Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New record...

OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

...tonight.

# 54,181 pilots online at 20:26 GMT on 6 Dec 2009

Old:

# 53,850 pilots online at 20:29 GMT on 15 Mar 2009

# 51,675 pilots online at 19:52 GMT on 8 Feb 2009

# 48,065 pilots online at 20:17 GMT on 18 Jan 2009

# 47,207 pilots online at 19:54 GMT on 11 Jan 2009

# 45,186 pilots online at 20:41 GMT on 4 Jan 2009

# 43,697 pilots online at 20:25 GMT on 21 Dec 2008

# 42,711 pilots online at 19:51 GMT on 9 Mar 2008

Edit: Pasted the numbers.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Also: record lag in 9-2  :grrr:

EDIT: Lag was bad but managable. INIT + TRI  + WN gave the NC a wicked spanking in 9-2/H-PA

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Was pretty amazed really and didn't expect it. I saw it a 52k once today. Not sure if it's dominion, the holidays, or both.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

anyone else notice the 10k jump from march 08 to march 09? Eve seems to be growing at a great amount of speed. Wonder if we will see another 10k jump in december of 2010. Actually i'm sure we will if CCP hits their mark for incarna for a next year release.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

anyone else notice the 10k jump from march 08 to march 09? Eve seems to be growing at a great amount of speed. Wonder if we will see another 10k jump in december of 2010. Actually i'm sure we will if CCP hits their mark for incarna for a next year release.

Judging by the posts I've seen on this forum as well as others, ambulation will draw a LOT of people into at least giving EvE a try. Personally I'm rather looking forward to it - since I enjoy the game anyway, at worst it will be a gimmick I can mostly ignore; at best it will add a whole new dimension to the game.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by tvalentine

Judging by the posts I've seen on this forum as well as others, ambulation will draw a LOT of people into at least giving EvE a try. Personally I'm rather looking forward to it - since I enjoy the game anyway, at worst it will be a gimmick I can mostly ignore; at best it will add a whole new dimension to the game.

For those who have no idea what Ambulation means, it means "To walk".

I completely agree with you Malcanis. When they add ambulation to the game, I will play it more then I do now. I really enjoy the idea of the game, I enjoy the UI and the mechanics, but I really wish I could walk around in the hangars and whatnot. I would love to have an avatar, more then just a little picture of my character in the corner of my screen.

I believe that with the addition of being able to walk in the game, it will make the community all the larger.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

The planetary conquest feature will bring in quite a few simcity, Civ4 nuts as well.

Incarna will makes Eves population explode and once dust is out you will have a whole mess of console only players that are tempted to try out Eve on PC to see the other side of the universe.

Imo in two years eve could be over 500k subs easily.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by metalhead980

The planetary conquest feature will bring in quite a few simcity, Civ4 nuts as well.
    Incarna will makes Eves population explode and once dust is out you will have a whole mess of console only players that are tempted to try out Eve on PC to see the other side of the universe.
    Imo in two years eve could be over 500k subs easily.

This game is gonna explode if it isnt already. This games potiential just keeps getting better. I was on during that time. it was great to see that many players online! If CCp would just release WOD or start making it this company's profits will go thru the roof!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to CCP)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Well like I said earlier, I really like the idea of the game. I enjoy playing it from time to time, but the ability to walk around in it would probably make it my main game once that's released. I really enjoy sandboxes for their freedom and the ability to walk in this game would bring in so many people. A lot of people really like to customize their characters, armor, etc. I just think that patch would make such a difference in the number of subscriptions.

The thing is, the majority of the complaints, if not the only main complaint I ever see is that people, "don't like being a ship." Some make the argument that you are not just a ship but you are what you make of yourself & your reputation. At the end of the day you never see your "character", so in a way you really are... just a ship. The ability to move about, see your character, etc. Well that would just address the main concern to people who like EVE but are hung up on that one tiny "problem'.

This is just my observation.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

not convinced. anyone who isnt playing eve because they cant walk around would probably last at most a week.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Xennith

not convinced. anyone who isnt playing eve because they cant walk around would probably last at most a week.

I understand what you're saying, and I would tend to agree, but if they do a really good job of it who knows?  It may surprise all of us.  With a game as epic as EVE, I'm hoping for the best.

Acidon

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

You could run all kinds of shops in Eve stations. Is it so hard to believe that someone may want to just be a shop owner?

With stations also comes new production skills for captains quarters decorations.

Shit, I know a guy that will play Eve once Incarna hits just for the boardgame and gambling.

Think planetary conquest wont have players just logging in to mess with their controlled regions on planets?

Eve is gonna blow up. CCP is creating alternate ways to play a EVE as we speak and there will be many people playing only for those features.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You could run all kinds of shops in Eve stations. Is it so hard to believe that someone may want to just be a shop owner?

With stations also comes new production skills for captains quarters decorations.

Shit, I know a guy that will play Eve once Incarna hits just for the boardgame and gambling.

Think planetary conquest wont have players just logging in to mess with their controlled regions on planets?

Eve is gonna blow up. CCP is creating alternate ways to play a EVE as we speak and there will be many people playing only for those features.

I concur.  I do think there's a potential base of customers that would really enjoy EVE if it just had some avatars that they could relate to.

Think something so "silly" isn't important?  I generally won't play MMO's that don't have jumping in them.  Now that's much more shallow but still I tend to not give them a fair chance if that mechanic is missing.

