Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bit the bullet

ZeusDvZeusDv Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 38

So I purchased DF yesterday and after around 8 hours of playing I must say I am quite impressed with the game.

It definitely harkens back to EQ more than any other MMO. I love the fact there is no auto attack, no quest indicators floating above people's heads, the "if it's not in your bank, you don't own it" philosophy, classless game and the skill levelling aspects to name a few. I'd recommend this game to any old school EQ players, looking for their next game, it is obviously not EQ but then it was never meant to be.

I do have a couple of negatives, but maybe I have shot myself in the foot with my choice of race. I made an Alfar as their starting stats were good for mages, but I've since learn a) being a mage early game isn't very viable due to expense and b) starting stats don't really matter too much. Racials are being introduced in the expansion though so maybe they will make a difference. However the Racial chat for Alfar is very immature - I don't know if this is just Alfar or whether it's a cross section of the community. But if anybody asked a question, they were called nub, noob, nab etc or indeed much worse. I haven't bothered due to this (I am on NA-1  for reference).

I am glad I started in the game, and whilst I am from the UK I have rolled on the NA server to try and persuade my old EQ buddies, and other friends who are from the US, plus I do prefer the "newer" server appeal as well.

So is it worth rerolling because I would prefer a Maharim? Or shall I stay as I am. In respect of quests I have just received the first quests to head out to the Gnolls so not far in at all. Anybody who has a spare place in a Clan for me and maybe a buddy or two in the future would be great, or maybe just a bit of advice in game as I am kind of on my own at the moment.

Cheers!

Comments

• tensspottingtensspotting Member Posts: 179

Alfar are the mouthbreathers of the DF races. If you want a nicer/friendlier community the dwarf/human/mirdain alliance is much better. Ork/mahirim is like middle ground.

Alfar is only if you are oldschool pk with disregard for anyone and enjoy killing everyone since theres no allies. I think DF would make a good choice to include this in the race descriptions (that alfars are idiots in general lol )

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

Firstly, pick a class that you like.  You can shape it however way you want.  Though racials are going to start making into the game come the expansion tomorrow so you might want to hold off?  That said a lot of people pick the Alfar because they are the smallest.

• ZeusDvZeusDv Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 38

Yeah I heard people pick them cos they are smaller. I don't mind being the unfriendly race that others hate, but yeah I'm glad the community isn;t all like that. Was quite surprised the GMs allow what was being said.

Class I like would be mage definitely, but it does seem pretty expensive and at lower levels lower DPS than Archery.

I might even rethink the Maharim choice, if the community isn't much better than Alfar. But I will wait till after the patch and definitely reroll.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

Every new thread I read makes me want to play that much more, it really does sound like the game has shaped up alot and is a very fun experience now.

I just cant bring myself to drop the cash without trying the game first, been burned too many times over the last few years as far as this industry is concerned. Fifty bucks is not alot of money, no doubt about that, but it isn't a matter of the amount of money for me so much as whether or not my money is being well spent.

Hopefully they introduce some sort of NA trials soon. Glad to hear you are having a pretty good time with DF though :)

I really am! I went in with a pessimistic view point - I read all the drama when it launched, all the trolls bash it and the fanbois rush to defend it . I'm very glad I left it till now to play, as you don't take ownership of mobs I can imagine ninja looting was prevalent when there were tons of people in one area.

I know I am still in my honeymoon period, and I reserve a better review till after my first 30 days but if you miss the old days of EQ, this game has so much potential.

One great thing is, no gold spammers! Huzzah!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

If you like magic, Alfar is the race to expect get racial bonus on magics.

Getting in Clan will also solve the problem of "who to talk too" and "who to listen too".

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Good to see that a correspondent is very pleased with the game even before the expansion!

Any chance that you can poke MMORPG.com staff a bit for a re-review after "Conquer of the Seas" is live in December?

The improvements made to the game deserve it.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Yeah I agree thats what I thought about Alfar. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how much effect the racials have. I'm expecting them to be nice, but not so OP that all mages will need to be Alfar.

I really do want a Wolfie, I think they  look cool but the Ork racial alliance does make me think it will be similar to Alfar chat.

Has anybody ever joined NEW? Is that like a please target me guild, or does it benefit?

Originally posted by XAleX360

Good to see that a correspondent is very pleased with the game even before the expansion!

Any chance that you can poke MMORPG.com staff a bit for a re-review after "Conquer of the Seas" is live in December?

