Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Else Waiting For A New Sandbox?

Well, I am, and we were talking about it in a global chat channel in WoW today - and even the ones who'd never heard of a sandbox game were intriguied by the idea of one and a confirmation they'd definitely try one if it came out and was polished.

So, who else is waiting for a decent, fantasy sandbox game, and are you playing a game or not?

Comments

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752

Keep waiting guys, waited for mine for 8 years.....

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Nope not waiting. I've got A Tale In the Desert and Dawntide. I'm good for now. =]

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Nope not waiting. I've got A Tale In the Desert and Dawntide. I'm good for now. =]

As I've said before, I'd love to play ATITD, but I never manage to catch it as it comes into a reroll. =(

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Devour

As I've said before, I'd love to play ATITD, but I never manage to catch it as it comes into a reroll. =(

I didn't either. Still enjoyable. ;)

Yeah, I'm honestly waiting on the killer MMORTS though. xD

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm currently wornout with the theme park linear mmos at the moment. Having a very good sandbox to play would be refreshing.

• Would love nothing more than a hybrid.  I'd give a shot to a sandbox without full loot pvp.  Heck, I don't even mind open pvp.  But full loot?  Nah.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I play WURM, now *thats* a sandbox... literally, you can sit in a pit of sand and make it a castle.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

It would be really nice to see a decent online game get released where the players can actually influence and change the gameworld. I'm not waiting for one though as I dont expect to see one any time in the near future. Who knows maybe in 5 or possibly even 10 years time a good one might pop up.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by neonwire

It would be really nice to see a decent online game get released where the players can actually influence and change the gameworld. I'm not waiting for one though as I dont expect to see one any time in the near future. Who knows maybe in 5 or possibly even 10 years time a good one might pop up.

Read above comment...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The NDA on Mortal Online was lifted today, so more information on that game will no doubt be forthcoming.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I am. I'm playing FE which is a hybrid to me (and don't bother quoting me and trying to pick a fight about what is/isn't a hybrid or what features make it a hybrid- I'm not biting; I've had that debate too many times already, lol).

But yeah, I'm always excited to see a new sandbox game come up. I'm just disappointed that the only ones lately are being done by indy companies. I'd really like to see one made by a company that has the big time budget to put a real solid, full of depth effort into it. A company that can put a SWG(preNGE) like crafting system (with respect to item combinations, factors, variety) into every system/mechanic/feature.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If by sandbox, you mean like UO when it first came out, you can count me OUT.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

If by sandbox, you mean like UO when it first came out, you can count me OUT.

Basically, yes, but with a few touch ups.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I've been waiting years, ever since UO, and later SWG, were both destroyed by their corporate overlords making fundamental changes to the games that no one asked for.

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Anyone else not-waiting for a sandbox because ALL of them have sucked?

fixed

Whatever thinking goes into a sandbox the end result is a bad excuse for no content and lotsa boring grind.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

Unless it is called Ultima Online with an isometric view, and todays graphics, I'm not really interested.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by neonwire

Yeah what he said.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

This thread sounds like tautology to me, why wait for a new sandbox game, when no dobut you have an existing sandbox game?!?

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

Been playing EVE online and for me it's definition of sandbox. I loved skill system - no grind, you just log in and do whatever you want.

I just hope World of Darkness MMO would be as sandboxy as EVE but not much information about it as for now.

Currently playing FE just for no auto-aim combat and moderate crafting (at least better from other games) but it's not sandbox at all.

Originally posted by VultureSkull

This thread sounds like tautology to me, why wait for a new sandbox game, when no dobut you have an existing sandbox game?!?

Because there are next to none?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by GTwander

I play WURM, now *thats* a sandbox... literally, you can sit in a pit of sand and make it a castle.

Myself not into Wurm, but do feel it's the closest we can get within this genre of being a sandbox MMORPG's.

But like Khalathwyr I am enjoying FE, which is more a open world MMORPG atleast to me which I like allot. I like freedom I truly dislike the holy trinity, thankfully FE is giving me this freedom back that for my type of playstyle has been lost with most current MMORPG's.

Overall I don't know what people expect from a full sandbox MMORPG, I played a couple that had sandbox like feature's, like SWG, I also played UO but didn't like it as much as I did like SWG. But both are no full sandbox games but in their own way games with sandbox feature's, atleast the way I see them which is pure based on my own opinion.

Overall I want my MMORPG experiance to be that of a Open World, prefered all on one server, plenty of options ranging from combat classes to several none combat classes. Like Neonwire said I also would like to see more influence and change that can be done by the players in the gameworld, action/consequence.

And like Khalathwyr said I like to see it being made by a A-tittle company, I love what some indie devs/company's do develop, but would even love it more seeing it from those who do have a budget.

But for now will enjoy and in a small way (sub-fee) support the game I am currently enjoying which is Fallen Earth.

So not sure how to wait for something that has never really be realized other then games having certain sandbox feature's, and please EVE is not a sandbox game but also a game that has sandbox feature's again in my own opinion, thought from most current games it does offer the most options you could find in a sandbox, but in its own way it's still abit to limited to be a full sandbox game, but I am sure that eventualy EVE will reach that state where it can call itself a full sandbox game due to the many things they have planned for the game and will impliment into EVE.

Simcity or LittleBigPlanet are what I would consider full sandbox games, and not seen a MMORPG even come close to those type of possibility's other then what I started with mentioning Wurm.

