Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what games are the vets in?

wolf63wolf63 Member Posts: 19

Miss the old community, anything out there worth getting onto?

Comments

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by wolf63

Most of my SWG vet friends are in LOTR and/or EVE atm.  Me, I'm beta testing stuff ^_^.  I like helping out with the development process of new MMOs.  I love the genre and the MMO gaming community in general.  I also have a lot of respect for many of the developers who put their blood, sweat and tears into a new game.  Generally any issues I have are with the suits that screw up the work of their developers and the experience of their players by changing the vision of the game anytime a new "get rich quick" scheme pops into their heads.

I'm looking forward to the release of STO and TOR.  I'm a PvP fan so I'll probably try Klingons when STO goes live.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Originally posted by wolf63

Most of my SWG vet friends are in LOTR and/or EVE atm.  Me, I'm beta testing stuff ^_^.  I like helping out with the development process of new MMOs.  I love the genre and the MMO gaming community in general.  I also have a lot of respect for many of the developers who put their blood, sweat and tears into a new game.  Generally any issues I have are with the suits that screw up the work of their developers and the experience of their players by changing the vision of the game anytime a new "get rich quick" scheme pops into their heads.

I'm looking forward to the release of STO and TOR.  I'm a PvP fan so I'll probably try Klingons when STO goes live.

That is an issue even I am guilty of. Often us players refer to the people making bad MMOs as "the developers", but in reality the developers are just making what they are told. The real culprits are the designers/suits.

As for what I am playing at the moment, nothing. Haven't found an MMO that is good enough to be playing that I haven't already played and gotten bored of.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• wolf63wolf63 Member Posts: 19

Gonna try klingon side of sto myself, looks decent from what i have seen.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I have been playing LotRO and am enjoying it. I joined it back when the game and its previous expansion were included (and 30 days game play) for $9.99. I had heard more good about the game than bad, and was pleased to find a good game that is not buggy and has enough content to keep me quite entertained. I was also  fourtunate enough to fall into a great, supportive guild. I am not big into PvP, so I can understand those that do not caring for the game.

If I was not already involved in LotRO, I would probably be playing Fallen Earth. I am also looking forward to the player feedback on Global Agenda and Star Trek On-Line when they release Feb 1st and 2nd respectively.

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

Same here on the LOTRO gaming. I enjoy it for its ability to allow for solo play as my hours are always unpredicatable. Overall, the game is good and the expansions are actually quality upgrades to the gameplay. The new skirmish system is a ton of fun and a perfect addition to my options when I do get to play. Its not for everyone but certainly is better than the  normal fare and will keep me subscribing until I get a good long term solution to my sci-fi mmo need.

Star Trek Online or SWTOR may be the next up on deck.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Playing WoW believe it or not. Quite frankly, it was John Smedleys endorsement of the game that got me to try it in the first place. I mean, if you ruin your own game just to make it like another game, that's a pretty big endorsement. Thanks to John, I just HAD to see what all the fuss was about. Took me awhile to figure out that WoW is more of a complete playground (ie: with slides and swings), than a sandbox. Once I got into it, I found it quite fun. Still miss the sandbox though.

Now that I've figured out what WoW is all about, whenever I return to SWG (on a vet trial), it makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit each time I see a 'new' gameplay mechanic that they've shamelessly lifted from WoW. Gameplay mechanics that never quite work as smoothly as they do WoW's version. So if I'm gonna play WoW, might as well play the version that works (and has a decent population).

Waiting on TOR of course, and HOPING that STO doesn't suck as much as I think it's going to.

Other than that, I've picked up a few older FPS games and have been quite happy with those.

If TOR sucks though, I will be sad, and will probably swear off MMO's.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Global Agenda looks interesting to me. Pre-order it now and you gain access to Beta this month, due Feb. STO and SW:ToR of course are the other "big" games of 2010 IMO.

Until these games release though, I'm quite happy playing CoD (5&6) games.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Playing WoW believe it or not. Quite frankly, it was John Smedleys endorsement of the game that got me to try it in the first place. I mean, if you ruin your own game just to make it like another game, that's a pretty big endorsement. Thanks to John, I just HAD to see what all the fuss was about. Took me awhile to figure out that WoW is more of a complete playground (ie: with slides and swings), than a sandbox. Once I got into it, I found it quite fun. Still miss the sandbox though.
    Now that I've figured out what WoW is all about, whenever I return to SWG (on a vet trial), it makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit each time I see a 'new' gameplay mechanic that they've shamelessly lifted from WoW. Gameplay mechanics that never quite work as smoothly as they do WoW's version. So if I'm gonna play WoW, might as well play the version that works (and has a decent population).
    Waiting on TOR of course, and HOPING that STO doesn't suck as much as I think it's going to.
    Other than that, I've picked up a few older FPS games and have been quite happy with those.
    If TOR sucks though, I will be sad, and will probably swear off MMO's.

