Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Preview, Part Two

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In part two of a three part preview of Star Trek Online, Dana Massey discusses key gameplay elements including the game's Skill System, Character Progression and Bridge Officers.

In part one of my three part hands-on preview I covered missions, combat and a host of core features in Star Trek Online. However, I also made one mistake, and I'd like to get that corrected up front. It turns out that contrary to my complaints there is in fact auto-attack in Star Trek Online, which should definitely reduce the strain on people's digits and make the game much easier to control. To activate auto-fire of key skills, such as the primary weapon attack on away missions or phasers in space, one simply holds control and clicks the button. So, I offer mea culpa to Cryptic and all those who read part one.

With that out of the way, let's dive into part two of this preview. Today, I'll cover the skill system, character progression, ship customization and bridge officers, grouping/social systems, PvP and items.

Read Preview, Part Two.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I hate reading this, for the simple fact that you are making me want to play a Star Trek game. In all Seriousness this is a great insight into STO. Thanks again

• LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

So I do not mind the level progression to be somewhat slow. I am sure it is slow for so many because it is still so new and no tested and tested again methods of leveling up the fastest.

Also it seemed to have peaked me interest that PvP is currently the best way to progress through levels. Not sure if this is the best idea since this could be exploited with shared kills all day long.. among other things, but having yet to play the game that could not be the case... still PvP should be a strong point in STO.

Possibly the PvP "Neutral Zone" has bonus EXP in that area. Which would be great more so than leveling by playing matches every 15 minutes on a 5v5 level arena BS or whatever :-p (Ya I hate Arenas being too important)

I heard we new crew members as we progress as well. Then you can merge them so that could help with the male/female ratio. I Just hope I dont end up with the USS Sausage Fest or some sort with all males.

During regular gameplay in space, how many other player characters have you seen on your screen at one time? Game sounds great except I worry that the MMO aspect is not there.

Also, the items you are finding. How do they look? Are they all set stats, or do we have prefix/subfix type names with different qualities(i.e. random loot).

- ya I'm here

• sawyerwolfsawyerwolf Member Posts: 2

I think I can handle the slower progression as I work and won't have alot of time to play.  Cryptic will be getting alot of monies from me so I can see max level.  The more I read the more I want to play STO.  Can't wait to get into open beta.

• TonySabreTonySabre Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by sawyerwolf

I think I can handle the slower progression as I work and won't have alot of time to play.  Cryptic will be getting alot of monies from me so I can see max level.  The more I read the more I want to play STO.  Can't wait to get into open beta.

Me too.  At this point I'm just ready to try it out myself.

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

I'm actually thrilled that progression is not fast paced. One thing I missed from the days of yore (ala EQ1) is that going up took time, it took effort, and there wasn't this insane rush to level just to get to where the 'fun' is ala WoW (Raiding/pvp). This slower progression to me is a GREAT thing, it means I'll be enjoying the game a long time, each alt means something more than it does on other grind fest games.

I like this a lot. So far I am really glad I've picked up a pre-order of the collectors edition :) Can't wait for open beta so I can play through the various types of characters to get a feel for each to make a final decision on what my federation 'main' will be, even if I primarily am going to play Klingon.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by TonySabre

Originally posted by sawyerwolf

Me too.  At this point I'm just ready to try it out myself.

Yeah, it'll be nice to cool things down and get away from the rush to get to level 80/end game. I wonder tho what happens when everyone is a lvl 10 Admiral? Can one get a demotion  to captain like Kirk kept doing in the movies?

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

The rank of 'Admiral' is going to change after launch as they work out a new rank system for it so it makes more sense for high ranking people to be out there and not three hundred admirals making up a fleet. That's the rumor anyways.

Knowing Cryptic I expect there will be a LOT of content and suchlike added after launch. They're pretty good at keeping the game organically evolving, even if sometimes Emmert doesn't really understand what he should be doing, the content itself is usually good.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Very nice reads on these articles.. :)  I was actually leaning toward not playing when I saw there would be no PC ship crews but I may give it a shot after all.. Its hard for a semi hard core Trek fan not to and it seems that the game should be entertaining.. :)  As for the slow leveling.. I am compleatly OK with that.. I am so sick of hearing "End Game Content" I could puke. I want a game with some longevity and some investment now.. Hopefully this will attract more like minded people on that front.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

INCOMING POSITIVE COMMENTS:

I like the gradual point rewards, rather than a big boost at ranking up. It ecourages playing 'just a little longer' to get that mini-ding. If someone wants a big rank up reward, they can just save their skill points until ranking up (assuming skill points can be saved and don't have to be spent immediately). I know, that in WoW, I would often delay making talent point allocations while in the field, as I preferred to to give the matter reasonable consideration. Often times, I would have 2 or 3 talent points to spend when I next decided to upgrade my character.

