Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with good end game.

nall44nall44 Member Posts: 4

Hey,

I've been jumping from f2p to f2p since quitting WoW when my friend joined the Navy and I've been somewhat disappointed with the longevity. Most games I played for a month or two, got bored and left. What I'm looking for is a game that focuses mostly on end game PvE stuff like dungeons and raids, preferably one that has more than 2 people on at once ^ ^' . What I've run into is that most games focus on PvP either because the game was crafted that way or because most people enjoy slaughtering other people rather than source code. I'm hoping to find a game with enough people that grouping doesn't take forever and where instances are well done. Honestly, being able to gather up some guildies and then take out some large, ferocious beast using teamwork is a fun activity I have missed since leaving WoW.

Thanks for any replies

-Nall-

Comments

• NinjaNerfNinjaNerf Member Posts: 163

Why not just going back to WOW?

WOW is by far the most popular mmorpg with the richest endgame raid content. Unless you really got bored with wow and want to try something, I don't see what's wrong with WOW.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Lord of the Rings Online

Enough like WoW so that it will be familiar feeling but different enough to keep you entertained for a long time. Also there is hardly any PVP, its basically all PVE and the community is wonderful.

Vanguard is the best PVE game out but the pop is a bit low.

You could also look into EQ2 but it might take you awhile to catch up to the rest.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• nall44nall44 Member Posts: 4

Me and WoW have had a very on-off relationship. I've left multiple times due to "greener"(yet obviously not) pastures and returned several times as well. The problem is that every time I've gone back it hasn't worked out well. I've been through many guilds but have never made it through an entire raid instance because they either didn't have the drive or time. I tried to make my own guild which was possibly one of my worst MMO mistakes ever ^_^ . I've just never had luck progressing. Plus after playing for so many years all of the classes have become somewhat boring to play. I no longer have fun with any of the skills or strategies, it basically feels like pressing the same three buttons over and over and just looking at the raw numbers. An example, every time my fireball spell rounded to the next thousand mark it was like a party compared to the norm.

As for the others, I never tried LOTRO but after looking at it I was somewhat turned off, I can definitely take another look. I tried EQ2 twice and never made it past 25. As for Vanguard, to this date I have never played a better MMO. It takes the top spot by a large margin. I love the complexity of the combat system, the classes are fun and it was a very community based game. However, that was its downfall. I couldn't play it anymore because it seemed there was no one on. There were times I would play the game for a three or four hour sitting and not see another player on screen. As for grouping that was another hurdle entirely. If Vanguard had the number of players some of the more popular games had it would be amazing. Sometimes I wonder to myself how it didn't take off. What info I did gather was that some people found it too complex (such as my Navy friend), which I can't comprehend myself, the more I have to micromanage the more fun I have.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a little too picky, I always seem to find some reason I don't like a game. But I've tried to compromise to no avail. The main problem I always find is the community. To me it always seems there are too few people playing, the exception being WoW where you practically had to lag your way to the AH. This problem may stem from the fact that I always pick the RP or PvE servers to avoid being raped by another player, but those are also the lowest pop servers.

Thanks for the replies, any other suggestion would be great.

-Nall-

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hmm. The budget games are DDO or Guildwars. GW have an actual start and end but loads of content, it is worth a try I you havn't played it before.

For the P2P I would say EQ2 is worth a look, it is similar but different to Wow with massive content. Do a free trial and see how you like it. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Does any mmo really have a good endgame ? I don't know, I guess it depends on what you like to do.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

What made you leave EQ2?    To be honest level 25 in that game is absolutely nothing, i know it sounds silly but at that level you still dont have a feel for what the game will be like, apart from the basic systems, the pace of everything changes alot. EQ2's endgame is very good... tons of content. If you just didnt enjoy the lore, couldnt stomach similarities to other mmo's or whatever its a shame as its undoubtably a good game, infact i keep going back to it but i have played basically ever mmorpg there is. lol :P

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

I agree with most people on EQ2 at lvl 25.. u haven't really done anything. When it first launched you just turn your class at lvl 20 so yeah.. At lvl 70+ is when you understand your class a lot and get a solid feel of the game. Play with friends join friendly guilds and leveling 1-70 would only take 1-2 weeks if you play alot.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

DDO and LoTRO both have end game that can be a blast.  DDO might have a better pop, however LoTRO has a great community.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

I am searching for a f2p game atm myself.

To answer your question in my own opinion, I would say for PvE Lotro is a shot in the dark, you will either love it or hate it. I have a 60 Captain on Firefoot and i dislike the game very much so. The End game to lotro I personally found to be boring.  However, the game it's self is very well made and leveling isn't so bad. I leveled to 60 before the exp requirements were lowered, but the game all in all is fun. I think my main problem with lotro was the Captain. I am the type of player that likes to get 1 character max and work on him as my main. As far as alts go, unless every race has a differnt starting areas , like eq, and differnt places to go to level , my alts may only ever get to like 20 or 30 at most. So don't take my opinion for lotro to heart lol. I just hated the captain.

EQ2, is alot of fun. The only drawback to EQ2 is population. Unless it has risen severly since I have left then leveling around 55-70 kinda sux. However, the crafting is excellent, the character creation is one of the best, music is good, graphics are good, and the housing system is very fun. Unfortunetly I never made it end game. I had a 59 DE Necro, 58 Kerra Fury then some lvl 20s and 30s and a 40. But, like I said could never get a group =/ . I would have to say if you decide to go with EQ2 make sure you pick the most populated server and get in a guild fast.

Other than those two for PvE end game content I would say keep checking out f2p games until something better comes out. I am personally waiting for Starwars The Old Republic.

Cheap Fun Games I can suggest are -

Rumble Fighter - Lol, this game is fun for a bit.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - The combat is fun.

Guilds Wars - Think you can pick it up for like $20.

Free Realms - Loads up quick and you can kill some time on it.

Rakion - Google it, it's pretty neato.

Umm...hrmm.. that's all I can think of atm. If I come across a decent f2p I will reply. ^_^

Kick to the Face.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

any really good MMO has no "end game" this is why people get to this so called end of the game and cry there is no content,

a good MMO will give you a choice to do what ever you want when ever you want in the game once you cap out your skills if they let you cap them to start

this new trend of lvl as fast as you can to get to the end just to find out there is nothing to do is killing newer MMO of today

a good MMO NEVER ENDS !  saying i am at the end game of a MMO that is a oxymoron and most that want never ending games with this end game are morons !

a good never ending MMo gives you a reason to log in to PLAY, they let you harvest to craft items that decay so you have a reason to spend time making items

people that call them self  "gamers" today are glory hogs that run as fast as they can to the end just to say they made it first

real gamers love the race for the FUN TIMES they get along the way !!

....a real MMO is a virtual world !!

• nall44nall44 Member Posts: 4

Ok, I'm going to clear something up for you demented. When I say end game I mean once you max out the character level what else remains. Usually this involves hunting for superior gear, mastering any crafting system and killing large angry monsters. So technically it coincides with what you had to say about a game never losing its appeal. I agree with you, it sucks when you get to max level and have nothing else to do besides create a new alt and run through again. Anyway, end game is merely a term used and not a perceived ending to an MMO.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by demented669

any really good MMO has no "end game" this is why people get to this so called end of the game and cry there is no content,
    a good MMO will give you a choice to do what ever you want when ever you want in the game once you cap out your skills if they let you cap them to start
    this new trend of lvl as fast as you can to get to the end just to find out there is nothing to do is killing newer MMO of today
    a good MMO NEVER ENDS !  saying i am at the end game of a MMO that is a oxymoron and most that want never ending games with this end game are morons !
    a good never ending MMo gives you a reason to log in to PLAY, they let you harvest to craft items that decay so you have a reason to spend time making items
    people that call them self  "gamers" today are glory hogs that run as fast as they can to the end just to say they made it first
    real gamers love the race for the FUN TIMES they get along the way !!
    ....a real MMO is a virtual world !!

Well you just showed to everyone who reads this thread that you dont know what your talking about. The term end game simply means once your level is maxed out, what kind of content there is to continue progressing your character. Take Everquests end game for example..... you get to the level cap and there is LOTS of content for you to go to, it can potentially take a very long time to get anywhere near having the best equipment in game. I agree with you that the race to the finish is a pretty ignorant approach to mmorpg's as your missing half the point to an rpg. Some people dont play mmorpg's like an rpg though they play it more like a normal game which requires no imagination by the player.

Basically the op just wants to know if there is enough content in the game to continue progressing a character at the level cap, so lots of raids, quests, maybe epic quests etc etc.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...