Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Most Improved Game of 2009

2456

Comments

  • wilson1225wilson1225 Columbus, OHPosts: 48Member

    This award makes no sense to me.  Very little has improved in Conan since launch.  They still haven't gotten a lot of the features they claimed would be in at launch (t3 raiding, tower pvp) and the battlekeep sieges are still buggy and unstable (not to mention the siege gameplay is horrible). 

    The amount of content they have added is very small and when you look at how many monthly fees you paid since launch for them it's a horrible deal.   Funcom has some of the slowest patch cycles of any MMO dev.  They also have no idea how to balance casting vs. melee as shown by their recent, laughable attempt (casters can't use sta potions).

  • eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wilson1225


    This award makes no sense to me.  Very little has improved in Conan since launch.  They still haven't gotten a lot of the features they claimed would be in at launch (t3 raiding, tower pvp) and the battlekeep sieges are still buggy and unstable (not to mention the siege gameplay is horrible). 
    The amount of content they have added is very small and when you look at how many monthly fees you paid since launch for them it's a horrible deal.   Funcom has some of the slowest patch cycles of any MMO dev.  They also have no idea how to balance casting vs. melee as shown by their recent, laughable attempt (casters can't use sta potions).

        Agreed!  Cripes you cant even craft til your lvl 40 who thee heck ever heard of that and PvP is still an unbalanced gank fest

  • BooksBooks Spring Hill, FLPosts: 80Member

     Yeah it's called bias. There's way too much of it when it comes to journalism and the video game industry. 

    I'm with a previous poster. They'd have to remove all of the world instancing to get me even slightly interested in going back. 

    image

  • haratuharatu Tom Price, AKPosts: 409Member

    People who do not see much change in the game probably have not left Tortage or not played end-game. Many bugs have been fixed, system is more fluid, systems have been adjusted to work better and lots of new areas have been added over the last year.

    You can not judge if a game has improved from a short time playing.

  • LiltawenLiltawen San Antonio, TXPosts: 245Member

    Congrats to Funcom.

    I always heard how 'instanced' AoC was; but once you get out of Tortage it doesn't seem that bad to me. It's a technology mechanic- Whats the big deal?

  • MeridionMeridion HeidelbergPosts: 1,490Member

    Erm, honestly: What exactly is instanced in AoC that is open worlded in any other modern title?

    Dungeons are instanced (like in WoW, WAR, Aion, you name it...) and overworld zones are open for everyone. Or are you talking about zoning and invisible walls? - That's another issue, but "instancing" is not more apparent than in any other major post-WoW game.

    M

  • SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Dallas, TXPosts: 324Member
    Originally posted by haratu


    I would hope that other MMO companies take this example that a poor game at launch can be resurrected in quality with some good management (looking at you NCSoft).

     

    Actually I hope other MMO companies see this and not release games in utterly unplayable states (like Funcom has done twice).

     

    Stop encouraging companies like Funcom to release garbage and take an extra 2 years to make the game worth a damn while people pay to be dissappointed.

     

    Congratulations to Funcom-

    You have managed to polish this turd to shiny luster, next time try not to make a game that looks smells and feels like a turd.

     

    P.S. - MMORPG has to have the crappiest message editor I have ever seen, it reminds me of  DOS based MS Works.

  • MeridionMeridion HeidelbergPosts: 1,490Member
    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

    Originally posted by haratu


    I would hope that other MMO companies take this example that a poor game at launch can be resurrected in quality with some good management (looking at you NCSoft).

     

    Actually I hope other MMO companies see this and not release games in utterly unplayable states (like Funcom has done twice).

     

    Stop encouraging companies like Funcom to release garbage and take an extra 2 years to make the game worth a damn while people pay to be dissappointed.

     

    Congratulations to Funcom-

    You have managed to polish this turd to shiny luster, next time try not to make a game that looks smells and feels like a turd.

     

    P.S. - MMORPG has to have the crappiest message editor I have ever seen, it reminds me of  DOS based MS Works.

    Just don't buy freshly released games.

     

    I have only ONCE not been disappointed and that was when I bought LotRo 2 weeks after release. Seriously any game I know sucked when it went live, even the three letter game. 

    Sure, you don't wanna join after 5 years, but waiting 6 months only brings advantages, the game is at 50% of the original price, people have already spread out, you don't run the risk of joining one of those vaporizing newcomer-guilds, ... 