As for special abilities - well this is a sci-fi game. I wouldn't really want to see a lot of 'magic spells' given to crew members.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by plaxidia

Very nice reads on these articles.. :)  I was actually leaning toward not playing when I saw there would be no PC ship crews but I may give it a shot after all.. Its hard for a semi hard core Trek fan not to and it seems that the game should be entertaining.. :)
    I was talking with a WoW buddy recently who said he was considering trying it out.
    It should be no secret to any of the regulars here that I have a lot of misgivings about this game, but I am considering trying it.
      As for the slow leveling.. I am compleatly OK with that.. I am so sick of hearing "End Game Content" I could puke. I want a game with some longevity and some investment now.. Hopefully this will attract more like minded people on that front.

As long as there is a good variety in gameplay options at lower levels, I am fine with a slower leveling pace.

I hope there is some system in place to allow players of varying ranks to play together. A 'slow' leveling system tends to divide hardcore and casual players more than usual. This is one of the more serious issues with MMORPGs in general - being split from friends who level at different rates.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

rather nice read.  I like how they are doing the lvls.  With you getting points as you go along  instead of havign to wait to lvl  it should give a constant lvl of accomplishment instead of havign to wait for a ding to see an improvement in your character.  Also the fact you do not have to see trainers is nice.  Rather thought it was odd that after swinging a sword hundreds of times till you lvl  then havign to see a trainer who would say yes you have swung this sword hundreds of times so now you know how to swing it.  :)  Remembering the days in EQ when it came out and people were more interested in enjoying the game as they went instead of wanting to rush to max lvl to raid I am hoping this game brings this back

Lookign froward to hearing about pvp and klingons

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Lanthir

This is one thing I cannot help much with. Part three has some limited PvP impressions, but my article (which was supposed to be one part originally) was already too long and that would have required an article onto itself... So we made it one. Jon will be following up with a more complete PvP and Klingon preview shortly after part three. Dec 31 is my last day (nothing bad, just a new opportunity... a post on that should appear this week), or I'd have made this a four parter.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Thanks for the information.  It was a good read and gave me a bit more insight as to how the game functions.  I just have one comment relating to your following quote:

"The experience curve for players is one of the hardest things for a company to tune and likely one of the major focuses of Star Trek Online's Beta, so I hesitate to go into too much detail on it as I am sure plenty will change between today and February 2nd, 2010."

Why, why, why do developers wait until the last month to tweak stuff like this?  I don't pretend to know the ins and out of game design, but it seems like the MMOs coming out in the recent past years always wait until the last darn minute to work on this and other major gameplay factors.  I mean it's been in development for how long, and a month before release they decide "hey, maybe we should look at this experience thing"?  Didn't they learn anything from their Champions Online disaster?

To be honest, because of this an other things that i have read, alarm bells are already ringing in my mind because I see signs of another product released way to friggin early.

• OddjobXLOddjobXL Member Posts: 102

Dana, this is one article you did a fine job with.  In fact, I can imagine myself thinking the same things about bridge crew and have even suggested the idea of crew-based stories in one or two forums as well.    As I understand it, existing missions use your bridge crew as mouthpeices to advance the story so why not bring stories to the player based on who the character is.  As you suggested, using race or class but perhaps even individual skills.  Say there's a chance to get a mission based on Diplomacy but only if you have an NPC with Diplomacy skill.

Building out from that could really propel the game in interesting, personalized, directions.  But ones that could be used by many players who have characters with the same traits. However each collection of traits, leading to specialized adventures, would flesh out that character so much more in your imagination.

I thought it was very astute you pointed out that you didn't miss the overly detailed approach to NPCs as in Dragon Age.  Frankly, it would have been impractical in the first place.  And though I very much loved DA and the NPCs in it, I agree that they do kind of suck the oxygen out of the room.  There's little space to imagine them in any way other than they are.  STO's bridge officers sound like they do give a player that imaginative space he needs to take a little narrative ownership of the characters.

Always notice what you notice.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Thanks Dana, it's nice to get information from someone who is actually playing from an unbiased perspective. It fixes what little doubts i had about the game.

Originally posted by Dana

Originally posted by Lanthir

This is one thing I cannot help much with. Part three has some limited PvP impressions, but my article (which was supposed to be one part originally) was already too long and that would have required an article onto itself... So we made it one. Jon will be following up with a more complete PvP and Klingon preview shortly after part three. Dec 31 is my last day (nothing bad, just a new opportunity... a post on that should appear this week), or I'd have made this a four parter.

ah that is our lost.  Wish you well with your future

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

We will miss you Dana.

Sounds like needs a training room like CoH or Champs to test skills

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Centhan

Thanks for the information.  It was a good read and gave me a bit more insight as to how the game functions.  I just have one comment relating to your following quote:
    "The experience curve for players is one of the hardest things for a company to tune and likely one of the major focuses of Star Trek Online's Beta, so I hesitate to go into too much detail on it as I am sure plenty will change between today and February 2nd, 2010."
    Why, why, why do developers wait until the last month to tweak stuff like this?  I don't pretend to know the ins and out of game design, but it seems like the MMOs coming out in the recent past years always wait until the last darn minute to work on this and other major gameplay factors.  I mean it's been in development for how long, and a month before release they decide "hey, maybe we should look at this experience thing"?  Didn't they learn anything from their Champions Online disaster?
    To be honest, because of this an other things that i have read, alarm bells are already ringing in my mind because I see signs of another product released way to friggin early.

I totally agree with you and was thinking the exact same thing. I figured maybe there is something about this process I just don't understand, but when I see a couple of games released with good UI, descriptions of abilities, etc...I wonder why this needs to still be fixed in the last month. I am still on the fence about getting this either as a preorder to try beta or even at launch. I get a sense from a couple of previews that between this arcticle, another article I read, and the ground combat...that maybe it is being released a few months premature. I am still waiting to hear what makes this an awesome PVE MMO as oppossed to a single player PVE game for those that don't want to focus on PVP. Even when I feel like playing solo, I like seeing others around, doing emotes at them, and sometimes what they are doing helps me complete something. Knowing me, I will probably try the beta anyway lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• wootinwootin Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by Pantheos

I'm actually thrilled that progression is not fast paced. One thing I missed from the days of yore (ala EQ1) is that going up took time, it took effort, and there wasn't this insane rush to level just to get to where the 'fun' is ala WoW (Raiding/pvp). This slower progression to me is a GREAT thing, it means I'll be enjoying the game a long time, each alt means something more than it does on other grind fest games.

Indeed. Playing the game at level 1 should be fun enough to keep you playing. Instead, many MMOs have just given up on making their game fun and instead focused on getting you to chase an illusory carrot to keep you playing. 

Good to hear Cryptic has that part right. Now if they get rid of microtransactions or make a server for ppl who don't want them, I'll be a much happier camper.

• kahulbanekahulbane Member Posts: 73

Another fine read, I really like the personal opinions too, they are never over baring to me, or intrusive. You seem to hit things on the nose very well.

I love the Idea of slower progression of rank, but there will always be those looking to power level, just looking for end game, (which I personally hate end game crap)

Look forword to your next part!! =-]

Pain is the little thing that reminds us we are alive.
    Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions.

WWII-Online Stats this map:
    Brit Air
    French Air
    imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Good article.  It's definitely helping to keep my interest at a healthy level.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

With respect to the leveling up via PvE being slower or less efficient than the PvP, I'd have to hope in a way that they did not adjust the PvP portion down. Granted, I'd love for all things being equal rates but the Klingons are at a decided disadvantage when it comes to PvE content, especially the episodic content  that the Federation side has in abundance.

Now, if Cryptic, in my opinion and that of many others looking at this title, does the right thing and postpones the game a few months and busts their tails getting in Klingon Episodic content and then releasing the game they'd have a far more "well-rounded" game and making such xp adjustments would certainly be in line of fair.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

So you can make your ship look anyway you want, colored anyway you want or decalled up the wazoo. 

Then why not create a completely original game, with fully customizable ships and avatars that players can make look anyway they want, with gameplay unhindered by an existing IP?  Then you wouldn't have to put up with people- such as myself- who drop in periodically and point out the obvious  - THIS IS NOT STAR TREK.

Just seems simpler, with so much less noise.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by tman5

So you can make your ship look anyway you want, colored anyway you want or decalled up the wazoo. 

Then why not create a completely original game, with fully customizable ships and avatars that players can make look anyway they want, with gameplay unhindered by an existing IP?  Then you wouldn't have to put up with people- such as myself- who drop in periodically and point out the obvious  - THIS IS NOT STAR TREK.

I don't believe this statement is accurate. There are boundaries for sure. Even in the interviews the devs state that players will be able to look at a ship at a glance and tell what class it is. That says to me right there that you can't make it look anyway you want. If it were true than I'd make a Klingon Battlecruiser look like a Bird of Prey.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by tman5

Dana did not say you could paint it any clor you wanted  just that there are color varations which all look metal to use.  The "decales" are limited to what fits  ie Feds have Fed or Vulcan markings  as an example which from what i can tell from the article are still limited to original placement.  The ships can be modifed to make them somewhat unigue but still be recognised by class which fits well.  Look at today and navies aroudn the world.  An Italian DD might be made and built and classified as the same model the U.S, Navy has but it still might have some variations so it is not an exact copy.  The same goes for planes.  The Brits/germans/italians all design and build one type of fighter  but each has their own variation  on the basic design