Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC, EQ2, or LotRO?

Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

Been looking for an MMORPG to saite my RP and RPG lust for a good time now, got it down to these three.

I like AoC for its design (I'll admit it, I like the skimpy armor, but also the scenery), for it's interesting combat (sure, it not much different from normal MMO combat, but it still is pretty fun) and I think the player city system is interesting.

I like EQ2 for its lore, how it's so huge, the ratonga (most awsome race ever!), and the housing system.

I like LotRO beacuse it's one of my favorite book series, the new skirmish system is decently fun, and the various things you can do.

Though I sadly know little of the dungeons, raids, and pvp of any of them. I know they all have active RP and PvE communities. I mainly want to just RP, some light PvP, and medium-heavy PvE.

In AoC I'll be playing either a Aquilion Conquorer, or Barbarian.

In LotRO I'll be a Human Champion.

In EQ2 I'll either be a Ratonga Shadow Knight or Brigand.

Comments

• HaliaxHaliax Member Posts: 18

Well, I've never really played any of them for too long but... AoC is the main PvP game of the three, Lotro is the PvE heavy of the three, and EQ2 falls in between though I believe it too is more PvE focused.  Hope this helps you some :)

• genesis885genesis885 Member Posts: 22

So I am in the same boat.  I got a new rig and wanted to get back to the games that melted my laptop when I played them.  I started two threads with AoC vs LOTRO that might be helpful to ya.  Frankly it looks like AoC is winning out so far.  I have played all the games you are talking about, and AoC seems the most fun and good looking.  I would be afraid of EQ2 because its somewhat dieing, ::flamesuit on if I'm wrong::.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/264500/Lotro-vs-AoC.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/262734/page/3

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by genesis885

So I am in the same boat.  I got a new rig and wanted to get back to the games that melted my laptop when I played them.  I started two threads with AoC vs LOTRO that might be helpful to ya.  Frankly it looks like AoC is winning out so far.  I have played all the games you are talking about, and AoC seems the most fun and good looking.  I would be afraid of EQ2 because its somewhat dieing, ::flamesuit on if I'm wrong::.

Naw, no worry about that, hell, EQ has been "dieing" for years now and it still goes decently strong.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I've played all three of those games, and out of them I would recommend LotRO. AoC has amazing graphics, but there are a ton of loading screens which kind of kills the RP atmosphere. EQ2 is a nice PvE/RP game, but is a ghost town early on. I don't like the art style of the game either, but you might. LotRO has the best of both of the previous games though. Great graphics, great PvE/RP and no loading screens. And from what I had read, LotRO has a decent size RP community.

It's been a while since I played LotRO though, so it might also be a ghost town in the newb areas.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've played all 3 games.  

I've been playing EQ2 for 5 years and have done nearly every single thing in it.   Out of these 3, it's my only active game.  

I played AoC to cap (80) and a little beyond that.  I enjoyed it, but ultimately, one's enjoyment of AoC relies in large part on enjoying PvP, 50% or more of the game centered around PvP.  I honestly gave it a good try, rolled on teh RP-PvP server and had over a hundred kills to my name by the time I was 80, but at the end of the day, PvP just wasn't for me, nor could my system handle it very well.  So I quit.  The game design and lore are fantastic.  The world is great.  Main storyline is good and there are lots of more mature elements to make it fun.  Also, HoX = greatest class ever.

I played LoTRO a couple of times to mid-20ish levels.  It's by far the most immersive of the three games.  The story is awesome and your role in it makes great sense.  The graphics are worse than that other two games quality-wise, but the art design is amazing, which makes up for the clunkiness and makes the world look really good.  The reason I didn't stay in LoTRO was that I was already playing EQ2 and LoTRO didn't really offer anything new in terms of gaming experience that I wasn't already getting from EQ2.  If the two had some out at the same time, I would have chosen LoTRO easily.  But now, there was simply no point in switching.

