Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CitiesXL: Photography Contest Announced!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Any aspiring photographers out there interested in winning a new Alienware M15x gaming laptop? If you're nodding yes right now, you'll be interested to know that Monte Cristo, the folks behind Cities XL, are hosting a photography contest offering a chance to win some awesome high tech gear including the aforementioned laptop, an NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics card, or a Kodak digital video camera.

Submissions will be accepted until Jan. 17, 2010.

Go here for official contest rules and more information.

Comments

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Well, they need to do something to attract players.  One economic site I checked out has them reporting losses for three straight years (some in the millions), and, even worse, projects a net LOSS for them this year (ending 3/31/10) of around 4 million dollars US (2.819k euro).

The estimate could be off, of course, but considering the previous three years were losses, any negative result will not be good.  And it looks like they blew through that 4 million euro investment they got way back when pretty quickly.

Also notices there were some filings/business papers done over the last few weeks.  Wonder what that could be about?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Maybe they should consider a new edition of the game that's more supportive of the single-player city building thing, that doesn't come off as sounding like you only get half the game if you don't get suckered into the MMO line they're trying to sell.

I think it's a good city building game, but I don't feel like being locked out of (essentially single-player) content for not paying a subscription fee. If they wanted to make a Pay-to-Play MMO out of it, they'd have to be a lot more ambitious about what players can do to interact with eachother's cities, not to mention building tools that help players set their cities apart from eachother.

..or, just go F2P, which could sell them more boxes/downloads. Then they could do a cash shop thing that might be more successful than trying to sell subscriptions.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.