Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Fallout MMO Screenshots Surface

Comments

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

WOW called, they want their orc back...

Im joking, anyhow im glad something like this is taking place. I just hope it captures the character of the fallout world.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

REALITY CHECK

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

For FallOut 3 fans, I find it highly unlikely that any studio could make an MMO that would capture the coolness of FO3.

The idea of a post apocalyptic MMO is cool but after playing FO3 I doubt I could enjoy such a game unless it was a very very different take on the genre.

It would with out saying need to be an M rated game to be worth it as well.

As for the screen shots they look like they may have been going for a cell shaded look which is ok only if it is for two reasons in my opinion.

1. If they feel the cell shaded look will fit there story and game.

2. If it allows for lower system requirements and allows for larger amounts of content to be created.

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by uttaus

For FallOut 3 fans, I find it highly unlikely that any studio could make an MMO that would capture the coolness of FO3.
    The idea of a post apocalyptic MMO is cool but after playing FO3 I doubt I could enjoy such a game unless it was a very very different take on the genre.
    It would with out saying need to be an M rated game to be worth it as well.

As for the screen shots they look like they may have been going for a cell shaded look which is ok only if it is for two reasons in my opinion.
    1. If they feel the cell shaded look will fit there story and game.
    2. If it allows for lower system requirements and allows for larger amounts of content to be created.

There's just no way cell shading would work with the atmosphere of Fallout, at least in my opinion. I passed up Borderlands because of cell shading. It just doesn't fit "grittier" games.

Personally, that doesn't look like cell shading to me, though. It look like they tried to copy Bethesda's style mixed with the "cartoony" textures of WoW. Which is even worse, imho.

image]image

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

I personally enjoyed Fallout 3, I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt, even though I don't agree with the graphics style they are going for.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Wait...so now we'll have two fallout mmos...crazy stuff

Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Nikopol

Interplay is not what it used to be, having lost all the creative juices behind classics like the first two Fallout games and Planescape: Torment... (most of them are at Obsidian now) Still... I'd prefer them making this game than Bethesda, who in my opinion does one uninspired game after another.

How does it feel being one of the ten people on the entire planet that thinks Bethesda sucks?

QFT

Originally posted by SonikFlash

Wait...so now we'll have two fallout mmos...crazy stuff

I doubt it. Last I heard Bethesda and Interplay are still locked in a court battle over Interplay not living up to the agreed terms of their mmo license. The "screenshots" here are supposedly part of the evidence Interplay is trying to use to counteract Bethesda's claims. I still don't think Interplay will come out ahead against Bethesda, the contract had VERY narrow stipulations and time frames.

image]image

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Originally posted by Astralglide

Originally posted by Malickie

after falout 3 disaster.

If winning numerous awards and selling copy after copy is a disaster I guess every studio is praying for such ill fortune.

How was Fallout 3 in anyway a disaster? They managed to resurrect this dead game beloved by millions, keep the themes and allow players to create and share custom content. I would like to see another Fallout in the style of the first two, but calling Fallout 3 a disaster is like calling WoW a disaster. You don't have to like the game, but you can't deny it's success.

First let me explain myself.  Fallout 3 was a total steaming pile of junk. I installed that on my computer.  Every time I tured around it would have erros with the game.  The game contunually crashed. Even with the updated stuff that I downloaded through the patches.  I hated the combat in this game especially the part added to zoom in on and focus on.  The game was such a steaming pile of junk I never got out of the main megaton city where your suposed to put the detonator on the bomb.  I don't know how you would say it resurected  Fallout 1 or 2. Too bad that fallout 2 dont run on dx10 or I would still play it from time to time.  Most fallout folks I know actually hatted Fallout 3.  Gosh knows I did, it was buggy and probably one of the worst games I ever spent money on.  To bad direct to drive does not give refunds. Lets just say I will never ever buy anything else made by them ever.

QFT.  Fallout 3 sucks.  Stupid story.  Stats doesnt mean a thing.  Not as edgy as Fallout 1 and 2.  No child killing no sleeping with hookers, no gambling, no boxing champ, no martial arts champ,  just stupid VATS .

I hope Interplay keeps control of the fallout mmo franchise.

The only game I really enjoy is elder scrolls bethseda all the way...every game released in between an elder scrolls game is just filler content :)

Originally posted by Cognoman

Originally posted by Astralglide

Originally posted by Malickie

after falout 3 disaster.

If winning numerous awards and selling copy after copy is a disaster I guess every studio is praying for such ill fortune.

How was Fallout 3 in anyway a disaster? They managed to resurrect this dead game beloved by millions, keep the themes and allow players to create and share custom content. I would like to see another Fallout in the style of the first two, but calling Fallout 3 a disaster is like calling WoW a disaster. You don't have to like the game, but you can't deny it's success.