    M

  • dhayes68dhayes68 New York, NYPosts: 1,393Member
    Originally posted by Shadewalker

    Originally posted by keithianw


    No, he was not talking about Darkfall and I agree with him. Unlike games like WOW and Lord of the Rings Online, that subtle change of landscape that takes place as you run from one zone to another is missing because each zone has doors/instances. and the zones while beautiful don't make you feel as if you are exploring an open and breathing world. That is why I left in the middle of 2009. Though even WOW and LOTRO have instances, the world itself generally speaking is pretty open where you can literally run for miles and miles before you are forced to hit a door. The other issue is that their technical support gives up too easily with things they don't understand..like the sound anomolies I was having while walking (maybe they got better?)
    Regardless, I will say that this game had stunning graphics, excellent classes, good UI responsiveness, had a great guild, and was  fun for a while, but I just couldn't hang on because i felt disconnected from the story and the instanced zones didnt help. It certainly is a game that everyone should try for themselves.
     



     

    Sounds like you're talking about what I'd call zones then, rather than the usual meaning of instances - which as in Tortage night time would be instanced areas containing only you (and your group). However, most of AoC's world is open to everybody and the zones are large so I don't see how anyone could find them restricting to be honest.

     

    AoC is heavily zoned, and each zone is heavily instanced. two people can be standing side by side, talking in IM's in the middle of the FoTD for example, yet not see each other because the zone is instanced. Every single part of AoC is instanced. If you haven't seen it, its because the population is so low the instancing isn't being triggered.

  • MeridionMeridion HeidelbergPosts: 1,490Member
    Originally posted by dhayes68

    Originally posted by Shadewalker

    Originally posted by keithianw


    No, he was not talking about Darkfall and I agree with him. Unlike games like WOW and Lord of the Rings Online, that subtle change of landscape that takes place as you run from one zone to another is missing because each zone has doors/instances. and the zones while beautiful don't make you feel as if you are exploring an open and breathing world. That is why I left in the middle of 2009. Though even WOW and LOTRO have instances, the world itself generally speaking is pretty open where you can literally run for miles and miles before you are forced to hit a door. The other issue is that their technical support gives up too easily with things they don't understand..like the sound anomolies I was having while walking (maybe they got better?)
    Regardless, I will say that this game had stunning graphics, excellent classes, good UI responsiveness, had a great guild, and was  fun for a while, but I just couldn't hang on because i felt disconnected from the story and the instanced zones didnt help. It certainly is a game that everyone should try for themselves.
     



     

    Sounds like you're talking about what I'd call zones then, rather than the usual meaning of instances - which as in Tortage night time would be instanced areas containing only you (and your group). However, most of AoC's world is open to everybody and the zones are large so I don't see how anyone could find them restricting to be honest.

     

    AoC is heavily zoned, and each zone is heavily instanced. two people can be standing side by side, talking in IM's in the middle of the FoTD for example, yet not see each other because the zone is instanced. Every single part of AoC is instanced. If you haven't seen it, its because the population is so low the instancing isn't being triggered.

    you mean it opens up new instances of one overworld zone if the population gets too heavy? Come on, that's actually a safety mechanism and lots of other games do this, Everquest 2, Aion... so what?

     

    I won't say it is an advantage, but it's nothing that makes AoC more instanced than any other modern game. M

  • LiltawenLiltawen San Antonio, TXPosts: 245Member
    Originally posted by Meridion

    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

    Originally posted by haratu


    I would hope that other MMO companies take this example that a poor game at launch can be resurrected in quality with some good management (looking at you NCSoft).

     

    Actually I hope other MMO companies see this and not release games in utterly unplayable states (like Funcom has done twice).

     

    Stop encouraging companies like Funcom to release garbage and take an extra 2 years to make the game worth a damn while people pay to be dissappointed.

     

    Congratulations to Funcom-

    You have managed to polish this turd to shiny luster, next time try not to make a game that looks smells and feels like a turd.

     

    P.S. - MMORPG has to have the crappiest message editor I have ever seen, it reminds me of  DOS based MS Works.

    Just don't buy freshly released games.

     

    I have only ONCE not been disappointed and that was when I bought LotRo 2 weeks after release. Seriously any game I know sucked when it went live, even the three letter game. 

    Sure, you don't wanna join after 5 years, but waiting 6 months only brings advantages, the game is at 50% of the original price, people have already spread out, you don't run the risk of joining one of those vaporizing newcomer-guilds, ... 

    M

     

    Absolutely. I got LOTRO and AOC 6mo. after launch and had no problems with either.

