Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closest current game to EQ Classic?

biaxilbiaxil Member UncommonPosts: 35

Is there one.  I'm talking EQ1, pre-Luclin.

Loved EQ Classic and hates that carebears had it changed.

Comments

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Well if you can get a hold of a Mac, it's server only goes up to the PoP expansion and plenty of people have said it would work as a great classic server for vets.

Other than that, I've heard nice things about Vanguard...well...besides the fact that SOE owns it and the population is pretty down there.

• biaxilbiaxil Member UncommonPosts: 35

I'm a pc. but also, even though it only goes to pop,  a lot of the changes that the game had killed it for me.

Loved EQ Classic and hates that carebears had it changed.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

dude if you haven't tried World of Warcraft, what are you waiting for. Most people hate that game for a variety of reasons, but the truth is most people have played that game and played for more than a year. 

I found it as close to eq as any mmo out there, i guess maybe vanguard but the gameplay in vanguard is fucking terrible just like eq2. 

• mightyikarimightyikari Member Posts: 101

Give Runes of Magic a try, it's free so there is no loss in trying.  I never played EQ however RoM has tons of features and things to do, there must be some similarities.

Like I say, because I like to be thrifty, it's free and well worth a look.

http://www.recycleyourgames.co.uk - Recycle Your Games and Consoles. Help the Environment and Charity!

• ClobsterClobster Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

dude if you haven't tried World of Warcraft, what are you waiting for. Most people hate that game for a variety of reasons, but the truth is most people have played that game and played for more than a year. 
    I found it as close to eq as any mmo out there, i guess maybe vanguard but the gameplay in vanguard is fucking terrible just like eq2. 

WoW is NOTHING like EQ. Where did you come up with that idea? Did you even play EQ? If you did, I would never rely on you for a comparison of anything.

With that said, if you find a game close to EQ classic, shoot me a message and tell me what it is. I'd love a game close to EQ classic.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Clobster

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

WoW is NOTHING like EQ. Where did you come up with that idea? Did you even play EQ? If you did, I would never rely on you for a comparison of anything.

With that said, if you find a game close to EQ classic, shoot me a message and tell me what it is. I'd love a game close to EQ classic.

There just arent many pure grind group only games with massive end game raiding options. Maybe Final Fantasy?  WoW is completely different from EQ compared to other games. EQ was a the ultimate ball breaking harsh grindfest grouping game.  WoW is a carebear solo game till you raid.

EQ2 and Vanguard are both WoW clones much more than EQ clones.  They are quest based themeparks.

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

Well, I haven't played WoW before but in the past I would meet a few here and there in EQ and from their statements, I would have to agree that WoW is likely nothing like EQ. 

Those WoW players in EQ that I had met didn't know anything about controlling chain heals, how to cc mobs, holding/pulling aggro, twisting songs, split tanking, etc. I can only assume that WoW plays like a fps and its basically just a zerg fest cos all those guys ever did was to run right into a group of mobs and hit the atk button.

I have no intention to beat on WoW players btw, just stating that, that was my experience with WoW players. For all I know they could be totally crap in WoW too.

With that being said, *Agreed* that EQ is a massive grind fest but it sure as hell was fun at the time :D

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I was going to say WoW also. Mostly because of the large variety of classes and races. Also, the high fantasy setting and the auto attack combat. The emphasis on raids and stats. Low current system requirements. Tank/Healer/DPS groups.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

WoW is NOTHING at all like EQ in terms of playstyle.

WoW is a casual, solo friendly game.

EQ was a very hardcore group centric game.

I'd say the closest thing you will find is Final Fantasy 11. I've even thought of returning myself.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by biaxil

Is there one.  I'm talking EQ1, pre-Luclin.

EQ Classic was the best ever. Unluckily  EQ2 was a disaster.  SOE failed totally after Luclin.

I am very optimistic about the development of Mortal Online. It is also pretty hard core with no hand holding, no minimap, not quest dependent, no instances, but it's PvP, FPV-only, torches, you can build houses almost wherever you want, build also bridges, hit boxes and you hit where you aim, tame animals (horses and pets), epic creatures that is spawned just one time (after death they don't spawn again), large high mountains you can climb if it's not to steep, seamsless loading with no zones, etc ...

MO don't have any levels, it's skill based, but they have focus on doing it more important with real player skill. 

Beta is going on and the release will be around new year. 

http://www.mortalonline.com

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Man, a group-centric game now days?  Good luck.  Not only in finding one, but finding one with a population.

I seriously cannot think of a decent MMO out that is like EQ Classic that has a friendly population that can support group-based levelling.  Nearly everything is solo- or quest-centered now days until endgame.

Other than Vanguard, I don't really know, but A Tale in the Desert (yes I will keep recommending it. Indie games ftw!) is very community based. =]

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

The closest you may get is Final Fantasy 11. Its very group oriented and requires some thought to play adequately. And more to play well.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I would have to say FFXI is the closest to the limited options and ultimate grindfest EQ1 was. Don't get me wrong I loved EQ back in the day when the only choices were MUDS, UO or EQ.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by ghettobooste

EQ2 and Vanguard are both WoW clones much more than EQ clones.  They are quest based themeparks.

EQ2 was released prior to WoW.

Vanguard is much more the offspring of EQ than WoW.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? >.>

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by raystantz

I'd say the closest thing you will find is Final Fantasy 11. I've even thought of returning myself.

Maybe your playsyle. What if I played EQ casually and WoW hardcore? Who said I didn't grind mobs in WoW instead of doing quests to level? Playstyle is subjective, features are not, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by raystantz

I'd have to agree with that statement, I don't suppose they'll ever make an EQ classic type game again.   Up to Luclin I loved EQ...after that not so much.  I played in the last phase beta and then release..up and including Luclin.  Left after that..lost interest.

Probably ..if you don't mind Korean type games that are out there, most are pretty much grind fests, or at least the ones I have experienced.    Other than that, I think I too am looking for a good game with a good community.....rare these days methinks.

Experienced Wow's community...I won't go into details other than.....4 year old repeated jokes seem to be the flavour of the day over there, plus alot of immaturity in the general chat........

I've receded into rpgs still looking for a good sci-fi or fantasy MMO....before I retire finally from gaming.  Been at it a long time..hehe

Just did three runs through Dragon Age: Origins rpg...loved it.  But now I am done and looking for something else. :)

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

EQ2 was released prior to WoW.

Vanguard is much more the offspring of EQ than WoW.

EQII was released "barely" before Wow...literally.  SOE released EQII ..early to create competition with Wow's release. :P  Thats not to say there's anything wrong with that..its just a competitive business.   As for clones..I think as EQII went along it became more like a Wow clone, but not at release.  As for Vanguard..it was actually meant to be the "true sequel" to EQI..........really.   If it has been changed to more Wowclone like..its because of the new ..head of the team.......not Sigil.   SOE owns it now, and SOE will do what it must to compete out there..including clonage I suppose.  *sigh*

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

People should not go around saying WoW clone WoW clone.. heres a few facts for you

1. When a game is hard to level and require lots of group grinding, 99% of you will QQ and rage quit and say the game sucks and has no content, just because you have to spend 20 hours or more getting a level. (EQ1 pre luclin)

2. MMORPG companies are out there to make money so if 99% which is basically majority of you want an easy game they are going to give it to you. EQ2 at release was extremely hard and not noob friendly. When WoW came out it completely was ignore due to the fact that WoW was more quest friendly from start even though it wasn't as easy as it is today.

3. When you guys don't want a care-bear WoW clone game don't complain when a game is hard and it won't get changed. If people are complaining is hard go in the forum and troll them until they quit =).