Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you like to see...

ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

FFXIV is going for a very aggressive timetable. From this we can assume they are using some other game as a template. Something they can point their developers to as a completed product to strive for while their world and story designers are cranking on their projects...

So lets assume their template is FFXI.

What would you like to see changed, added, or removed from FFXI as it currently stands that would make you try FFXIV?

What would you NOT like to see changed, added or removed from FFXI as it currently stands that would make you NOT try FFXIV?

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

They've been working on it for some time, from what they say.  I imagine they are SORTA using FFXI as a template.  They collecting information on what they didn't like about XI, and thought about ways to change it.  Obviously overhauling a bunch of stuff in XI wasn't an option, but they could develop a list and work on ideas for the next FF MMO, maybe even muck around with some test implementations to see how some ideas would work.

They've said they want to move away from the Tank-Healer-DPS mechanics (Holy Trinity as some call it).  They want to focus more on positioning and other tactics.  Combat will be a bit slower to make it more tactical.  I think these are good principles for the game.  I think they can pull this off successfully.  Obviously various FFXI mechancis would have to be dropped or completely reworked (classes, aggro, taunting, even class roles would need changing), so this implies a lot of changes which again, I think is good -- I'm tired of the very artificial HT system.

Eh, I could go on about other stuff I'd like to see, but so far everything I've heard I like more or less.  Quests seem to scale with group size (there is a small chance this isn't the case, but that seems to be what they are saying, if not then I'd want them to scale).  You can apparently make quests harder if you choose using the Guildleve system (that's pretty awesome, so people who want an easy time of it can get that and those that really want a challenge can get one).  I'd hope that dungeons and other group content has easily scalable difficulties too.

I'd like to see decision-making that makes a difference in the story of the game, like Star Wars: TOR is going to have, but it doesn't look like that will be in FFXIV. 

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Valendros

FFXIV is going for a very aggressive timetable. From this we can assume they are using some other game as a template. Something they can point their developers to as a completed product to strive for while their world and story designers are cranking on their projects...
    So lets assume their template is FFXI.
    What would you like to see changed, added, or removed from FFXI as it currently stands that would make you try FFXIV?
    What would you NOT like to see changed, added or removed from FFXI as it currently stands that would make you NOT try FFXIV?

We dont know enough to really answer these questions. I need to play the game to know whats changed and what needs to be changed.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Oh, also I'd like my character to have his own theme music.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I want them to leave the job system like in XI

I never got enough money and time to try puppet master on XI same for more then 3/4 of the jobs and now they totally changed everything... main and sub class worked fine and is being used in some games with some restrictions not like in XI (Guild wars to name a popular one)

• jigsaw808jigsaw808 Member Posts: 26

i'd prefer to have this on my ps3 so i can get rid of my rig. so i hope they implement voice chat for consoles. from what i know they will not have it. come on!!! its almost 2010! i think that's a must. at least give me 6 slots so i can chat w/ my party or 6 inter-changeable friends. this is after all a next gen game. if they did in fact announce a chat feature then someone please post a link.

scribble scribble

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Icon's dream game:

- I'd love to see in FFXIV is an integrated card game

As if you took FFXI and were able to play Tetramaster from inside the game against your fellow adventurers. This would be something to do during down times while LFP (assuming you need to) or while waiting for an event to start. Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly tournaments for special HQ versions of cards. Card sets from not just FFIX, but from all of Square Enix's IPs. Have card stores where you can buy packs or individual cards (for the most part this would be a gil sink and would help regulate the economy)

- Upgrade Pokemon Pankreton

Good start to the system, but poorly executed and fell well short of what it could be. The fact that the pitch was in Whitegate but it was its own zone didn't help with seeing shouts for groups. Expand the command system a lot more. Add the ability to learn abilities like Pokemon where you can only have a set number and you have to have strategy to pick which ones are the best for you. Multiple monster fights. Also give a reward for doing do that is useful. An elixir type potion you can get with points or decent armor. Something not trophy armor.

