Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Support Item Shops in Sub Games

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Do not play World of Warcraft, Everquest, Everquest 2, LOTRO or any other game setup like this.

I encourage everyone to not subscribe to games that charge a sub fee and tack on an item shop. If you do support this it will lead to all your games having this. Do you really want to pay extra for items that should be included in the game with your sub fee and box purchases? If it becomes the normal, you will forget a time when you paid a sub fee and for the games and received cosmetic items or anything else with the game.

Do you really want content that would have been added regularly now to be added through item shops? That is what will happen if you don't understand. Resources are taken away from what you would have gotten normally because now those cosmetic items can be added to a shop where they can get additional money from you. Tell them no with you money, support the games that are left that make it on sub and box purchases alone. If this doesn't hurt them but make them more money it will become the norm.

If they don't get your money they will see customers don't want this.

Edited: Added Lotro, they are now selling "virtual packs". Scratched them off my playlist. I may just play single player games.

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Add Eve to your list...they sell Isk.

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

It is really depressing how many games are going this way. I went back to WoW because they didn't have this stuff. Well besides the real life card game items but at least you got REAL cards unlike Sony games. Does LotR have anything like this? Running out of good stuff to play.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

/signed

I dont think its acceptable to charge for Box+expansions+monthly sub and then in game items on top of that. But now when the market leader is doing it, things will only get worse.

When you are charging $10 for a vanity pet, then you have gone beyond greed.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by TheShimmers

It is really depressing how many games are going this way. I went back to WoW because they didn't have this stuff. Well besides the real life card game items but at least you got REAL cards unlike Sony games. Does LotR have anything like this? Running out of good stuff to play.

Me too, TheShimmers and was already to buy the new expac and everything until this. I canceled the day it was announced. Far as I know LOTRO doesn't do this and I am going there now. If they do the same thing then I will cancel there as well.

I recommend everyone supporting a game that doesn't have item shops.

I would have left no matter what the price, but $10 is such a huge price for a vanitey pet. Even FreeRealms charges $5 for pets and you can actually do stuff with them!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Unfortunately there are 2 different kind of people who play modern MMORPGs.

Real MMORPGs players, who are the ones who put a focus on the RPG part of the world and like to build their charater slowly by playing the game.

And there are the single player gamers who play the MMORPGs for the Massively aspect and don't give a stuff of the RPG element, they want to be Uber now so they can compete with others as soon as possible.

Because of this second category, RMT will be introduced in almost every MMORPG unfortunately.

I am old school and I don't like companies implementiong cash shops in the games, therefore I won't play those games.

Others unfortunately will.

• ChrismooreChrismoore Member Posts: 14

ehem....its just a stupid pet , dont buy it. and half the proceeds go to charity...dont like it dont donate...whos the real greedy person here? you get a ingame item for donating 5$, the other 5$ pays for them to put on this charity auction/auction fees.L2notbeselfish!

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

/signed

Champions is probably the only game like that I am playing, but I have just recently canceled my sub. It gets rather boring and the item shops just make it worse. 

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

Originally posted by Chrismoore

ehem....its just a stupid pet , dont buy it. and half the proceeds go to charity...dont like it dont donate...whos the real greedy person here? you get a ingame item for donating 5$, the other 5$ pays for them to put on this charity auction/auction fees.L2notbeselfish!

I would rather just donate ALL $10 to charity. It's a pretty smart way for Blizzard to make it seem like they are the good guys while selling $10 pets =)

• AdderaxAdderax Member Posts: 30

I completely agree. 

Charging 14.95 for a game so everyone has equal opportunity *but you decide what you do with your opportunity* can be swallowed...OR; have a cash shop, where you can bankrupt yourself to be top dog also works.  However when you charge 14.95 a month and then tack on a cash shop, you're already putting your foot on the door to start the bs tumble down.  First it's worthless pets, then something else, and so on to the point where they will charge you to send in CSR tickets. 

You either nip this practice while young, or mmorpgs are toast.  That or only foolish idiots will continue to support them.  Due to this I will also not be buying any Blizzard games in the future.  I loved Blizzard until the mmo came out, having seen enough companies slide down the mmo route, I knew what was in store.  I will not support Blizzard with my wallet period, they lost too much talent from the original team anyway...now it's just SoE 2.0.  Diablo 3? Nope, Starcraft 2? Nope, World of Starcraft/Diablo? Hell no.  This coming from someone who has 2-3 copies of each Blizzard game that came before WoW.

End of rant.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

/Signed

I would love to see an angry torch carrying mob surround SoE San Deigo demanding Smed's resignation. He is the turd that started all this.....

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

What is more selfish?

Putting a simple, enjoyable item in-game for no extra profit margin intended? Or putting the same item in a cash shop for deliberate profit?

I'm forgetting about the charity aspect as well. I'm beyond past that argument. Case in point, it is still unprohibited to have to pay extra for silly things like pets when you are already giving them 15$ a month.

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

The charity thing only last a few months, it was a PR to smooth this over and I am not falling for it. If you want to give to charity give all of it directly. It isn't a nice thing they are doing. Why are they not cutting a check directly to the charity out of the money they receive monthly? No they are making a stupid digital item and wanting YOU to pay the charity not them.

It was only a PR move and that is all to help people choke down the initial shock of the item shop. Don't fall for it, cancel now. Don't support this, show Blizzard we do not want this.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by TheShimmers

I would rather just donate ALL $10 to charity. It's a pretty smart way for Blizzard to make it seem like they are the good guys while selling $10 pets =)

A PR move that pretty much failed at hiding the line Blizzard has just crossed for many, as this "RMT, run!" is kind of subjective.

• bobthemagebobthemage Member Posts: 1

i will cancel my subscrition tonight.. i but i can help feeling, for everyone one person leaving Wow due to this back door trikery, there will be one hundred people ready to take our place.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I will not be playing mmos that support a box purchase, subscription fee and a item shop all at the same time. Thanks but I'll pass.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

It is just a pet, I don’t see the big deal I don’t paying some money for optional cosmetic items....but that’s just me

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Irish69Irish69 Member Posts: 14

You people act like you're paying for epic gears, the shop is for cosmetics. Its like the trading card game and I don't see people complaining about that.  Go read the FAQ, and stop making excuse's to whine.

BLAH****

right! the point i was trying to make, its not epic gear its a damn pet.dont like it dont buy it. personaly I look at the Auction House all time and see how many gold farmers are selling "damn pets" for a crap ton of ingame money and on top of that the stupid tards that buy gold from so said "gold farmer"...hmm Id rather give my money to blizard if i feel the need to be retarded and start collecting worthless junk. and to call the cat a pig before it turns into one , is just another dumbtard woth nothing better to do than over use his brain.

In other words...L2pickyourbattles.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by qombi

Do not play World of Warcraft, Everquest, Everquest 2, or any other game setup like this.
    I encourage everyone to not subscribe to games that charge a sub fee and tack on an item shop. If you do support this it will lead to all your games having this. Do you really want to pay extra for items that should be included in the game with your sub fee and box purchases? If it becomes the normal, you will forget a time when you paid a sub fee and for the games and received cosmetic items or anything else with the game.
    Do you really want content that would have been added regularly now to be added through item shops? That is what will happen if you don't understand. Resources are taken away from what you would have gotten normally because now those cosmetic items can be added to a shop where they can get additional money from you. Tell them no with you money, support the games that are left that make it on sub and box purchases alone. If this doesn't hurt them but make them more money it will become the norm.

Also so you are not a hypocrite, boycott every game that has a Collector's Edition for exactly the same reasons.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Hey, if you really feel you have to pass on a game because they have decided to introduce yet another income stream to the hundreds they already had in place anyway then go right ahead, but i think i will be the judge of what game i play or not.

They are selling 'Vanity' pets, not epic weapons, armor or entrance tickets to raids and to be honest if that is the way they choose to go with the game then so be it. Some people will buy these things, the vast majority will not just like the character models they sell or the posters you can get it is just something that some people will enjoy showing off in game rather than on their wall/shelf at home.

...and as for the "don't pay for what should be in the game anyway" argument, well they have no obligation to supply you with any items other than those required to play the game in reality, so where does that come from?

We are consumers, we can choose to pay for what we want and choose not to pay for what we don't want and that hasn't changed just because Blizzard produced a new 'product' to sell to us!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Once again people on these forums really need to get a clue on Business 101. There isn't a single person here that wouldn't do the same for their game if they new it would generate more revenue. Also its vanity pets for crying out loud. They affect the game in no way at all. Come on bud get a grip on things. They are in no way forcing you to purchase any of these pets. There just their if you want em to add to you pet collection.

• PedrotePedrote Member Posts: 53

To the OP:

If you are talking of games with item shops in general, why are you posting specifically in the WoW part of the forums?

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by qombi

Do not play World of Warcraft, Everquest, Everquest 2, or any other game setup like this.

It's entirely possible that.... and hear me out here... that people DO like buying hats and pets and DO find it worth the 5-15 dollars to get them.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?