Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bummer

Comments

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by trophic

Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Gameloading

Thats really not saying anything. How much of the game makes up of instances? Bioware already confirmed in an interview they will have more instances than most other mmorpgs.
    So why not just play a singleplayer game if you want everything the instances offers, and play an mmorpg when you want the world feeling?

Where did the say they was loading the game up with instances? Linky?

Even if they were, I already told you what you needed to know. Key points and group content would be instanced, I welcome plenty of that. Instancing key points will not break immersion, it will enhance it. When I kill the captain displayed in the Flashpoint demo I would not want to wait for him to spawn while 4 other people stood there bouncing around. When my group and I are downing bosses I would rather it be instanced so it doesn't turn into a multi-zerg guild rush to tag.

If the world will be open to explore with every other player, why would I play a singleplayer game? Besides I can't play Mass Effect 2 or DA:O with my guild can I?

Face it, mate. For all your shilling of this game, it's going to be a basic SPG with some online features. It doesn't matter what the developers say at gamecons - we've heard enough lies, mistakes and ambiguities from devs and producers like Julio Torres and Dallas Dickinson before - games are always very different from the hype. I know fanbois like you and Moirae will have a simultaneous nerdgasm to even contemplate the thought but, be warned, the game isn't shaping up to be anything very special.

Face it, bro, I haven't hyped ToR once. I have done nothing more then share information and interviews, I don't speculate without telling people I'm doing so either. 

The game isn't shaping up to be anything special for you, I respect that, however the game is doing nothing but impressing me. SPG, MMO, it don't matter what you label it, the fact is it's KOTOR made for people to connect and play with while getting supplied content. Name drop all you want, I'll continue to watch and judge by the quality of the game and not a few people considered the devil by a handful of vets. By the way, Julio Torres has some pretty decent games behind him. One mistake means he is fail? My only disappointment with the NGE was it caused a bunch of people to turn into internet hobos that constantly hang around my little area in MMORPG.com barking for change to buy back their shattered dreams. Swg-emu is one google search away.

Originally posted by StuBidasoe

Face it, mate. For all your shilling of this game, it's going to be a basic SPG with some online features. It doesn't matter what the developers say at gamecons - we've heard enough lies, mistakes and ambiguities from devs and producers like Julio Torres and Dallas Dickinson before - games are always very different from the hype. I know fanbois like you and Moirae will have a simultaneous nerdgasm to even contemplate the thought but, be warned, the game isn't shaping up to be anything very special.

Says the same troll that insisted there would only be humans playable in SWTOR.  Thanks for the usual uninformed warning.

Link to evidence of other races playable in the game? Oh, and please come up with something better than one flyaway comment by a dev at a gamecon conference who would agree to anything so long as it keeps him away from his basement cubicle and the smell of his own feet.

Hmmm? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Didn't think so.

www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php on the official forums.

"Human Only - You will be able to play other species, we just have not announced those other species yet."

I'm sure they're both lying.

Edit: didn't know Stubid provided the information. Anyways, use your same excuse here if you want, let loose the nerdrage, it will make you feel better.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Nice find greed it will be interesting to see how they handle the voices of the other races.   

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

Originally posted by kegtap

Nice find greed it will be interesting to see how they handle the voices of the other races.   

I'm looking forward to the voice actor listing for ToR. I just made a thread on this about ME2 in the general gaming forum.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Last time I am going to say these things.

- Sandbox mmorpgs are in the past, the closest we will see is a hybrid.

- This is not remotely close to a SWG 2.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Swanea

Gotta agree with rahn or rohn about what he said. 

The people that bash a game are equal to those that say a game is amazing at this point in a games development.  How can you KNOW a game is so amazing? How can you say, as a fact, that the game is terrible?  Yet we have people on both sides saying that.  Do I want to play TOR? Shoure. It's bioware so I will give them a chance.  But I won't come here saying this is a wow killer, or the best game ever, or that this is the cutting edge game.

I agree. Now tell me where you see 3/4 of a page on here full of threads saying how wonderful this game is going to be vs the number of threads saying this game is going to suck. Prove it. I bet you can't. Because 3/4 of the threads on here are talking about how this game is going to suck.

Why would I need to do that?

Any hate post is full of just as many people who are as blinded by their love of the game. Go check every hate thread. Tell me how you missed that? Or is that part of being so blinded? Prove it, I bet you can't!! :P :P  Two can play that game!