Yes, CCP has the power to take this game to 500K easy if they play their cards right.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Im planning on becoming a Furniture Dealer selling my wares to Furniture shops to fund my upcomming gambling ediction at my local 'Quarks'. I just hope the Dapo girls are easy.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I concur.  I do think there's a potential base of customers that would really enjoy EVE if it just had some avatars that they could relate to.

Think something so "silly" isn't important?  I generally won't play MMO's that don't have jumping in them.  Now that's much more shallow but still I tend to not give them a fair chance if that mechanic is missing.

Yes, CCP has the power to take this game to 500K easy if they play their cards right.

And hell, what happens when EVE Capsuleers can have combat in their body forms? Perhaps Pokemon-style-send-out-a-monster-or-droid-to-fight-for-you thing? Bahahahaha. Or you, being a weak capsuleer, could meet up with the fighting players of Dust 514 in person to negotiate moneys?

Seriously, though, if they allow for people to, say, LAND on a PLANET or MOON, suddenly they just like, quadrupled their content, methinks... doesn't necessarily have to be combat, either. Shady deals, press conferences, etc. could be incorporated, I think.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

Hmmm i disagree on several points

(1) There will be some people perfectly capable of playing, but they just dont want to, because they dont identify with the game properly because they want to "feel" like they're playing a person. Nothing wrong with that.

(2) CCP are obviously expanding EvE so that it's not JUST spaceships. Which is fine by me. Long overdue, in some ways.

(3) Because of the strongly multiplayer nature of the game, I often find myself with time to kill while waiting for fleets to form up or whatever. It's inherent to the nature of group action that some of the group will be waiting for others. Spinning ships gets old after a while...

(4) Sometimes I log in and I'm really too damb tired to play EvE. I just want to talk to my friends on corp chat or wherever for a while. Again, this would be kind of nice to do in a "human" style environment.

• JoeTanJoeTan Member UncommonPosts: 70

Last time i logged in, believe it was saturday ( maybe sunday ) evening, I saw 56k+ Pilots online.

nice

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by Blazz

And hell, what happens when EVE Capsuleers can have combat in their body forms? Perhaps Pokemon-style-send-out-a-monster-or-droid-to-fight-for-you thing? Bahahahaha. Or you, being a weak capsuleer, could meet up with the fighting players of Dust 514 in person to negotiate moneys?

Seriously, though, if they allow for people to, say, LAND on a PLANET or MOON, suddenly they just like, quadrupled their content, methinks... doesn't necessarily have to be combat, either. Shady deals, press conferences, etc. could be incorporated, I think.

I remember last year seeing teh footage for the concept of Planatery managment, it looked so cool, frigates and Destroyers being able to enter the planets atmosphere and land at space ports and you could micro manage the Colony.

But i will be damned if I can find the footage now, I am sure I dreamed it now *cries*

CCP are working hard on this game, when most games studios launch and then reduce staff to life support status, CCP are still going strong and working on new exciting stuff for us, I mean, Three years ago, would you have imagined the planets would look as sexy as they do in Dominion? that Dust 154 would be created? the Ambulation and all the other little things they are working on would come true?

All I can say is, Good job they are in iceland, the servers can be kept cool practically free of charge lol

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I've actually retained my love for EVE Online even though I havent played in years.  I very much respect everything CCP has done over the years, but my tastes have always leaned more towards exploration in MMOs.  I actually talked with a couple of folks from CCP at E3 2006, and mentioned the very same ideas they seem to be presenting in Incarna.  I am terribly excited to see them moving in this direction.  I may have to re-open my EVE account.

• EttirxaEttirxa Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Obidom

Originally posted by Blazz

I remember last year seeing teh footage for the concept of Planatery managment, it looked so cool, frigates and Destroyers being able to enter the planets atmosphere and land at space ports and you could micro manage the Colony.

But i will be damned if I can find the footage now, I am sure I dreamed it now *cries*

CCP are working hard on this game, when most games studios launch and then reduce staff to life support status, CCP are still going strong and working on new exciting stuff for us, I mean, Three years ago, would you have imagined the planets would look as sexy as they do in Dominion? that Dust 154 would be created? the Ambulation and all the other little things they are working on would come true?

All I can say is, Good job they are in iceland, the servers can be kept cool practically free of charge lol

the servers are in London by the way, which i guess isnt much warmer a lot of the time :P

Originally posted by Obidom

The servers are actually based in London, but dont worry, it's pretty cold here too.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

It's still a good point. If it weren't for the pityful net connection from iceland to great britain, a server farm in iceland would make a lot of sense. Stable prices for electricity, less expenses for cooling, high education and a very remote area away from major hazards that could impact your bussiness.

It's no wonder that plans for a huge server farm exist..

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

hehe I should have been clearer

Servers for the development of the stuff they are working on for us ;)

And yeah London is cold but oop North isnt much warmer!!

I also believe the Icelandic government is working to increase gigabit capacity to Iceland so they can install these massive Servers farms, one way of reducing Global warming ;) Bury the servers under the ice...

Lets hope the Russkies dont build one in Siberia first lol

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

CCP represents everything that is right in this genre.

A company that encourages their consumers to play the game till it crashes the hardware its played on. A company that reinvests the capital gained right back into the product. A company that employs active monitoring systems to ensure the game runs smooth and with minimal undesired affects (bots etc) so that a maximum of their consumers can enjoy the game as it was designed to be enjoyed. A company that *does not* alienate their fanbase due to capital interests, and rather focuses on that fanbase.

I wish nothing more than to see EvE report 500k+ numbers. The other thing, is EvE's numbers have always struck me as more consistent. It's one thing to have a sub, it's another for every accounted sub to actually be logging in. The MMO industry needs more CCPs, and less capital-driven studios.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter