all I know, these shots are taken from the Missions the game sends you on.

I'm still patiently waiting for the game and have pre ordered it, but these trailers really need to show me more true gameplay, i.e. UI interaction and everything but combat, which is already a given and on every other trailer out there.

• iamjmkiamjmk Member Posts: 51

The "Exploration trailer" looked pretty combat heavy. Not that I mind that put I doubt thats really what the exploration crowd is waiting for....... just saying. 

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

The explorer within me didn't feel so happy... but I guess that's because the trailer talks about nothing, simply shows some game footage and calls it exploring.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Expoloration, eh?  Looked more like random gameplay vids to me.

I have high hopes for this game, but after Champions, I have very little faith in Cryptic as a MMO company.  Here's hoping they don't screw this one up..

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Characters animate like shit. This game is another fail.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Seriously? This is a game trailer put out by a professional company?  You can't tell me the marketing people reviewed the final cut and said "Yep, that's fantastic!"

It is clear that Cryptic has surrounded itself with Yes Men, a self-reinforcing circle of people telling each other what a fantastic job they're doing.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Cerion

Seriously? This is a game trailer put out by a professional company?  You can't tell me the marketing people reviewed the final cut and said "Yep, that's fantastic!"
    It is clear that Cryptic has surrounded itself with Yes Men, a self-reinforcing circle of people telling each other what a fantastic job they're doing.

Yes it seems so.

I have't played STO yet, but every single one of my CO guild I talked to and who plays STO said they WON'T play the game. Whatever that says.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Expoloration, eh?  Looked more like random gameplay vids to me.
    I have high hopes for this game, but after Champions, I have very little faith in Cryptic as a MMO company.  Here's hoping they don't screw this one up..

Random space battle vids aren't "exploration oriented" anyway...

I hope that blurb came from Cryptic and not MMORPG, because I saw no exploring, someone is bull**itting us.

Just on a side note, since STO will be using the same engine as CO, it will suffer from the same problems that CO has been going through; namely the fact that Nvidia cards running the latest drivers makes the game stutter like crazy, and CO has crashed for multiple hours on every holiday the last  two months (due to the servers having issues if not monitored every minute of the day).

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Wow all I saw wwas some cut seens, it shows us nothing of how thing are going to work as far as combat and all.  While I think the cut seens looks good, how about real combat seens form the game.

• mythran7mythran7 Member Posts: 57

Yes, after watching that trailer I'm inclined to agree. I really want this game to work, but empty stuff like that has me a little concerned.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Well, as a 'non-combat exploration' type player, after watching this "exploration" trailer, I've pretty much decided to write this game off.

Seriously, didn't look like any exploring done in this trailer.

BOOO!

• pcolapatpcolapat Member Posts: 36

Just preordered the game from gamestop, can't wait

JOIN TODAY!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Not a particularly informative trailer, nor did it really appear to focus on exploration.  Cryptic should be able to do a lot better than that.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

A bunch of footage of fly-bys of starships, some characters running through boring looking landscapes with some heavy-duty weapons equipped, and more combat. Doesn't look good to me.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by mythran7

Yes, after watching that trailer I'm inclined to agree. I really want this game to work, but empty stuff like that has me a little concerned.

I agree.

It just shows that the people at Cryptic clearly haven't watched much the Star Trek shows at all. Plus they really need to buy a new dictionary.

As they clearly have no idea about exploration.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

If you want as genuine Star Trek gameplay as possible, try Starquest Online.

Graphics are from UO era but the gameplay is enough to make any Star Trek geek require underwear laundry.

• crab66crab66 Member Posts: 6

Is this a joke?

That shows nothing about exploration. Nothing about the UI for traveling around the game world or planets. Nothing about the scope of the game world itself. No commentary about where you can and can't go.

It's just a bunch of random scenes strung together with no purpose.

I still have hope for this game but I have been underwhelmed by everything I have seen so far.

If Infinity ever gets up and running that will be one hell of an exploration game.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The more hype, the more caution felt.

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120

Same here.  These STO trailers they're unleashing have gone beyond empty and into just irritating to watch.  They're like those Axe Body Spray commercials where some sweaty guy douses himself with the crap and expects to worshipped by goodlooking women (and/or men).  Dude, you still stink.

I've put off pre-ordering... indefinitely.  I do hope it works out, though.