Anyways, I have high hopes for TOR, I want to play it, and I will play it.  But again, I will not say "TOR IS THE BEST GAME EVER", or "TOR IS THE WORST GAME EVER", or any other sort of variation.  I hope the game will be good, because I enjoy Star Wars, and I enjoy Bioware games that I have played.  Could it be the next game Messiah? Shoure. Could it be the next Warhammer/AoC That dies after a few weeks? It shoure could!

Originally posted by Moirae

Gotta agree with rahn or rohn about what he said. 

The people that bash a game are equal to those that say a game is amazing at this point in a games development.  How can you KNOW a game is so amazing? How can you say, as a fact, that the game is terrible?  Yet we have people on both sides saying that.  Do I want to play TOR? Shoure. It's bioware so I will give them a chance.  But I won't come here saying this is a wow killer, or the best game ever, or that this is the cutting edge game.

I agree. Now tell me where you see 3/4 of a page on here full of threads saying how wonderful this game is going to be vs the number of threads saying this game is going to suck. Prove it. I bet you can't. Because 3/4 of the threads on here are talking about how this game is going to suck.

Why would I need to do that?

Any hate post is full of just as many people who are as blinded by their love of the game. Go check every hate thread. Tell me how you missed that? Or is that part of being so blinded? Prove it, I bet you can't!! :P :P  Two can play that game!

Anyways, I have high hopes for TOR, I want to play it, and I will play it.  But again, I will not say "TOR IS THE BEST GAME EVER", or "TOR IS THE WORST GAME EVER", or any other sort of variation.  I hope the game will be good, because I enjoy Star Wars, and I enjoy Bioware games that I have played.  Could it be the next game Messiah? Shoure. Could it be the next Warhammer/AoC That dies after a few weeks? It shoure could!

I disagree, none of the regulars are claiming this game to be a blessing to the MMO genre. They have actually been saying nothing more then it looks good and it appeals to them. What you have seen is vets wanting SWG2 and your typical trolls trolling. I have seen the "ToR will be the best" posts, but they come from people that don't frequent this forum or have a post count of 1-5. Even then, they're far from matching the troll posts as far as numbers go.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

SWTOR= single player story driven RPG...with an online connection to be able to group IF you really want to, and trade, chat etc...made by Bioware so its a quality game but not a mmorpg...thats all

Show me big battles, show me the need to group with players not bots, show me non instanced gigantic zones, show me minimal instancing even with all that fully voiced crap and story driven and it will me called a mmorpg.

Either you like it or you dont..

A real mmorpg is a game like, Darkfall, Ryzom,Vanguard and many others...

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Why in gods green earth would you go and name 3 games on life support (one's been necroed before) to try and solidify you point? If those 3 games are representative of what you want out of MMOs (tainted fail) I am very happy to report that you won't like TOR.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Looking forward to the game. As long as the end game isn't a raid treadmill it should be worth trying.

• shadowanubisshadowanubis Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Pocahinha

SWTOR= single player story driven RPG...with an online connection to be able to group IF you really want to, and trade, chat etc...made by Bioware so its a quality game but not a mmorpg...thats all
    Show me big battles, show me the need to group with players not bots, show me non instanced gigantic zones, show me minimal instancing even with all that fully voiced crap and story driven and it will me called a mmorpg.

Either you like it or you dont..

Obviously you've read nothing about this game. You can only have 1 companion at a time, not a team of NPC's like so many people are talking about. The Companion is there to make soloing easier if you're having problems. There are going to be raids and instances alongside the flashpoint like any other successful mmo has. The real mmo's you've listed, especially Vanguard are huge failures, HUGE failures. However it will have an open world like WoW (Easiest to compare it to) and is going to have large scale pvp, this is all said in interviews with people from bioware. So Pocahinha= idiot who posts on subjects he knows nothing about.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Anyone else bummed about this game? 
    I've known for a long time it was going to be more like WoW than SWG and that it was going to be more small group/single player centric game for a long time. But still, my personal hype has gone from a 10 to a 6 back to a 8 and now it's back under 4 with the recent news that's came out about this game.
    It's Bioware, but c'mon. This game looks like it's going to be bad.... real bad. I'm still going to buy it when it launches (unless I get a closed beta), but I really don't have high hopes for it. I'm just going to buy it because it is Bioware and I still have a small bit of hope for the game being a good play, whether or not it's a real MMO or a GW/DDO instanced multiplayer game.
    The first time my hype for this game dropped, was when they went on for months about it being fully voiced. I mean, that's cool and all but they were hyping that aspect of it for a long long time... which kinda raised flags. Then recently, when some new gameplay vids came out and some new information came out, I started thinking that it might actually be a good game. But, now with the new classes and how they are setup, it pretty much hits my blog dead on and I don't like that. I just want to play someone in the world, not a Jedi. Honestly, I thought they were going to throw in some new classes and not base the game off the movies. The pre-KoToR lore is pretty deep and has alot more variety to the things people have done. They could have easily hit on some of that.

