Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Conquer the Seas Expansion Q&A

Tasos Flambouras, Darkfall's Associate Producer, checks in to talk about "Conquer the Seas," Darkfall's first expansion pack.

MMORPG.com: Overall what is your favorite part of the expansion? What do you think players will like the most?

Tasos Flambouras: My favorite part is the sea element because of its awesome potential to add a completely new gameplay layer to Darkfall and I think that most players will also appreciate it. I also believe that everyone will appreciate the skill extensions, and the significant monster improvements. A lot of players will enjoy the improvements to melee and archery.

There’s a bit for every play-style in this expansion so different players will like different things.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• DarkbleachDarkbleach Member Posts: 40

Looking good, cant wait for it to hit live. :)

Edit: Just wanted to say thank you Dana and mmorpg for posting this.

• daywalker27daywalker27 Member UncommonPosts: 148

I resub'd and the game is actually getting better, and this expansion will surely fix several things.

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752

Great article guys. The game is developing wonderfully

To think the haters were stating the game would shut down in 6 months....lol....they are actually hiring new people and moving into a bigger building. 

Unlike some games....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I have yet to play Darkfall a decision I knew I would have to make looking at this game at release as it didn't have most of what I heard about that interested me in the game.  But again I will say I have been impressed with Aventurines progress with the game since launch from the looks of things they have been very proactive in adding depth to the game unlike most mmo companies with struggling products.  I feel like within a years time DF may have the rich sandbox elements I read about and hopefully by that time the community will have grown beyond the average pvp players they have now which is another reason I haven't subbed to this point.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

Nice interview.  I wonder what Tasos is planning in a few months?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

This game is evolving in a wonderful way. It's hard not too see the love that is being put into it.

I'm thrilled they are actually expanding their offices, and that subs are on the up. It's well deserved.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Well I still haven't forgivn them for lieing during beta/launch but at least the game is evolving and getting better.

Someday it may be close to what they origionaly promised, that is they day I will buy it.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by Einstein-DF

To think the haters were stating the game would shut down in 6 months....lol....they are actually hiring new people and moving into a bigger building. 

Unlike some games....

Frankly I smell more spin.

How can a game with such a low population be getting anywhere?

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752
    Originally posted by Arcken

Unlike some games....

The conspiracy continues.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

Unlike some games....

...the plot thickens.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Darkfall’s “Conquer the Seas” Expansion will launch on Thursday December 3d. There could be up to 24 hours downtime but any missed play-time will be refunded to all Darkfall players.

awesome 

BestSigEver :P

• Codec_DCodec_D Member UncommonPosts: 23

very informative, i gotta say this game is making me very excited.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Unlike some games....

It's actually quite simple

WAR - 10 offices for 10 programmers

DF - 1 office for 10 programmers

Apply this philosophy for every single part of the business........and voila'

We unveiled the trick. of course you need to be a business genious to figure this out.

And by the way DF now has 2 servers as opposed as the only one they had at launch.

This too is a wicked marketing strategy?

That one won't be cheap one though, because renting 10 or more powerful servers (to make the clouded server, which is what DF use) ain't exactly cheap.

So if they opened a new server, the reason is because they had enough people to fill both, not because they wanted to show off.

I didn't play DF for 3 months, but I am back and I plan to stay for a while, I am sure lots of people did the same.

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

nice, best mmo ever is geting even better. now i wonder what they have prepared for expansion after this one :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Good to hear they are doing so well. Looks like they are putting their profits to good use too.

• PsalmsPsalms Member UncommonPosts: 137

This game is fantastic!

So much for listening to all the negative spinners.  I subbed and only regret that i didnt do so sooner.

• AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

I played the first month of the EU release and beta.  I quit a few weeks after launch.

I resubbed recently and have witnessed many improvements along with great communication from the devs.  Darkfall is getting better as time goes by - ala EVE.

Keep up the good work AV.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

• kazamxkazamx Member CommonPosts: 165

They spend everything on the game. they get a lot of grief for it, but they know spending money on the game is the best thing in the long term.

Lets look at Warhammer.

How much money was spent flying Paul, Josh and and Hickman in Business class around the world in  for years before the game launched?

How much was spent setting up MASSIVE stands at every games event for the year building up to the launch of the game?

How much money was spent advertising the game on all the gaming websites? Remember when they got a full screen ad on wowhead.com?

How much was spent on the HUGE number of servers that they had to close down?

How much was spent on all the Community staff who were hired to watch the forums of the fan sites?

How much was spent on all the marketing staff?

Warhammer spent MASSIVE amounts of money on stuff that had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with hype. it worked. they tricked a lot of people into buying the game, but they left a month or two later.  AV spent their tiny budget on the game. Yes it had problems. Yes they didn't communicate. Yes things have been a pain in the ass. But they knew spending everything they had on the game would be for the best in the long term.

DF has the chance to become one of the rare MMOs to constantly grow rather than boom, bust and close.

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Unlike some games....

...the plot thickens.

...as i always say, it wont matter if the expansion is spin....... because we all die in 2012!

• Originally posted by kazamx

They spend everything on the game. they get a lot of grief for it, but they know spending money on the game is the best thing in the long term.
    Lets look at Warhammer.
    How much money was spent flying Paul, Josh and and Hickman in Business class around the world in  for years before the game launched?
    How much was spent setting up MASSIVE stands at every games event for the year building up to the launch of the game?
    How much money was spent advertising the game on all the gaming websites? Remember when they got a full screen ad on wowhead.com?
    How much was spent on the HUGE number of servers that they had to close down?
    How much was spent on all the Community staff who were hired to watch the forums of the fan sites?
    How much was spent on all the marketing staff?
    Warhammer spent MASSIVE amounts of money on stuff that had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with hype. it worked. they tricked a lot of people into buying the game, but they left a month or two later.  AV spent their tiny budget on the game. Yes it had problems. Yes they didn't communicate. Yes things have been a pain in the ass. But they knew spending everything they had on the game would be for the best in the long term.
    DF has the chance to become one of the rare MMOs to constantly grow rather than boom, bust and close.

This is exactly it. AV have said from the start that they wanted to grow their game which is why there was absolutely no advertising for the game. I can see this going the way of eve online. It wouldn't suprise me to see that they simply kept it at 2 servers for the rest of this games life as the world is so big.
  • EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

I play sinds beginning and i must say that even after most US players left now, i see everyday new players comming to DF and game is already way more friendly for newbees than first months.

With new expansion comming, game should be even more appealing to new players so no excuse just buy the game.

If you want something different then all those hundreds of themeparks out there and love pvp with full loot its a must buy.

Plus game looks and play great compare to many games out there and freedom you have how you wanne play its realy great game.

Buy game you wont regret it:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Now that Darkfall is out I can only hope for great sucess for the game. I would be sad to see a indie game burn out quickly. Not becuse it will kill other companys but also for the guys working with the game :)

Now you just need to hand out some trial keys so we can see if its so awsome that the fanboi tell the rest of us. And Im sorry that I wont buy a game that tells me of its awsomeness but cant give a free look. Warhammer and Age of Conan both gave me that experince :) 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

I agree, this game is getting better and better with each patch they release. Also (NA1), I have been seeing a nice incoming of new players and can attest that population IS on the rise.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by drumchannell

I agree, this game is getting better and better with each patch they release. Also (NA1), I have been seeing a nice incoming of new players and can attest that population IS on the rise.

In the area I reside in, I noticed a very obvious increase in new players as well.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818

DF is one of the few MMO's in the last several years to try something differant, so I take my hat of to them. But full pvp always has it's issues, I am a dyed in the wool regional pvp fan and that's why the game is not for me.