Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play WoW?

CrittRocketsCrittRockets Member UncommonPosts: 159

I played WoW for about 6 months as soon as it was released. After a while it lost its luster and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't enjoy the game anymore. I think it was because it was easy for me to see what I was actually doing (a nonstop loop of paying $15 a month to kill computer monsters to make my character strong to fight more computer monsters). There's obviously been a ton of new content added since i left the game (by content I mean mostly more computer monsters to kill) and I was thinking of trying it out again.

What I want to know is what keeps you playing WoW? It's such a simple game when you boil it down, like i mentioned kill mobs to get gear to kill bigger mobs, but there's obviously something else there if so many people are playing it. Is it the sense of accomplishment you get from seeing an item with a purple text label? Exploring an imaginary world? Help me see the light that so many are being blinded by!

Comments

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

it was actually fun to kill gnomes,might be the sound what comes from them when they die.

I only did BGs and arenas ang got ~500,000 kills.

there was massive Tarren Mill,Barrens,and that some elf city cant remember the name battles too,quite fun also.not happening anymore afaik.

Generation P

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

That's the transparency of MMO's that should come to everyone eventually.

Usually the first is too mystical for most people to see it but really, MMO's are just an endless treadmill, no matter which MMO you pick since that's what 'good' MMO's do. They keep you aiming for new things. The same thing we're wishing for,new content, is the thing that keeps us on the treadmill.

Some obscure it better, or make it more about player randomness (PvP) but in the end most MMO's are the same. They have you aiming for things out of your reach, because once you have it all why would you keep playing? (not true for everyone but most)

Basically it's up to you if you don't mind that. Me, I specifically started playing this genre exactly because it doesn't end, so for me, as long as I'm aware of that, and as long as I don't get a feeling that I *need* to stay with, or ahead of the curve, but play the game at *my* pace, and the way *i* want it, I'm fine as long as I can do that.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Polish.  (The adjective, not the Eastern European nation).

Used to be, dev's touted that "Content was King."  But I think "polish" is king.  WOW is extremely polished, fluid, flows and runs very, very well.  Most other MMO's fall irritatingly short in this regard.

However, WOW falls irritatingly short in what made the great MMO's of yesteryear so good.

When a new MMO comes out that has both the "polish" of WOW and the "challenges" of early MMO's, it is sure to be a hit (at least for the more experienced and sophisticated gamers.)

Until then, I will play WOW like a person might watch afternoon soap operas; not really satisfying, but something to do for the ol' MMO fix.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by pencilrick 

Actually the nation is Poland and Polish is the language and adjective used to describe things from that nation.  You are actually refering to the verb or noun used for things that are made glossy.

Anyway, a while back I cam to a similar relization as the OP and left WoW to look for more meaningfull MMORPGs.  Since every other game otu there boils down to the same thing I went back to WoW with a new attitude.  My purpose in the game is no loner about just killing stuff and getting loot but more of a 'voyage of self-discovery'.  I set my own goals and try to reach them or determine whether they are worth reaching.    So grinding faction for a trinket is stupid but seeing if grinding the faction might be stupid or fun is worth pursuing.   Grinding instances is stupid but doing them to fins out how I function in a team environment and how other people act is enlightening. 

Well I could be self-deluding myself again, but as long as it is fun...

• TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234

Im having fun at the moment, thats why I play. 

DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Used to be, dev's touted that "Content was King."  But I think "polish" is king.  WOW is extremely polished, fluid, flows and runs very, very well.  Most other MMO's fall irritatingly short in this regard.
    However, WOW falls irritatingly short in what made the great MMO's of yesteryear so good.
    When a new MMO comes out that has both the "polish" of WOW and the "challenges" of early MMO's, it is sure to be a hit (at least for the more experienced and sophisticated gamers.)
    Until then, I will play WOW like a person might watch afternoon soap operas; not really satisfying, but something to do for the ol' MMO fix.

Can't agree more.. except I don't play WoW anymore, but this is the truth.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

I really like the vibrant and artistic world.Many people don't like how the graphics are in the game,but to me they're fantastic.If you look at some other games they look too real and I want to feel more fantasy.I mean if I want to watch a pretty bird fly by and land on a branch,I'll go outside,not watch it ingame.

This game also allows me to feel like I can get something accomplished,even if I don't have much time that day.I can use gathering skills,craft,run a 5 man,pvp,grind some rep,play the auction house,do some fishing,go out and just explore.There's just so many options.

