Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO on the market.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

DFO has real FFA PvP with consequences, player housing, player crafting (love having my name printed on ingame items), sieges, sea warfare all in an open world. Nothing offers this other than DFO, and AV isn't run by a bunch of suits with dollar signs in their eyeballs.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Agricola1

DFO has real FFA PvP with consequences, player housing, player crafting (love having my name printed on ingame items), sieges, sea warfare all in an open world. Nothing offers this other than DFO, and AV isn't run by a bunch of suits with dollar signs in their eyeballs.

While the rest is debatable there is one key peice I would love to hammer into yours and others head.

"and AV isn't run by a bunch of suits with dollar signs in their eyeballs. "

Thats a double edged sword. Reason? Av plays their own game, they are on the topside looking down.. which directly impacts the way they patch, and add new content. Who does this effect? The new players... and we see it in DF, the new players are trying and leaving the game. I can't count the number of New Clan members who whilst in the clan are not active/not playing anymore.

Its an eltist attitude, which is fine if you don't want the game to grow. Av currently is not  asking " How can we get new players in, and retain them"

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

im not very far from pushing the buy button here. but i got some last questions.  how is the varity of gear? how many stat changes can 1 item give. f.ex. im wow u got 2 intelligence, 5 spirit and 7 spell power and maybe something else. is darkfall like that or is it simpler? i personally want it as complex as possible.  how is the crafting?  is it alot of diffrent items to collect to make stuff? and how great is the item varity? please tell me everything u want to tell. ive bought too many games in the last 3 months that dissapointed me to spend any more on crap.

bought Borderlands and got bored. MW2 sucked, Fallen Earth still needs some more polishing. only tried CO and Aion and im glad i didnt buy those. so atm its only Mass Effect, Eve, MW1 and Face of Mankind that steal my time if u wanted to know what i play. 

best regards

Tim

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Timmeyh

im not very far from pushing the buy button here. but i got some last questions.  how is the varity of gear? how many stat changes can 1 item give. f.ex. im wow u got 2 intelligence, 5 spirit and 7 spell power and maybe something else. is darkfall like that or is it simpler? i personally want it as complex as possible.  how is the crafting?  is it alot of diffrent items to collect to make stuff? and how great is the item varity? please tell me everything u want to tell. ive bought too many games in the last 3 months that dissapointed me to spend any more on crap.
    bought Borderlands and got bored. MW2 sucked, Fallen Earth still needs some more polishing. only tried CO and Aion and im glad i didnt buy those. so atm its only Mass Effect, Eve, MW1 and Face of Mankind that steal my time if u wanted to know what i play. 

best regards
    Tim

Gears stats is usually based on the enchant you put on it and the quality of the Materials used.. It could be Health, Resistance, etc.

Crafting is....normal. Deeper than most mmo on the market but not the best. There is a decent bunch of items to collect to craft, most can be found through harvesting but some can only be found on monsters (enchant material and some reagents). Item variety, there's various amount of weapons from Knives, sword and shield, polearms, great axes, bows, staffs, battlespike, good amount of armor from cloth, padded, leather, studded, bone, chain, banded, plate, etc. There's also 6 different mounts you can craft (each race is restricted and are only able to craft their racial mounts (human=horse, orks=death pig) and also a Battlehorn which is the strongest mount)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by twiggy550

Title of the thread should be renamed to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION."

Now that is the first bit of truth i have read on the forums all week :D.

Since i only like PVE in a MMORPG,DF would pretty much be at the bottom of the list for me,so yes it should carry the infamous IMO.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Title of the thread should be renamed to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION."

Since i only like PVE in a MMORPG,DF would pretty much be at the bottom of the list for me,so yes it should carry the infamous IMO.

I would hold your tongue unless you have played Darkfall's PvE.  I would rather fight the Darkfall mob AI than the other 90% of themeparks out there.

Just because Darkfall has PvP, does not mean it does not have good PvE.  It has the PvE with added danger.  It can make for an exhilarating experience.  The high highs along with the low of lows.  Guess what, Darkfall brings emotions and feelings back to MMO's.

