Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is it compared to Planetside?

Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

sorry for noobing it up, but I dont know that much about the game.  From what I've seen though, it looks similiar to Planetside minus the vehicles?  Is this fairly accurate?  It also seems to have a PvE element that Planetside lacks.

so as a planetside fan, what can I look forward to in GA?

*edit* also, does anyone have a referral code for the beta they could PM me?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Comments

• M_VexM_Vex Member Posts: 67

There's a lot of information out there that you can find, maybe this post will encourage you to look into it...

Some of the released information that you may be interested in relates to the persistence of the world.

With Planetside, what you did didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.  Sure you could sanc-lock the other two empires, but overnight that effort would disappear and then you'd have to start over the next day.

In GA they have publicly released information about a "campaign" style where there are specific win conditions.  So in Planetside, there was no win condition, only an ever-lasting fight (unless you consider rabbit events to be a "win").  In Global Agenda your agency or alliance can be considered a winner over the span of a campaign, which the GA devs have compared to a sports season.   A clear start, a definite finish and a winner declared when its all done.

Do consider reading up on GA, Its A Great Game.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by M_Vex

There's a lot of information out there that you can find, maybe this post will encourage you to look into it...
    Some of the released information that you may be interested in relates to the persistence of the world.
    With Planetside, what you did didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.  Sure you could sanc-lock the other two empires, but overnight that effort would disappear and then you'd have to start over the next day.
    In GA they have publicly released information about a "campaign" style where there are specific win conditions.  So in Planetside, there was no win condition, only an ever-lasting fight (unless you consider rabbit events to be a "win").  In Global Agenda your agency or alliance can be considered a winner over the span of a campaign, which the GA devs have compared to a sports season.   A clear start, a definite finish and a winner declared when its all done.
    Do consider reading up on GA, Its A Great Game.

thanks

ya I actually dug up a fairly recent interview on GA from issue 14 of MMOzine that answered all my questions.  Sounds like its going to be pretty interesting.  I just hope they can truely make the battles seem dynamic and meaningful as they say within these small 12v12 battles

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

You should really, if you haven't already, listen to the podcast interview Cybernetic Punks did with Stew and Todd. It may help.

http://www.cyberneticpunks.com/podcasts/2178-g-c-podcast-ep-13-interview-todd-harris-stew-chisam-hi-rez-studio.html

p.s. it's rather long so make sure you got some time on your hands :]

Originally posted by Zukan

You should really, if you haven't already, listen to the podcast interview Cybernetic Punks did with Stew and Todd. It may help.

http://www.cyberneticpunks.com/podcasts/2178-g-c-podcast-ep-13-interview-todd-harris-stew-chisam-hi-rez-studio.html

sweet.  ya I work as a GIS engineer so I have a lot of data extraction hours of doing nothing but listening to various gaming podcasts throughout the week.  Im sure I can find time for this one :)

• KreepedKreeped Member Posts: 24

Thanks Zukan.

www.CyberneticPunks.com
    Hardcore Gaming Community

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

How dare ye try and compare any game with the unique sexyness of Planetside!!

I do hope this game is just as frantic although i somehow doubt it will be since it's only 12vs12 battles

I guess i will have to wait several decades for Planetside 2 so i can re-live huge scale battles with lasers and tanks and explosions and carnage and much pew-pew into the early hours of the morning.

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• XtolXtol Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Label_This

I do hope this game is just as frantic although i somehow doubt it will be since it's only 12vs12 battles

Then stop doubting... because Global Agenda does have intense/frantic PvP. ;)

• Kyus2525Kyus2525 Member Posts: 3

two things to comment on here, whilst global agenda will sport up to 12 v 12 battles this doesn't include the 60 v 60 base battle whilst this is instanced to a maximum once again of 12 v 12 there is one overall commander who can dynamically switch players between instances depending on there state. for example if alpha squad have secured an objective he can take out there recon and drop in an extra robotics player into there group and probably remove one of there healers and put them into a struggling lesser populated instance. its going to be amazing.

Also OP said there are no vehicles. global agenda subscription game will have vehicles in AVA, by competing and capturing hex's u can build factories and produce mech's as well as other technologies to enhance ur members in the next fight. as well as this in the game mode CTR (capture the robot) the robot is piloted by a member of ur teeam back to ur base and has preset abilities you can use.

• sakuceesakucee Member Posts: 3

while PS 200vs200 fights were novel... i'm not too sure i'd want that back, performance issues are one major concern... and well.. mass fights are mass fights, smaller fights promote skill much more, combine it with multiple results of same schenario i think its better implementation of the map control/campaign progress.

Besides, in smaller fights you can get much more grudge fights :)

--
    Meh.

• epicorepicor Member Posts: 60

On top of the already well described reasons for smaller fights, id like to add that the lack of open world in no way indicates a lack of content.  There are a LOT of maps, and many of them are very well designed.  If you look through the press and fansite kits there are tons of maps.

• yuleeblindyuleeblind Member Posts: 3

Im not even going to read the replies.... all I got to say is dont compare GA to PS.... AMEN!

My 2 cents!

• NymandusNymandus Member UncommonPosts: 26

GA looks great and I am definately giving it a try as soon as it comes out or I get a beta invite, however as an EX-diehard PS fan I gotta say 10v10 vs 150vs150vs150...its gonna be hard to beat that. The 'combined arms' aspect of PS was inspired, and anyone that that been on Galaxy hot dropping onto a base with reavers and mossy's covering your backside as you look down and see a courtyard filled with unsuspecting infantry, tanks, and air assets...

It's gonna be hard to beat that feeling of adrenaline when its just you and 9 squadies...on foot...

That being said...GA looks phenomenal graphically, and I hope that gameplay is just as good.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by sakucee

while PS 200vs200 fights were novel... i'm not too sure i'd want that back, performance issues are one major concern... and well.. mass fights are mass fights, smaller fights promote skill much more, combine it with multiple results of same schenario i think its better implementation of the map control/campaign progress.

These are my thoughts as well.  Smaller fights seem to require a little more "thinking" instead of huge masses of people smashing together on a battlefield (although that has its moments too).  Not to mention the benefits to game performance that you brought up as well.

I'm interested in the concept of how smaller, evenly matched fights will contribute to the larger map.  Because the simple fact is, whether you are playing Eve or Warhammer, the side who brings more numbers, 9 times out of 10, will win.  There are very few exceptions.  Having the sides always be even makes me all the more excited about this game.

Originally posted by Nymandus

GA looks great and I am definately giving it a try as soon as it comes out or I get a beta invite, however as an EX-diehard PS fan I gotta say 10v10 vs 150vs150vs150...its gonna be hard to beat that. The 'combined arms' aspect of PS was inspired, and anyone that that been on Galaxy hot dropping onto a base with reavers and mossy's covering your backside as you look down and see a courtyard filled with unsuspecting infantry, tanks, and air assets...
    It's gonna be hard to beat that feeling of adrenaline when its just you and 9 squadies...on foot...
    That being said...GA looks phenomenal graphically, and I hope that gameplay is just as good.

ya you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  Im definitely going to play the game when its released, however I still have my reserves.  Especially considering the recent announcement of upgrading planetside and a possible sequal.  I have a feeling this may squash anything that GA will bring.

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

ya you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  Im definitely going to play the game when its released, however I still have my reserves.  Especially considering the recent announcement of upgrading planetside and a possible sequal.  I have a feeling this may squash anything that GA will bring.

Agreed, if PS 2 comes out.. its GG

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I pray for a PS sequel...

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by tank017

Go wait for sony to make it then. Global Agenda is not what you're looking for.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

uhhh I AM waitng..

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

uhhh I AM waitng..

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/26/rumor-sony-survey-hints-at-planetside-2-development/

Not really proof, but a Sony executive did say they were talking about developing a Planetside 2 via a twitter. Also, I participated in their PS2 survey.

So it's most likely on the way

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

right. well, get back to me in 5 years and let me know how awesome PS2 is. cuz PS was a disaster.

it's beyond me why anyone would wanna continue doing business with SOE. psssst. they never made a successful game...this may be hint.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by sakucee

Never had any performance issues with Planetside and no lag issues, just had poor support from SOE and they ruined it like all their games. The large scale battles just took my breath away and I loved it but SOE killed off the game and without the large battles then there was no point to playing it. I mean I ain't paying a subscription for a game where  I can get bigger battles in a Free FPS like Counter Strike or TF2 lol.

I had lots of grudges in Planetside, you always had that one person where you both killed eachother loads.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by sonoggi

right. well, get back to me in 5 years and let me know how awesome PS2 is. cuz PS was a disaster.
    it's beyond me why anyone would wanna continue doing business with SOE. psssst. they never made a successful game...this may be hint.

They made lots of great games, just never kept them great lol.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Honestly, I prefer smaller battles.

So far in EVERY SINGLE PvP, it's whoever zergs wins.

Aion: zerg fest

Lineage 2: OMFG HUGE ZERG FEST

Warhammer Online: Moar zerging

StarCraft: ....nope, not zerging.

I want a game to be about skill, not about who has the most e-buddies.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Well thats fine then, its just then does that justifie it being a mmo with a monthly fee? Most would argue no, that if your gonna pay for a MMOFPS that largescale is something expect, its essentially what your paying for.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by PureChaos

Originally posted by Lienhart

Well thats fine then, its just then does that justifie it being a mmo with a monthly fee? Most would argue no, that if your gonna pay for a MMOFPS that largescale is something expect, its essentially what your paying for.

Honestly, $14.99 a month is less than 30 minutes of work for me. I could care less.

I'm not exactly sure what we're paying for (as I haven't done my research) but if this game has the polish that TF2 does, and has statistics, events, and updates more frequently...hell, that's worth it. Just because $14.99 means a world full of Elves and 2000 ppl on at once doesn't mean somebody can't try something new.

You could argue that EVERY game is a rip off except EvE-Online because last I played that, there were 50k players online at once...tell me what other game lets 50k players on ONE server.

I live to go faster...or die trying.