The improvements made to the game deserve it.

I'm sorry I don't know why I have that title still. I was a correspondent many moons ago, but am no longer. So have no say I'm afraid.

Eurogamer SHOULD do a re-review after the expansion also, but that's another can of worms.

• tensspottingtensspotting Member Posts: 179

NEW is a great guild with a city that you can call home. Also they will help you with advice, protection and items, money etc. I strongly suggest you join it to get a feel for it. 

• miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91

i like turtles

• bartillobartillo Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by ZeusDv

Yeah I heard people pick them cos they are smaller. I don't mind being the unfriendly race that others hate, but yeah I'm glad the community isn;t all like that. Was quite surprised the GMs allow what was being said.

Class I like would be mage definitely, but it does seem pretty expensive and at lower levels lower DPS than Archery.

I might even rethink the Maharim choice, if the community isn't much better than Alfar. But I will wait till after the patch and definitely reroll.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=220850

"Alfar, for example, have a greater affinity for magic while Mahirim have always been swift of foot (or rather, paw). Mirdain rely on their keen sight and Orks are tough and able to withstand more damage than most."

Is from the darkfall spotlight, Alfars will def be the best mages id say, or have some sort of advantage with magic.

Originally posted by tensspotting

NEW is a great guild with a city that you can call home. Also they will help you with advice, protection and items, money etc. I strongly suggest you join it to get a feel for it. 

the only problem with new is there city is hammerdale in the human lands.. if your not human/dwarf/mirdain it wont be quite as safe as if you where..

As in playing a alfar and living in hammerdale will be a bit risky, plus you will not be able to enter any nearby NPC cities for any reason without getting attacked by towers.

Originally posted by bartillo

"Alfar, for example, have a greater affinity for magic while Mahirim have always been swift of foot (or rather, paw). Mirdain rely on their keen sight and Orks are tough and able to withstand more damage than most."

Is from the darkfall spotlight, Alfars will def be the best mages id say, or have some sort of advantage with magic.

Yeah I agree on that wholeheartedly. But I had read that starting stats don't really mean that much, so we'll just have to wait to see what the racials are. Even so I'm afraid I can't play an Alfar based on the racial chat, it's just horrendous.

Yeah I agree on that wholeheartedly. But I had read that starting stats don't really mean that much, so we'll just have to wait to see what the racials are. Even so I'm afraid I can't play an Alfar based on the racial chat, it's just horrendous.

I play a Mahirim and ork/mahirim racial chat is def not that bad, human/dwarf/mirdain chat is the nicest though but I love Mahirim so ya.

Plus looks like Mahirims racial is some sort of speed increase.. apparently not 4 legged run though :(

Mahirims where never given there own racial mounts as they where spose to run 4 legged and that was there mount.. right now they craft the ork mount when taming.

I play a Mahirim and ork/mahirim racial chat is def not that bad, human/dwarf/mirdain chat is the nicest though but I love Mahirim so ya.

Plus looks like Mahirims racial is some sort of speed increase.. apparently not 4 legged run though :(

Mahirims where never given there own racial mounts as they where spose to run 4 legged and that was there mount.. right now they craft the ork mount when taming.

I might roll a Human or Mahirim can't decide now lol

Speed increase is nice! And the Mahirims running 4 legged sounds like Taurens in Beta Warcraft, as they had an ability called Plainsrunning instead of a mount, but it was scrapped and Kodos were brought in (sorry to mention "that" game but similar story!).

Gonna flip a coin....

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

So is it worth rerolling because I would prefer a Maharim? Or shall I stay as I am. In respect of quests I have just received the first quests to head out to the Gnolls so not far in at all. Anybody who has a spare place in a Clan for me and maybe a buddy or two in the future would be great, or maybe just a bit of advice in game as I am kind of on my own at the moment.

Cheers!

First of all, congratulations on biting the bullet and not listening to the stupid trolls and haters that still lurk around here. Yes, it's an excellent game, and it's only going to get better with the HUGE expansion coming out tomorrow.

As for your race choice, no, do not reroll. If you want to be a mage, STAY Alfar. They're getting magic boosts (we're all assuming based off of what they hinted at) so they're definitely the "magic" race to be.

As for advice, BANK and BANK OFTEN. You will lose a ton of shit in this game, it's a given, just remember that one day you'll be the one standing over the tombstone of someone you destroyed on the battlefield.

