Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What inspires you to role play? What makes you disinclined?

It has been my experience... that most MMOs are not suitable environments for role playing.

What inspires you to role play in a multiplayer game?

What types of features keep you from role playing in a multiplayer  game?

What kinds of features would you like to see in a game that's main focus is 'in character' interactions?

Just curious =)

-Vex

H A D O K E N !

Comments

• ERHALL01ERHALL01 Member Posts: 2

I love it when a game is new and challenging you know. I love to try and figure out what the next best thing is for gaming. Nothing's better than achieving that perfect mixture of attributes for a character that makes you a total beast and unstoppable. On that note I like when I find a new game. Please hook me up and give me referal points!

http://brushbackbaseball.com/index.jsp?rf=21

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

I love to RP in settings I'm familiar with, such as LotRO and AoC...

I find it difficult to RP in settings I'm unfamiliar with...basically MMOs with an original IP...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• VelexiaVelexia Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by ERHALL01

I love it when a game is new and challenging you know. I love to try and figure out what the next best thing is for gaming. Nothing's better than achieving that perfect mixture of attributes for a character that makes you a total beast and unstoppable. On that note I like when I find a new game. Please hook me up and give me referal points!

http://brushbackbaseball.com/index.jsp?rf=21

I'm sorry, I am not sure I understand... the question was... "what makes you inspired to role play?"   =)

H A D O K E N !

Originally posted by rozenblade1

I love to RP in settings I'm familiar with, such as LotRO and AoC...
    I find it difficult to RP in settings I'm unfamiliar with...basically MMOs with an original IP...

Is this because you feel you need to have a good understanding of the lore/background to properly roleplay your character?

What about the game's UI or the layout of the  world?  Emotes or lack thereof?

H A D O K E N !

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

It's more to do with language. I've attempted this a few times and it's difficult when everyone's speaking in Old English (as in the proper Queen's English from the 15th century - Ye, Yea, Nay, Thee and Thou etc) or when they start talking to you in elvish. How in the world am I supposed to respond when I don't even know what they're saying lol. Difficult, and frankly it makes my head hurt to think in standard english and then have to convert to type/speak it out.

Originally posted by Azareal

It's more to do with language. I've attempted this a few times and it's difficult when everyone's speaking in Old English (as in the proper Queen's English from the 15th century - Ye, Yea, Nay, Thee and Thou etc) or when they start talking to you in elvish. How in the world am I supposed to respond when I don't even know what they're saying lol. Difficult, and frankly it makes my head hurt to think in standard english and then have to convert to type/speak it out.

Typically, when I am in that situation, I just roleplay that my character doesn't fully understand the dialect.  You have to roleplay within your means, after all =)

H A D O K E N !

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

Love RPing but don't do it in MMO's - too much game and not enough RP.  I think if they got rid of all the chat channels that would be a step in the right direction for promoting rp... at least on servers identified as RP.

Would it help if character's had a chat window that collected only chat" that your character could actually hear (within range) and if  speaking with your character used speech bubbles?

And suppose player chat used a player name that was not directly connected to your character name, and could not be accessed while you were actively playing your character, but was server wide with various channels?

(Basically you would open a screen that would disable your character controls, and would give you access to server wide player chat channels, an OOC as it were)

H A D O K E N !

• KoritKorit Member Posts: 3

In general, I think it's true that it is difficult to role play in an MMO. It helps if I am in a game where there is a pretty good sub-community of role players, obviously, because I need people to role play with. Beyond that, it helps if there is a pretty expansive, detailed world, and if whatever races there are in the game have very well-developed cultures that have a lot of differentiation from one another. This gives me a starting point to develop the identity of my own character, and a starting point for my interactions with other characters. Lower down on the list, but still good, would be a wide variety of emotes because they add audio-visual component to the RP with gestures/actions/sounds. Without those, I sort of ask myself why I'm in an MMO instead of still playing a MUD or MUSH, but it's not like I can't get by without them. 

Thank you for the input, Korit ^_^

H A D O K E N !

• AurixAurix Member Posts: 5

RPG is always enjoying, though, nowadays I'm getting pretty tired of all the cheating..especially in Tibia

Originally posted by Aurix

RPG is always enjoying, though, nowadays I'm getting pretty tired of all the cheating..especially in Tibia

I'm not sure I understand how that applies to the topic? =)

H A D O K E N !

• BennettHuangBennettHuang Member Posts: 10

I want to feel involved as if I was a part of something.  Whether it be from the perspective of a bystander of a war, or the common fighter in either armies, or watching a war between nations from a third party nation debating what to do, etc.  Lore and story is a definite must when I am playing mmorpgs because that's what the game creations are based off of.  