- Upgrade LFP

Have it so you can LFP and have multiple jobs listed that you'd be willing to play. I think that this is how it is going to be in FFXIV. In FFXI it sucked when I was LFP in Jeuno and thinking that I could be farming bird plumes instead. Trouble is I'm LFP as a lvl 20 DRK. To go far up plumes I'd need to be on THF (for Treasure Hunter) which is already 75. If I could flag my DRK to LFP while I was a THF I could do two things at once and I'd be very very happy.

- Public Quests

I played WAR for a little bit, but my PC was very outdated and the specs on the box lied. I thought the coolest thing in the game was the Lore Book, but the second coolest things were the Public Quests. They are quests that you can join at any time that run without any prompt from the players. If you will it is like Campaign or Besieged where they are going to happen whether there is anyone in the zone or not. You could join these fights at anytime and you get a rewards box at the end of the fight (if it was successful) and the loot was randomized where the people who did the most work in the fight got first picks on the items, then the second guy got to pick and so on. So if you were there for the whole fight and do that most work you got your pick of one item, but if you happened to walk up at the last few minutes and throw a few fireballs you'd get whatever was left over, but you'd still get something.

- Have H/NMs not on a set schedule

Fafnir pops every 21 hours and the windows are 1 minute long and 30 minutes apart. Shinigami was something like every 21 hours for 15 minutes and would despawn (and btw spawns invisible and untargetable for anyone that doesn't know). It is too calculated and too methodical. Change it up a little bit where things are a lot more random. It gives everyone a far chance when no one know the secret. The most annoying thing was wanting a Ying Yang Robe and having Shinigami pop time then watch the time slowly move into the time of the day when you have to be working (sucks for people who play MMOs and have a life). You might not be able to plan to get a claim, but it is more fair catching him by accident than having 30 groups gather together for 15 minutes a day.

- Bring back the MPK

(Monster Player Kill: Training a monster onto another character so that character has a hard time or dies)

Yes I see someone claiming Fafnir very legit and someone being pissed they didn't claim so they train spiders to the fight and everyone dies. Fafnir goes to full HP and everyone gets up reset and do it 10 more times before the GMs throw them all in jail. It has happened and it sucks (which is reason #2 for me not camping kings). That isn't the reason I say to have it back. I believe there has to be some way for the players to police themselves. There are always going to be douche bags out there. The best way to deal with douche bags is to punish them for it. Tell me there isn't someone you have played in and online game that was a total tool that you wanted to stick a scythe in his eye. Someone does something wrong they get punished someone does something right they don't. I know it is a sticky subject and there is no right or wrong answer on player policing but something has to be done and calling a GM that can't do anything doesn't help.

- Make Icon the High GM.

He'd bring the ban hammer down on people skulls. No seriously. It would be good to have people on payroll that are in the trenches. People who are there that can make snap decision to defuse a situation. The GM system is way too slow and in all honesty they can't do anything about most things because it was something that happened an hour ago or they just don't have the power. Someone who actually is actively playing would help like a security person in a retail store who pretends to actually be a shopper to catch people. That and I'd love to get paid to play and smash skulls.

- Shame the guilty.

This one is very easy. Instead of 3000 accounts were suspended this month; tell us who they were and what they did. First off it would shame the guilty because everyone now will know exactly what they did to get a ban. I mean I know people who have gotten a 3-4 day ban from FFXI that when they come back they just play it off as they had real life crap to do. If Square Enix comes out and says that this person was banned for doing some illegal activity then everyone knows and there is more of a chance they are avoided. Not being able to play for 3 days isn't a punishment, having the name you worked 2-3 years on tarnished and drug through the mud because you decided to buy some gil. It also lets the players who are thinking about doing something wrong know that it isn't a good idea. I find that FFXI has a lot of people who are legit players who can't seem to get ahead because of the cheaters.

- Allow the possibility of keyboard only controls.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for the PC that I can easily put on my PS3. I loved how you had everything you needed on the keyboard. Shortcut buttons for menus, macros, camera and movement on one hand. It was an awesome set up. I saw a mouse cursor on one of the Games Con videos. I don't want to be forced into WASD and mouse just because other people want to use it and bitch because it isn't like everything else. Don't mess with a good thing.

