Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online

ZarmaZarmaZarmaZarma Member Posts: 4

When I first discovered Wurm I too was looking for a new MMO to play. I quested out, searching for something in the Sci-fi genre, free, was what I wanted. However, I stumbled across something else. I browsed over the screen shots, nothing spectacular, or at least not to me anyway. I thought that it looked oridinary, however, this view changed when I read it's description.

I found that Wurm is anything but average. In almost every MMO today it's the same basic thing. Go out, kill some monsters, get a quest maybe- most likely to kill some monsters, and try to level up. This was becoming tiresom. I contantly looked for a MMO that would entertain me for more then a few days, something with a unique plot line and wasn't based on how much in game items you wanted to buy, or something where you didn't just sit there, smacking at monsters until your fingers bled. And Wurm was what I found.

It was not the screen shots that impressed me, nor was the story, or how it looked. It's not the pretiest game, I'll admit to that, in fact, some of it's graphics when looked at individually are absolute crap, and can only be respected when you look at it in whole. So what drew me to it? Simple. It's name is terraforming, or, as I prefer to call it, freedom. In every MMO before this, I'd admire what the devs made. But now, now I had a chance to admire what I made. Sense I joined Wurm I have helped raise massive walls, fend of sieges on major cities, and I will admit to have losing. I've both crafted and destroyed massive towers in an attempt to fend back the enemy kingdom, and spread influence of our own. I've made friends, those of which I am on ventrillo with right now. I've made enemies, surprisingly, I've come to actually hate some of them, it's odd, I know it's just a game, but it's hard not to when such heavy politics become involved. I've mined deep caverns, making caves so extensive they tunnel through the entierty of a mountain, all the way to the waters floor.

In Wurm we breed massive amounts of animals, killing them for food, riding them into battle, or mounting our carts so that we can pull dirt and bricks to form walls. We build houses, castles for defense, deeded towns like fiefdoms owned by the players, and all apart of different kingdoms with strong alliances, and strong disputes. I've dug canals and secret passages, destroyed and spread forested... We've created isles of thorns, and shaped mountains to our will. I don't mean this metaphorically either. One of the many beauties of Wurm is the ability of nothing but you, your friends, and your shovel to dig up the land, move it, reshape it, flatten and destroy it. Axes can fell trees and actually take down the model, not just collect lumber. Lumber can be chopped into logs, and logs can be turned into handles, shafts, arrows, planks, and traps. Rock shards can be turned to statues, ammo for catapaults to fell enemy walls, forges, ovens, doors and bricks. Farms are raised in our main town, which was completely player made. We grow cotton for healing our wounds and making cloth, we grow corn and onions to mix with fish and other meats to create meals, we till farms of garlic and pumpkins, and, admitably, we do shove all the garlic down our horses throats, they need to be full to breed.

In Wurm there is both PvP and PvE. Attack who you want, but there are always consiqunces. In our kingdom most of the players are loyal to each other, however individual feuds are held between players. In Mol-Rehan we make alliances with the Black Light kingdom, Hoard of the Summoned, to fight off the Jen-Kellon, and to amazing effect. There are creatures that will kill you in Wurm, and players that will help you. Wurm is a game of politics and survival. The wilderness is harsh, but the battle fields are worse. In Wurm we have massive raids, fifty people large, and not capped or held in instinces. There are no parties in Wurm, only groups and allies. Sieges will have catapults and tamed animals, massive champion trolls taller then trees and fortresses. It is not only the strong that will survive, everyone can help. Low level people can grab bricks and repair walls, come will fire arrows on the enemy, and others will be... Cannon fodder. But all will help in the defense of your home town, and no one is left out.

What I found in Wurm was unique. Everything was unique. I am often agrivated at the Dev team, it is unprofessional and not well kept. The creator seems to stray very far from the best for his game, and aim more for what he wants. Much of the player population is flustered, and some even quit. But not matter what he does I keep playing. The game is too good, it's the only of it's kind. I know if I left I would never again be able to raise massive defenses or crush the enemies defenses. I wouldn't be able to make my own defenses, or help people by creating tools. I am not the best player, but the game is still great. Nine months in, and I still love. It's cheap, only 5e per month. Back when I was young, I used to play Runescape. That lasted for a long time, but, now, the only game I've played for more then a month is this. This game keeps supplying what I want, it's massive crafting system makes me feel like I'm doing thing, and player run economy makes it feel almost real. I've made great friends that have branched off to other games. There's tons of skills to train, and lots of battles to be had. Maybe Wurm isn't for everyone, but it's for me.

www.wurmonline.com , it's time to be mauled by a bear.

On a related note, the free server is no where as good as the premium server, please do not be disgruntled if you think the free server is too clustered, litered, populated, dangerous, poor, limited, or small. This is to be expected. It's free after all. Have fun!

Comments

• LorkenLorken Member Posts: 17

yea I know its pretty amazing all the things you can do what server do you play on and what village are you in?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I will bump this, if only to turn a measly dozen or so watching the frontpage onto the product. One of the best MMOs I have ever played and has taught me the value of looking past aesthetics, like animations, to get my jollies off.

~Aloof (Homesteader, "Red Light District" in Freedom Server)

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture