Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss eq1.ahh

Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49

Ahh does anyone else go through this?  I just think of all the great memories  i had playing that game. EQ1 was truely the best mmorpg ive ever played and to b honest it was the most hardcore and real mmo ever created. From starting level one   it was an awesome game. I remember the old eq1 ec tunnel, auctioning your good the oldskool style by sitting there for hours on end  settin up macros to wts wtt wtb goods. damm i miss it so much. the old planes raids and the dragon raids that took hours to days to organize and hours to get to and buff up. EQ1 was truely the game that started all of it all. Remember the Best of the Best contests? dam how hardcore was that. Just to level from 1 to 60 took years and hard work. To b the best in that game really meant u were the best, took so much time and effort to get one item thats a real mmo. WHY CANT GAMES B MORE LIKE THAT NOW!. i beleive WOW ruined it all. I think that sony should  try to get all of us oldskool players back somehow. any ideas on how they can? bc id love to play again but it seems that everyone playing now are max level and maxed out .and im talking pre luclin style back! ... streight up i miss it a lot and everytime i think about my memories i just desire to play again... let me kno if u feel the same way.

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Another WoW ruined everything.

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids? These games still exist. Final Fantasy XI and Lineage 2, except now you probably wrote them off as grindfests because you aren't blinded by nostalgia.

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

nostalgia is a mental disease

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

One persons fun is another's hell. You're more than entitled to go back and play it, btw... it's still running. Go to their forums, and tell SoE that you want classic EQ back. They should grant your wish.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I do miss EQ but I certainly don't miss the raiding.  Raiding was the thing I hated in EQ and the thing that changed the game into a game I no longer wanted to play.  And those best of the best tournaments had nothing to do with how well a person could play their class.  They were basically just a contest to see who had the best raid loot.  If they had really wanted to test how well people could play their class they would have given everyone in the contest a set of generic equipment to use in the duels. 

And don't try to tell me that only the best people got the best loot because I know better.  For the average grunts in a raiding guild it was all just a matter of putting in their time and they would get their stuff.  Some of them were very good players but some of them weren't.  The most incompetent player I ever knew in EQ was in one of the top raiding guilds on my server, had his epic, had all sorts of high end equipment, and yet he could barely wipe his own ass without help.  I got stuck grouping with him many times because I had a friend in that same guild and this other guy sort of tagged along like the unwanted little brother sometimes.

But I do miss the grouping.  I miss the friendly community (before the focus on raiding turned it in to a bunch of petty cliques sniping at each other).  I miss the relative freedom (compared to new games).  I miss the feeling of danger that came from a harsh death penalty and mobs which could put up a fight.  I miss a lot of things from EQ but I don't miss the raiding.

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

Originally posted by decoy26517

That is interesting, was there some sort of study or research done recently on this?

Originally posted by Gameloading

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids? These games still exist. Final Fantasy XI and Lineage 2, except now you probably wrote them off as grindfests because you aren't blinded by nostalgia.

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume that..
    A. The OP is aware of these games?
    B. The OP has tried them?
    C. The OP has written them off as grindfests?
    D. The OP is blinded by nostalgia?

You gotta love how humorous it is when a newcomer comes along to these forums, if he should like games that others do not they will immediately start telling him what he's done, what he thinks and why, and diagnosing him with imaginary forms of mental illness. lol

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• robert1213robert1213 Member Posts: 22

i miss eq as well :(

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I never played Everquest 1 but started playing Everquest 2 about month ago. I think Everquest 2 is probaly the best MMO out right now. To me the game is really amazing and I see my self playing it for a long time. What I want to know is why did most of the people who played Everquest 1 did not like Everquest 2?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by heremypet

Originally posted by decoy26517

That is interesting, was there some sort of study or research done recently on this?

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids? These games still exist. Final Fantasy XI and Lineage 2, except now you probably wrote them off as grindfests because you aren't blinded by nostalgia.

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume that..

A. The OP is aware of these games?

B. The OP has tried them?

C. The OP has written them off as grindfests?

D. The OP is blinded by nostalgia?

You gotta love how humorous it is when a newcomer comes along to these forums, if he should like games that others do not they will immediately start telling him what he's done, what he thinks and why, and diagnosing him with imaginary forms of mental illness. lol

As he claims WoW ruined all of them, it's safe to assume he has at least tried other mmorpgs before he came to the conclussion all other mmorpgs are like WoW.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by Mannish

I never played Everquest 1 but started playing Everquest 2 about month ago. I think Everquest 2 is probaly the best MMO out right now. To me the game is really amazing and I see my self playing it for a long time. What I want to know is why did most of the people who played Everquest 1 did not like Everquest 2?

Mainly because the two games are nothing alike.  SOE chose to name the second one EQ2 because Everquest was a popular name back then.  But aside from the name, and some similarities in lore, the 2 games are nothing alike.  This ranges from classes, gameplay, zone design, lore, etc..  For years SOE tried to lure EQ1 players to play EQ2, for years EQ1 players told them no.

I think they've finally come to acknowledge the fact that EQ1 players like EQ1 better, while EQ2 players like EQ2.  They treat them like 2 separate games now, developing to cater to their own audiences....which is how it should've been from the start.