- Equipment locked to job.

The best way to save inventory space is have the equipment equipped to a job. So say you have your BLM and your WAR type jobs. You have an axe equipped to your WAR and you change to your BLM. The axe wouldn't fall off into your inventory but it would not be equipped to your BLM . It is a great idea to hide extra gear that on a job to conserve some inventory space. Also when you change jobs you wouldn't have to go looking to put it back on or store it in your MH for extened periods of time.

[Edit: The equipment could be removed, but it would be removed manually by the player before the job change]

- Eliminate the need for windower

And eliminate anyone who uses it. Make sure the game is windowable to start with and give them people their draw distaince (no doubt it will). Do random check of game files throughout the game to make sure things are working right. If not boot and eliminate. It is okay to mod your offline games because you are only effecting you. If you mod an online game you can effect everyone. If you can't play the game that is given to you ... sorry gtfo.

- No voice chat

I am probably the minority on this one, but I don't want to have voice chat on FFXIV. First one I don't want to hear people chatting constantly. There are just times were I want silence. Maybe I'm listening my iPod or watching a movie while playing. Too much noise is distracting. The only time I could see it as useful is to warn people of aggro. I mean I chat on Modern Warfare 2 and it never seems to help when someone is running up to kill a team mate and I try to warn them. It all just happens way too quickly.

Also, multilingual game. I have some guy trying to talk to me in Japanese and I am trying to talk to him in English. We are not going to understand each other so we will need to type out what we want to say anyway. It isn't like some other game where servers are regional so for the most part everyone is speaking the same language. A good example being I can read French okay; I can get by and I can get the major idea of what is being said. I can't hear French to save my life. For instance: Je suis soûl is pronounced something like j'swee sool. I can read it just fine, but to hear someone say it I would miss it .. especially if they have an authentic French accent. And it means "I am drunk" for anyone who is wondering.

- More EX gear

I go back and forth on this one. For example Leaping boots. If you have them not be EX then you can sell them and camp LL for the item to make money to buy other stuff. Also helpful for people who don't have time to camp it and would rather just farm and pay for it. If you make them EX you can't monopolize the spawn (well you could but that would be a very dickish thing to do when you already have a pair), you'd have to find another way to get the item. Plus if it is EX more people would be out there thinking they have a chance because they wouldn't be detered by people who have the camping of the mob down. Plus there are people like me who won't go after EX gear if I know there is better crap out there since I won't be able to move it later. I don't know about this one like I said.

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Combat that doesn't feel like I can go up and make a sammich during the middle of it.

I tried FF11, and could never get into it because it felt so slow.

• morbiusvmorbiusv Member Posts: 86

The combat needs swift change from what i can see. It is really slow compared to the new age of mmos aand combat makes or breaks a game for me. i love Final Fantasy lore ans stories but I couldn't play the last one because of the combat being so slow.All the videos I have seen it seems the combat has change very little.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

- I'd like an overhaul on the renkai system. I loved it in FFXI, but I would like either a more elaborate, or more dynamic version of it for XIV. Perhaps with more than just damage chains and graphics / animations for magic bursts.

- I'd also like more / better solo content. I loved the grouping in FFXI, but at times it got very frustrating to find a group / find a group willing to do what you wanted to do and the solo content they eventually implemented was more or less just a bandaid.

- I'd like to see them go further w/ the campaign system. Perhaps with better / more dynamic PvP, or PvP that intertwined with certain expeditionary missions for rewards.

- I'd like to see a UI overhaul. The FFXI UI was very robust, but also a little cumbersome. I wish the movement was a little 'freer'.

- If possible, NPC voiced dialogue would be a huge plus.