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

People still play A Tale in the Desert?  Oh shit...

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by drago_pl

Been playing EVE online and for me it's definition of sandbox. I loved skill system - no grind, you just log in and do whatever you want.
    I just hope World of Darkness MMO would be as sandboxy as EVE but not much information about it as for now.
    Currently playing FE just for no auto-aim combat and moderate crafting (at least better from other games) but it's not sandbox at all.

WoD would be the one I am waiting on as I love EvE, though I no longer play.  Otherwise I am not too worried about the next sandbox to come as I feel perfectly fine as an MMO drifter for the time being.

• JugaBroJugaBro Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Myself not into Wurm, but do feel it's the closest we can get within this genre of being a sandbox MMORPG's.

But like Khalathwyr I am enjoying FE, which is more a open world MMORPG atleast to me which I like allot. I like freedom I truly dislike the holy trinity, thankfully FE is giving me this freedom back that for my type of playstyle has been lost with most current MMORPG's.

Overall I don't know what people expect from a full sandbox MMORPG, I played a couple that had sandbox like feature's, like SWG, I also played UO but didn't like it as much as I did like SWG. But both are no full sandbox games but in their own way games with sandbox feature's, atleast the way I see them which is pure based on my own opinion.

Overall I want my MMORPG experiance to be that of a Open World, prefered all on one server, plenty of options ranging from combat classes to several none combat classes. Like Neonwire said I also would like to see more influence and change that can be done by the players in the gameworld, action/consequence.

And like Khalathwyr said I like to see it being made by a A-tittle company, I love what some indie devs/company's do develop, but would even love it more seeing it from those who do have a budget.

But for now will enjoy and in a small way (sub-fee) support the game I am currently enjoying which is Fallen Earth.

So not sure how to wait for something that has never really be realized other then games having certain sandbox feature's, and please EVE is not a sandbox game but also a game that has sandbox feature's again in my own opinion, thought from most current games it does offer the most options you could find in a sandbox, but in its own way it's still abit to limited to be a full sandbox game, but I am sure that eventualy EVE will reach that state where it can call itself a full sandbox game due to the many things they have planned for the game and will impliment into EVE.

Simcity or LittleBigPlanet are what I would consider full sandbox games, and not seen a MMORPG even come close to those type of possibility's other then what I started with mentioning Wurm.

Well, there is a game that's been around since around August this year that is definitly a sandbox game in many of your guys's definitions. Yes, it is indie developed. Yes, it isn't very polished, but it's definitly a sandbox where players control everything that occurs in the game. For you specifically, Reklaw, it fits what you call a good sandbox.

The game is called Haven and Hearth. It's a game where your thrown into the wilderness, and given the opportunity to do just about anything you want. It's what I'd call "the new Wurm", considering Wurm's recent decline. This guide best explains the game in its entirety: www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php   

I have personally enjoyed this game to no end, the first time for me with MMO's. I've even gotten many of my friends who don't even play MMO's to play it with me. Anyway, I just mean to give this MMO as an example of what you may be looking for.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by JugaBro

Originally posted by Reklaw

Well, there is a game that's been around since around August this year that is definitly a sandbox game in many of your guys's definitions. Yes, it is indie developed. Yes, it isn't very polished, but it's definitly a sandbox where players control everything that occurs in the game. For you specifically, Reklaw, it fits what you call a good sandbox.

The game is called Haven and Hearth. It's a game where your thrown into the wilderness, and given the opportunity to do just about anything you want. It's what I'd call "the new Wurm", considering Wurm's recent decline. This guide best explains the game in its entirety: www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php   

I have personally enjoyed this game to no end, the first time for me with MMO's. I've even gotten many of my friends who don't even play MMO's to play it with me. Anyway, I just mean to give this MMO as an example of what you may be looking for.

Thanks Jugabro for posting this, I have looked at it but will admit that's it's not the game for me, yes in a way I am spoiled as being a gamer for 30+ years aswell being with online games aka MMO's since meridian59/UO, meaning I agree on you that it's the feature's in H&E that do make it a sandbox game, So I was wrong in only mentioning Wurm or those other 2 games.

But the way I am spoiled is graphic wise, personaly I feel that FE is my limit in how graphics may look to enjoy, I don't feel FE is bad looking, just somewhat dated, still has allot of detail, and I am very much enjoying the game, but H&E is abit to dated for my viewing taste to be honost.

The way I would really want a sandbox MMORPG would still take a few years before I feel tech. is able to make it into a MMORPG, meaning let's say I like to see a sandbox game nearing AoC graphics, technicly this isn't possible just yet as we still are bound to many limitations, kinda the reason why AoC does look great but has instances at many places, would for example AoC be a more sandbox game that gives players allot more freedom it would mean they need to sacrifice many things in the game, for example with current tech the world would even be smaller if they want to keep it's looks.

I also think that if FE wasn't so much of a Open World game but if they choose to make the graphics more high end that the game might have gotten instances aswell. Personaly I also feel performance is GREAT in FE, but I take into account that it's one server with people from over the world and I am even a EU player so the little hickups I get in major towns due to many people at the same spot is very excepteble for the freedom the game provide's me.

I think the option and freedom in H&E is great, just visually not appealing to me, but thanks never the less. I alway's like it when games are pointed out to me I was not really aware of, regardless if I do indeed like or dislike them.