EQ2.  I have two lvl 80s in EQ2 and a whole bunch of other mid-level characters.  I've killed nearly every mob in the game.  EQ2 is great for group combat mechanics and raids.  It's great in that it doesn't require a huge time commitment.  My guild raids twice a week and we still clear pretty much all of the game's content.  It's great to be able to experience all of a game's content without having to sacrifice your life to it.  The encounters are fun and rewarding and there is a level of skill that a good player can bring to them.   Of the three games, EQ2 has the absolutely worst lore and rp.  The game wasn't designed around RP in any way the lore is just vomited up at random for no reason but to facilitate whatever this month's game direction is.  It's awful.    FYI, both SK and Brigand are strong classes, but there is a revamp coming in the new expansion that may change that.  If you're going to play a Shadowknight, be prepared to work for a lot of gear -  a tank can't really squeak by in trash, a brigand is a useful class though and unless you're completely terrible, you can get by with whatever.  That being said, as mentioned, gear is quite easy to obtain in EQ2 and even if you never raid, you are easily able to obtain very decent gear.   I've not played on an EQ2 PvP server, but by all accounts, EQ2 pvp sucks.  Ratongas do rock :)   (FYI, EQ2 has a new expansion pack coming out in mid february, buying it will include all previous expansions).

Based on what you're asking for, i'd recommend LoTRO first, AoC (pve server) second and EQ2 third.  If you said that awesome PvE was your #1 concern, it would probably be reversed.  The awesome PvE in EQ2 is what keeps me playing it for what is now my 6th year, the crappy lore and lack of immersion are what keep me looking for a new game. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by arieste
    Also, HoX = greatest class ever.

I would have to agree with you on that. Probably the most fun I've had with a class. That and VG's druid are my top 2 picks.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Based on what you're asking for, i'd recommend LoTRO first, AoC (pve server) second and EQ2 third.  If you said that awesome PvE was your #1 concern, it would probably be reversed.  The awesome PvE in EQ2 is what keeps me playing it for what is now my 6th year, the crappy lore and lack of immersion are what keep me looking for a new game. 

I agree with most of your assessment except this. I have high level characters in both EQ2 and LotRO, and while I really enjoy EQ2 (especially their housing system and race diversity), the pve content in LotRO is far, FAR better. There's really no comparison. I'm not saying the pve in EQ2 isn't fun - it is. But LotRO is really in a league of its own in that area.

<3

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Nizur

I would have to agree with you on that. Probably the most fun I've had with a class. That and VG's druid are my top 2 picks.

Yeah, I really have enjoyed playing a HoX as well. The class is simply a blast.

To the OP, I think all three games are fun. I like to both PvE and PvP so my favorite of the three is AoC. In AoC, I actually play on a PvE server so I can relax (PvE) when I want to and PvP when I want to as well. Good luck and have fun in what ever you choose.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

Been looking for an MMORPG to saite my RP and RPG lust for a good time now, got it down to these three.
    I like AoC for its design (I'll admit it, I like the skimpy armor, but also the scenery), for it's interesting combat (sure, it not much different from normal MMO combat, but it still is pretty fun) and I think the player city system is interesting.
    I like EQ2 for its lore, how it's so huge, the ratonga (most awsome race ever!), and the housing system.
    I like LotRO beacuse it's one of my favorite book series, the new skirmish system is decently fun, and the various things you can do.
    Though I sadly know little of the dungeons, raids, and pvp of any of them. I know they all have active RP and PvE communities. I mainly want to just RP, some light PvP, and medium-heavy PvE.
    In AoC I'll be playing either a Aquilion Conquorer, or Barbarian.
    In LotRO I'll be a Human Champion.
    In EQ2 I'll either be a Ratonga Shadow Knight or Brigand.

mm until lotro announced dx11 going online in their game in the first quater ,i would have said any .dx11 changed my oppinion new content dx11 make for a nice experience.but my oppinion count only if you can make use of dx11 if you cant then any is as good as the other .try to get info about the smootness of the game .now the biggest issue arent the graphic!

the issue is :

IS IT PLAYABLE AT MAX SETTING?does it require 69 server to run at max setting?

yes this issue is a big deal if you come out of wow get ready for a shock!not many game run as smooth as wow

for comparable or even worst res or texture.yep its that scary!some company still use old ways blizzard stopped using 4 years ago .so my advice be very torough .

i dont normally point to microsoft.

but the radar of ms today is aimed directly at mmo

various techno like dx11,microsoft donnybrook,w7  etc smooth out lot of beef we had against ms for various reason.

only thing left is to see them in our favorite game

see you in 3 or 4 years lol.

