Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish VIRUS!

NighthawkULNighthawkUL Member Posts: 183

If you've installed the Wish client on your PC you need to check it for viruses! When I went to www.Veloz.com and used stop sign to scan my computer it picked up a virus in a file for an elemental (I think it was a fire elemental). I used Computer Associate's EZscan and it didnt' pick it up but stopsign did find it and I deleted it. Has anyone else had any problems with viruses and the wish client? If so Mutable realms (or what's left of it) should be held accountable for any damage.

-an unhappy tester

Comments

• scorescore Member Posts: 28

I have scanned my computer while I have had it installed and found no such virus.

Could it be that the virus embedded itself into that directory seperate from the file you downloaded and the installation?

Also, did you download the client install from fileplanet or another official website? If not, then you are also at risk.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Ive already uninstalled and run AVG, didnt pick anything up.

• bageziobagezio Member Posts: 11

or it could be stopsign stinks and it will make it seem like there are virus and the only program that can fix them is their program which you must buy NOW!

• utopianhvnutopianhvn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7

1) The offical distribution of the Wish client was virus free (if you got it from MR or fileplanet). If there was a virus, the 68,000+ people who participated in the beta would have picked it up and it would've made news sites all over the Internet.

2) It sounds like the file you're talking about is a frame or a texture. Everything in those folders are standard graphic files that you can open and view in any decent 3D creation program.

3) There are reports (google search) that the Veloz virus scan (Stop-Sign) actaully installs what's deemed as spyware/adware by most standards. In any case, Stop-Sign is a useless piece of software that I would go as far to call it a scam for people who think they are buying software that will protect their computer.

4) Even if MR had this master plan of hijacking the computers Wish is installed on, in installing this Wish client you agreed to an EULA which stated that MR cannot be held responseable for any damage caused to your computer (standard pratice).

• NighthawkULNighthawkUL Member Posts: 183

I kind of figured that Veloz was screwed up when SpySweeper picked up a bunch of stuff from their site after I visited. I guess it was either full of shit or the virus found its way into my computer another way. Still wanted to double check if anyone else had that problem.

-nighthawk from underlight

check out underlight at www.underlight.com

• DarkwolvenDarkwolven Member Posts: 10

It's called a false positive. Not a real virus, but Stop Sign thinks it is. Frankly, Stop Sign sucks. Get better anti-virus. If you can't afford Norton or McAffee, I recommend AVG. It's free and can be found at www.grisoft.com.

Uh, since Wish is dead anyhow, uninstall the thing too. ::::02::

One more thing. If you DO get Norton or McAffee, don't bother with the other crap like security center. Just get the stand alone Anti-virus. They are ok, but the other stuff... tries to be everything, but masters nothing and will cause more problems than they fix. No, just anti-virus.

AVG is good though. I have it on me mums computer and I may use it when my Norton runs out.

• RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

I got a wish virus and it killed my 3000$ computer! OMG

j/k::::33::

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by Orcc

Ive already uninstalled and run AVG, didnt pick anything up.

The free version of AVG couldn't catch a common cold ....

--------------------------------------------
    I'm like a Superhero without the powers or motivation.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

Originally posted by Motorhead

The free version of AVG couldn't catch a common cold ....

Really. Well. I have been having great luck with AVG. My mother's computer was completely infested with viruses last summer. She's a typical clueless user and doesn't understand to not open attachments you are not expecting. After reinstalling XP after completely wiping her hard drive, I installed AVG and it has been working perfectly. TMK, she has yet to get infected and I can guarantee you that her computer habits have not changed nor has the degree of crap she gets in email.

Have you used the new version with auto-update? No anti-virus works well out of the box and it could be that your virus signatures were not up to date. What ever you believe. Running AVG is certainly better than nothing and I have a personal beef against McAffee. They completely ruined my installation one time to the point that I couldn't boot the disk or even access it from DOS. I lost a perfectly good installation along with data because of it. Since then I always make drive images. I usually don't bring this up unless somebody starts taking about "quality" of antivirus software because frankly hundreds of thousands of people use McAffee with absolutely no problems...

• NattydreadNattydread Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by NighthawkUL
    If you've installed the Wish client on your PC you need to check it for viruses! When I went to www.Veloz.com and used stop sign to scan my computer it picked up a virus in a file for an elemental (I think it was a fire elemental). I used Computer Associate's EZscan and it didnt' pick it up but stopsign did find it and I deleted it. Has anyone else had any problems with viruses and the wish client? If so Mutable realms (or what's left of it) should be held accountable for any damage.-an unhappy tester

go ask mommy and daddy for a new trend micros or norton AV cd, it will be all right.... I promise...

Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup,
    You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle,
    You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
    Now water can flow or it can crash!
    Be water, my friend.
    ~Bruce Lee