Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If not Darkfall - Help

2»

Comments

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Darkfall when you look at it really hard ignoring its past [which is where most of the hate came from] Is a ok game it is a real attempt it seems to create a PvP focussed sandbox game [of which there are very few good ones], so yea give it a go but be prepared for majour bugs glitches and unacountable losses in items and skillpoints. Afterall Darkfall is still a very new MMO with high aspirations as such most of the content promised has either not been enabled yet as they are not ready or are out there but in a weakend form.

Will this mean Darkfall will fail?
    No it doesant mean that all you need to do is look at EvE when it started out.
    EvE had something like 4000 subscribers and most of the features in game were place holders till a more detailed system was writain [such as the so-called Missile Nerf]. Or were not in the game at all and at best only hinted at if at all.

So i say If you want try Darkfall now go ahead. But if you want to wait a while for some more of the bugs to be crushed and more content adden then wait a few months and then have another look like you are doing now.

Good Luck

I would say this would have been good advice at release but not so much now. The client and server are very stable (they were quite stable even during beta), and a lot of the worst bugs/exploits have now been fixed.

• Nancy08Nancy08 Member Posts: 2

somehow it is fun.

This online role-playing game focuses primarily on combat between players and large-scale race wars.

How intelligent are you?
    Find out here: IQ Test || Intelligence Tests

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

DarkFall is a great game. Like all games, it has its share of pros and cons which ends up being a matter of opinion as to what is good and what is not. Full Body Loot may be a killer for many for exemple (and then those players are told to "go back to vanilla WoW carebear" by other players) But anyway, I suggest you look at some DarkFall videos on youtube, perhaps try some Single-Player RPG (Elder Scroll Oblivion for exemple) and if you like those, well go for it.

Though I have to admit that the lack of free trial is a real killer in this case. Also, there's a special going on right now, buy the game+6 months for $87 (you save 30% I think). Otherwise the client alone is $50 (+1 month free).  Just make sure you research the game a bit more before you buy (should you decide to).

As for the complains on the forum, most are made by ex-players (or non-players in some case) who have experienced the game during the first 2 months (it basically felt like a Closed Beta with all the horrible crash, lag and hackers). They never gave DarkFall a second chance and would rather bash the game to kill time (though I admit that paying another $50 may prevent many from giving DF a second chance).

Yeah, this, pretty much. I was quite interested in Darkfall before it launched, but, having been burned before, there's no way I will buy a game without a trial. At launch, the game was horribly over-subscribed anyway, so I can hardly blame them for not bothering with free trials.

That said, they're a small independant company, in much the same situation that CCP was in 2003 with EvE: a game with fantastic concept and potential, but still obviously with a long, long way to go. Since no major publisher has had the guts to come out with a FFA sandbox game, it's left to the little garage operations who lack experience and resources. If you want a "Like Darkfall but betterer" game, then sub up and support it through the difficult early years. It's the only way you will ever see such a thing.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by Malcanis

DarkFall is a great game. Like all games, it has its share of pros and cons which ends up being a matter of opinion as to what is good and what is not. Full Body Loot may be a killer for many for exemple (and then those players are told to "go back to vanilla WoW carebear" by other players) But anyway, I suggest you look at some DarkFall videos on youtube, perhaps try some Single-Player RPG (Elder Scroll Oblivion for exemple) and if you like those, well go for it.

Though I have to admit that the lack of free trial is a real killer in this case. Also, there's a special going on right now, buy the game+6 months for $87 (you save 30% I think). Otherwise the client alone is $50 (+1 month free).  Just make sure you research the game a bit more before you buy (should you decide to).

As for the complains on the forum, most are made by ex-players (or non-players in some case) who have experienced the game during the first 2 months (it basically felt like a Closed Beta with all the horrible crash, lag and hackers). They never gave DarkFall a second chance and would rather bash the game to kill time (though I admit that paying another $50 may prevent many from giving DF a second chance).

Yeah, this, pretty much. I was quite interested in Darkfall before it launched, but, having been burned before, there's no way I will buy a game without a trial. At launch, the game was horribly over-subscribed anyway, so I can hardly blame them for not bothering with free trials.

That said, they're a small independant company, in much the same situation that CCP was in 2003 with EvE: a game with fantastic concept and potential, but still obviously with a long, long way to go. Since no major publisher has had the guts to come out with a FFA sandbox game, it's left to the little garage operations who lack experience and resources. If you want a "Like Darkfall but betterer" game, then sub up and support it through the difficult early years. It's the only way you will ever see such a thing.

This i found to be strange!

You say you have been "burned" before. And i guess time after time with different WoW-clones example AoC, WAR and so on. But still you payed for them, fully knowing they would be WoW-clones!

And now were you stand infront of something really intersting and different.....then you say you want to be "prepared" or something!

Why didnt you say the same with the other MMOs, wich you knew was nothing special?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by daarco

Originally posted by Malcanis

This i found to be strange!

You say you have been "burned" before. And i guess time after time with different WoW-clones example AoC, WAR and so on. But still you payed for them, fully knowing they would be WoW-clones!

And now were you stand infront of something really intersting and different.....then you say you want to be "prepared" or something!

Why didnt you say the same with the other MMOs, wich you knew was nothing special?

I beg your pardon; I was being unclear. I should have said that I had been "burned" with computer games which I bought before trying them and were dreadful. Not specifically MMOs, just games. EvE is the only MMO I have subscribed to, and I wouldn't be doing so now had it not had a free trial.