Originally posted by Ruyn

I would hold your tongue unless you have played Darkfall's PvE.  I would rather fight the Darkfall mob AI than the other 90% of themeparks out there.

Just because Darkfall has PvP, does not mean it does not have good PvE.  It has the PvE with added danger.  It can make for an exhilarating experience.  The high highs along with the low of lows.  Guess what, Darkfall brings emotions and feelings back to MMO's.

Darkfall has no mob AI , its to random...  telling me you want an eratic mess of PvE over a carefully scripted encounter is an asburdity. Darkfall has horrid PvE..

Originally posted by Redemp

Darkfall has no mob AI , its to random...  telling me you want an eratic mess of PvE over a carefully scripted encounter is an asburdity. Darkfall has horrid PvE..

No I will tell you what an absurdity is.  Instances.  Now the game is no longer massive.  So now you are in your safe instance doing a single player campaign of which you pay $15/month with a few other people.  You know what the boss is going to do, so you do it.  It is no surprise.  It is no fun.  Oh and guess what.  None of your friends could come because they didn't meet the requirement.

Darkfall AI is not a random mess.  They kite you, have friends take turns beat on you.  If they see you they attack.

This is 1000x better than any themepark drivel.

Edit:  Please respond so I can keep punching holes in your arguments.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

No I will tell you what an absurdity is.  Instances.  Now the game is no longer massive.  So now you are in your safe instance doing a single player campaign of which you pay $15/month with a few other people.  You know what the boss is going to do, so you do it.  It is no surprise.  It is no fun.  Oh and guess what.  None of your friends could come because they didn't meet the requirement.

Darkfall AI is not a random mess.  They kite you, have friends take turns beat on you.  If they see you they attack.

Just your opinion. Believe it or not people enjoy what you hate.

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Just your opinion. Believe it or not people enjoy what you hate.

and that's good since there are a lot of shiny, sparkly themeparks out there for them.

• kcc9889kcc9889 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Scyris

Shouldn't you rephrase that to "No pvp just ganking noobs on land and the high Sea's" Since I bet this is probally 90% of the pvp that happens since its always like that in these pvp sandbox games :P

Not really, not really at all. Play the game before you judge it.

The mobs do not kite you..

The run erraticly at various random points in the fight. There is no "Strategy" or "AI" behind it... its a random mess.

The friends do not "Take turns" beating on you... they erraticly run around in circles, run off in zig zags changing direction at full speed... for no reason.

That is not AI... thats an absurd PvE system.

Turning up the mob aggro range past clipping distance doesn't make it good AI ethier,  you are living in a dream world.

I suppose the resistances are wonderful and innovative, the endless stamina and mana pools are also equally as wonderful.Have you played any other MMO with decent PvE?

• kcc9889kcc9889 Member Posts: 84

Lol. A scripted encounter means that the mob does the same thing pretty much every time, you have it backwards. In darkfall the mobs are trying to stay alive, they are trying to kite you and get their friends to help you. A random Darkfall mob spawn is 10x smarter than any themepark mob.

Originally posted by kcc9889

Lol. A scripted encounter means that the mob does the same thing pretty much every time, you have it backwards. In darkfall the mobs are trying to stay alive, they are trying to kite you and get their friends to help you. A random Darkfall mob spawn is 10x smarter than any themepark mob.

Your kidding right?

They do not react.. did we play the same game? They do random things, at random times... there is no strategy, depth, or AI about it. Your honestly suggesting that your random reacting mobs are better thought out, and put into practice than a well executed script encounter from a quality PvE game?

Its like saying Craps has more depth than poker.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Seriously?  You think the mob AI is worthwhile in Darkfall?  After spending a good bit of time fighting the gobs and trolls (I think they were trolls, can't remember the specific name, just that they were a tough fight.  Could hit darn hard.), I can say that the mob AI is pedestrian at best..  It most reminded me of being back in the original EQ and how the mobs acted in there.  Which is appropriate I guess, EQ would have only been a couple years old when they started on this.  Just more copying going on.  The only emotions Darkfall brought out were boredom and a liberal dose of laughter at their attempt to make a game.  And as always, if you are loving it, keep loving it.  The best thing any of us can hope for is to find a game that keeps us coming back.  I'm still looking.  Cheers.