Originally posted by Nizur

I tell ya, if pulling out your enemy's beating heart and biting into it while instantly killing them doesn't do it for ya, then there are very few things left for games to try :)

Out of countless videogames - mmo and other - this has to be one of my ultimate "win" moments.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

I'm always hearing about how stupidly amazing LOTRO pve is, but that is all I really hear about it, that it's great. Why is it great? What makes it better than AoC or EQ2? 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

LotRO

EQ2

AoC

In that order.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

LotRO

EQ2

AoC

In that order.

How amazingly informative.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by genesis885

For yours and the OP's sake, I hope you're hearing loud and clear that Tortage in AoC is NOT a good representation of the rest of the game.  It's better than it was at launch, but it still doesn't quite have enough content for one toon.  Perhaps if you were lucky enough to get the unlimited double XP pots from November...

If you go that route, you might consider a HoX, too.  They're alot of fun.

I quit AoC and now play LotRO.  Champion is a good class to play... the easiest of any class I've played, at least up to my Champs current 35th level.  Haven't bothered with MPvP, so I can't comment.  But LotRO is a much MUCH bigger game with alot more to do.  And the combat gets a great deal more complex and interesting as you level.

EQ2, I can't comment.  I quit after about 2 hours of gameplay.

• KrazyKrautKrazyKraut Member Posts: 20

AoC or FFXI^^ 

Played FFXI, AoConan, Silkroad Online, Ether Saga Online. Waiting for FFXIV!
    Recruiting members for upcoming FFXIV Guild Crimson Night!www.crimson-night.net

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

Having played all three, I would recommend EQ2.

EQ2 is the oldest, yet the graphics are still good (better than LOTR, especially shadows and lighting). It has a lot more content than either of the other games, especially AoC.

LOTR is a bit of a grind, no real PVP, a little too boring for my taste

AOC has the absolute worst community, mostly children are playing, expect to be ganked over and over while being called names by very childish individuals. If you want to Role Play, definately stay away from AoC, they have entire guilds on the RP servers dedicated to griefing RP players. Several main features of the game are still broken regardless of all the changes being touted on the AoC forums.

If you liked the LOTR books play LOTRO

If you want a well established game with tons of content decent graphics and a good community play EQ2

If you like being ganked and griefed by children who will say bad things about your momma play AoC

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

EQ2 gets my vote of those three.

Joined - July 2004

Wow, I'm surprised at how well that AoC is holding up, was intending on giving it abit of a handicap since it has so much negative thoughts behind it, don't guess I don't need to any more :P 

• godseek3rgodseek3r Member Posts: 76

The only thing I enjoyed about EQ2 was the crafting system.

LotRo is a terrible game, in my opinion.

AoC was the only one that pleased me, but you need to be able to handle being ganked to play it.

Playing - Champions Online
    Unsure Of - Darkfall, Star Trek Online
    Waiting For - Star Wars: The Old Republic, All Points Bulletin
    Played - Age Of Conan, Everquest II, Mabinogi, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, World Of Warcraft

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

AoC is an empty, vapid experience. I would not recommend it.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I"ve tried LoTRO over the years and can't help but find it a very boring and bland experience.  I only got to level 37 or so, but for those 37 levels, I never once entered an original looking area of any sort.  It was filled with not much of anything sans generic forests and towns which all looked exactly the same.  Probably the best part about LoTRO, in my experience, was Rivendell.  Seriously, that place is amazing the first time you go there, and it's pretty nice to look at every additional time you visit.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I agree lotro is devoid of life, and eq2 is heads and shoulders above the others in complexity and fun factor.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I own all three and currently active in EQ2 and LOTRO.