First let me explain myself.  Fallout 3 was a total steaming pile of junk. I installed that on my computer.  Every time I tured around it would have erros with the game.  The game contunually crashed. Even with the updated stuff that I downloaded through the patches.  I hated the combat in this game especially the part added to zoom in on and focus on.  The game was such a steaming pile of junk I never got out of the main megaton city where your suposed to put the detonator on the bomb.  I don't know how you would say it resurected  Fallout 1 or 2. Too bad that fallout 2 dont run on dx10 or I would still play it from time to time.  Most fallout folks I know actually hatted Fallout 3.  Gosh knows I did, it was buggy and probably one of the worst games I ever spent money on.  To bad direct to drive does not give refunds. Lets just say I will never ever buy anything else made by them ever.

QFT.  Fallout 3 sucks.  Stupid story.  Stats doesnt mean a thing.  Not as edgy as Fallout 1 and 2.  No child killing no sleeping with hookers, no gambling, no boxing champ, no martial arts champ,  just stupid VATS .

I hope Interplay keeps control of the fallout mmo franchise.

Hate to break it to you, but you won't get child killing from Interplay either. Bethesda didn't leave it out for no reason. Times are different now, and child killing in any game nowadays would only kill the game itself. Bioshock barely scraped by because they portrayed the sisters as more monster than human.

And I guess you never went into Megaton, because you sure as hell can pay to sleep with hookers, it just doesn't show you screwing.

image]image

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

Interplay no longer controls the Fallout license, so there is no hoping they can keep control of something they no longer have posession of. they were allowed, by Bethesda, to use the license to create an MMO, after Bethesda bought the license. Interplay has apparently failed to live up to the stipulations in the contract, and Bethesda has brought them to court for failing to meet the obligations set forth in said contract.

Interplay is from a bygone era. They did great games. They were the forefathers of the PC RPG, along with Black Isle and Bioware. But times are changing, technology is changing. Games MUST change with those, or they fall into the void of games that could have been.

I LOVED Fallout 1 and 2. But my favorite is Fallout 3. I felt MORE immersed in the wastes with the first person perspective, the action was intense, and it took a little more thought and skill to fight. A turn based, top-down, 3rd person RPG no longer works in this day and age. It's technology of an era past.

Those who hate Bethesda, do because they feel cheated. Feel cheated of a style classic to the genre, but none complains when other games do that. Like Warcraft. It was an RTS. It changed into a hybrid RTS/RPG. Then it became a full blown MMO. And it became the most successful MMO in the industry.

Fallout has done the same thing, in a way. It was a great game. It got better, and now, with the new era, changed to fit it, and has become one of the best RPG's. And to all those who say Fallout 3 is just an Oblivion reskinned, I challenge you to play each game as the other. Try playing Oblivion like Fallout 3. Try playing Fallout 3 like Oblivion. Do each one for 5 hours or more before switching, then come back and tell me they are the same.

The keys are different, game style is different, the engine has been reworked. I tried it. I died. A lot. Trying to play each game as the other. Fallout 3 is not a reskinned game. It's a new game using a familiar engine with upgraded capabilities. MANY games use this. Look at ALL the games that use the Unreal Engine. If you wanna complain about sameness, go with that. Wait, but each game is fundementaly different from the other, even though the core may be the same. Shocker.

Interplay needs to go the way of the ghost. They are old news. They did their great works. Now it's time for the new cats to do theirs.

EDIT: Let's also not forget the major fumbles and inconsistancies that were in Fallout 2. Oh, who was part of that? Interplay. Oh, Brotherhood of Steel? Interplay. Tactics? Laughable. Interplay. Those last two were so far off base from the original they could have been beasts all their own, with a different name, and no one would be none the wiser.

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Originally posted by Borkotron

Silly Interplay. You aren't Bethesda!

Thank God for that. Considering how badly they butchered the IP with Fallout 3, I'm glad they have nothing to do with this. At least, I hope not.

this

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91

those alphas screens looks much better then your mainstream Fallout 3 crap, lets hope interplay will finish this, and show you and the idiots from Bethecrapsta what a reall Fallout game is.

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by ioryadragon

Thank God for that. Considering how badly they butchered the IP with Fallout 3, I'm glad they have nothing to do with this. At least, I hope not.

this

Interplay butchered their own IP pretty hard. Fallout 2 was a mess of inconsistant story telling, Brotherhood of Steel was a disaster, and only the main parts of Tactics are even considered semi-canon.

EDIT: The screenshots look like a terrible mix of an f2p MMO, WoW, and an inkling of Fallout.

Fallout 3 was by far superior to many other RPG's. F1 and 2 were great games, don't get me wrong, but Fallout 3 was, to me, the best way to go for a post-apoc rpg. And the numbers, awards, sales, and constant opoularity and high ranking still now, says so.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Funny how users with to much time so easily can hijack a thread about a mmo that most of us gamers look forward to in someway. But that is what you get when you use a open internet forum i guess- the not so brightest stars in the class must also have a place to gather.