For the OP, EQ1 is still alive and well, with a new expansion coming soon in 1 month.  Population usually spike when a new expansion hits so you can catch the wave by joining the game and check it out

Edit: WoW didn't ruin EQ, SOE ruined EQ by forcing RMT onto its players, expanding to develop and support over 6 MMO's at once.  This stretched their resources thin, so instead of having the whole SOE team improving & fixing 1-2 games, they are doing all sorts of things not able to focus on anything.  SOE's management is the issue with whatever problems you have with EQ & the MMO genre, it's not WoW.

WoW is often used as a scapegoat, people bring up WoW as an excuse for developer's lack of imagination and quality control with new MMO's released in the past few years.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by NyTre

Ahh does anyone else go through this?  I just think of all the great memories  i had playing that game. EQ1 was truely the best mmorpg ive ever played and to b honest it was the most hardcore and real mmo ever created. From starting level one   it was an awesome game. I remember the old eq1 ec tunnel, auctioning your good the oldskool style by sitting there for hours on end  settin up macros to wts wtt wtb goods. damm i miss it so much. the old planes raids and the dragon raids that took hours to days to organize and hours to get to and buff up. EQ1 was truely the game that started all of it all. Remember the Best of the Best contests? dam how hardcore was that. Just to level from 1 to 60 took years and hard work. To b the best in that game really meant u were the best, took so much time and effort to get one item thats a real mmo. WHY CANT GAMES B MORE LIKE THAT NOW!. i beleive WOW ruined it all. I think that sony should  try to get all of us oldskool players back somehow. any ideas on how they can? bc id love to play again but it seems that everyone playing now are max level and maxed out .and im talking pre luclin style back! ... streight up i miss it a lot and everytime i think about my memories i just desire to play again... let me kno if u feel the same way.

"Selling a bat wings at T1! 50c a stack!" =P

Your mistake was saying anything negative about "The game that begins with W". That gets them ravenous and makes them stop listening and start flaming.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Originally posted by NyTre

"Selling a bat wings at T1! 50c a stack!" =P

Your mistake was saying anything negative about "The game that begins with W". That gets them ravenous and makes them stop listening and start flaming.

This and the horrible writing.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids? These games still exist. Final Fantasy XI and Lineage 2, except now you probably wrote them off as grindfests because you aren't blinded by nostalgia.

Thats it. Couldnt say it better.

Originally posted by alakram

Thats it. Couldnt say it better.

I don't know about FFXI and L2, but in classic EQ there was so much more than levelling for years and spending days for raids. Actually, what made EQ classic great wasn't that at all, so you both are missing the whole point. Maybe you are not blinded by nostalgia, but you are blinded by pure ignorance.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

EQ1 was so good that they did not even make EQ2 like it....

ffxi was, in my minds eye, the evolution of Everquest style, with better features. There was no solo play after level 10. Skillchains required you to know YOUR role, and everyone elses, which in turn made for better players (usually) in the later levels minus most of the asshats who were stuck trying to solo not getting anywhere because no one wanted them in their group. It also made me very angry at crabs. Square-Enix has a massive hate towards crabs. So much that they decided to make them the main enemy of the video game... as in you could honestly kill NOTHING BUT CRABS EACH LEVEL... and there'd be more for you to level up on nearing your endgame. I kid you not. 

ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/bestiary.html

Other than that... the grouping Know Your Role-style, xp loss upon death, and campy-grinding reminded me a lot of EQ... just a bit better.

• FfearFfear Member Posts: 8

10 Years later, I still have dreams about EQ 1

I do too... they're like the previews for "The Fourth Kind", lol.

I have fond memories though... 

Being a druid leveled on nothing but tumpy tonics to 30. Since I couldn't really do anything for a while because my skills weren't leveled, I decided to aggro/train everything in WC marathon style (not INTO anyone, but just for lols while my friend took screenshots).

Things I remember....

"Hail a Sand Giant"    /shout SAND GIANT TO DOCS!

"Hail a festering hag" (press #6 which was bound to say) /shout TRAIN TO ZONE! ZONE OR DIE!

*Pain and Suffering tries to strike you, but misses!* (wtf was up with that? did it ever hit?)

My first run-in with the Terrorantula, whom was over a sand dune and my friend who ran into it believed it's leg was some sort of tree.

The Everquest "Ding", nothing else sounds as good, or like it... it proved to me that Pavlov was right.

• miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Lansid

The Everquest "Ding", nothing else sounds as good, or like it... it proved to me that Pavlov was right.

/salivate

I need to find a mp3 of that sound somewhere...

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Rofl lol I think I jizzed myself when i heard that.

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

Amazing how that one sound brings back so many EQ memories. I actually played that sound a couple times....I guess I did miss it and didn't even know it!! Thanks for that link!

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I'll be honest, I don't miss the hardcore bits but EQ I do yearn for from time to time. It's just so dated now though.

That sound is the new ding, not the old ding which was better. I know I sound like an EQ nerd.

I know it's because I am

Now that you mention it... it was higher pitched wasn't it?