  • dhayes68dhayes68 New York, NYPosts: 1,393Member
    Originally posted by Meridion

    Originally posted by dhayes68

    Originally posted by Shadewalker

    Originally posted by keithianw


    No, he was not talking about Darkfall and I agree with him. Unlike games like WOW and Lord of the Rings Online, that subtle change of landscape that takes place as you run from one zone to another is missing because each zone has doors/instances. and the zones while beautiful don't make you feel as if you are exploring an open and breathing world. That is why I left in the middle of 2009. Though even WOW and LOTRO have instances, the world itself generally speaking is pretty open where you can literally run for miles and miles before you are forced to hit a door. The other issue is that their technical support gives up too easily with things they don't understand..like the sound anomolies I was having while walking (maybe they got better?)
    Regardless, I will say that this game had stunning graphics, excellent classes, good UI responsiveness, had a great guild, and was  fun for a while, but I just couldn't hang on because i felt disconnected from the story and the instanced zones didnt help. It certainly is a game that everyone should try for themselves.
     



     

    Sounds like you're talking about what I'd call zones then, rather than the usual meaning of instances - which as in Tortage night time would be instanced areas containing only you (and your group). However, most of AoC's world is open to everybody and the zones are large so I don't see how anyone could find them restricting to be honest.

     

    AoC is heavily zoned, and each zone is heavily instanced. two people can be standing side by side, talking in IM's in the middle of the FoTD for example, yet not see each other because the zone is instanced. Every single part of AoC is instanced. If you haven't seen it, its because the population is so low the instancing isn't being triggered.

    you mean it opens up new instances of one overworld zone if the population gets too heavy? Come on, that's actually a safety mechanism and lots of other games do this, Everquest 2, Aion... so what?

    I won't say it is an advantage, but it's nothing that makes AoC more instanced than any other modern game.

    There is no 'so what'. Someone said there was instancing, someone else said there wasn't, I said there was.

  • thanoskkkthanoskkk AthensPosts: 229Member Common

    I totally agree, AoC is indeed the Most Improved Game of 2009. Well done funcom.

    He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

  • LaterisLateris Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,802Member

     Congratz to  Mr. Mojo Risin Craig Morrison.  

  • zerglin87zerglin87 Livermore, CAPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

    Originally posted by haratu


    I would hope that other MMO companies take this example that a poor game at launch can be resurrected in quality with some good management (looking at you NCSoft).

     

    Actually I hope other MMO companies see this and not release games in utterly unplayable states (like Funcom has done twice).

     

    Stop encouraging companies like Funcom to release garbage and take an extra 2 years to make the game worth a damn while people pay to be dissappointed.

     

    Congratulations to Funcom-

    You have managed to polish this turd to shiny luster, next time try not to make a game that looks smells and feels like a turd.

     

    P.S. - MMORPG has to have the crappiest message editor I have ever seen, it reminds me of  DOS based MS Works.

     

    Atleast funcom can actually bring a game back from the coffin I have yet to see any developer go from "worst launched" mmo to "most improved MMO" other than Funcom

    Funcom may suck at launching, but they sure as hell know how to fix their mess really well.

  • Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Van Nuys, CAPosts: 1,190Member


    Originally posted by Books
     Yeah it's called bias. There's way too much of it when it comes to journalism and the video game industry. 
    I'm with a previous poster. They'd have to remove all of the world instancing to get me even slightly interested in going back. 

    Yeah it's called opinion. There's way too much it when it comes to journalism and the real world industry.

    If you want to do your part in helping to fight off the opinion invasion you can refrain from posting.

    Fight the power, fight it, fight it real good.

  • MeridionMeridion HeidelbergPosts: 1,490Member
    Originally posted by dhayes68

    (...) 

    There is no 'so what'. Someone said there was instancing, someone else said there wasn't, I said there was.

    Yeah but the argument was more like "AoC is all-instanced, like no other game out there" while it just features a mechanic that saves almost all modern games from a user overload and server instabilities. 

     

    The argument "I particularly don't play AoC because the instancing of the overworld zones is a gamebreaker for me" pops the moment you log into practically any other game on the market, even the 2010 Everquest.

    M

    Edit: Even EvE Online splits clusters if too many ships are in one area, ask the fleet-battles-are-broken-complainers ^^

  • DolmongDolmong KowloonPosts: 515Member

    First Anarchy Online, now Age of Conan, sure seems Funcom knows how to develop a MMO in long term instead of launch =)

    Which is good, I admire their ability and their determination to bring success to their customers even in a worse state.  A very good model for not even MMO, but all the business oriented people should take as an example.  (I shall learn from them too)    Hopefully next one "The Secret World" will be GOOD at launch and all the way to bring success to Funcom.  You deserve a cookie from me !! :)

    Now I am currently not subbing AoC, I will do so in this year! 