There must be a reason, a goal, ambition, a background, and all kinds of good stuff that make people strive to play better.  People love playing mmorpgs because they feel as if they are a part of some great world at a given state or time that makes them feel really into it. 

I think curiosity is also important because people are always wondering "what it would be like if so and so was like this?" I think fantasy and curiosity is a good mix to stir into people's minds. 

The number one reason that people get bored (IMO) is that you don't have a solid group of people you enjoy playing with in a game. I have found that playing mmorpgs with a group of people that you know and trust will greatly change your gampelay experience.

Have Played: FFXI WoW Aion Maplestory Runescape GrandFantasia RoM JD Rohan Cabal MateriaMagica Ragnarok(2) DDO
    Currently Playing: -nothing-
    imageimage "Please don't hurt me master"

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

The more I feel like I have the ability to do something unique or "off the beaten path", the more inclined I am to RP. RP, for me, is about entertaining others and it feels more meaningful if it's not just a blunch of florid bullshit but actually what my character is doing ingame.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

If I could play a class role like a "Trader" class.. but only that to level my trading skills to gain certain bonus and benifts, I can only gain experience for every successful trade I make w/ other players (and not raise that skill during combat like most games seem to do).  That way if I were playing something specific like trader or healer, then I should only gain certain types of skill experience through specific tasks... and not just off of mob-grind.

• PhlegethonPhlegethon Member Posts: 26

For me, it really depends on the character I am playing, and the company. Some of my in-game friends RP, some do not.

When I'm with my non-RP friends, it's about interaction of the 'wetware' behind the avatars, hitting missions and defeating the enemy.

When I'm with my RP friends, it's more about character interaction and development, with the missions being an aspect of the RP'ing.

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228

-Well i am not into RP at all but i do play on RP server because of rules they have, i prefer to RP and have nice and polite ppl instead of arrogant pricks on normal server that talk and do what every they feel like.

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

My inspiration to Role Play is self motivated. Unfortunately, true role players are hard to find in MMOs. Actual RP is not speaking "old English" (or attempting too, most folks I've seen attempt this fail miserably). For me, RP is about becoming your avatar, identifying with their backstory and peronality. If I play a mercenary warrior, perhaps he isn't so educated. Perhaps he only does what he does to earn enough coin for that next pint of ale or trip to a brothel. If I play a mage, perhaps he is motivated to quest for elusive power in order to affect his will in the world around him, or even for the sake of knowledge itself. Achieving immersion in the character to understand their personal agenda or goals. Becoming someone outside of my own personality, to do things I can't do in real life. Meeting with new people and joining them briefly to achieve a common goal, possibly making long term acquaintances whom I bump into from time to time. Much like an adventure novel, that's what RP should be.

Unfortunately, the things that prohibit my RP are people that simply refuse or don't roleplay because they are too self conscious or don't feel they are very good at it. It has been my experience that these types of people are the norm rather than the exception. People don't want to look "uncool" even if they proclaim themselves to be "geeks" and celebrate their quirkiness. Sadly, they don't understand that MMOs are the perfect vehicle to achieve RP. For the most part, you become anonymous. No one in the real world will ever know how poorly you RP'd or how "geeky" you sounded. If you enjoy it, do it! In these virtual worlds, as in the real world, people are daunted or bullied into not role playing because of some jerk who makes fun of them or makes cruel comments when someone tries to enjoy a bit of RP. The key is to understand those people only want to tear down your RP experience because they have low self esteem themselves and do not possess the courage to put themselves out there.

Persistance is also important. Continue in character even when those around you do not follow suit or insult your attempts. Ignore the seduction to fall back into your own personality to defend yourself. Keep your persona, this will drive those nay-sayers completely insane. In the long run, your fellow gamers will remember your RP and be encouraged by your example. Don't worry if you feel you aren't any good at it. With practice, slipping into character will become as easy slipping on a pair of well worn slippers. Be encouraged and stick to your guns.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

I've seen some good rp. I was on WoW in Stormwind one night and stumbled on a group rping in the main square. After watching someone insult the Dranei in the exchange, since I was on as my Dranei character I jumped in in character to defend the Dranei. It changed the whole rp experience and I got a few 'thank yous' from the rp-ers for throwing something unexpected into their rp night. Made some new friends, found new people to group with, had a great time and it was a very fun diversion from the usual questing.

