Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just been playing the come back and Eurgh...

VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

The game is dead on EVERY server : I mean on the EU servers where my characters are on you wont find anyone about. I traveled to several zones with 0 people in them and couldn't get groups to do anything at level 40. Frigging I decided to make a new character on the American servers and well new players would have no clue how to do this. So anyone buying in Europe will just see two dead servers and quit, not even knowing they could play on the American ones.

Made a char on AB and it's like 7 people per zone who don't wanna group lol. Most of them are level 80 just standing AFK in the zone anyways and no one talks to each other it's weird. At least in WoW people are always chatting so you feel like you ain't playing a single player game. However this one everyones just dead silent lol and you ask for help from a passer by and they always run straight pass you. 

The UI is horrible and just a mess of clutter which most of it makes no sense to you. Theres so many different paths through the AAs now it's like what does it all mean? Surely this can't be balanced and it just makes no sense. Most of them you can't get unless you have the expansions which seems pretty dumb. However it just makes no sense like Talent Trees do in WoW. The UI is so ugly as well like it functions but it gives me a sore eye to look at. Having played SWG you can examine everything and see items in 3D but in this game you'll have no idea until you equip it.

I hate all the zones as well like I was walking around Qeynos and it's still loading every 30 seconds as you go through it. I don't understand why they haven't just opened it all up, surely theres new technology to do this. Travel makes no sense through this game as well because it isn't like WoW where you can just easily travel through the seamless world. You have to find bells and carpets and stuff to go through it and traveling from island to island is a pain in the neck. None of it feels seamless and just feels fake and what I wish they did was have a water expansion, making the game seamless so you can travel from island to island in a boat and find little islands no one has found before. 

The world design is the biggest bummer to me because it feels like a series of maps. Also I've noticed all the new stuff is very WoW like and all the new armour and mounts are over the top like WoW, cartoony and look stupid. I loved the look of the original game like when you're in Qeynos, it has a very Elder Scrolls Oblivion feel to it, trying to be like high fantasy. However all the new zones just feel over the top and they have no soul and no sense of exploration. The new maps in game are a cluttered mess and give you no sense of exploration, just tell you where everything is and not even WoW does that. It's hard to describe the differences between the new and the old but I just preferred the old feeling of the game, all the new stuff just feels rushed and doesn't look right and has no soul.

I come on to the things that have needed to be changed since the start and have never been touched. The character models are horrible and need remodeling, some of them look ok like the Lizard men. On the whole though Humans and Barbs look really nasty and so do some of the others. The High Elves look great as females so I don't understand why they can't make the rest look like they have normal skin, rather than plastic and make Human females pretty rather than drugged up and fat. Trees are another thing that have needed to be remodeled because the old ones have always looked nasty and out of place with that horrible bark texture and flat leaves.

The movement and combat as well feels slow and clunky and after playing a WoW you just see how Blizzard got it so right and why people like that game and while EQ2 has barely anyone from what I saw. I also don't like this auto facing the game has which what I loved about WoW was you had to manually look at your target. Auto facing makes you feel locked into it like if you were playing Final Fantasy 7 or something lol.

It's weird because I last played this game properly in 2004 during beta and two weeks after release and I loved it. However I wish WoW didn't come out because it just showed all the other mmorpgs up and did everything ten times better. I left EQ2 for WoW and I never looked back, it was just such the better game and what is funny is WoW doesn't look dated like EQ2 does.

However I also think it's down tot he state of the game and how depressing it is now. I mean during that beta I was having fun because this was the next big MMO and it seemed better than all the others. Then WoW came out and it's like EQ2 feels dated and old and it died quickly to the point you couldn't get groups. In beta every zone was packed and you were always getting groups, it was a lot of fun because the game was forced grouping. However it wasn't effort to get groups because there was so many people. I've never had a better grouping experience than in EQ2 beta and I remember sitting like camp style waiting for our health and power to come back in CL. You'd just progress through all the content with people and it was so much fun. If you play now then good luck getting a group and everything is soloable now anyways, the game just feels dead and depressing and like it has no future.

I'm gonna keep my fond memories of the beta and stop playing because it's just a depressing dead game to be in now unless you're level 80 I spose.