Mostly just seems like you want SWG-pre NGE II.  Nothing wrong with that, I would have liked a game like that too.  However, this is Bioware... and so you should have pretty much flushed that concept down the toilet a long time ago.  They will stick to what they do well, which is storytelling on rails.

It's going to be a good game.  I have no doubt about that.  It is honestly the first game I've actually felt might be able to take a decent chunk of out WoW.  It's got the production value, its got the IP, its got the talent....  but if Bioware had tried to make a sandboxy open-world type of game.  Then I have no doubt it would have been subpar.  That's just not their specialty.  Bioware games are all about making you hero of the universe.  About making you feel like your writing the story.  As long as they play to their strengths the game will be solid.

Take the game for what it is.  Not for what you'd rather it be.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I agree with the OP. To me from what I've seen online so far for this game it looks like just another Republic game with online capabilities(achievements, ranks, stats). I might pick it up on Steam when it gets marked down.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111

I was an old swg person and I thought the CU was bad but not game breaking...then the NGE hit and boom. I have gone back 4 times and only subbed a month each time. LA just wanted a simple easy game and they got it. Well now LA working with the Empire is seemingly going to put out a simple mind numbing game. I loved KOTOR and KOTOR 2 but even they had a depth issue but in an MMO it would be ridiculous. The video of the smug kind of proves it..."HERE LOOK AT THIS LIFE SIZE GLOWY THINGY yes that is where you can find cover you know one of the 15 huge glowy thingys around the field." Crap on a stick is what it looks like so far. Now I of course will refrain from saying it will be until 3 or 4 months after launch but imho so far I am not even going to look at my wallet when it drops.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by RansomDenton
    I was an old swg person and I thought the CU was bad but not game breaking...then the NGE hit and boom. I have gone back 4 times and only subbed a month each time. LA just wanted a simple easy game and they got it. Well now LA working with the Empire is seemingly going to put out a simple mind numbing game. I loved KOTOR and KOTOR 2 but even they had a depth issue but in an MMO it would be ridiculous. The video of the smug kind of proves it..."HERE LOOK AT THIS LIFE SIZE GLOWY THINGY yes that is where you can find cover you know one of the 15 huge glowy thingys around the field." Crap on a stick is what it looks like so far. Now I of course will refrain from saying it will be until 3 or 4 months after launch but imho so far I am not even going to look at my wallet when it drops.

This post 4channed:

Bitter SWG vet is bitter.

In other news, the Sky...it is indeed blue.

Originally posted by RansomDenton

The video of the smug kind of proves it..."HERE LOOK AT THIS LIFE SIZE GLOWY THINGY yes that is where you can find cover you know one of the 15 huge glowy thingys around the field.".
    Holy shit, yeah BioWare u fkn noobz y u do this?
    SM: "(first I'm going to shoot that Jedi in the face run for that tree drop a flashbomb kite him to that downed building and lay behind that wall owning him)"
    20 sec later
    SM: "WHY CAN'T I COVER HERE?! THEY NEED SOMETHING TO SHOW ME WHAT'S INTERACTIVE AS COVER"

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

This post 4channed:
    Bitter SWG vet is bitter.
    In other news, the Sky...it is indeed blue.

Honestly I gave up on bitterness a long time ago regarding SWG and since I have worked in the industry I offered the comment as someone who thinks the NGE was like a Jonas Brothers concert. I think SWG is still fun at some level but the depth is gone and the hand holding is immense. This just seems to be a running theme in LA games and many games for that matter. I do agree some games should be PvP, some PvE some a mixture some deep and thought provoking and some just fun. My ultimate point is a critisism of the game and not bitterness. Telling me with giant blue glowy things does not make me work ofr or think but just take Mommy's hand and follow. Producers are so much focused on the "bottom line" that milestones and release dates and sales far out rank complex deep gaming. I believe EA's CEO John Riccitiello said it best: "Anything that doesn't measure up to be in a very high profit contributor and unit seller got cut from this point going forward.".