Funny you say that about WoW.  I played for a while at the invitation of a friend.  When I saw how many of the systems had been ripped off by CUNGE though, I just couldn't stand it lol. 

I do have other friends that play though.  They're good people in a nice guild, and they've been enjoying it for a long time now.  Apart from unpleasant reminders of the NGE, the only problem I had in WoW was waiting in the queue to get in because my friend's server was just so bloody full.  I guess that's not a bad problem to have it you're in the MMO business lol, too many people :P.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Not playing any MMORPG atm. Just cant find that experience SWG used to give me. I have played LOTRO on and off the last couple of years, but im just tired of it riight now. The Rohan expansion might be the next time i return, for the wide open spaces i hope will be there to explore.

My intrest in LOTRO is mostly about the lore and the story, so Bioware isnt exactly the first company to bring that fourth pillar to the genre imo. They are most likely taking it further tho.

My interest of the genre has gone the way of the Dodo...

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Playing EvE. It's certainly not a drop-in replacement for Pre-CU SWG, but it stands on it's own merits as a great game in my opinion.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

My plan is to wait it out on WoW ( its where SOE send me too) with a brief stop at STO to TOR.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Playing Wurm and FoM. The former somewhat similar in terms of player housing and scouting out cool locales to live in, the latter similar in terms of nothing really ever happening in the game unless people do something about it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by JestorRodo

My plan is to wait it out on WoW ( its where SOE send me too) with a brief stop at STO to TOR.

Which realm? Horde or Alliance?

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

I'm trying out Fallen Earth right now.

If what I've read is to be believed, this is very much a work in progress and there is probably as much wrong with the game as there is right with it.

But how about these features old SWG fans?

Skill based system, no instances - completely open world, no fast travel, complex and satisfying crafting system, Horse and vehicle mounts. BTW your horse never disappears unless you store it like in a barn. You have to feed it, heal it, take care of it. Taverns/bars which generate a beneficial buff for hanging around there, gambling, and player created "camps" which also give a buff and allow access to mail and vaults without returning to town. Online GMs! 6 fully fleshed out factions (all human).

I haven't PvPd yet, but comments I've read lead me to believe that much work needs to be done here. PvE is said to be too easy. Supposedly lot's of other bugs, glitches... you know.

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a world to live in, this could be it. Even I'm not sure of that yet, but it does look promising!

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by JestorRodo My plan is to wait it out on WoW ( its where SOE send me too) with a brief stop at STO to TOR.

Which realm? Horde or Alliance?

Hellscream - Alliance - Thanks for asking

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Nothing.

I've played a lot since leaving SWG, but none for more than a couple of months...I just suddenly realise how linear and single minded these games are, and get bored.

Quest, quest, quest, level level level....snore.

Exception....I almost stayed in Darkfall...kinda kicking myself in the ass now that I didn't. People may scream "It's not a sandbox!!!" but it's still more of a sandbox than most titles out there at the moment.

Fallen Earth looked promising, but I beta tested it for a couple months, and saw a familiar pattern emerging (nothing gets fixed, performance sucks ass) so I bailed ship.

Now I'm just kinda waiting, and playing some stuff from other genres (L4D2, Borderlands, etc).

Originally posted by Scrogdog

I'm trying out Fallen Earth right now.
    If what I've read is to be believed, this is very much a work in progress and there is probably as much wrong with the game as there is right with it.
    But how about these features old SWG fans?
    Skill based system, no instances - completely open world, no fast travel, complex and satisfying crafting system, Horse and vehicle mounts. BTW your horse never disappears unless you store it like in a barn. You have to feed it, heal it, take care of it. Taverns/bars which generate a beneficial buff for hanging around there, gambling, and player created "camps" which also give a buff and allow access to mail and vaults without returning to town. Online GMs! 6 fully fleshed out factions (all human).
    I haven't PvPd yet, but comments I've read lead me to believe that much work needs to be done here. PvE is said to be too easy. Supposedly lot's of other bugs, glitches... you know.
    I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a world to live in, this could be it. Even I'm not sure of that yet, but it does look promising!