I'm sure there are others, but that's about as much as I can think of if they are indeed going off of FFXI. I don't expect have of these to make it, but it would be awesome if even just one of them did.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

There's a few things that I think they NEED to do for FFXIV and thats:

• Allow for solo players to realistically get stuff done on their own and be able to progress on their own BUT keep the majority of the content as necessitating a party, like in FFXI. It sounds like they're already doing this but thought I'd say it anyway.
    • Make the jobs/classes/roles actually balanced this time. There were so many jobs in FFXI that were almost always ignored by parties and yet SE never seemed to bother with actually balancing them. Most of these jobs would only ever be taken for one rare situation in which they were useful, and that was it. If the skill system is going to work the way I think it is (allowing you to sub in skills from other classes in place of a sub-job) then this will probably help a great deal as everyone will be a lot more hybridised and have the freedom to mix and match their class however they like to suit the needs of the party.

If there's one thing they mustn't do it's to bring back subjobs. They were the biggest pain in the butt in FFXI. It was NOT fun to have to level a job you hated just to be able to play the job you wanted in a party (mostly looking at /Nin combinations here). The new skill system would make it impossible anyway so I'm not too worried about that.

Only thing I'm concerned about at the moment is the focus on these guildleaves. I hope they still have a lot of non-instanced dungeons and the like as well.

Originally posted by Alberel

Only thing I'm concerned about at the moment is the focus on these guildleaves. I hope they still have a lot of non-instanced dungeons and the like as well.

They said it was kinda instanced (well something like that) -- that's what I remember reading anyhow.  Might be that it isn't really instanced but uses something like WoW's phasing.

• unicorngtmunicorngtm Member UncommonPosts: 22

I would like:

• (keep) "changing jobs" - sounds like they are to some extent; it's so nice not creating another character everytime ...
    • (keep) sub jobs
    • (keep) so many things to do, that I really could never do it all
    • (keep) FFXI is generally more of a thinking game, rather than an action/clickfest
    • (remove) alts for storage, gardening, AH in each city, forcing you to logout and waste your valuable gaming time, to manage your inventory
    • (remove) forced grouping - at least it was that way, and many core parts still require it; not my idea of fun waiting for bunch of people, begging/pleading/coercing friends or worse yet, looking for a group when no one was on ... actually, the banishing gates were worse ...
    • (added) no "servers" - or rather why do I need to be stuck on one server with 1/nth of FFXIV population, when realistically there can be just 1 (or a few) logical servers, instead of being separated by n physical servers; you have less choice of friends, smaller/less guilds, less people to party with, and ... ghost towns/zones; (I develop/software for a living some in very high volume systems, so have an idea of the issues involved); in any case, many grouping functions just don't work with low populations
    • (remove) having to use a windower ... not because you wanted to cheat, but because the game required you otherwise it would kick you out, if you god forbid, wanted to read your email, or some other nonsense like that
    • (remove) glacial travel, like to the auction house, to adventuring areas; every game has some of this, but in FFXI the ratio of travel time to real gaming time was ridiculously large
    • (remove) 7 auction house slots (haven't played in a while so forgive if I've got this wrong)
    • It would be nice if some of the races, weren't quite as exactly the same as FFXI

Fundamentally, FF games are very good in very many ways, but FFXI had some really bone-headed design decisions that really asked the question "you want me to play this game, or are you trying to force me to play something else?"

• FirstLoveFirstLove Member Posts: 4

i like Final fantasy XIV,but i dont like instance dungeon

• ZorakGhostalZorakGhostal Member Posts: 122

Chocobo mounts! Chocobo races! Chocobo love....

• pinkspiderxpinkspiderx Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 14

more soloability! but still keep some things group dependent. sometimes i just dont have time to find a group and go through a zone.

Quest NPC markers! that was a BIG thing for me in 11. i ran around to everyone i saw and had to talk to them in hopes they had a quest for me because there were no markers indicateing that they had one.

Originally posted by pinkspiderx

more soloability! but still keep some things group dependent. sometimes i just dont have time to find a group and go through a zone.
    Quest NPC markers! that was a BIG thing for me in 11. i ran around to everyone i saw and had to talk to them in hopes they had a quest for me because there were no markers indicateing that they had one.

For me I dont want hand holding and quest markers are just that.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by toddze

I personally wouldn't mind having a rhyme or reason of talking to a person for a quest. Like how does random Taru in Windy know of some random elf in Sandy and you have to know you need to walk from one to the other. There really is no way of knowing where to go next without something like wiki 95% of the time. But I agree with todd ... I don't want my hand held and I don't want a big blinking arrow saying "CLICK HERE!!!"