In other news EA purchases Playfish for 300 million dollars...yes the sky is indeed black. Drop Warhammer for Country Story because it's hot. Until producers and the money suits get back out of games they will be Jonas Brothers...the MMO.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

SWTOR is slowly starting to shape up like Borderlands. I hope I am wrong, tho.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

It seems like most people are "disappointed" with games for NOT being a clone of some other MMO they once loved.  It's odd that someone would decry a game for being a WoW clone and in the same post complain that it isn't an SWG clone.  I'd rather it be a clone of nothing... as much as I enjoyed SWG, the game that made me love MMOs to begin with, I understand that there is a reason I am not still playing it. 

What i do know is that I have never played a Bioware game I didn't enjoy.  I absolutely loved their previous Star Wars games, as well as Mass Effect and Dragon Age.  I don't insist that this game have any certain list of features... as long as it's good.  Lets try to judge it based on what it is, rather than what it isn't.

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

I was an adherent and follower of SWG, loyal til the day it died for me. That 15th of November will I never forget.

I am also a huge Bioware fan, have enjoyed anything they have touched including things they consulted on or were based on their properties and or engines.

And to be honest I am one of the few middle grounder MMO players. I enjoy each game for what it is, never trying to force my ideal game upon developers, I either enjoy their product or I do not. And I enjoy all spectrums of MMO gaming from Sandbox, to Themepark, PvP to PvE, RvR to FFA, and RPing all the while.

I am eagerly awaiting this game, with bated breath. OP, all I can suggest is instead of looking for SWG Pre NGE 2.0, look for a game that you enjoy for what it is. Wishing a developer like Bioware would make a game like one put out by Bethseda (comparing RPG developers here) is just silly, Bioware will do what they do best, and they will adapt it to make a great MMO in the process.

I'd drop $399.99 for a lifetime on TOR, right this minute and I'd buy two copies. So to answer the thread poll, no you are not alone, but neither are we who are excited alone. Bioware cannot please everyone so they are trying to please those who enjoy their style of gaming, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Alexis

*smiles*

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

It seems like most people are "disappointed" with games for NOT being a clone of some other MMO they once loved.  It's odd that someone would decry a game for being a WoW clone and in the same post complain that it isn't an SWG clone.  I'd rather it be a clone of nothing... as much as I enjoyed SWG, the game that made me love MMOs to begin with, I understand that there is a reason I am not still playing it. 
    What i do know is that I have never played a Bioware game I didn't enjoy.  I absolutely loved their previous Star Wars games, as well as Mass Effect and Dragon Age.  I don't insist that this game have any certain list of features... as long as it's good.  Lets try to judge it based on what it is, rather than what it isn't.

It's not the fact that Bioware makes great games, we all know that.

It's that they are pushing into a new genre here, and MMO genre, and while we want innovation, you must still have elements that make MMO's present. All the things we are seeing will make SWTOR a GREAT RPG, but it's MMO aspects are lacking greatly. Yes, people say that we still know little about this game. Well out of all of the thing Bioware has told us, 10% of it related to MMO. Some of the great MMORPGs of the past, we knew the backbone of the multiplayer elements YEARS before the game surfaced.

All I am saying is that I am an MMO fan more than a SW fan. I don't care what IP name you bring in, good or bad, we will be more than happy to welcome in any title that calls itself an MMO, just as long as it's an MMO. Bioware knows what the fans are looking for, it can be easily quelched by a few statements. But they are not doing so...

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Yet another doom and gloom thread. Boring........

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH fires plungers at Ops nut sack)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

All I have to say, is this post is great.  Nothing else much needs to be said.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

I have a feeling this game is going to be all about content. Stuff that is only enjoyable or interesting a couple times and players will keep playing so long as Bioware can keep pumping out new quests planets and items to keep players busy. Whether you can solo most of it or do it with friends won't change this.

I'm not saying this is bad but it will take up a lot of work and possibly leave the game looking shallow to certain people. Most casual gamers will lap it up though.

Perhaps the biggest worry should be how fast Bioware can work. Their games are great but that's probably because they take the time to polish them. Can they keep up with gamers who will be demanding more and more.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Looking forward to it. Even if I only get a few months out of it is still more than i get out of most games. Looking forward to actually doing quests with a good story behind it.