If AV want me to play Darfall, then they need to make it free for me to try it. If it's fun, I'll buy it. Maybe it is something "really interesting and different", but I reserve the right to make my own judgement on that. As it happens, I think it very likely that it is "really interesting and different", but that all the same I might not enjoy it. I prefer not to pay 50E just to find out, specially since I'm already playing something interesting and different that I know for a fact is fun.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Ahh, ok. Sorry my bad.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by Raek

Why am I reading so many negative things about Darkfall Online?  It looks cool from all that I can see.  It has a lot of the things I want and things it doesn't have are coming out soon (apparently player shops).  

Why is this game doing so poorly and if I shouldn't play it, what should I play?

Here are the things that I like about it thats drawing me in:
    Emphasis on PvP (not necesarily open, just pvp that has purpose)
    Empasis on Player-run societies (Houses, towns, forts)
    Fun Crafting (Putting your signature on things, feeling attached to an item you work hard on)
    Large Scale Sandbox Style

What other games offer these things and what about Darkfall am I not seeing?

I've played and wrote 2 extensive blogs about Darkfall. It's a great game but there's a few reasons I've left.

#1. Darkfall is indeed a sandbox but it's lacking in so many features that it's hard to really openly do something you truly desire.

#2. I have no problem with open world PVP but Darkfall actually catter and encourage griefers. The game has full of features but in most part, it's all half ass. 

PVP with a purpose? Darkfall is probably the most meaningless PVP game I ever played. I am not joking... there was more reasons for me to PVP in WOW then in Darkfall. At least in WOW, back in the old days, I pvped to keep my horde zone safe from the alliance and vice versa. In Darkfall, it's all about griefing and it's either I griefed or got griefed. I'm not looking for honor at all cost but seriously, I got ganked like 10 times during my first hour in-game lol... 

Player cities, boats and such... all amazing ideas. However, the way it's implemented, it's almost not worth it.

Finaly, for me... well, I didn't mind all the issues I mentionned but Darkfall doesn't really let you be a casual player.. you're either Hardcore and on top of things or you're just canon fodder. There's no in between really...

Originally posted by Ponico

Why am I reading so many negative things about Darkfall Online?  It looks cool from all that I can see.  It has a lot of the things I want and things it doesn't have are coming out soon (apparently player shops).  

Why is this game doing so poorly and if I shouldn't play it, what should I play?

Fun Crafting (Putting your signature on things, feeling attached to an item you work hard on)

I've played and wrote 2 extensive blogs about Darkfall. It's a great game but there's a few reasons I've left.

#1. Darkfall is indeed a sandbox but it's lacking in so many features that it's hard to really openly do something you truly desire.

#2. I have no problem with open world PVP but Darkfall actually catter and encourage griefers. The game has full of features but in most part, it's all half ass. 

PVP with a purpose? Darkfall is probably the most meaningless PVP game I ever played. I am not joking... there was more reasons for me to PVP in WOW then in Darkfall. At least in WOW, back in the old days, I pvped to keep my horde zone safe from the alliance and vice versa. In Darkfall, it's all about griefing and it's either I griefed or got griefed. I'm not looking for honor at all cost but seriously, I got ganked like 10 times during my first hour in-game lol... 

Player cities, boats and such... all amazing ideas. However, the way it's implemented, it's almost not worth it.

Finaly, for me... well, I didn't mind all the issues I mentionned but Darkfall doesn't really let you be a casual player.. you're either Hardcore and on top of things or you're just canon fodder. There's no in between really...

The BIG expansion next week will clear that up.

I could write about ithere, but its so much so there is no time to do so. There will be sea objectives for both PVE and PvP and for Mariners that dont want to leave the ships : )

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Darkfall is not a WoW clone.  That is why people rip it a new one.  Just because the new kid on the block has glasses (well, and a machine gun) does not make it a bad.   What the world really needs is another Shadowbane.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

You should really check out Mortal Online. It's a sandbox and it has taken larger steps the last weeks.

Full loot

Taiming (you can taim your own horse or buy it from another player)

PvP based

Really nice crafting. 

Houses can be built almost where ever you want

No instances

No minimaps

See some videos on youtube published last week. I have high hopes on this one.

• ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

You could also try Wurm Online for free. Incidentally I am one of the developers:)

Same sandbox approach like the other games but you can download and try it for free for as long as you wish.

The big thing with Wurm is that the players create virtually everything, and you can also terraform so if you want to dig a huge crater or mine your own cave system where monsters spawn just go ahead. You are also responsible for building the roads and walls in the world. You can purchase land anywhere, terraform and build your settlement.

We have a server with full loot (kingdom vs kingdom) PvP with a ranking system. Just like in Darkfall we have penalties for attacking your own kingdom but you will be outlaw for a longer time.

Virtually all items ingame are created by players and sold for coins purchased in the web shop so there are no fake money, no inflation or money harvesting.

Just like Mortal Online and Darkfall it's still being developed and lack the customization options the others have. In about a month we are finished with version 1.0 of the back end server stuff and will start working more focused on the front end.

There are loads more features like alchemy, religion, kingdoms and courts already fully developed and balanced.

So I'd say this could be your game. Welcome to try it out!

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Actually Mortal Online have the most dynamic crafting system ever seen in a MMO. It's really great. And off course there are lots to customize.  Free games are often bad, that's why they are for free. No one wants to pay for playing them.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by Diekfoo

You should really check out Mortal Online. It's a sandbox and it has taken larger steps the last weeks.

Full loot

Taiming (you can taim your own horse or buy it from another player)

PvP based

Really nice crafting. 

Houses can be built almost where ever you want

No instances

No minimaps

See some videos on youtube published last week. I have high hopes on this one.

MO is using the Unreal 3 Engine.  Less than 10% of the market has a computer that can run this well.  So MO will not be massive in any way unless people like lagging to death.  Darkfall was not designed to be pretty, it was designed to be massive.  It can handle 200 people killing each other in one area.  While the new and pretty engine games, like AoC and MO, can maybe handle 30 - 60 players in one area battling it out.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.