Comments

• deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

You could have just said you hate everything about the game and left it at that. 

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I see a lot of these threads, but seldom see people finding solutions to their problems. At one time I had the same issues after a long return to EQ, however I didn't see any reason to have the entire game adjust to my play style of particular needs.

What I did was I started looking around for a guild. Sure it takes a little time, perhaps even some time away from game play, but in the end its worth it. I joined a great guild, one that has a lot of members spread out over many different game genres. Our guild still has a health amount of people still playing EQII so grouping is not an issue or getting help with whatever it is in the game you need help with.

Don't expect to log into a game have people ready at your beckoning call. Find ways to help yourself instead of putting all the responsibility on the game designers. You're not going to get anywhere feeling sorry for yourself. Granted I'm not here to really single you out, but to kind of address the wider audience of sulkers.

I think its great that you have made some efforts by playing on the US servers where there may be more players, but if you're really interested in playing start looking at some of the guilds on your respected server or just take a look around on EQII Fan Sites.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

I think you just need to go back to Wow since you keep mentioning about it .

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Hopefully you will uninstall and move on without more walls of text describing your angst.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by Varny

The game is dead on EVERY server : I mean on the EU servers where my characters are on you wont find anyone about. I traveled to several zones with 0 people in them and couldn't get groups to do anything at level 40. Frigging I decided to make a new character on the American servers and well new players would have no clue how to do this. So anyone buying in Europe will just see two dead servers and quit, not even knowing they could play on the American ones.
    Made a char on AB and it's like 7 people per zone who don't wanna group lol. Most of them are level 80 just standing AFK in the zone anyways and no one talks to each other it's weird. At least in WoW people are always chatting so you feel like you ain't playing a single player game. However this one everyones just dead silent lol and you ask for help from a passer by and they always run straight pass you. 

The UI is horrible and just a mess of clutter which most of it makes no sense to you. Theres so many different paths through the AAs now it's like what does it all mean? Surely this can't be balanced and it just makes no sense. Most of them you can't get unless you have the expansions which seems pretty dumb. However it just makes no sense like Talent Trees do in WoW. The UI is so ugly as well like it functions but it gives me a sore eye to look at. Having played SWG you can examine everything and see items in 3D but in this game you'll have no idea until you equip it.
    I hate all the zones as well like I was walking around Qeynos and it's still loading every 30 seconds as you go through it. I don't understand why they haven't just opened it all up, surely theres new technology to do this. Travel makes no sense through this game as well because it isn't like WoW where you can just easily travel through the seamless world. You have to find bells and carpets and stuff to go through it and traveling from island to island is a pain in the neck. None of it feels seamless and just feels fake and what I wish they did was have a water expansion, making the game seamless so you can travel from island to island in a boat and find little islands no one has found before. 
    The world design is the biggest bummer to me because it feels like a series of maps. Also I've noticed all the new stuff is very WoW like and all the new armour and mounts are over the top like WoW, cartoony and look stupid. I loved the look of the original game like when you're in Qeynos, it has a very Elder Scrolls Oblivion feel to it, trying to be like high fantasy. However all the new zones just feel over the top and they have no soul and no sense of exploration. The new maps in game are a cluttered mess and give you no sense of exploration, just tell you where everything is and not even WoW does that. It's hard to describe the differences between the new and the old but I just preferred the old feeling of the game, all the new stuff just feels rushed and doesn't look right and has no soul.

I come on to the things that have needed to be changed since the start and have never been touched. The character models are horrible and need remodeling, some of them look ok like the Lizard men. On the whole though Humans and Barbs look really nasty and so do some of the others. The High Elves look great as females so I don't understand why they can't make the rest look like they have normal skin, rather than plastic and make Human females pretty rather than drugged up and fat. Trees are another thing that have needed to be remodeled because the old ones have always looked nasty and out of place with that horrible bark texture and flat leaves.
    The movement and combat as well feels slow and clunky and after playing a WoW you just see how Blizzard got it so right and why people like that game and while EQ2 has barely anyone from what I saw. I also don't like this auto facing the game has which what I loved about WoW was you had to manually look at your target. Auto facing makes you feel locked into it like if you were playing Final Fantasy 7 or something lol.
    It's weird because I last played this game properly in 2004 during beta and two weeks after release and I loved it. However I wish WoW didn't come out because it just showed all the other mmorpgs up and did everything ten times better. I left EQ2 for WoW and I never looked back, it was just such the better game and what is funny is WoW doesn't look dated like EQ2 does.