It's like the previous poster said though too many people try too hard or are self concious about it so it is hard to find people to rp with. Most people are probably just comfortable being themselves without thinking about who their character is.

An mmo is what you make it. If you like to rp then do it who cares what the non-rpers think? Most of the people you see in any mmo will never know who you really are. They can't see the real you. If you really like it best thing to do is find a good guild that does it or find people out there that like it. Only thing that keeps me from rp-ing is when I have to group with people I don't know. It doesn't work well because there is always someone in the group that thinks they know everything and that your rp-ing is just going to slow everyone down. I've seen a couple of people get kicked from groups because of rp-ing.

Not sure what could be added to a game to encourage rp. Maybe more quests that involve making choices. Sort of like Kotor, when you make choices they affect what kind of character you become. I also like games that allow you to type in bios that everyone can see. I always put 'RP character' or 'I RP' in the bio so people know what to expect if they talk to me in game. Other than that forced rp probably won't work because I am guessing most people just don't want to put that much effort into their character. They just want the loot, titles, etc.

• norrinorri Member Posts: 2

In response to the OP: Good role players. Immersion. Storytelling.

That's it. A good, rooted, friendly group of immersive role players will keep me content in a game where I dislike the gameplay, backstory, or anything else. Played WoW for so many years, and when my group of role playin' buds disappeared, I just figured out then how disgusted I was at it mechanic wise, quit. No feature keeps me from it, in fact I think good role play keeps me from noticing features I'd normally scoff at. Good outweighs the bad, so to speak.

If only a game was focused for in character interactions. Responsive NPC's - not every time someone does something, mind you - a lively, well filled out city (no three houses for every 1,000 citizens, please) and general 'realism' to a fantasy or sci-fi setting. It doesn't need to be real, it just needs to feel immersive. That's what I'd like to see, and I know it'll probably never happen, c'est la vie.

For me, in the end, all I can hope for is a good community of solid role players who know how to weave a story worthy of novelization. Something that's juicy, but not a soap opera. Something worthy of actors portraying on the large screen. Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart and I should wrap a scarf around my turtleneck and begin doing off Broadway productions of my own plays, but it's really how I feel.

No amount of fancy or glittery features will dissuade or persuade me to go someplace unless an RP community is going to be rooted, or is rooted. I know for a fact that asking any developer to support role players won't really cut the mustard, so to say, but it's a dream that one day a team will go 'Those role players are dedicated. Let us pleeeease them.'

TL;DR: People make the RP. Circular support from player to player will help a community thrive in spite of unfriendly RP mechanics. Not 100% of the time, however.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Pretty simple. I can relate to people who enjoy spending their free time taking part in the game's lore and setting.

What kills me is when people have to meta-game something CRAZY! "I'm half blood-elf half night-elf and half half-elf and I was born to the King of Europe who was a vampire that liked my mother some."

Kudos for trying, but you just ruined my night. Guess I'll go beg for a raid.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Originally posted by Velexia

It has been my experience... that most MMOs are not suitable environments for role playing.

What kinds of features would you like to see in a game that's main focus is 'in character' interactions?

Just curious =)

-Vex

The only time I ever act the way I would if I was the character is in single player games, and thats just because the immersion in single player RPG's storywise, to me, is so much greater than that of an MMORPG.  Plus I am embarassed to RP something to people online instead of actually doing something outside.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Velexia

Just curious =)

-Vex

First I need enough character customisation (char itself and appearance of the stuff he/she wears) to enjoy being part of his/her adventure (RoM would be a great example; have to check how far EQ2 have improved in that area).

The other first would be a roleplay realm. Or at least a server with expanded naming rules. Nothing drops me harder out of RP than the Warrior "Donutkilla" passing me with "olol n00bs!11" and the knowledge thats ok & allowed on the server I'm playing on (Sadly, RoM is far away from a great example in that area :( ).

• RaymikaRaymika Member UncommonPosts: 18

I don't usually roleplay in mmo-s because most of them don't let me to be unique. As in WoW, i will have the same height and weight , and bodytype, as everyone. And my race sharing the same 6 hair or skin color tones, we only have 10 haircuts, etc. You know what i trying to tell?

I started roleplaying in Champions Online, because my character is always unique. It's hard to copy anyone's custome, because there is so many options, and so many custome slots to fell yourself unique. Imade a custome concept, made a backstory, and talked like my character's personality.

So my motivation is the uniqueness. If i'm not playing an exact clone of my chosen race, i will roleplay. My next roleplaying  stop is in FE right now. :)

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98

lack of friends