  • UwayUway Dayton, OHPosts: 58Member

    AoC has improved in their pve content, yet they are still lacking in the pvp department atm.

    Most improved game of 2009? Hardly...shouldn't even be a nominee.

    We are talking about a game that has lost a lot of  subs because of the changes that have been made in the past year.

    I like AoC and I am currently playing it but there are other games that have "improved" more so than the winner.

    The future looks bright for this game in 2010 but 2009 was just a failure as far as improvements in the game.

     

    Rise above hate.

    Ignore fan boys.

  • BigMangoBigMango BrightonPosts: 1,821Member
    Originally posted by Meridion

    Originally posted by dhayes68


    AoC is heavily zoned, and each zone is heavily instanced. two people can be standing side by side, talking in IM's in the middle of the FoTD for example, yet not see each other because the zone is instanced. Every single part of AoC is instanced. If you haven't seen it, its because the population is so low the instancing isn't being triggered.

    you mean it opens up new instances of one overworld zone if the population gets too heavy? Come on, that's actually a safety mechanism and lots of other games do this, Everquest 2, Aion... so what?

     

    I won't say it is an advantage, but it's nothing that makes AoC more instanced than any other modern game. M

     

    .. if the population gets too heavy? LOL, man you have no idea what you are talking about.

    The "heavy" you are talking about is 48 players max. YES: 48!

    There can be max 48 players in each of AoC's zones and then it instances a copy of itself. Talk about an open world, hahaha.

    The only exception is the pvp sieges which can have 96 players max (48 players from each side, 48x2 = 96). A guild can't even have all of its players fighting together. Yes, talk about "heavy" that needs a "safety mechanism" ... .

    Why are we playing mmos again... there's the word massive in there, right? Looking at the many normal multiplayer games (not mmos) that are more "massive" than aoc, I'm not even sure AoC can qualify as an mmo...   its just an "mo" with a single M, nothing more.

     

     

     

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,847Member Uncommon

    I agree. I've just recently popped back into Hyboria (yes, I switch games a lot) and have to say I'm impressed. Playing a new Conq right now and other than Tortage still being Tortage everything is impressive, I even get good FPS on high DX10 settings now, which used to be impossible.

  • fodell54fodell54 Nolanville, TXPosts: 309Member Uncommon

    Great game and only getting better. Very well deserved congrats

    image

  • Frostbite05Frostbite05 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 1,880Member
    Originally posted by Tobias3


     Hahahahaha, really? It's still hardly an MMO. 
     
    Yet Darkfall gets two massive expansions and nothing. Of course. 
     
    Oh well, I guess the people who took over the train wreck the original folks left it in have stalled the fall, which is a solid improvement. 

     

    Those weren't massive expansions pal they were average content patches. Secondly, AoC came a long long long way from what it was at the start of 09. Fix the sieges and have a very good expansion launch and this game could very well recover to a healthy mmo status.

  • WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Vacaville, CAPosts: 225Member
    Originally posted by Tobias3

    Originally posted by orlac


    Darkfall was released in 2009, hence no improvement.

    That doesn't change the fact that there have been many massive improvements to the game. Funny how a 30 man dev team can make more progress in a year than games like AoC or WoW can in 3 years. 

     

    The award is for games that came out in 2008. And Darkfall is a lot more, horrificly, bad at launch then AoC was. The "skill system"...it is the same as leveling...people just want to be hardcore. The combat system is very simple and how many more times must I kill a goblin. I resubbed to DF twice and it still needs way more improvement. The irony is you talk about a 30 man dev team...well its because it is 30 that DF fails on so many levels. Don't forget the delays and how it really is, extremely, unfinished. Case in point: fanboys are a joke, you obviously love the game which does not bother me at all because I think in time it -can- be good but....the game really just sucks....right now. And don't even compare it to WoW. I don't play WoW anymore but it has 11+ million, Darkfall doesnt even have 100k. If you're going to argue...argue the right way. And the Kracken video is still really lame. it's a random encounter like other enemies but just 'glossier than most';l it's like a FMV from Final Fantasy.

  • WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Vacaville, CAPosts: 225Member
    Originally posted by granit1024

    Originally posted by Tobias3

    Originally posted by orlac


    Darkfall was released in 2009, hence no improvement.

    That doesn't change the fact that there have been many massive improvements to the game. Funny how a 30 man dev team can make more progress in a year than games like AoC or WoW can in 3 years. 



     

    As bad as Darkfall is, how hard can it be to improve it?

     

    this. i couldnt have said it any better. why not just go back to UO. more contact and it's basically the same, just 2D. And people that play DF say that graphics dont matter so...go back to UO.

Sign In or Register to comment.