Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underrated games that provide a whole new experience

Comments

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204

I didn't see Dragonica in the original list.

It offers a very unique experience, and even forces grouping depending on your profession!

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Originally posted by johnmatthais

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Went through list today and here's what i have:
    Ace online -nah
    Hmm, i don't believe there's any other action space shooters and its the most suggested game for its type.

It just doesn't fit with the feeling of the rest of the games listed imo...idk why...maybe a 3rd opinion could change my mind. *shrugs*
    WWll - agreed
    cities XL - agreed
    dragonica - not even close to the games I made this thread for lol
    --Meh, the combat system hasnt been done before unless you count maplestory and its a fairly good casual game but i guess its too popular.
    -Way too popular. =]
    fasaria world - waiting to see if it ever gets re-released before I add it
    gatheryn - agreed
    rakion - nope. it was and probably still is pretty popular
    --Really? whenever i played there were no more than 200 people on the server
    -It's been dubbed the most hacked game in history. It has to have some amount of popularity, lol. Plus, if that's indeed the case, it's not a game I want to push for players. xD
    pirates of the burning sea - up for debate. once again, the terrible balance between pirates and the British could make it not so much what I was going for. it's more just a terribly unbalanced game than underrated. opinions?
    --Well i think this game was just killed by people expecting too much, ye huge changes happened but its still a unique game.
    -True...but still, I can't help but think poor design choices killed it more than it's just an underrated game. Past subscribers would probably agree.
    luminary - again, up for debate. I'm not sure if it's underrated or just a poorly done game. if someone with more experience with it could confirm, that would be great.
    --I don't believe its a poorly done game, alot of the reviews have been more than positive but the game still has around 500 players.
    -Eh, maybe not poorly done, but aimed at the wrong crowd? Idk. When I played it felt like it had great ideas but none were implemented very well.
    istaria - agreed
    mabinogi - not really
    --Hmm im not sure why, it has a classless system and many great sandbox elemtens
    -Most everyone knows the name.
    regnum [debatable but ye] - nope haha
    --Yeh i only put it up because many daoc vets play it and it has half decent RVR.
    -Settled to stay off, I guess.
    spellborn - nope. since it went F2P, it's nowhere close to underrated. it's fully realized it's player base.
    --I would disagree, the main reason spellborn couldnt get good sub numbers was due to the lack of advertizing and people knowign about the game. I still see threads of people saying how they couldve missed such a wonderful game
    -Alright, in that case I'll probably end up putting it up. Still, I can't help but feel most know the name now. God knows most here do. It was posted in the majority of LFG threads for 2 months.
    --Those are some i actually respect and found fairly fun to suggest to others.
    As for review on ghostX: Why its unique? Ever remember going to the arcade and playing games till your pocket money was gone? Well this time you can play for free. The game has a very arcade style gameplay, its really an action MMO. Besides combat there's some fairly fun quests to do but there not out of the ordinary and can get repetive. The game is a grind based game as many others of its kind, but if you want to just log in smash some things around and go to your daily routine its an excellent game.
    Also i kinda feel sorry i can't help you out with more descriptions, when i saw this thread i was thinking of going full out but time is too tight right now. Hate the before Christmas pressure =(

It's all good Gabby. I'll get to work adding all of those that I accepted in and hope that people can give me confirmation on whether or not the ones up for debate belong on such a list.

I'm looking for good/innovative games that are underplayed or simply games that offer a play style that requires a drastically  that require a different style of thinking that are again underplayed.

It's about games that never really hit the spotlight and/or never really realized the player base they could have had with a bit more publicity. That's why I rejected so many of those. ;)

--Don't take my posts as attacks, i just wanted to know why the games weren't considered.

Haven and hearth along with dawntide might also be good candidates. Also in my opinion every single sandbox game should be on the list, as a sandbox fan im always disappointed at how great games are played by so little people. Besides eve and lately fallen earth, other sandbox games are really never heard of...i would even say those two could have alot more sub numbers.

-Fallen Earth isn't quite a sandbox. After playing for a year and a half, my opinion is pretty much solid on that. =]

-EvE isn't close to underrated though. It has one of the higher sub rates of any MMO out currently.

-Haven and Hearth is a good idea.

-Dawntide is too early to tell. It could have a huge jump in popularity nearer to release when more content is in.

LEXIS! See the above discussion, lol.

Gabby, what's your opinion on putting Golemizer on the list?

EDIT: It should be noted that games like Mytheon could be taken off the list closer to release. The only reason it's there right now is because 1. It's different and 2. Even with closed beta coming soon, there are still only about 20 regulars on the forum and there aren't people bouncing up and down asking to get in. There were a few with invite issues, but they disappeared right after it was resolved.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Well fallen earth being a sandbox is debatable but i would say its still worth it to go on the list, only true mutant bashing game we have XD. As for golemizer, yes definitely cant believe i missed it, it really is a great game.

Alright, I'll be adding the games we've agreed on as soon as I can tomorrow. Until then, I'm going to bed, then school, lol.

Hoping for more suggestions for when I come back!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

You could also check out warrior epic and crimecraft, both have potential to be great games and are still very fun to play but ye devs taking bad steps do lower the number of player significantly.

• VolstagVolstag Member Posts: 25

Wow for one day this list has surely expanded. Plenty of games to try out. I'm downloading Face of Mankind now and I might just try to play Wurm. I've come close to playing it many times but never bothered. Third times the charm. =)

Also This list is great would love to see it stickyed!

EDIT: and i just realised it was. Wow i'm slow. lol

Playing

uhhh... dang.