The mobs do not kite you..  YES THEY DO.

The run erraticly  YES  at various random points in the fight. There is no "Strategy" or "AI" behind it Yes there is... its a random mess. No it's not.

The friends do not "Take turns" beating on you yes they do... they erraticly run around in circles, run off in zig zags changing direction at full speed... for no reason.  No, they will circle around to expose your back so that his buddy can get a backshot on you.  Also, the mobs will "come hither" you and jump over obstacles to get to you.

That is not AI... thats an absurdly awesome PvE system.

Turning up the mob aggro range past clipping distance doesn't make it good AI ethier, Line of Sight and they can hear you so if you creep up you can sneak up on them  you are living in a dream world. What I say is fact and not opinion.

I suppose the resistances are wonderful and innovative, the endless stamina and mana pools are also equally as wonderful.Have you played any other MMO with decent PvE? Yes

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Mystlynx
    Originally posted by twiggy550  Title of the thread should be renamed to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION."

Seriously?  You think the mob AI is worthwhile in Darkfall?  After spending a good bit of time fighting the gobs and trolls (I think they were trolls, can't remember the specific name, just that they were a tough fight.  Could hit darn hard.), I can say that the mob AI is pedestrian at best..  It most reminded me of being back in the original EQ and how the mobs acted in there.  Which is appropriate I guess, EQ would have only been a couple years old when they started on this.  Just more copying going on.  The only emotions Darkfall brought out were boredom and a liberal dose of laughter at their attempt to make a game.  And as always, if you are loving it, keep loving it.  The best thing any of us can hope for is to find a game that keeps us coming back.  I'm still looking.  Cheers.

Good luck waiting for game where every mob in controlled by NASA super computer. If you are bashing darkfall show me other games with better mobs AI.

You talk about two mobs then call the AI pedestrian?  Are you qualified to make that early judgement?  Name better?

I'm not saying that the Darkfall AI is perfect but it is better than many other MMO's out there.  The AI will also get more refined as the years pass by.

I have suggested something in beta that would fix 90% of the mob problems.  Cut the invisible leash.  That would make the mob AI almost perfect.

The mobs do not kite you..  YES THEY DO.

The run erraticly  YES  at various random points in the fight. There is no "Strategy" or "AI" behind it Yes there is... its a random mess. No it's not.

The friends do not "Take turns" beating on you yes they do... they erraticly run around in circles, run off in zig zags changing direction at full speed... for no reason.  No, they will circle around to expose your back so that his buddy can get a backshot on you.  Also, the mobs will "come hither" you and jump over obstacles to get to you.

That is not AI... thats an absurdly awesome PvE system.

Turning up the mob aggro range past clipping distance doesn't make it good AI ethier, Line of Sight and they can hear you so if you creep up you can sneak up on them  you are living in a dream world. What I say is fact and not opinion.

I suppose the resistances are wonderful and innovative, the endless stamina and mana pools are also equally as wonderful.Have you played any other MMO with decent PvE? Yes

Clearly we are not going to agree, I see a tragic mess of a PvE system...  you see something wonderful. Everything you countered with is an opinion... the mobs do not react, they act randomly. They do not circle behind you to expose your back... they move towards you erraticly, sometimes they end up behind you, most will not crawl over obstacles.. Go stand behind a rock at the Ravens camp...  the mobs STOP and glitch out. If your buddy has more aggro... he can stand behind a tree out of LOS and you can nail the mob from behind untill you generate enough hate. How is that "Good" AI ? If you wish to see that as some "grand design" then.... meh. Heck even in EQ1 they had los/range checks for nearest threat so the mob doesn't stand around like a loon... thats simple AI mechanics and they can't even get THAT right.

I don't get how a thrown together mob package of randomly acting mobs is considered "Good PvE" but on the same hand, you don't see how well scripted, by competent developers, PvE encounters can be considered "Good".

So to each their own..

Originally posted by drago_pl

Good luck waiting for game where every mob in controlled by NASA super computer. If you are bashing darkfall show me other games with better mobs AI.