And at the end of the day it's just fun to play and I never feel overburdened by a task I choose.

• CrittRocketsCrittRockets Member UncommonPosts: 159

Good point. But I think most games are polished, if not already they will eventually become polished. WoW has been out for 5+ years or whatever and I'm sure you know that when it came out it was quite terrible in terms of fluidity and running well etc.. Every game gets better as it goes along (usually) take Age of Conan for example. The market is so bad right now that new MMO's are coming out all the time, but never last long enough to become as fluid and well running as they should.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Fail troll is fail.

0/10

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Originally posted by CrittRockets

Good point. But I think most games are polished, if not already they will eventually become polished. WoW has been out for 5+ years or whatever and I'm sure you know that when it came out it was quite terrible in terms of fluidity and running well etc.. Every game gets better as it goes along (usually) take Age of Conan for example. The market is so bad right now that new MMO's are coming out all the time, but never last long enough to become as fluid and well running as they should.

I'm sorry but no. Maybe for the US release but no more than *3* months later (EU release) this game ran far smoother than any MMO I played up till that point and running into bugs was absolutely rare. (ignoring the obvious things related to server strain like mail lag).

WoW's software state, the game itself was amazingly polished compared to what MMO's released to at the time and even compared to what they are still releasing as most of the time.

• Dariel3012Dariel3012 Member Posts: 10

Picked WoW up a month and a half ago...just something to play till SWTOR really.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

I played WoW for about 6 months as soon as it was released. After a while it lost its luster and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't enjoy the game anymore. I think it was because it was easy for me to see what I was actually doing (a nonstop loop of paying $15 a month to kill computer monsters to make my character strong to fight more computer monsters). There's obviously been a ton of new content added since i left the game (by content I mean mostly more computer monsters to kill) and I was thinking of trying it out again.
    What I want to know is what keeps you playing WoW? It's such a simple game when you boil it down, like i mentioned kill mobs to get gear to kill bigger mobs, but there's obviously something else there if so many people are playing it. Is it the sense of accomplishment you get from seeing an item with a purple text label? Exploring an imaginary world? Help me see the light that so many are being blinded by!

If you harbour the illusion that WoW is a shallow game of just wearing any fancy epic purple texted gear and go randomly punch your keys, you can stop writing there.

Go read up the theorycraft thread.  Be ready to read for a full month.  That is the amount of literature written about gameplay and character building, which is way more than wearing anything that comes.

Try to boil down gear selection to a simple sentence please.  Is it just anything you can wear?

You cannot be wrong.

A game that is as polished (not poland) as WoW is as good as WoW in that aspect.  Add challenge of early MMOs, which I presume means something lacking in WoW, of course makes it no worse than WoW.  Assuming the 2 mix.  Adding water to fire does not mean prettier fire.

The key is, show us how to achievement the polishness (not polandness) of WoW, adding what challenge to it, and how to add it.  Do you add it like 1+1=2?

Until then you just said something totally meaningless.  Let me tell you this, if there is a game on earth that copies all the best features of every game ever made and add in all the new features not yet invented, it will be a good game.  Trust me on that.

BUT, do not ask me where to find it.  It does not yet exist.

Not true, WoW was launched with very smooth gameplay.  It was oversubscribed and the many subscribers jam the servers.

Once you log in, most of the features work well.

EQ2, launched about the same time, has a lot of issues from lags (even with a dead empty city) to graphics issues (not optimisable to game cards) to ...

Not every game gets better, because those that does not get better folds up.

Many failed products means the market is bad?  Not really, they failed because we already have a few products that are polished.  Anything less won't survive.  Need to be as good to survive.  That is quality, a yardstick for reasonable delivery.

Not that WoW is good or bad.  That is another issue, purely personal.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by lisubab

You cannot be wrong.

A game that is as polished (not poland) as WoW is as good as WoW in that aspect.  Add challenge of early MMOs, which I presume means something lacking in WoW, of course makes it no worse than WoW.  Assuming the 2 mix.  Adding water to fire does not mean prettier fire.

The key is, show us how to achievement the polishness (not polandness) of WoW, adding what challenge to it, and how to add it.  Do you add it like 1+1=2?

Until then you just said something totally meaningless.  Let me tell you this, if there is a game on earth that copies all the best features of every game ever made and add in all the new features not yet invented, it will be a good game.  Trust me on that.

BUT, do not ask me where to find it.  It does not yet exist.

The problem is that people want all of that stuff, including polish, at RELEASE. Which is a ridiculous expectation. And if it isn't there then people get all pissy and burn the game down with negative PR.