Quick aside, it looks like Fallen Earth is about to get a graphics overhaul already.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/78850

That's both scary and impressive.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Quick aside, it looks like Fallen Earth is about to get a graphics overhaul already.

It looks great, but the way the game looked was never really an issue to me...it was the HORRIBLE performance.

In the beta forums we had several LONG threads about what could be done to improve the performance of the game and also reduce crowd lag, and we were completely ignored.

If somehow these new changes result in smooth gameplay, then maybe we'll have something....but I just can't get my hopes up at this point.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I'm in CoH, and I have to say that for the first time, I'm liking it as much as old SWG.

The key for me was to get into an RP group.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• LongsnoutLongsnout Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Nothing.
    I've played a lot since leaving SWG, but none for more than a couple of months...I just suddenly realise how linear and single minded these games are, and get bored.
    Quest, quest, quest, level level level....snore.
    Exception....I almost stayed in Darkfall...kinda kicking myself in the ass now that I didn't. People may scream "It's not a sandbox!!!" but it's still more of a sandbox than most titles out there at the moment.
    Fallen Earth looked promising, but I beta tested it for a couple months, and saw a familiar pattern emerging (nothing gets fixed, performance sucks ass) so I bailed ship.
    Now I'm just kinda waiting, and playing some stuff from other genres (L4D2, Borderlands, etc).

You Sir, need to get out of my head. Right now.

How dare you to speak MY mind?

============================================================

Nobody is useless, he/she can still be used as a bad example.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

After leaving because of the nightmare of how they brought NGE on in 2005, this SWG vet returned to SWG in 2008, and am having a blast still.

SWG is better in many ways then it was Pre CU. It's far from perfect (As it always was), but NO other MMO offers all the sandbox options SWG does. Crafting is still tops. The best items are crafted. Items of same type can be made better then others. Everything is not the same. Ents meds, buff again. All crafters are important. 

There are MORE viable combat builds now then ever. EVERY combat class can be played effective in PVP/PVE. No longer is it everyone running around in the same comp armor, with the same FOTM build. No longer is it about who has the biggest mind dot. You also usually fight standing up instead of lying on the ground! Auto-target is back. Expertise can mimmick many of the old templet mix feels, and many new ones (like spy!). Beast Master is back and can be mixed with any class.

Some servers are dead, but servers like Flurry, Starsider, Bria, Chimera(euro) are as populated as any server pre nge. Starsider can even be considered "overpopulated". There is plenty open world PVP on the populated servers (just declare yourself "Special Forces").

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

I know Im in Fallen Earth, which is a lot like SWG (pre NGE)

and have met a lot of vets in it

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

It looks great, but the way the game looked was never really an issue to me...it was the HORRIBLE performance.

In the beta forums we had several LONG threads about what could be done to improve the performance of the game and also reduce crowd lag, and we were completely ignored.

If somehow these new changes result in smooth gameplay, then maybe we'll have something....but I just can't get my hopes up at this point.

performance is pretty damned good now

I wasnt around for beta but getting to early 20s (45 max lvl atm) Ive ran into only a handful of bugs

and in this month ive CTDed only twice (only been playing for a month)

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I tried Fallen Earth and that game actually plays more like early NGE with it's poor preforming FPS wannabe feel.

Crafting in FE is cool, but everything is equal. your .45 is the same as every .45 of the same type. SWG you can make a better version with a good Station/suit/resources/buffs. Crafters can make names for themselves with high quality work.

No open world housing, or Open world Guild cities in FE. Not much open world PVP either in FE. I'm on Starsider in SWG and last night we had hundreds in mass chaos PVP. Was a riot.

SWG has an appearance tab now, so you can make any look you want. You can view what someone is actually wearing still (for pvp purposes of course).

Non combat sandbox is huge in SWG to go along with it's combat (which is 2 totally different games with space and ground). The great work players do on decorating, and making cool Guild Cities, is impossible in FE.

I don't know why FE was given the rep of Pre CU like, but I say NO. If you want something to return the fun Pre Cu SWG, a good server in SWG still is the best option.

• BogieBogie Member UncommonPosts: 65

I was playing Fallen Earth for a few months, but it didn't really hold my interest.   Just started playing Dragon Age: Origins.  Also just finished up Force Unleashed.  Other then that I am just waiting for Mass Effect 2, STO and SW:TOR.  Keeping my eye on Global Agenda also.  That looks like an interesting game.

Bogie

Corellian Run
    Jedi Sentinel