Besides that, my biggest piece of advice is to play the game the way it was designed. DO NOT macro, DO NOT focus on the same skill for hours unless you enjoy that. I play the game the way I want. I skill up on mobs for a little while and then I mostly do solo/small scale PvP. If I grinded like so many people in game do all the time, I would drive myself insane.

Oh, and WELCOME TO DARKFALL! For some reason, I have a feeling I'll be saying that all the damn time over the next few weeks as more and more and more people seem to be taking the chance at trying Darkfall and LOVING it.

Originally posted by Kasmos

Cheers!

First of all, congratulations on biting the bullet and not listening to the stupid trolls and haters that still lurk around here. Yes, it's an excellent game, and it's only going to get better with the HUGE expansion coming out tomorrow.

As for your race choice, no, do not reroll. If you want to be a mage, STAY Alfar. They're getting magic boosts (we're all assuming based off of what they hinted at) so they're definitely the "magic" race to be.

As for advice, BANK and BANK OFTEN. You will lose a ton of shit in this game, it's a given, just remember that one day you'll be the one standing over the tombstone of someone you destroyed on the battlefield.

Besides that, my biggest piece of advice is to play the game the way it was designed. DO NOT macro, DO NOT focus on the same skill for hours unless you enjoy that. I play the game the way I want. I skill up on mobs for a little while and then I mostly do solo/small scale PvP. If I grinded like so many people in game do all the time, I would drive myself insane.

Oh, and WELCOME TO DARKFALL! For some reason, I have a feeling I'll be saying that all the damn time over the next few weeks as more and more and more people seem to be taking the chance at trying Darkfall and LOVING it.

I have never listened to trolls, but have never listened to blatant fanboism either. Am very glad to have bit the bullet as well.

I know I said I wanted to be a mage, but I don't know if you've experienced Alfar chat it's all "lulz that dood was a faggot" ad nauseum. So I think I may go Human as I'm presuming they can fill any role by reading their description.

I was already following the banking code, so no worries there. Have already deleted my other toon, just deciding whether to reroll tonight ot wait after the patch, I should probably wait but really want to play.

I have a feeling good things are coming for both Darkfall and Aventurine.

• PeithPeith Member Posts: 26

Some people say human female is the best size/weapon reach ratio. I don't know, never tested it. Don't think there's gender differences in hitboxes, they just appear smaller. Would be a good mix in any case. Alfar complain their reach is too short and Mahirim complain they're too big, etc.

Originally posted by Kasmos

Cheers!

I have never listened to trolls, but have never listened to blatant fanboism either. Am very glad to have bit the bullet as well.

I know I said I wanted to be a mage, but I don't know if you've experienced Alfar chat it's all "lulz that dood was a faggot" ad nauseum. So I think I may go Human as I'm presuming they can fill any role by reading their description.

I was already following the banking code, so no worries there. Have already deleted my other toon, just deciding whether to reroll tonight ot wait after the patch, I should probably wait but really want to play.

I have a feeling good things are coming for both Darkfall and Aventurine.

I would prob say wait just to see what the racials are before you pick, might help you decide.. would suck to pick human and they have the worst racials in the game or something :p

edit:

"All races are getting traits which are small enhancements connected to the background story of each race. Alfar for example lean towards magic, orks towards melee, etc. we’ll keep working on differentiating the races even further. These are not huge differences at this stage but they will help give the races more individuality and these differences will be felt in the game. We’re taking small steps to keep everything well balanced and we’ll not stop at this. We’ll evaluate every change and build on it."

from paragus's interview with tasos:  http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1/122009/5278_Interview-Darkfalls-Tasos-Flambouras

Well I did it. Rerolled Maharim and don't regret it one bit.

Was killing Gobbos and received one PM offering to pay me for all the vegetables and cheese I find, and another was a clan invite to a clan that has been very very helpful. So I don't regret my decision one bit, I can still be a mage. Not the most effective, but at least I can read Racial chat now :P

• GiblarGiblar Member Posts: 40

Was killing Gobbos and received one PM offering to pay me for all the vegetables and cheese I find, and another was a clan invite to a clan that has been very very helpful. So I don't regret my decision one bit, I can still be a mage. Not the most effective, but at least I can read Racial chat now :P

Actually mahirims have an advantage to magic since they are taller and can hit people's feet slightly easier.

Aventurine-hater since December 5, 2009

good choice ^^

all the "hardcore" pvpers go alfar thats why there chat was so bad,