Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 'Group Play vs Solo Play in an MMO' Thread

HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

We've seen an abundance of these threads crop up recently, and they're all discussing the same thing. Please use this thread instead of making a new one.

Thank you. 

yukikochan1

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Finally a new and original topic.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

i'll say what i've said before, I personally think WoW did it best. Theres group play and solo play, but you won't get nearly as good quality gear just by soloing. I would never play a game that forced me to group 24/7, on the other hand i'd never play an mmo that was just solo play. Of course i'm a casual player (i guess? 2 hours a day) sometimes I don't have an hour to wait to join  a group i'll probably leave 40 mins into it. 

Andemon
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

i'll say what i've said before, I personally think WoW did it best. Theres group play and solo play, but you won't get nearly as good quality gear just by soloing. I would never play a game that forced me to group 24/7, on the other hand i'd never play an mmo that was just solo play. Of course i'm a casual player (i guess? 2 hours a day) sometimes I don't have an hour to wait to join  a group i'll probably leave 40 mins into it. 

WoW did it in the worst possible way.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

WoW did it in the worst possible way.

i love when people make statements with no examples of why they think that way. 

AUNE2018
  • makerzyomakerzyo Member Posts: 40

Couldn't of said it better myself, WoW did the perfect combination and probably what made them the most popular p2p mmo. You can login play for 20 mins and feel like you accomplished something, you can log in for 4 hours run a 25 man instance and feel like you accomplished something etc etc...

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

There should be a balance. Excessive group play is as bad as excessive solo play. Group content should be designed in a manner that its easier to find teams, more then anything it should be fun and not boring or repetitive. When group content acts like a road block in character progression, thats the time  fun turns into frustration.

Look at LOTR for example. It has a lot of group content but in case you can't find groups you can skip it and just level to max lvl doing solo quests. Give player options/choices. Don't force them into group or solo player camps. Forced group or solo content never works.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Okay...I feel MMOs should not be "Group Only", and definitely not "Solo Only" games...

There should be SOME Solo quests, but definitely MORE Group quests...

The reason I say this is because MMOs are meant to be played socially.  Player interaction includes grouping...Thats why they are MMOs and not single player RPGs...

Now, I'm not bashing the soloist, but some recent MMOs are trying too much to cater to the solo player...I do not agree with this...

Like I said, have some solo quests, actually, a healthy supply of solo quests, but not so much as to pull people away from grouping...

Grouping should be the main focus of MMOs, and soloing should be next...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

For all these solo play lovers some dev needs to make a new type of game we can call it a MMOSPG... IE you log online the game can only be accessed online. Then make it where you run around with other player but cant actually talk to them or group with them or anything. Maybe a world chat channel and thats it. All the content would be soloable. Even the raids. That way the casual players could get everything they want and still be in the mix with other people.

i love when people make statements with no examples of why they think that way. 

Don'tcha. Repeating same thing million times gets olde, but I'll say it again once more.

When you focus on soloing for the most part of the game and then suddenly reverse it by focusing on grouping the other part of the game, you make both types of players unhappy. If you can solo all the way, don't chicken up at the end and take it all the way through.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I have two opinions on this.

The first is that the vocal minorities at either extreme of the "group - solo" spectrum need to stop believing that they have a right to dictate the playstyles of other people. I pay my subscription fee, so I make the decisions on how I choose to spend my time in-game.

I'm sure most people feel the same.

The second is that these same people need to accept that their preferences are niche, and as such will not be catered for in the majority of MMOs no matter how bitterly they complain about it on forums, or how vehemently they belittle the "mainstream" preferences and playstyles.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

The first is that the vocal minorities at either extreme of the "group - solo" spectrum need to stop believing that they have a right to dictate the playstyles of other people. I pay my subscription fee, so I make the decisions on how I choose to spend my time in-game.

So you have the right to dictate the playstyle?

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

He has the right to dictate his own playstyle. thats what he said. Feel free to disagree on that one.

Originally posted by Archemorous

He has the right to dictate his own playstyle. thats what he said. Feel free to disagree on that one.

And by doing that, he will dictate everyone else's playstyle as well. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

by soloing he infringes on other's right to group?

that is damn near the dumbest statement i've read on this board in a long time.

If i cannot play a game in a way which will be fun for me, then that defeats the purpose of playing a game.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

And by doing that, he will dictate everyone else's playstyle as well. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Care to explain instead of just dropping a cool one-liner?

Originally posted by xephonics

by soloing he infringes on other's right to group?
    that is damn near the dumbest statement i've read on this board in a long time.

If i cannot play a game in a way which will be fun for me, then that defeats the purpose of playing a game.

He's the one accusing "the extremes" of doing the same thing.

No, he is saying the extremes want to make it so everyone has to play by their style.  When it should really be everyone gets to play their toon/char/etc with thier own play style, and not try to tell others how to play.

Allow me to analyze your logic here, if I may.

You consider me to be the bad guy because I want to play the game my way.

In your mind, I should be willing to sacrifice my own enjoyment, just to make things better for a handful of vocal extremists who spend most of their time belittling my preferences on forums.

Do I look like bloody Gandhi to you?

No, he is saying the extremes want to make it so everyone has to play by their style.  When it should really be everyone gets to play their toon/char/etc with thier own play style, and not try to tell others how to play.

Great logic you got there, I agree. Then he tells everyone to play his playstyle instead. Kinda defeat the point of his post.

No one is telling anyone else to play by any style.  Each person gets to pick their own.  How you cannot understand simple statements is beyond me.

Maybe i'm being harsh and it is a language barrier, I dont know how fluent you are in English.

Allow me to analyze your logic here, if I may.
    You consider me to be the bad guy because I want to play the game my way.
    In your mind, I should be willing to sacrifice my own enjoyment, just to make things better for a handful of vocal extremists who spend most of their time belittling my preferences on forums.
    Do I look like bloody Gandhi to you?

No, I consider you to be a hypocrite.

In my mind, you're telling that we should sacrifice our own enjoyment, just to make things better for for some other group of people with different preferences.

No one is telling anyone else to play by any style.  Each person gets to pick their own.  How you cannot understand simple statements is beyond me.

But when game's don't support any other playstyle than his, only he gets to pick his own playstyle.

How is someone soloing impeding on anyone else's game play?  And how is a group impeding on soloers?

Why can't person A play how person A wants to play, and Person B can play how person B wants to play?

How is someone soloing impeding on anyone else's game play?  And how is a group impeding on soloers?
    Why can't person A play how person A wants to play, and Person B can play how person B wants to play?

Ask that from the developers, not me.If you design the game in a specific way, you step on one playstyle's shoes while catering to the other. I wish it wasn't like that, but what can I do.

No, I consider you to be a hypocrite.
    In my mind, you're telling that we should sacrifice our own enjoyment, just to make things better for for some other group of people with different preferences.

No .. I'm telling you to recognize what having niche preferences means.

It means that you don't get everything you want, because giving you what you want means that the majority of the playerbase don't get what they want.

Also, replace the highlight with "the vast majority of other players".

Edit for clarification: I enjoy both group and solo content.

An extremist demanding 100% soloable content trivializes the group playstyle.

An extremist demanding 100% group content excludes the solo playstyle.

Having both types of content doesn't exclude anyone or trivialize gameplay.

I'm happy to let you group if that is your preference. I just want the freedom to solo too.

That doesn't make me the hypocritical one in this conversation.