Eq1, Eq2, Vanguard, Potbs, SWG, Lotro, AoC, War( HA!), any other indie or main stream mmo ever developed pretty much.

Clearly we are not going to agree, I see a tragic mess of a PvE system...  you see something wonderful. Everything you countered with is an opinion... the mobs do not react, they act randomly. They do not circle behind you to expose your back... they move towards you erraticly, sometimes they end up behind you, most will not crawl over obstacles.. Go stand behind a rock at the Ravens camp...  the mobs STOP and glitch out. If your buddy has more aggro... he can stand behind a tree out of LOS and you can nail the mob from behind untill you generate enough hate. How is that "Good" AI ? If you wish to see that as some "grand design" then.... meh. Heck even in EQ1 they had los/range checks for nearest threat so the mob doesn't stand around like a loon... thats simple AI mechanics and they can't even get THAT right.
    I don't get how a thrown together mob package of randomly acting mobs is considered "Good PvE" but on the same hand, you don't see how well scripted, by competant developers, PvE encounters can be considered "Good".
    So to each their own..

Everything that you stated is also an opinion, so you are right that we will never agree.  Some people will agree with you, while others will agree with me.

I was playing the other night and was launched on a building shooting a mage.  Him and his buddies couldn't really get me so next thing I know I get "come hithered" (pulled toward the enemy) and then confused (blinded) and barely escaped.

I fight mobs that are always "running erratically" as you would say while the other mob is coming up from behind.  Mobs will lead their shot to hit you with you are on the run.  You try to line up multiple mobs to hit each other but some will not cast so they do not hit their buddies.  This is stuff I have seen.  It is great.  Name other MMO's that does this?

Originally posted by drago_pl

Eq1, Eq2, Vanguard, Potbs, SWG, Lotro, AoC, War( HA!), any other indie or main stream mmo ever developed pretty much.

Vanguard being the best of the bunch still doesn't compare to the Darkfall mobs.  Single pull anyone?  Low aggro radius?  Watching you beat on their buddies?  Do one thing then run at a certain percent?  Try harder.  Next!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Scyris

Shouldn't you rephrase that to "No pvp just ganking noobs on land and the high Sea's" Since I bet this is probally 90% of the pvp that happens since its always like that in these pvp sandbox games :P

i dunno about DF because i dont play it, but it's not like that in eve (which i have played for 3 years)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

I don't get how a thrown together mob package of randomly acting mobs is considered "Good PvE" but on the same hand, you don't see how well scripted, by competant developers, PvE encounters can be considered "Good".
    So to each their own..

Everything that you stated is also an opinion, so you are right that we will never agree.  Some people will agree with you, while others will agree with me.

I was playing the other night and was launched on a building shooting a mage.  Him and his buddies couldn't really get me so next thing I know I get "come hithered" (pulled toward the enemy) and then confused (blinded) and barely escaped.

I fight mobs that are always "running erratically" as you would say while the other mob is coming up from behind.  Mobs will lead their shot to hit you with you are on the run.  You try to line up multiple mobs to hit each other but some will not cast so they do not hit their buddies.  This is stuff I have seen.  It is great.  Name other MMO's that does this?

Every PvE based Mmo title to date has had said features in it. The things your a praising that are -not- just erratic behavior have been around for ages and are not new to the genre.

Mobs acting in concert has been a staple since Eq1.

You are right though.. I can not name one other system that utilizes a system based on a mob acting randomly with no triggers... there is a reason behind that though... It's not good.

/shrug --

Again I will say it .. mobs having an aggro range beyond the players clipping distance IS NOT GOOD AI! They do not come help, or attack you because they have good AI. They have a HUGE aggro radius... and a script that says : If x player is in x range...  Attack.

Period.

Again I will say it .. mobs having an aggro range beyond the players clipping distance IS NOT GOOD AI! They do not come help, or attack you because they have good AI. They have a HUGE aggro radius... and a script that says : If x player is in x range...  Attack.
    Period.

That's just not true.  You can sneak up on mobs with crouch walk and stay out of LOS.  So it isn't just x range.  It's X range, LOS, and sound.  Exclamation point!