• pinkspiderxpinkspiderx Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 14
    Originally posted by ic0n67

I personally wouldn't mind having a rhyme or reason of talking to a person for a quest. Like how does random Taru in Windy know of some random elf in Sandy and you have to know you need to walk from one to the other. There really is no way of knowing where to go next without something like wiki 95% of the time. But I agree with todd ... I don't want my hand held and I don't want a big blinking arrow saying "CLICK HERE!!!"

see, i like big arrows (well no not big arrows..) but something to indicate the person has a quest, i used wiki so much for the quests (i even printed them all out!) it would just be a tad easier (and less paper dependant) to havea  marker by the NPCs name or something. talking to EVERYONE especially if its a very populated place is a bit annoying.

I think the ideal solution is for the game to implement something natural for this sort of thing.  You got sent to speak to some Mithra in a city?  Then you can ask people in that city about that person and find them that way.  You get told to go to a certain place and kill monsters or find something?  Then they mark it on your map (yes, everyone gets to carry a map to ease this).  I hate quests that give vague directions when the giver knows EXACTLY where you should be going (lore-wise), then you spend a couple hours in the wrong places trying to figure it out.  For when you are truly given just vague hints because the giver wouldn't know any better, ideally there should be clues of some kind that you can follow, other people to talk to as you get closer, it just isn't that hard to find, or maybe even you are given an item that indicates when you are getting closer.  I think solutions that are immersive and sensible (within the game world)  should be used to guide you.  I dislike very artificial means like a Quest Helper program or the like.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

I hope there is more group content then solo. I hope the solo content is only more for teh use of getting things doen if you cant find a group, but the better way to go is by grouping.

In worst case i would hope that the group and solo content would be equal amounts and not mainly solo grinding.

im also hoping there is enough unique gameplay in this that allows us to really have other things to do other then fighting all day.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Removed

I would like to see NM camping removed in XIV. I honestly don't understand how anyone can find waiting hours for a mob to spawn with incredibly crappy drop rates as fun. Its asinine. The challenge should be killing the NM / HNM not claiming it over a bot. I will probably uninstall XIV the minute I realize it has NM camping in it, if it does.

Unchanged.

Hope they keep the party system for leveling over questing but make it so smaller groups are still able to function efficiently enough to play if they can't find a healer or tank. I'm sick and tired of solo quest grinders. Also would like to level everything on one character and discourage rolling tons of alts, I feel this makes your reputation more important on your server and more tight knit community.

• nobrains8503nobrains8503 Member Posts: 133

1. Allow soloing to function mainly as a way to get currency. Not via farming so much as make simple single player quests that can be solo'd easily by a solo player.

2. Keep grouping dynamics the way they are though w/o level sync. Level sync made it possible to never have a hard or challenging fight causing there to honestly be a bunch of high level characters with no real skill. You didn't see this 1 or 2 years before level sync and people understood that high level characters should be respected and wise.

3. No XP penalty for deaths. I found this so frusterating. Sure it made a point of "be better, don't die" but there were ways for people to get you killed and it not be your fault. I think there should be a "Choice System" either lose so much xp, gold, or whatever. You decide how to pay for your death.

4. Keep the fact that it takes a looong time to level up. This made the game rewarding when you finally recieved your level 75 banner.

5. FFXI had one of the best gear templates as far as what you see on your character. DONT add dyes, it's dumb imo and you get people that look like clowns.

6. Include quests of varying length and difficulty like before, BUT make them semi simple to find/progress through. Without FFXI Allakhazam I don't know if i would have ever completed a quest in FFXI.

7. Make groups a max of 4 players, but allow for greater alliances. This should fill all needed roles and allow for easier time finding a group.