However I also think it's down tot he state of the game and how depressing it is now. I mean during that beta I was having fun because this was the next big MMO and it seemed better than all the others. Then WoW came out and it's like EQ2 feels dated and old and it died quickly to the point you couldn't get groups. In beta every zone was packed and you were always getting groups, it was a lot of fun because the game was forced grouping. However it wasn't effort to get groups because there was so many people. I've never had a better grouping experience than in EQ2 beta and I remember sitting like camp style waiting for our health and power to come back in CL. You'd just progress through all the content with people and it was so much fun. If you play now then good luck getting a group and everything is soloable now anyways, the game just feels dead and depressing and like it has no future.

I'm gonna keep my fond memories of the beta and stop playing because it's just a depressing dead game to be in now unless you're level 80 I spose.

I think you get my point *sigh*

• DeienDeien Member Posts: 121

If you think all server are dead your on something just go to the ab server. You can always find people in every zone there is almost. So just go back to your WoW and lose more brain cells.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by micona

One word to describe this... wow  :)

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

i call bull*** on OP. I have been playing EQ2 for 10 months now and to say that AB server has 7 people per zone is nothing but lies. GOD knows what time of day he plays and jumped to conclusions. I just logged off from AB and population is as healthy as it was a year ago (can't say how it was before as i started playing last year). Lots of players everywhere and raid groups forming continuously at all levels. Even noob island was packed tonight.

I hate such misleading topics with wrong info.

• yueamyenyueamyen Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Shastra

i call bull*** on OP. I have been playing EQ2 for 10 months now and to say that AB server has 7 people per zone is nothing but lies. GOD knows what time of day he plays and jumped to conclusions. I just logged off from AB and population is as healthy as it was a year ago (can't say how it was before as i started playing last year). Lots of players everywhere and raid groups forming continuously at all levels. Even noob island was packed tonight.

I also call BULL**** on the OP. I have recently returned to EQ2 after a two year break and I am on the AB server. I have started completely over with new characters and I have had many groups. People are always looking to group even when I asked them I almost never got a "No" answer. I love this game and I am having alot of fun since I have came back.  Funny how amazing you say wow is yet youre not there, youre here looking for a new game.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by micona

lol yeah thats what i was thinking, if the OP had problems he would have seemed more valid if he hadn't compared and talked about WoW every other word.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

This is what i call RAGE QUIT!

GO find a game with a learning curve that is easier for you, Hello Kitty Online or even Free Realms.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by ozerinx

GO find a game with a learning curve that is easier for you, Hello Kitty Online or even Free Realms.

lol

BOOM HEAD SHOT OP LOST ONE LIFE.

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by deadmilk

You could have just said you hate everything about the game and left it at that. 

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Shastra

They did mention they were an EU player so considering our prime time of say 9pm EST would be 2am GMT. Again, with his outline being a bit of a generalization there is a lot of room for interpretation or misinterpretation, which ever comes first.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Been playing EQ2 off and on for dear god 5 or 6 years.. how long has it been out? LOL  My main is on Splitpaw and oh OP what server were you playing on?  Cause although I am currently taking a mmo hyatis my BF is playing every day and has no problems finding groups and getting in raids.. So I am going to venture a poor bored emo decided to practice their typing skills here :)  But its nice to see that he cared enough to flame.. :) Thanks for the time

• dpf1978dpf1978 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by ozy1

Originally posted by ozerinx

lol

BOOM HEAD SHOT OP LOST ONE LIFE.

Hehehe, this gave me a good chuckle.

• Fine you don't like the game, but I just got some free days, and easily found people on the european server, and the american server antonia bayle, even though I played on euro time.  

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

wow, no MOIRAE to come out confront this dude? this game must be REALLY did. Thanks for the warning, brother!

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.