Originally posted by Volstag

Wow for one day this list has surely expanded. Plenty of games to try out. I'm downloading Face of Mankind now and I might just try to play Wurm. I've come close to playing it many times but never bothered. Third times the charm. =)
    Also This list is great would love to see it stickyed!
     EDIT: and i just realised it was. Wow i'm slow. lol

Lol, yeah, I'm pretty honored that it actually got stickied. =]

Working on adding: WWII Online, Cities XL, Gatheryn, Istaria, Spellborn, and Golemizer.

Any more suggestions?

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Darkfall? 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I saw what you said in 3rd page so for you to add it in the list:

Ace online is a great flying mmorpg and you can go out of the plane, level and change parts :D It's pretty underrated and not that popular but still not a bad game.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Ace online is a great flying mmorpg and you can go out of the plane, level and change parts :D It's pretty underrated and not that popular but still not a bad game.

Accepted! Want me to use that as a description?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Accepted! Want me to use that as a description?

Sure hehe I gave a brief explanation but it should be enough :P

Originally posted by SignusM

Darkfall? 

Eh, no. It is well known by the MMO community by now, and not often for good reasons.

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by TheHatter

You should check out Hostile Space. it's an older but unique game made by one guy. I heard it's changed since I played, but it had some really good fundamental ideas about leveling, races, and classes. I hooked me for quite a while, till it became a boring mat farmer. It's been about 4 - 6yrs since I Played, but it's still Exists.
    Really great thread btw. Any true gamer should start checking out some of the games you listed, I know I will. Some of the smaller games can be really inspiring, even if they can't keep your attention long.

I used to play Hostile Space YEARS ago it is really good.

Originally posted by Jothmein

I used to play Hostile Space YEARS ago it is really good.

After personally playing it the other day, I have to say that it does have a familiar addiction factor. =]

Thinking about adding Afterworld. Opinions?

• VolstagVolstag Member Posts: 25

Hmmm i may have a suggestion, its called Aces High 2 its a WW2 flying MMO. I haven't played it in years but it still seems to be active. I believe it was Advertised on the History Channel at some point.

Might as well give it a look.

Playing

uhhh... dang.

Originally posted by Volstag

Hmmm i may have a suggestion, its called Aces High 2 its a WW2 flying MMO. I haven't played it in years but it still seems to be active. I believe it was Advertised on the History Channel at some point.
    Might as well give it a look.

I'll give it a look. I wasn't aware it was an MMO though. ;)

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Lexiscat

I didn't see Dragonica in the original list.

It offers a very unique experience, and even forces grouping depending on your profession!

Agreed. It's a neat twist on MMOs gaming. A unique arcade-like gameplay with a whole different approach to doing dungeons/raids. Dragonica is one I really think belongs on that list.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Brilliant Thread. Well done.

I'll suggest the two that I keep in my sig:  Infinity: The Quest for Earth www.infinity-universe.com/

The guy developing this game is something of a prodigy.  A procedurally generated galaxy, with planets that have no transition screens (fly directly from space to ground), fps-style combat, simulator-style flight, community created content...a lot of fantastic things to keep an eye on. 

and

Force of Arms www.forceofarms.com/index.php

The Mech MMORPG.  What more needs be said?  The Dragon Con Trailer is decent.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Reading through that first post again and I really want to thank you for creating this list. It's a great resource for those that want to try something different.

Nice work!

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

Thanks Lynx and Cerion! =D

...and Lynx, as far as Dragonica goes, it definitely gets too many players to be considered underrated lol.

Oh and Cerion, I'll look into adding those. Infinity should probably be put on the list. 

Force of Arms I'll have to look into more. How about Perpetuum though? =]

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Thanks Lynx and Cerion! =D
    ...and Lynx, as far as Dragonica goes, it definitely gets too many players to be considered underrated lol.
    Oh and Cerion, I'll look into adding those. Infinity should probably be put on the list. 
    Force of Arms I'll have to look into more. How about Perpetuum though? =]

Hadn't heard of Perpetuum. Thanks for that!  However, there are key differences between Perpetuum and Force of Arms. FoA allows humans to pilot Mechs whereas it seems in Perpetuum, the 'Mechs' are actually sentient robots.  FoA will support cockpit views. In fact, once piloting the Mech, I believe that is the ONLY view you have.  Also with FoA avatar-centric model, you can also be an infantry man on the battle field and go up against Mechs if you can get enough squishies to join you.

But that's not to take anything away from Perpetuum!  With my brief investigation of the game it looks fabulous as well -- deformable terrain, complex economy, dynamic resources.  I'm definitely watching this game.

Also, as a side note to others reading this post -- Presumably you're looking for something different, something innovative.  I urge everyone reading this to pick an Indie game -- any Indie game that impresses you -- and support it!  I myself play a AAA title and an Indie.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• karmaesokarmaeso Member Posts: 34

I actually started playing FoM before you mentioned it in this thread, hah. It's actually really good. I'd like to warn those willing to try it, however, that the players really get into the game. Factions are everything here, so choose wisely... You can even become the law in the game and arrest people!

Also, it might be necessary to note that you can, if not careful, die permanently. It's nothing you couldn't handle, by having a simple upkeep in clones(the lives of the game, it automatically warns you when you start getting low), but still. All in all, great game though! 

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Might want to add http://www.linkrealms.com/, I am really looking forward to that one. It is going to involve the players building parts of the world.

Cerion, nice. I tried out the FoA tech demo a while ago and can't say I was impressed with what they've done. For having such a platform and I think working on the game for 3 (4?) years, they hardly have anything done yet. The feature list is impressive, and it sounds right up my alley (I used to be a HUGE Dark Horizons fan) but it doesn't seem to have anything getting done on it.

As far as Perpetuum goes, I'm watching as well. It's all I can do. No CB for me. :<

Oh and qombi, I was going to add that but totally forgot. Thanks. =D