Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Starbase 24 Trailer; Quinto Voice of STO

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In today's Star Trek Online news we've got a new trailer for you all you Trekkies to fawn over. In this latest trailer we are witness to the siege of Starbase 24.

Over the weekend at this year's Video Game Awards we also learned that Zachary Quinto, the new Spock, will be the voice of Star Trek Online! What does that mean? Who knows at this point? But hey, Quinto rocks, so we've definitely got our ears perked!

Watch the new trailer here!

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

aaah the graphics look so bad i hope the game player will be awesome

BestSigEver :P

• SuperthrustSuperthrust World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember Posts: 45

I agree. The gameplay SHOULD be great.

But lets all come to senses, even the people who don't really like it, But wow's graphics aren't the BEST out there, but the gameplay keeps people coming back!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

So were using the new Spock voice in the game.

Yea I hated that movie, that puts the final nail in the coffin for me.

Keep on butchering the star trek franchise not interested in the least now.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Not gonna lie... The idea of a large scale space battle (as shown in this trailer) is a huge turn off for me. Very rarely was a large scale battle ever seen in the decades that Star Trek has existed and the idea that this could be going on all the time is not appealing.

I guess I don't really know what I was expecting with STO... I think I can honestly say I wont be trying this until likely well after release and with a free trial.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Very cool!

More room for all of us who do want to play!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Simsu

Not gonna lie... The idea of a large scale space battle (as shown in this trailer) is a huge turn off for me. Very rarely was a large scale battle ever seen in the decades that Star Trek has existed and the idea that this could be going on all the time is not appealing.
    I guess I don't really know what I was expecting with STO... I think I can honestly say I wont be trying this until likely well after release and with a free trial.

I should stress that there will be an open beta preceding the game's launch, so I imagine a lot of you guys who are not too sure about the game will be able to put it through the paces.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by MikeB

I should stress that there will be an open beta preceding the game's launch, so I imagine a lot of you guys who are not too sure about the game will be able to put it through the paces.

'Open' beta doens't mean what it used to.

Is it 'open' if it requires a fileplanet account?

If I have access to open beta, then I will try it out. I will point out the good and bad. Unlike most.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MisscreantMisscreant Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by weslubow

Very cool!

Indeed... we don't want any Negative Nigels in our STO universe....

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Misscreant

Originally posted by weslubow

Very cool!

Indeed... we don't want any Negative Nigels in our STO universe....

Cryptic spent much more time developing Champions Online...

And kinda' dropped the ball

I hope the STO game turns out OK, but due to the continued problems in CO, the small amount of time developing STO and the very short beta, I feel the game will be released 6 months too early and won't be very much fun. 

And definitely won't make you feel like you are in "The Star Trek Universe".

I plan on giving it a try, but 3-6 months AFTER release, I'm sure the pre-release buyers will be disappointed.

It's like I said... When I first heard about a Star Trek game I thought "Awesome!" but I never really thought about what gameplay aspects I would want to see in the game. I just thought in the back of my head that it'd have like everything and I'd be able to cruise around doing all the trekkie things that I've always thought about doing. If the game's main focus is space battles, specifically large scale ones, then its a turn off for me.

Now as Mike said we're going to get an open beta and I'm sure more info on the other content will be made available before release but as of right now I'm pretty firmly in the "give it some time after release" category.

P.S. The reason more and more people find these forums (and this site) less and less helpful is because of the people who feel the need to flame/troll (albeit fairly politely this time) anyone who posts an opinion different from their own. I mean all I said was that large scale space combat doesn't feel very Star Trek to me and I'm told to "shut up, we don't want you, go away".

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

It's like I said... When I first heard about a Star Trek game I thought "Awesome!" but I never really thought about what gameplay aspects I would want to see in the game. I just thought in the back of my head that it'd have like everything and I'd be able to cruise around doing all the trekkie things that I've always thought about doing. If the game's main focus is space battles, specifically large scale ones, then its a turn off for me.

Now as Mike said we're going to get an open beta and I'm sure more info on the other content will be made available before release but as of right now I'm pretty firmly in the "give it some time after release" category.

P.S. The reason more and more people find these forums (and this site) less and less helpful is because of the people who feel the need to flame/troll (albeit fairly politely this time) anyone who posts an opinion different from their own. I mean all I said was that large scale space combat doesn't feel very Star Trek to me and I'm told to "shut up, we don't want you, go away".

I think everyone who's turning around and saying large space battles were rare and had no place in star trek. Maybe not the next generation, but! This is a time of war, as the game clearly says. That means large fleets battling over contested area's and systems of importance. If you think both sides would send a handful of ships to contend for the quadrants, then your misinformed.

Deep space nine featured 'ALOT' of ships during the war and its battle's. That trailer was obviously one of those battles.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

Originally posted by Maverz290

I think everyone who's turning around and saying large space battles were rare and had no place in star trek. Maybe not the next generation, but! This is a time of war, as the game clearly says. That means large fleets battling over contested area's and systems of importance. If you think both sides would send a handful of ships to contend for the quadrants, then your misinformed.
    Deep space nine featured 'ALOT' of ships during the war and its battle's. That trailer was obviously one of those battles.

I don't think anyone is saying large scale space battles never happened or that they didn't have a place and a purpose, but If you think they happened "a lot" or that  they were a key feature in the Star Trek Universe throughout  the 700+ episodes, 11 movies, and untold number of books then I think one of us is mistaken but it isn't me.

Cryptic can say its in the future and everything is more "volatile" or whatever else they can justify with a good story but that doesn't make any of those things feel like Star Trek. That's the problem with taking an existing IP and making a MMO out of it. Star Trek just happens to be one of the if not the biggest IP done this far.

I can handle lots of minor changes to make a Star Trek MMO playable as a game but if its just another standard MMO in trekkie clothes there are going to be a lot of upset people.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Maverz290

I don't think anyone is saying large scale space battles never happened or that they didn't have a place and a purpose, but If you think they happened "a lot" or that  they were a key feature in the Star Trek Universe throughout  the 700+ episodes, 11 movies, and untold number of books then I think one of us is mistaken but it isn't me.

Cryptic can say its in the future and everything is more "volatile" or whatever else they can justify with a good story but that doesn't make any of those things feel like Star Trek. That's the problem with taking an existing IP and making a MMO out of it. Star Trek just happens to be one of the if not the biggest IP done this far.

I can handle lots of minor changes to make a Star Trek MMO playable as a game but if its just another standard MMO in trekkie clothes there are going to be a lot of upset people.

Your mistaken by thinking i stated there was alot of battles that size. I said 'alot' of ships.

I understand what you mean. Trouble is the majority of trek episodes etc werent during war. The one's that were, reflect the scenes in the trailer, maybe not as many bright lights but you get the idea. My favourite series was the next generation, and they had alot less scenes like the trailer shows, but they were never at war. They always came close though, it was more like a 'cold war' era. This is all out war. If you follow the stardate updates on the official site from day one, it makes sense, and you can see how it gradually deteriorated into this state.

Most of the people complaining about the war taking place haven't bothered to read the backstory. I advise people to check it out, because the situation is not as badly put together as people would let you believe.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3