Originally posted by nobrains8503

1. Allow soloing to function mainly as a way to get currency. Not via farming so much as make simple single player quests that can be solo'd easily by a solo player.
    2. Keep grouping dynamics the way they are though w/o level sync. Level sync made it possible to never have a hard or challenging fight causing there to honestly be a bunch of high level characters with no real skill. You didn't see this 1 or 2 years before level sync and people understood that high level characters should be respected and wise.
    3. No XP penalty for deaths. I found this so frusterating. Sure it made a point of "be better, don't die" but there were ways for people to get you killed and it not be your fault. I think there should be a "Choice System" either lose so much xp, gold, or whatever. You decide how to pay for your death.
    4. Keep the fact that it takes a looong time to level up. This made the game rewarding when you finally recieved your level 75 banner.
    5. FFXI had one of the best gear templates as far as what you see on your character. DONT add dyes, it's dumb imo and you get people that look like clowns.
    6. Include quests of varying length and difficulty like before, BUT make them semi simple to find/progress through. Without FFXI Allakhazam I don't know if i would have ever completed a quest in FFXI.
    7. Make groups a max of 4 players, but allow for greater alliances. This should fill all needed roles and allow for easier time finding a group.

1.  I think they are making solo viable in general.  They should also focus on making the group dynamic extremely compelling and not at all a punishment.  Lots of games that enable soloing do it at the expense of grouping (WoW is like this during leveling).  FFXIV should make sure you get just as much or even a bit extra experience when you group and also make awesome group dynamics.

2.  Level syncing ain't that bad, but I suppose they should reverse how it works.  Haven't played FFXI when it had level synching (it has been a while), but most such systems bring people up to a higher plateau (at least COX does that).  I think it would be better if it nerfed a higher player down to the same level as the person he synched to so that he could help "train them".  Since you are arbitrarily decreasing their abilities, you can ensure their synch stats (including gear) is the same as the person they are connected to.  That should keep the challenge just fine.

3. I like having a choice.  Sounds good.

4.  As long as they have plenty of things to work on and lots of things to do besides leveling and getting gear this should be good.  Maybe an expanded house system or even a way to make a secret base out in the wild and improve it (that would be pretty cool).

5.  Err, and people that look like clowns don't belong in Final Fantasy?  Seems pretty common to me.  Usually clowns result from quest and random gear choices anyhow.  People usually want to not look like clowns.  I think adding dye to gear is a good idea, though they should not stick to primary colors.  Actually, I think when you should have a list of gear options for your appearance, and when you get a new piece of gear that item gets added to your list.  Your appearance can then be based on choosing gear from your list for each slot, though this is aesthetic only, your stats would be determined normally.  This would help ensure unique looks for everyone.

6.  If a guy knows where something is, he should mark it on your map.  Half the time hard quests result from bad quest information when the guy giving the quest should know better.  That's always super-frustrating.  I don't mind some more difficult quests or puzzle-quests though.

7.  I think ideally the content should scale a bit with group size.  Maybe a max group of 6, but dungeons scale for 4 to 6 players so you don't need a full group (but if you have extra friends then they can come along too). 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

see, i like big arrows (well no not big arrows..) but something to indicate the person has a quest, i used wiki so much for the quests (i even printed them all out!) it would just be a tad easier (and less paper dependant) to havea  marker by the NPCs name or something. talking to EVERYONE especially if its a very populated place is a bit annoying.

Its a game based off of code... just make the NPC wave to you when you get close, Or have it like that one game where all Inportant NPC's wear Red or something.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Its a game based off of code... just make the NPC wave to you when you get close, Or have it like that one game where all Inportant NPC's wear Red or something.

The waving thing wont work, In a crowded city its going to be waving at everyone, so how would you know who its waving too?  If qust giving npc's all wear red, hell might as well just have the  flashing !!! above the head. Its the same thing, just a chezzy attempt to cover it up.

I think its still best just to have to talk to people, the devs also need to do their part in not making it so ambiguous like icon was eluding too. If the NPC has a quest for you but you dont have a certian requirement done to do it the npc needs to tell you in some way that you need to do such and such. As it stands now when you talk to someone before your suposed to he says something completly irrevelent to any quest, and you have no idea he has a quest for you later. Give the player an ability to mark the map for reminders for npc's who will have a quest later for you.