Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MY CONCERNS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF DFO.

patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114

You surely will agree with me that DF is a unique game and that is the reason why it has a unique client. I bought the game last night and although I knew the client was huge (almost 10 GB!!!) it is always sad to see how you have to wait (in my case) almost 3 days of downloading patches to finally enjoy the game. I cant afford a faster internet service so I have to patiently wait till the day I step in Agon. Not only I lost 3 days of subscription but I cant enjoy it inmediately as other mmos out there. I am not complaining in any way, I loved this game since the day they announced, however I am thinking in those that will come after me.

I am coming to the game relatively early but lets think about those that will come lets say in 5 years from today. More patches and expansion will come in the future, you can bet it, and in five years the client could reach easily the monstrous size of 20 GB nothing for a modern console game but this counts if we have to download it.

The nature of the game doesnt allow to play while you download as many mmos I tried since you dont start in a special noobies location where the game is launched but in DFO you must choose any of the 6 race driven places and what if you want visit the other edge of the world the very day you start so this model of downloading while I play would be impossible to apply in a game like DFO.

My fears are about losing the data for any given reason and that all the effort downloading the game be lost in a single day. So I am thinking about back up all the data from the DF folder in another hard disk, but I dont know if this would work, for example if I lose the data then reinstalling the client and later deposit all the back up data in the DF folder and start my game as if nothing would have happen. Is it possible? does any of you have had a similar experience? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

If you save the DFO folder onto an external HD you have a backup that you can use anytime, also AV have DFO boxes on the shelves in Greece and it will no doubt be available sometime next year.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• PhallasPhallas Member Posts: 22

technology had too move forward, Developers can't be expected to limit their creativity because of the limitations of its customers, Wow not included, Blizzard must be laughing.

Take a look at crysis (2007) , you needed $ 1600 U.S worth of video cards too play it on full , at the time, People thought the developers where crazy, they simply expected too much form their customers and The technology just wasn't their yet.

But they sold millions of copies and thanks too Crysis, Games reached a whole new Level graphically , because the developers realized that if

you build it, they will build better rigs to play it.

My point is developers cant forever cater to those with low specs (i e, slow internet, seriously 10 gigs would take a single night for me and others could pull it off in a 1 hour.

Upgrade, you have no excuse for such slow internet, if you have access to fiber or cable then buy it. Any one with anything less then 150kb/s, Need to upgrade

if your going to play an epic 12 GB game.

“If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you” - Bruce lee

Life Is not about how hard you can hit, It's about hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.- Rocky

• KalTheoKalTheo Member UncommonPosts: 65

Nothing prevents you from getting the game before signing up for an account.  You could have downloaded the game before paying for it like I did.  My 150kb's / second had me the game in a day, and that's basically the cheapest high speed internet available in my area.

This complaint seems silly to me, it's a great game & well worth the download.

• patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Agricola1

If you save the DFO folder onto an external HD you have a backup that you can use anytime, also AV have DFO boxes on the shelves in Greece and it will no doubt be available sometime next year.

Nice to hear that, and talking about boxes, that would be a good option but the boxes shold be sold fast and replaced by others up to dates otherwise you will be still downloading 5 or more GB of patches.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

here´s my friend utorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/

peoplel blame him for nasty things, but its market fault not his, he is a very usefull tool if used correctly =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

here´s my friend utorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/
    ppl blame him from nasty thing, but its market fault not him, he is a very usefull tool if used correctly =)

Rofl..

But really OP, I bashed Darkfall on many occasions, however this isn't a good reason for doing it.

I mean...AoC client has about 25gb, what would you do if you had to download that?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by patshir

You surely will agree with me that DF is a unique game and that is the reason why it has a unique client. I bought the game last night and although I knew the client was huge (almost 10 GB!!!) it is always sad to see how you have to wait (in my case) almost 3 days of downloading patches to finally enjoy the game. I cant afford a faster internet service so I have to patiently wait till the day I step in Agon. Not only I lost 3 days of subscription but I cant enjoy it inmediately as other mmos out there. I am not complaining in any way, I loved this game since the day they announced, however I am thinking in those that will come after me.
    Your financial circumstance is something that you must deal with and accept, you can make the point but people must make choices....
    I am coming to the game relatively early but lets think about those that will come lets say in 5 years from today. More patches and expansion will come in the future, you can bet it, and in five years the client could reach easily the monstrous size of 20 GB nothing for a modern console game but this counts if we have to download it.
    Capability to download is available not sure what your problem or point is here worrying about un-important matters. 
    The nature of the game doesnt allow to play while you download as many mmos I tried since you dont start in a special noobies location where the game is launched but in DFO you must choose any of the 6 race driven places and what if you want visit the other edge of the world the very day you start so this model of downloading while I play would be impossible to apply in a game like DFO.
    My fears are about losing the data for any given reason and that all the effort downloading the game be lost in a single day. So I am thinking about back up all the data from the DF folder in another hard disk, but I dont know if this would work, for example if I lose the data then reinstalling the client and later deposit all the back up data in the DF folder and start my game as if nothing would have happen. Is it possible? does any of you have had a similar experience? Thanks for any input.
    Backup to another physical device is absolutely fine , or even backup of current download which will require patching if you ever have to re-install but will save vast numbers of hours.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

The first patch I saw for an MMO was 15mb and I was like "HOLY SHIT!!!! THAT'S HUGE" because I was on 56k and 15mb took like a day and a half to download.

Size isn't a concern. I'm on 10mbps now and I download from AV ;700kbps.

If you think DFO is big, go download WoW. I think WoW is pushing the 40gb mark and any box set you buy is going to be at least 10 patches away from the version that's currently out, with at least one of those patches being 2-6g and they have HORRIBLE download speeds. They are a multi-gazzillion dollar company who tries to torrent out their patches, which causes a huge upload ratio on your part which slows down your entire network.... and there is no way to throttle it. Assholes. At least AV lets you download it from them.

It's just the nature of MMOs. They are huge and update alot.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677
    Originally posted by TheHatter

The first patch I saw for an MMO was 15mb and I was like "HOLY SHIT!!!! THAT'S HUGE" because I was on 56k and 15mb took like a day and a half to download.

If you think DFO is big, go download WoW. I think WoW is pushing the 40gb mark and any box set you buy is going to be at least 10 patches away from the version that's currently out, with at least one of those patches being 2-6g and they have HORRIBLE download speeds. They are a multi-gazzillion dollar company who tries to torrent out their patches, which causes a huge upload ratio on your part which slows down your entire network.... and there is no way to throttle it. Assholes. At least AV lets you download it from them.

I think wow is like 13 or 14 gigs but anyways yea for the people that are having trouble with slow download because of there ISP start getting the game before you subscribe.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Don't forget about people in Canada - the problem is not with speed, but with amount. Express with Rogers is 60 Gigs per month, Lite is only 20. If someone is on Lite, they have to spend half of their monthly inet bandwidth just to DL the bugger. That's a big problem, each additional GB is 2.50$ (for Lite users). If you are lucky, you can find a smaller ISP with no transfer limit, but its tough to find quality service, and Bell (the monopolist) puts up all kinds of obstacles for those small ISPs. I know because I work for one of those small ISPs.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by djnexus

Originally posted by TheHatter

I think wow is like 13 or 14 gigs but anyways yea for the people that are having trouble with slow download because of there ISP start getting the game before you subscribe.

Edit: 

Nvm, you're right. The entire folder is 14.5gb. But, if you keep the patches (like I used to) it's pushing 30.