Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call: 10th Anniversary Celebration!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Asheron's Call launched on November 2nd, 1999, making today the venerable MMOG's 10th anniversary! To celebrate, Turbine will be running live events throughout the day that will also bring back many fan favorite lore and signature characters.

Previously, we reported on a number of additions that would be introduced to the game with today's 10th anniversary celebration, and today Turbine has sent us a batch of new screenshots to show the new additions off!

For more information on today's festivities, check out the official Asheron's Call website.

Comments

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

A great game in its time. Aside from EQ it was the only other real 3D mmorpg running for some time. Then DAOC pried open the doors a bit wider and then all hell broke loose there after.

I beta tested AC1 (and AC2) and loved it dearly, but it just never managed to pry me away from EQ. The magic sytem will always remind me of dozens of nights with trial and error before the help files came out. I think AC was the first game to do themed nights (eg: Halloween) as it used to have a highly envolved GM base. I used to love the sky clouds and moon in this game (fond memories). To bad about AC2. It had good ideas too but just failed to cary the spirit over from its predecesor. Maybe someday Acheron will once again raise its head from the ashes.

Good on ya AC1 Team, congratulations! .

Cheers!

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• I'm as nostalgic as the next person..played a lot of these older mmos when they first came out and enjoyed them in their prime...but this is like having a birthday party in a cemetary..let the dead rest in peace and move on with life.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Happy Birthday AC.

That said, the best present Turbine could give AC is a modernizing of the game. Use the same game systems but further refine and expand them, update the graphics and get back to offering big budget alternative to the EQ/WoW/Aions of the genre.

Now that I would pay a lifetime subscription for!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Best thing this company could do for me is make AC2 f2p if I paid for an AC account. Till then will have to pass on all thier games.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• BahbusBahbus Member Posts: 42

I would love a new Asheron's Call. A new storyline perhaps. But definately has to use AC1s systems (character generation, loot generation, etc).

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by SeriphinX
    I'm as nostalgic as the next person..played a lot of these older mmos when they first came out and enjoyed them in their prime...but this is like having a birthday party in a cemetary..let the dead rest in peace and move on with life.

Birthday party in a cemetery, LOL, that's an amusing analogy.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Happy 10th Birthday to my first (and I still think most fun) MMORPG!

Now pull the plug and bring forth Asheron's Call 3.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Be cool to relive these days.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ZorlacZorlac Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by AlienShirt

Happy 10th Birthday to my first (and I still think most fun) MMORPG!
    Now pull the plug and break forth Asheron's Call 3.

ditto!

I still remember my first character when the game went live ... Vaedor the Dark ...(we hardly knew ye!) My friend and I would play and leave random parchments laying on the ground with stupidily funny stuff written on them like "B.S. Lewt-n-noonies" or "Vaedor the Dark - He is so strong, he is so dark." Yeah seems idiotic now, but man we thought that was great! Also liked to strip all of Vaedor's clothes off in front of people for no reason and/or follow them around while they got hella pissed.

Such innocent n00bish times haha

• HetNetHetNet Member Posts: 48

I had massive resubscription issues having ended my sub in April....But they are apparently straightened out now, although I never recieved a response to the support ticket I submitted.....

However, I just tried reactivating after 5 days of failure...and it did allow me to resub this time, no 40001 error and requirement for a non-existent keycode.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Gratz on 10 years, my very first MMO and in my book one of the best ever made.  I just wish they could redo the game with today's graphics but keep the original game mechanic.

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

I played AC1 when it first came out and enjoyed it greatly. Though real life / lack of time caused me to quit after a year, something I regret. I tried it again a few months back and found it to be a grind fest, not like the quest driven mmo's now. But strangely that didn't seem to matter. The game has great character control of stats and skills. Playing an AC toon makes you feel like not another generic toon clone like many games do. However the graphics are dated, badly so. And the worlds seem to lack players. Indeed the couple of weeks I recently played made it feel more like a solo game than online, there was just nobody about.

Without a doubt AC1 was a great game. Give it a major graphics overhaul, some more quest etc and it would return to being great. As it stands now it's just old. So happy 10th birthday AC, we still love you even though you are old and have lost your youthful good looks!

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by SeriphinX

I'm as nostalgic as the next person..played a lot of these older mmos when they first came out and enjoyed them in their prime...but this is like having a birthday party in a cemetary..let the dead rest in peace and move on with life.

Misinformation by the uninformed.. there are still plenty of people playing it believe it or not, and.. it's more actively developed then mmo's such as Ryzom and Vanguard..

Grats AC for 10 years of success, and for starting my mmo addiction.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by HetNet

I had massive resubscription issues having ended my sub in April....But they are apparently straightened out now, although I never recieved a response to the support ticket I submitted.....
    However, I just tried reactivating after 5 days of failure...and it did allow me to resub this time, no 40001 error and requirement for a non-existent keycode.

Yes they got the 40001 error straightened out. On top of that everyone got ToD that didn't have it before.

They still do regular monthly updates for this game which is great. So each month there tends to be new things to do, and they also change stuff in game based on player feedback (although like all communities there are some rabid fans who are never satisfied and want everything changed).

It's definetly worth people checking it out again. Yes the graphics are older but the gameplay is great and unlike other MMOs out there. Knowledge and skill go much further in this game then any other MMO I've played. Not like the click the same rotation of 4 skill games that make up the majority of the genre.

I also think I've seen more on forum and in game interaction with the devs of AC then any other MMO out there, which is a nice touch.

Overall I play AC still for one reason: it's fun. I've tried many MMOs since and stayed with some for a few months, but they all get stale and boring rather quick. Not to mention on other games you wait a year or more for an expansion and then beat it in 2 weeks and have to wait another year for something new. In AC it's constantly new.

It's nice to see a post made about this, since through it's 10 year history AC tends to be the MMO noone talks about. Even back in the day EQ got all the attention even though both games did very well. So the fact that AC has lastest 10 years without much in the way of advertising and coverage from game sites says a lot about it's gameplay.

• mastaofmurdamastaofmurda Member Posts: 55

Amazing adventures and memories in this game it was way beyond its time but not only it had just a feel that no other game probably was ever capable of giving.

Come on Asheron's Call 3.. lets lock this up like someone else said, its about time for an announcement of a new AC.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Ripped on it a few spots up, but I wonder why after they closed the better game (imo ac2) did they not just use ac2's engine for ac and update it. Seems like it wouldn't have been to hard and ac would have the upgrade it needs and it would still look good to this day. From what I hear is that they can't or won't upgrade becasue it would be to hard to do now because all the programmers are gone and the ones that did it made the code pretty complicated to use. Not sure though might be just hear say.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• RefnuRefnu Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by Bruise187

Ripped on it a few spots up, but I wonder why after they closed the better game (imo ac2) did they not just use ac2's engine for ac and update it. Seems like it wouldn't have been to hard and ac would have the upgrade it needs and it would still look good to this day. From what I hear is that they can't or won't upgrade becasue it would be to hard to do now because all the programmers are gone and the ones that did it made the code pretty complicated to use. Not sure though might be just hear say.

AC is hands down better than AC2 ... The reason why AC is still here and AC2 flopped

Current: Puzzle Pirates
    Waiting: SWTOR,Aion, CO
    Played: AC, WoW, SB, EVE