Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape players leaving?

bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116

I noticed that on the runescape website the amount of players online has fallen by erm 100k? o.O I remember a  year ago (or a few) at peak hours there was around 270k players online. In the last few weeks I have not seen it hit 200k number.... anyone care to explain why this sudden drop in player numbers?

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

It is because players realized they turned the game into a kiddie turnstall instead of focusing on their core player base.  What Jagex failed to realize before they did this is that runs players off rather than increases their numbers. Their attempt at competing in the kiddie market has one major flaw. Their game does not keep the attention span  of kids. They are competing head on not only with computer based games, but with Wii Xbox360 and PS3, and their slow unrewarding style gameplay cannot survive in that market. Kids want a " quick fix" and there is nothing " quick " about Runescape. It is slow, repetitive, and unrewarding. More piuishment, less reward. You spend most of the time in the game waiting for things to happen.. kids do not like to wait long for anything.

Rather than tweaking and building on their concepts to build a better MMO, they chose to go the " junior MMO route", running off the adult players.

Runescape the MMO for kids

• keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

Well most of the users there were auto bots - mostly from China. Yes they did lose subscriptions when they took care of bots and RWT , The game is stuck at around 150k-165k in weekends, but i have a feeling that number will go up.

Originally posted by kesleri

Well most of the users there were auto bots - mostly from China. Yes they did lose subscriptions when they took care of bots and RWT , The game is stuck at around 150k-165k in weekends, but i have a feeling that number will go up.

I am sorry, but your information is false. According to their own data charts on unique users, They have a separate line on the graph that shows that the actual number of programs accessing their client only slightly declined, and the number of unique users( actual separate players from different IP's) sharply dropped over 4m.  Someone posted this graph on here a while back, but I am too lazy to go look it up again. you can check Jagex Coorporate data sight and find it yourself.

The reason why The bots and RWT did not decline as predicted was that the account training services and selling of fully loaded accounts increased at the same time as the updates were implemented. This requires programs and 3rd party RMT to spend more time, not less logged into game in order to sell fully loaded accounts. You are incorrect.

Where am i wrong ? I play RuneScape daily and i know how high the player activity is . And yes i do believe it will go up, because the numbers have been constant for 4 months. 

Besides you can't know how reliable your source can be - involving traffic measurement and that sort of thing , the true numbers are behind Jagex's computers and probably they feel better to keep that number for themselves, since they don't really care about shares going up or down .

If they would have cared about the money, they would've pleased the players which rant to this day - pointing at you :D - about the PvP and Trade updates :)

• pineaple13pineaple13 Member Posts: 1

Me and a bunch of my friends used to play a few yrs ago, but everyone is quitting due to when u get to a high lvl,u notice its all the same thing. you can do pretty much 2 things:lvl any skill or try and fail to make money. also the graphics suck especially when it takes 5 min 2 load the game sometimes.

New content has been added since then, i recommend you check RuneScape again. And my load time is less then 15 seconds.

Where am i wrong ? I play RuneScape daily and i know how high the player activity is . And yes i do believe it will go up, because the numbers have been constant for 4 months. 
    Besides you can't know how reliable your source can be - involving traffic measurement and that sort of thing , the true numbers are behind Jagex's computers and probably they feel better to keep that number for themselves, since they don't really care about shares going up or down .
    If they would have cared about the money, they would've pleased the players which rant to this day - pointing at you :D - about the PvP and Trade updates :)

The number is incorrect due to the number of programs logged in to the actual client. The number is inflated due to the number of programs logged in (aka. account training services or account training programs or [bots]. Even though they are higher level bots than you saw before, they are still bots according to the data sheets.

The loss in players is from actual unique users ( real players) and yes, they should rant because many players spent money, and years of playing into this game only to have them decide they were going to turn it into a kiddie turnstall by lifting the under 13 age restriction, abd create a new framework to target the childrens market. Not only did they make huge changes in the game to target children, they actively promoted it ias a "Junior MMO"  a kiddie game in the gaming market to attract young children.

This move to ignore their core player base and target children sadly backfired in the number of subscriptions they thought they would gain vs the number they lost.

Further reading in these forums  in regards to player count:

Jagex: How long have they lied? - Simiswimm ( former Runescape mod)

how accurate are rs current player stats? -savagegoose

Runescape - Online players atm ? - kesleri ( you forget about this?) lol

Yea well the number has been constant :p i was pretty upset about the update back then too :D

• skankovichskankovich Member Posts: 2

the runescape killer was the removal of free trade and the classic wilderness.  once the only two features that all of the intelligent and mature players enjoyed, they left...leaving 200,000 retarded, whining children to destroy an already mediocre game at best.  pvp minigames are semi-fun, but if your new the game is not worth getting the levels up.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Sure they weren't Decepticons?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Activity will go up over the christmas holidays, it does everywhere.  But overall they are loosing people I think, their website hits have been dropping for a while, Mechscape got canned and FunOrb wasn't exactly a massive success.

Look here: http://www.peekstats.com/www.runescape.com

and here: http://www.peekstats.com/www.funorb.com