Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Episode Missions in Ask Cryptic #17

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The 17th installment of the Star Trek Online "Ask Cryptic" Q&A series is now available on the official Star Trek Online website. This latest entries topic is focused on the game's Episode Missions.

Read below to find out whether or not your actions will have consequences from one episode to the next:

bassman631: Will our actions in one episode have consequences that carry over into other episodes and content throughout or later on in the game?

In a way. Many of the Episodes in the game are related to one another either directly or indirectly. Some of our Episodes are fun one-offs just like in the shows, but many of them are related to one or more of the major plots and themes that drive the story of our universe. You'll see results of your previous actions and even recurring characters later down the line. But seasons don't have multiple endings based on your actions in individual Episodes.

To find out more about Episode Missions, read the full Ask Cryptic here.

Comments

• Burngrass99Burngrass99 Member Posts: 45

i just remember the previous movie what was the name of the character played by harold on the movie harold and Kumar on this star trek movie?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

when are we going to start getting good information unstead of the same old thing.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by erictlewis

when are we going to start getting good information unstead of the same old thing.

Could be the same old thing is the only good information available.

I'm keeping an eye on this game, but I fear that it won't have enough testing time and be released pre-maturely, leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Well,

I've been following this title since it was announced with Perpetual Entertainment years ago. To be honest they've made alot of progress, and from what ive seen its more 'complete' than alot of other mmo's when first realised. It'll do okay, there is supposed to be something for everyone, PVP, PVE, with the exploration content, which im eager to try, i only fear that one side of the content so to speak, will recieve more polish than the other. 

I like how they are passing out more episodes every three to four months. Thats not bad time. I think i read somewhere that its three or four chapters at launch, with something along the lines of 15-22 episodes per chapter, or series, whatever they want to call them. They are supposed to be roughly an hour long each. Consisting of five acts, which act as checkpoints should you wish to put the game down for the night, so you dont have to start over. I could be wrong, but i think cryptic may have gotten the line between game, and simulation just right. Just got to wait and see.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Great, another single player story line in an MMORPG.

STO sounds worse the closer you get to release. Eve will still be undisputed nr 1 space-sci-fi MMORPG after this debacle is released. STO seems to do the same misstake as Champions Online, by isolating people in solo-episodes, thus leading to almost noone grouping.

I dont think Cryptic understands the concept of MMORPG. Their view seem to be:

Single player game with a monthly fee.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Except the fact that its stated you can group with upto four more people. So, no its not really a single player game at all. It just gives you the option.

I play EvE currently, and it has 'alot' of flaws, its still good, but to say it'll be the undisputed space mmo out there is pushing it abit too far from the boat. The trouble is, the game has its rewards, but the community, although helpful at times, and i mean at times, tend to be so wrapped up in what their doing, that new players get the test trial and get lost in the confusion. The PvP ive observed, although looking impressive, you lack control on your ships weapons and the direction in which your ship actually flys. It can also only exist on gate camping, meeting alot of warheads when you arrive in a new system. (Funny the first few times, but after a while....ugh.) Campers will always exist, but EvE invite it with the current system.

Star trek no doubt will have its flaws, but it will not isolate players. For starters, you can get out of your ship. (Yes i know EvE plan to fix it, but they've been saying that forever, and still no cake.) Theres places from the shows people will 'lurk' about at, exploring. You will no doubt be surrounded by other players (officers, whatever.) in dock, and familiar systems like Earth. Now if i went by what people say, i would never have touched EvE. Maybe you should give the beta a go? Might like it. I dont mean that sarcastically its a real suggestion. Nothing says you can play both. Maybe there good points will make up for each others bad points.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Burngrass99

i just remember the previous movie what was the name of the character played by harold on the movie harold and Kumar on this star trek movie?

Sulu.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• trnqlChaostrnqlChaos Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Maverz290

Well,

I've been following this title since it was announced with Perpetual Entertainment years ago. To be honest they've made alot of progress, and from what ive seen its more 'complete' than alot of other mmo's when first realised. It'll do okay, there is supposed to be something for everyone, PVP, PVE, with the exploration content, which im eager to try, i only fear that one side of the content so to speak, will recieve more polish than the other. 

Me too, and I agree. With PE's direction it would have been a total disaster if it ever launched; they seemed more interested in Gods and Heroes than a well-known IP with a huge following. Cryptic has benefited by being able to use the same engine in Champions Online and STO. The time they saved building the engine went into design. I have to imagine that extra time will translate to more content at launch than most MMOs.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Originally posted by trnqlChaos  

Me too, and I agree. With PE's direction it would have been a total disaster if it ever launched; they seemed more interested in Gods and Heroes than a well-known IP with a huge following. Cryptic has benefited by being able to use the same engine in Champions Online and STO. The time they saved building the engine went into design. I have to imagine that extra time will translate to more content at launch than most MMOs.

I'm not sure benefitted is the right word.  It will help them get it out the door faster and that's it.  Rather than take the time "saved" by using a pre-existing engine to better the game they just seem to want to release it.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.