For beauty in a game, I would say all three have their pros and cons.

I left out community. I think all three have a good community so I won’t list them.

Age of Conan, you are either solo or you got to have a full group. There is nothing that can be done in a small group. Crafting is ok, combat is good, adventure/exploring is decent, the story lacks, PvP good. Population is low.

EQ2, you can go solo, or in a small group, but if you want to get the best stuff. You need a good full group or a raid. Crafting is good, combat is decent, adventuring/exploring is good, good story, PvP lacking. Population is medium.

LOTRO, very solo friendly, can do more than all games in the small group area. You can raid or do most of the stuff in a group. Crafting is my favorite because it is very easy. Combat is good, not as good as the other two, but the game gives you so many things to use, it makes the game better. Adventure/exploring is decent, a lot of the areas look the same, but they are not. Very good story that is very detailed with hardly any PvP. Has the best population between the three.

It is a hard choice between all three. I suggest downloading the free trials. The only thing you need to worry about is that AOC is awesome at the beginning. But it drags once you leave Tortage. I have played all three in December, but if were to chose I would go with EQ2.

I'm surprised at how strongly some people feel about one of these versus the others.  Especially given that the three games offer nearly identical playthrough experiences, especially on the PvE side.  

Give me EQ2 content quantity and itemization with AoC combat,classes and graphics and LoTRO's storyline and immersion and we've got a winner :)   

I still don't know quite what the complaint was about content in AoC, except for a lack of quests in a certain range (i think 50-60), the game had tons to do and all of it quite interesting.  And that was just on launch.  The amount of raids was all about the same in AoC as it was on launch in EQ2.  Plus there was a whole separate endgame devoted to PvP (which i'm not into, but hey, it's there).  I don't know how much endgame content LoTRO had on launch, but I don't remember hearing anything amazing about it. 

Anyway, don't think too hard.  The three game are very similar.  If you have any interest in PvP, AoC is the clear choice.  Between the other two it's a matter of what you value more: great encounters and itemization (EQ2)  or great storyline and immersion (LoTRO).  Don't get me wrong, both games have plenty of PvE, items and quests and stories, but one does story better while the other does mechanics better (imo).  

Graphics are best on AoC as it has both amazing technical quality as well as great art design.  Between the other two, EQ2 has much better graphics technically (smooth animations, etc.) but LoTRO has a lot better art design, so it pulls you in more.  Plus EQ2 has been doing everything in its power to make things more cartoony in order to emulate that other game and it makes for some really awful looking stuff.

- Raph Koster

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Graphics are best on AoC as it has both amazing technical quality as well as great art design.  Between the other two, EQ2 has much better graphics technically (smooth animations, etc.) but LoTRO has a lot better art design, so it pulls you in more.  Plus EQ2 has been doing everything in its power to make things more cartoony in order to emulate that other game and it makes for some really awful looking stuff.

I'm not sure I'd agree with what I've marked in red, but that's really let up to oppinion.  As I said, I found that LoTRO didn't have many areas that  really stood apart from all the others.  While this does add a touch of realism and is appealing to some, it wasn't as visually stimulating as the LoTRO movies were.  I feel like the art design of LoTRO was a lost opportunity.

I have noticed that many of the newer zones don't quite have the realistic touch that many of the original zones have, but I'm not sure if I'd attribute that towards EQ2 shifting its focus to a more cartoony style or a lack of production values as the EQ2 staff is nowhere near as large as it was in 2004, and there's a pretty big drop in production values all through the newer content in everything from graphical appearance, to scale of areas, to a lack of fully voiced NPCs which were in no short supply in the original game.  There's a lot areas in EQ2 which I wouldn't say look "awful," but they're certainly a bit bland.  I find most of the newer areas to lack imagination in a lot of places, namely many of the bland Kunark forest areas, though there's some impressive stuff there as well.  All in all, I'd advise the OP to take a look at screenshots of both games to find out which art style suits him best, as listening to us spout off oppinions isn't really helping in any way.