If someone REALLY wanted to make "the" game then they would come up with a list of core concepts and then completely polish those core concepts along with organic, intuitive combat that provides a decent level of challenge. In those core concepts should be some measure of guild vs guild politics which means more impacting pvp. Separate from core concepts, but even more important is having good class design. It's not about having a lot of classes, but rather about having a number of well-rounded, well-defined classes - no two classes should feel alike.

Crafting is also critical and just as important as class design and both graphic and art design. If WoW has proven anything it's that more hardcore gamers that would normally be put off by cartoony graphics can ignore an engine that has such over-bloomed, under-textured graphics if your artwork is spectacular. however, given how many mmo's are trying to rip-off the WoW game engine it would be best to go with a more 'realistic' engine. It's far from impossible to find an engine that uses character models that look like people....I don't understand why more big-name mmo's don't use them. SW: TOR is an example of what NOT to do in the next generation of MMO's. People are tired of WoW-lie graphics, we've been seeing them for years now, we want something that doesn't look like a comic book.

PS - Forgot: After core concepts are established you should have a plan to implement a more complete and involved set of features of the long term. "The" game that ends all games will have: For fantasy - Land, sea and siege combat that is complete with minimal instancing. For Sci- Fi - land, space and both inter-ship and inter-planetary combat involving both all forms of combat from the ground up. Having "the" sci-fi game would require a much larger effort and a much longer-term plan, but it would be a game to crush all other games. Creating a _complete_ sci-fi experience would require a VERY, VERY long time. Eve is already going down one of the routes I had considered for achieving this, but has a very long way to go.

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan 

If WoW has proven anything it's that more hardcore gamers that would normally be put off by cartoony graphics can ignore an engine that has such over-bloomed, under-textured graphics if your artwork is spectacular. however, given how many mmo's are trying to rip-off the WoW game engine it would be best to go with a more 'realistic' engine. It's far from impossible to find an engine that uses character models that look like people....I don't understand why more big-name mmo's don't use them. SW: TOR is an example of what NOT to do in the next generation of MMO's. People are tired of WoW-lie graphics, we've been seeing them for years now, we want something that doesn't look like a comic book.

I personally have *zero* interest in a game that looks 'realistic', What does having seen graphics I *like* for x years already change about that? You make it sound like one would get tired of the same graphics after a while yet to me that concept is silly. If I find beauty in something I'm likely to keep seeing it that way for most of my life, I don't 'grow tired' of aesthetics.

'Realistic' games have never, and probably will never appeal to me. I prefer my games to be fantasy, not realistic.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

What I want to know is what keeps you playing WoW? It's such a simple game when you boil it down, like i mentioned kill mobs to get gear to kill bigger mobs, but there's obviously something else there if so many people are playing it. Help me see the light that so many are being blinded by!

All games are simple when you boil them down, so the reason people continue to play WoW is not because of some mystery ingredient it has that other games lack, rather it's the sum of it's parts.

Thousands upon thousands of players have pointed out many many flaws in the game for them in these forums, but what they all fail to realize is that for all it's flaws, there's just as many things that WoW got right for the majority of players. 

No one judges a game based on a few features here or there that they either like or dislike, they judge a game as the sum of it's parts.  All of it's parts.  You can have 100 flawed parts as long as you have 1 million unflawed parts.  This is why WoW succeeds where others have failed, because most people find more things that they like about the game then they find negatives about the game.  Moreso than any other MMO they have played.

And don't believe people when they try to tell you that WoW players don't know any better.  Every single WoW player who has played for more than 6 months has looked for something better, they just haven't found it.  As soon as someone puts out a better game pound for pound than WoW, people will flock to it in droves just like they have with WoW.

No, I'm not saying that WoW is the best MMO on the planet, I'm saying that it's the MMO that the most people enjoy playing the most for whatever reason.  Hell it might not even have anything to do with the game itself, the reason may be as simple as more friends are playing WoW than anything else.  Is there anything wrong with that?  No.  Whatever the reason, it's the game that is the most popular and being the most popular is enough for some people.

No one is blinded by Blizzard.  They all have their eyes wide open, but you can't dictate what it is that people see with their eyes.  Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there, it just means that others see something different than you.  Sorry, but I can't give you my eyes to see with, you'll just have to wait patiently for the game that appeals to you in the same way that WoW appeals to many today.  It will happen someday and then you'll be left trying to explain to someone else what you see in a game.