Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Derek Brinkmann: Why Love the Sandbox?

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Ultima Online's Lead Engineer Derek Brinkmen answers the question: Sandbox games have proven that they stand the test of time. Why do you think the sandbox model appeals to players even after all these years?

Sandbox games have proven that they stand the test of time. Why do you think the sandbox model appeals to players even after all these years?

Sandbox games lend themselves very well to the traditional MMO business model. The MMO monthly fee business model relies on players not only purchasing the game but continuing to play it for years. The basic idea behind sandbox games is to provide players with a virtual world (one that is more exciting than the real world) and the tools to enjoy living in that world. There are many aspects of these games that keep players paying, but three core concepts immediately come to mind.

Read Derek Brinkmen: Why Love the Sandbox?

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Nice read, now lets hope MO can accomplish this. I really want a great sandbox to play around with.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Go sandbox!

I play all ghame

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

WTB successor to UO.

:(

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

Skills not levels, player ownership of land and indivdual differences between servers seem to be common themes.

• fartking7fartking7 Member Posts: 91

Sandboxes can be fun, but you have to watch out--cats love to dump in them!

poopee

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

It is appreciated what the site is doing to promote the sandbox style game with this and the other 3 articles/interviews. Keep it up!

Oh, and a case of your favorite drink to you Stradden if you corner Turbine and as the tough question of why they won't make a true gameplay mechanic/system followup to Asheron's Call.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

It is appreciated what the site is doing to promote the sandbox style game with this and the other 3 articles/interviews. Keep it up!

Oh, and a case of your favorite drink to you Stradden if you corner Turbine and as the tough question of why they won't make a true gameplay mechanic/system followup to Asheron's Call.

Agreed.  Sandbox or Free Range is fine with me.