Hopefully they will give us better info about their game and not just a  random picture now and then.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

Originally posted by astrob0y

Funny how users with to much time so easily can hijack a thread about a mmo that most of us gamers look forward to in someway. But that is what you get when you use a open internet forum i guess- the not so brightest stars in the class must also have a place to gather.
    Hopefully they will give us better info about their game and not just a  random picture now and then.

Funny how someone who didn't even read the thread can complain about others. Interplay didn't give anyone any info. The "screenshots" were pulled off of the wiki. Until the lawsuit is concluded, they have no game.

image]image

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Lets hope Interplay can finish and make this a quality mmo. We need more good mmos these days.

Originally posted by Zorvan01

Funny how someone who didn't even read the thread can complain about others. Interplay didn't give anyone any info. The "screenshots" were pulled off of the wiki. Until the lawsuit is concluded, they have no game.

Funny that someone still believes in "leaked" pictures. We are all discussing this game as a game in progress at this thread and you have to start to complain about my use of words. Rather strange and random. Please dont try to be rude to a random internet user with this kind of crap in the future. It can hurt feelings and also make you look rather strange. And if you really need to answer this, please do so with a pm but I rather see no answer at all.

Back to the topic

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Interplay is not what it used to be, having lost all the creative juices behind classics like the first two Fallout games and Planescape: Torment... (most of them are at Obsidian now) Still... I'd prefer them making this game than Bethesda, who in my opinion does one uninspired game after another.

How does it feel being one of the ten people on the entire planet that thinks Bethesda sucks?

Feels nothing special, as it's no biggie. It's called personal choice and taste. Finding oneself in the minority is something that can happen to anybody in this or that aspect of life, especially when it comes to taste in the arts, literature and games, so growing up you get used to it and take care not to make a big deal out of it. That's the healthy stance! :) Here are some other examples: I think Everquest was uninspired, too - yeah, I'm in the minority here. I think Wordsworth's poetry was pedestrian - in the minority. I thought Alice in Chains was a better band than Nirvana - again, minority. Hey, I don't like The Dark Knight at all and prefer Burton's Batman movies to Nolan's by far - yep, minority.  I'm really fine with it. In the majority here, in the minority there, all's good. Whereas your post implies I must somehow be threatened or feel lonely, hmm? What, is the world filled with taste-zombies out to get the 10 of us or something? :)

I also have a very good idea on why Bethesda's take on games leaves me cold, and believe me I can talk about it at length, but that'd just be derailing the thread. I just wanted to chime in to represent the minority - however small it may be, 10, or 10 thousand - that is not impressed with the way Bethesda handles gameplay and particularly the Fallout licence, and would rather see someone else take it on as an MMO project. To me, today's Interplay is an unknown quantity, whereas Bethesda is pretty much a known quantity that I've tried several times and am not too impressed with.

Originally posted by Zorvan01

Funny that someone still believes in "leaked" pictures. We are all discussing this game as a game in progress at this thread and you have to start to complain about my use of words. Rather strange and random. Please dont try to be rude to a random internet user with this kind of crap in the future. It can hurt feelings and also make you look rather strange. And if you really need to answer this, please do so with a pm but I rather see no answer at all.

Back to the topic

I'd rather see my answer. If my response hurt your feelings, you have more important things to worry about. I'd suggest perhaps a break from forums is due until you are more readily able to withstand random verbage. Especially when you insult the members here but can't handle a smidgen of heat directed back at you.

image]image

To me, today's Interplay is an unknown quantity, whereas Bethesda is pretty much a known quantity that I've tried several times and am not too impressed with.

But in the same way Bethesda is rather unknown as a mmo maker and has the same experince as Interplay. And as someone told earlier many guys that made Fallout 1&2 is now working at Bethesda. 

To me, today's Interplay is an unknown quantity, whereas Bethesda is pretty much a known quantity that I've tried several times and am not too impressed with.

But in the same way Bethesda is rather unknown as a mmo maker and has the same experince as Interplay. And as someone told earlier many guys that made Fallout 1&2 is now working at Obsidian. 

Fixed.

image]image

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by ghettobooste

Seriously?

Fallout 3 is only one the best games of all time.  I suppose you could have hoped it was more like Dragon Age or the original Fallouts, but the game they made is freakin amazing!

I'd rather any company make a game over bethesa, Never seen a game dev break more than they fix with every patch. Fallout game of the year edition CTD's anytime I try it play it on my pc. I more than meet the req's and it worked fine before 1.7

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

I'm going to put this in the same box as Stargate Worlds I'm afraid. It's just one of those games you really really want but not even god himself will be able to bring this to the table.