Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 A Year in Review

Comments

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

SWTOR will poo all over STO anyway.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by geldonyetich
    You seem awfully certain.  Should we presume, then, that you have a crystal ball of perfect functionality?

Oz is right. STO will be an abomination to Trek fans.

It bears virtually no similarity besides the graphics and sound effects.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

You seem awfully certain.  Should we presume, then, that you have a crystal ball of perfect functionality?

Oz is right. STO will be an abomination to Trek fans.

It bears virtually no similarity besides the graphics and sound effects.

Forget STO and come to SWTOR. We have the Darkside AND cookies.

Originally posted by AkumaDaimyo

Forget STO and come to SWTOR. We have the Darkside AND cookies.

Will it have space combat, though?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ack! "The Windows release is "delayed", and difficulties with integrating an MMO into the Playstation Network cause woes that last into the remainder of the year, putting a damper on worldwide sales." Don't jinx it!

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• VerkainVerkain Member Posts: 24

Great read as always Scott. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

These articles have been the best on this site I have seen, it is very difficult to pull of something new that is still relevent, fun read.

• QualeQuale Member Posts: 105

Aw, I wanted to know how Global Agenda was doing.

• odinsassassiodinsassassi Member Posts: 48

I am a huge  Star Trek Fan and i am looking forward to this game alot. SO stop generalising people just because you don't like it.

• Ulfric_DrakaUlfric_Draka Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Sortis

That was actually fairly entertaining :P do a follow up at the end of next year to see how close you got it, my bet is atleast 50% of it will be true. :)

There's a good chance of that - Scott usually ends each year with a "how did my predictions work out" on his own blog. Expect to see the follow-up, either here or there, in 12 months time... unless the whole Internet exploding thing prevents it :)

Originally posted by odinsassassi

I am a huge  Star Trek Fan and i am looking forward to this game alot. SO stop generalising people just because you don't like it.

Then stop generalizing just because you do like it.

It works both ways.

This is a gaming forum. Speculation is a big part of that.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

It works both ways.

Nah, doesn't work, Doubter. It's you who did the generalizing on this one, not he. Come on, now, put some effort into it, you don't wanna start the new year with lazy cynicism! :)

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Nikopol

It works both ways.

Nah, doesn't work, Doubter. It's you who did the generalizing on this one, not he. Come on, now, put some effort into it, you don't wanna start the new year with lazy cynicism! :)

Fortunately the opinions posted on these forums don't have much to do with the response of the marketplace, so relax already.

I wonder what the posts in this forum would look like in eary 1999....course wouldn't have happened, since there UO was the only "mmo" online and EQ was entering beta, but I can just see the venom towards the idea that someone would charge A MONTHLY FEE for an online game...!!

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Im suprised that Global Agenda wasnt mentioned.  I think it might follow an eve like subscription curve, start out low and rise slowly.  There shouldnt be population problems since there is a no sub option, and the devs do seem to communicate well with the community. 

STO, i dont see doing as well as 500,000 ,it will last longer, and take longer to shrink than WAR, mostly do to the IP and novelty of a sci-fi space mmo that isnt eve. 

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I think it is possible for Star Trek to do well for 3 months like all the other MMO's in the last couple of years.  Gamers are craving something different and new.  STO will sell a lot of copies but I think it will follow the WAR model and crash and burn within a few months.

Other than Final Fantasy which will be a big hit world wide, the rest of 2010 will look like 2008-09 lots of hyped games that fall flat and do not sustain subs beyond 3 months.

APB has a small chance because it is something different although it is possible that the pricing scheme they are going to use may undermine it.  P2P is something risky in the US for a MMO.

I think Blizzard is starting to lose its god status with what they are doing with Starcraft, the changes to battlenet, the complete dumbing down of WoW to the point it is is almost like they are going for the hello kitty market. They have millions of fans but they are all building a very large hate following as well with what they have done and what they are going to do.   Cataclysm will not do as well as WolK.  

• opusaugopusaug Member Posts: 22

The funny thing about time-traveling in Trek is that some of the best episodes and movies usually come out of the overused mechanism - that's why they keep using it.  And it served Scott well here too - a good read.

Now if we could only get some of these forum posters to take a trip through the atavacron....

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I have seen the future and it is bleak...and the world plunges into the Dark Ages Parte Deux.     :(

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Good and interesting read.  I still think a relatively unknown title which was not mentioned will come out on top next year, but it's merely a personal opinion. 

I have little faith in hyped games due to the 2009 disasters I might add.  So my outlook on Star Trek, Star Wars, and others is currently negative.  Start out negative is my new perspective instead of positive and overhyped.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by dannydeuce

Good and interesting read.  I still think a relatively unknown title which was not mentioned will come out on top next year, but it's merely a personal opinion. 
    I have little faith in hyped games due to the 2009 disasters I might add.  So my outlook on Star Trek, Star Wars, and others is currently negative.  Start out negative is my new perspective instead of positive and overhyped.

Yes I agree start out negative, and hope that they prove me wrong.  Thats where I am at with STO,  not sure about tor.

• SamatmanSamatman Member UncommonPosts: 123

If Linden sells Second Life to SOE, I'll be emailing you directly for stock tips and investment advice. 

Great article!

• sylverCodesylverCode Member Posts: 25

What? No Guild Wars 2 beta?

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

Nice article.. Do hope things will become better in 2010 in terms of gaming. to many to watch out for. ^^

• laephislaephis Member Posts: 34
    World of Darkness Online will, if nothing else, give Peter Murphy some work for the soundtrack.

Outstanding! 

• jemsmckjemsmck Member Posts: 46

Final Fantasy comes to consoles, yet again
    We'll definitely be seeing a Square-Enix MMORPG soon, although not necessarily Final Fantasy.

SE has already announced FFX!V as their next MMO.

I have saved a copy of this article and I am going to laugh at the end of next year when I read it again and see how it fails to compare with what will actually happen.  The only piece of this article I somewhat agree with is the Cataclysm release and that is because no matter how many high-end raids are created and implemented, it will never be enough in the eyes of those who actually do the high-end raids.  Yet they will keep playing anyways, as they always do.  "Analysts" (I use the term loosely) have been asking the question, "Has the MMO market reached it's peak?" for the last two years now.  The answer is simply no.  As long is there is internet and gaming, there will always be a strong market for online gaming.

• etikilametikilam Member Posts: 41

The most amazing thing about this post is that some one will eventually quote it as cold hard fact.