Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Most Improved Game of 2009

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The editorial staff here at MMORPG.com has made their decisions, and today we start to unveil the winners of the 2009 MMORPG.com awards by naming our Most Improved Game of 2009.

It wasn’t easy to decide on this year’s Most Improved game. There were a lot of factors to consider, expansion packs, minor updates, major updates, quality of change, and sheer bulk. In the end though, the Most Improved prize went to a game that, while viewed by many as a bitter disappointment at its launch, may have hit its stride in 2009, becoming the game that many players would have liked to see back in 2008 when it launched.

Read Most Improved Game of 2009.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

This is well deserved. They've come a long way.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice! It is essentially a different game and what many that play now think this should of been at release.

With Update 1.6 soon to go live follow by the Godslayer Expansion over the next few months things are looking busy.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I only hope all the improved reviews and accolades translate into a larger player base. After leaving Tortage I was hard pressed to find anyone willing to group or even help me. 

What an amazing game tho, has lots of potential.  

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• Tobias3Tobias3 Member Posts: 81

Hahahahaha, really? It's still hardly an MMO. 

Yet Darkfall gets two massive expansions and nothing. Of course. 

Oh well, I guess the people who took over the train wreck the original folks left it in have stalled the fall, which is a solid improvement. 

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Well, i sure didnt see this coming.

congrats aoc

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Congratz to Funcom! I remeber playing the game when it 1st came out and quit. I returned 4 months ago and having a blast. So many things have improved with this game and with an expansion coming out it'll be even better! Still has some work but its far better than alot of games out there right now.

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH raises the double plunger salute to Funcom)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Darkfall was released in 2009, hence no improvement.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Funcom deserves this for the work they have put into the game in the last year. I bought played and quit the game all in about three weeks near this time last year. It may be time for a second look.

• Tobias3Tobias3 Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by orlac

That doesn't change the fact that there have been many massive improvements to the game. Funny how a 30 man dev team can make more progress in a year than games like AoC or WoW can in 3 years. 

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

Definitely well deserved.  I bought a years subscription and haven't regretted it.  Well done, Funcom.

Prax

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Tobias3

That doesn't change the fact that there have been many massive improvements to the game. Funny how a 30 man dev team can make more progress in a year than games like AoC or WoW can in 3 years. 

As bad as Darkfall is, how hard can it be to improve it?

• naesanaesa Member Posts: 3

If only they would remove the silly instanced world ppl might return when the expansion arrives. This game is one of the best ever minus the fact that all zones are instanced. A total gamebreaker for me :(

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

-in b4 finaticd's rant-

gg FC, now dont rush the TSW release, let it be good :)

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Tobias3

So you don't deny your argument has no base!

You lose! Good day, sir!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Not in my opion and i think several others, Funcom deserves neither support or very little respect.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by naesa

If only they would remove the silly instanced world ppl might return when the expansion arrives. This game is one of the best ever minus the fact that all zones are instanced. A total gamebreaker for me :(

I assume you're talking about Darkfall, as that certainly doesn't describe AoC.

Congratulations to Funcom, a very well deserved award, it's an incredibly improved game and if you upgrade to a high-end rig it's even more improved.

I have  a sneaking hope that Warhammer wins this particular award next year, and I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

As for the disappointment over Darkfall not getting the award this time, I thought it was already the perfect MMO at launch  so how could it have qualified?

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

is just me that go the feeling that this list  only took on consideration games that have "issues"

is like looking at a class and only see the improvement for kids that had   C D E and not looking at kids that got A or B and try to get a A+

BestSigEver :P

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

So the utter failure of a mmo at release that has spent maybe the most advertising dollar on mmorpg has won "most improved game?"

./golfclap

DDO for the win baby..

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Shadewalker

Originally posted by naesa

I assume you're talking about Darkfall, as that certainly doesn't describe AoC.

Congratulations to Funcom, a very well deserved award, it's an incredibly improved game and if you upgrade to a high-end rig it's even more improved.

I have  a sneaking hope that Warhammer wins this particular award next year, and I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

As for the disappointment over Darkfall not getting the award this time, I thought it was already the perfect MMO at launch  so how could it have qualified?

No, he was not talking about Darkfall and I agree with him. Unlike games like WOW and Lord of the Rings Online, that subtle change of landscape that takes place as you run from one zone to another is missing because each zone has doors/instances. and the zones while beautiful don't make you feel as if you are exploring an open and breathing world. That is why I left in the middle of 2009. Though even WOW and LOTRO have instances, the world itself generally speaking is pretty open where you can literally run for miles and miles before you are forced to hit a door. The other issue is that their technical support gives up too easily with things they don't understand..like the sound anomolies I was having while walking (maybe they got better?)

Regardless, I will say that this game had stunning graphics, excellent classes, good UI responsiveness, had a great guild, and was  fun for a while, but I just couldn't hang on because i felt disconnected from the story and the instanced zones didnt help. It certainly is a game that everyone should try for themselves.

There Is Always Hope!

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Gratz FC!

I dont think there is other game that can compete in this category. I still dont like some things about AoC, but devs put a lot of effort into content, features and fixes - so well deserved! These were available for free even if they dont call it "expansion" to look cool, like some other games.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by keithianw

No, he was not talking about Darkfall and I agree with him. Unlike games like WOW and Lord of the Rings Online, that subtle change of landscape that takes place as you run from one zone to another is missing because each zone has doors/instances. and the zones while beautiful don't make you feel as if you are exploring an open and breathing world. That is why I left in the middle of 2009. Though even WOW and LOTRO have instances, the world itself generally speaking is pretty open where you can literally run for miles and miles before you are forced to hit a door. The other issue is that their technical support gives up too easily with things they don't understand..like the sound anomolies I was having while walking (maybe they got better?)
    Regardless, I will say that this game had stunning graphics, excellent classes, good UI responsiveness, had a great guild, and was  fun for a while, but I just couldn't hang on because i felt disconnected from the story and the instanced zones didnt help. It certainly is a game that everyone should try for themselves.

Sounds like you're talking about what I'd call zones then, rather than the usual meaning of instances - which as in Tortage night time would be instanced areas containing only you (and your group). However, most of AoC's world is open to everybody and the zones are large so I don't see how anyone could find them restricting to be honest.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I agree with the nomination, though I think Darkfall should have been a nominee even if it had been I'd personally have picked AoC out as the winner too.

DDO online made many changes with the Unlimited update but as for a straightforward "improvement" I don't think they qualify, though rescuing the game from the abyss is a credit to their ingenuity & surprisingly informed understanding of the free to play market Turbine haven't made huge strides in the way AoC has in actual quality, it was already good & got a bit of a polish.

However with that said, AoC is a long way from where it should be, the 1-20 Tortage quality is undeniable, but that should have been the same for the whole game, & until it is I won't consider it out of beta and worth my money.

• TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 78

Well deserved. The game has shaped up quite nicely, and there´s a lot on the horizon too!

--
    Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I would hope that other MMO companies take this example that a poor game at launch can be resurrected in quality with some good management (looking at you NCSoft).

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Well, this was a surprise.  I recently re-subbed and cancelled again after just a month back.  The changes I saw were only minor.  I'm glad other people are experiencing better results though!