Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Experience Tier 1 For Free, Forever!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Nestled away in the overview of of Version 1.3.2 "Path of Conquest" in this month's WAR newsletter are details of some pretty significant changes coming to Warhammer Online.

This month's newsletter reveals that the currently available 10 day free trial will soon be free of any time restrictions, meaning that players can essentially play the game free of charge as long as they remain in Tier 1. This sounds awfully similar to the "Freemium" model that the Chronicles of Spellborn had been utilizing not long ago.

There aren't currently any details on whether or not any additional restrictions would be applied, though it would probably be safe to assume that any restrictions (such as being limited to Tier 1) that are currently part of the 10 day trial would remain.

For more information about the Free Trial, read the Trial FAQ here.

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

They should just make the game free 2 play with some kind of item shop.

Unfortunately this could be the best option to maintain this game, and i bet it would have alot of players that way.

Look at DDO Mythic.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

This sounds like a perpetual hell.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

people have been crying to the same changes since the game has been out. If they would listen the game wouldn't be in such bad shape. Hell even AoC is managing a come back cause they started to listen to the players

• HalowHalow Member Posts: 71

I remember playing a Chosen in tier 1 when the game first launched.. it was fun as hell.. if you can do unlimted pvp in tier 1 and never level.. I think I'd sign up for that...*

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Maybe I'm a little confused, but I dont understand how taking the free trial which has restrictions on it, which doesnt make sense in the first place, and then making it unlimited with restrictions is supposed to do anything at all.

During my original invite a biddy trial, I hit tier 2 before the 7 day trial was even over, so I'm not sure how locking people in tier 1 forever would really make anyone wish to sub further if they havnt already.

As stated before this game really should just drop to f2p with some sort of cash shop. While  I am normally avid against doom and gloom threads, this is one MMO that really does seem to be on its way out, and will only continue to do so as more and more anticipated MMO's come out.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

This will be counter-productive.

A LOT of players only like T1. Now they won't have to pay to play.

God, Mythic is dumb.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

It may make me trial it out again but when I subbed months ago my experience was probably the worst I have had.  However it was just a taste thing, graphics didn't appeal to me, combat didn't appeal, crafting was daft and I tried 3 servers and still found myself running around in a big empty world.  Friend of mine has been playing since launch and loves it.  however I think its more to do with playing alongside loads of RL mates and chatting in Vent.  Without the option to play in their time zone it was an instant killer for me and I didn't even last 2 weeks.  I may log in to see the improvements though and wonder if my hate for the game has diminished. 

Too many games coming up with real promise imo.  Earthrise, Jumpgate and a couple of others.  Besides FE is taking up all my time these days.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

This will be counter-productive.
    A LOT of players only like T1. Now they won't have to pay to play.
    God, Mythic is dumb.

I'd disagree with this statement.  According to the majority of complaints I've read, many players appear to have really enjoyed both T1 and T2, with interest fading through T3 and into T4, primarily as AoE and CC became both more prevalent and more powerful.  Both AoE abilities as CC abilities have been significantly reduced in power over the last two patches.

Lengthening the Free Trial, in conjuction with the New Player Journey which condenses the starting players in the Empire/Chaos zones, should give players some extended time to play with a higher concentration of other people.

It might help give an even better first impression of the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i went back for the 10 day thing the game felt dead you i saw one person in the game world questing did some scenarios which i had yo wait ages for so i chatted to friends online inbetween . This game does have a lot to offer but its not worth a subscription fee . Item shop is the only way forward with a free to play model . Either do that or close it .

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

I really enjoyed T1 PvP and PvE.

T2 was even better, but T1 was cool to.

Never got to T3+4.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by Ruyn

most non trolls would tell you that tier 1 is some of the most fun PVP around.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

every update they've done in the past year, should have been done in the first 6 months of release (bar the Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx amount of live events they've had).

Maybe one of these days, they'll actually ADD content, rather than the poor excuse for the land of the dead. (after 1 year, that's all they've really added).

wiling to buy content, with every other MMO mentioning expansions (even Fallen Earth has mentioned on the horizon with Sector 5)

WAR is as always, left behind, even AoC is quietly mocking them... it's just wave after wave of patheticness, of course doesn't help with Mythic in charge of UO now, and of course some of their team at bioware.

i'd be surprised if there's anyone around who can design and create new content. Dead by next year.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Tier 1 is the best part of the game. Well, tier two is fun, too. After that... lol.

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by googajoob7

i went back for the 10 day thing the game felt dead you i saw one person in the game world questing did some scenarios which i had yo wait ages for so i chatted to friends online inbetween . This game does have a lot to offer but its not worth a subscription fee . Item shop is the only way forward with a free to play model . Either do that or close it .

This.

Every time I try to play it again, it feels like I'm playing on an unpopular private server that has like ten active players.

It's just sad.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

its kinda like the others said, T1 is where the fun was at, T2...was ok, and by the time you hit T3 you were rerolling to find the fun again.

One of the few games that is fun out of the box, and the higher you get the less fun it is.

This will bring people in by the truck load...unfortunately its not going to make mythic any money...

• DeadvoltDeadvolt Member UncommonPosts: 55

This was bound to happen. *sigh* It really saddens me when a game of such scale, with so much effort put into it ends up with such a fate. This isn't the only game to take this path recently, but a few of them seem to be slowing crawling back out of hell. This option might be a step in the right direction , kinda like how Runescape has it set up. (A bit of free game play, but the real meat comes when you pay) From what I hear however, Tier 1 won't last nearly as long as they're expecting, and many will not be hooked by the crumbs they're being offered. Maybe I'm wrong, I never played the game, it's just I've this sort of scenario so many times, it's getting to be like a lottery:

To pre-order/buy, or not to pre-order/buy, that is the question.

Ganking? Me!? That's absurd!! I leave THAT to the lawyers!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This imo is an intelligent gaming model,i feel all developers should use that same approach.The problem is that most only look for answers when their game is failing,they need to step up and deliver from day 1,not when the game is struggling.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

If the rest of the game was even better than T1 I could see where this move would be a really great idea...but..T1 is like...really fun..more fun than the complete chore the rest of the game becomes afterwards.  Sure you won't get all the gear or the awsome unlocks etc but...you get everything you need for some wild constantly fun PVP...maybe in the end enough people wil play it repeatedly over and over and enjoy T1 making it feel busy enough for some to consider subbing but...I find that hard to believe..the moment anyone hits T2 the game just goes down hill...

Its like in T1 you get offered the big slab of awsome chocolate cake..but by the time you reach T4 the most they've really given you is a tiny lil spoon full of plain vanilla ice cream that you had to literally sell your soul in order to get...and then its not even that great...especially since the City Sieges as far as I last heard (may be different now) are still borked / crappy and not worth the effort.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I agree T1 was my favorite part of the game! That was where all the good battles were and the areas were really fun,

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I have to say with the 2 massive releases of AoC and WAR I do feel AoC is winning hands down.  First I lasted 6 months but more importantly, reading up on the changes in AoC actually makes me want to resub, even if its for a couple of months, however WAR hasn't done anything that makes me want to resub.  If I could play on the servers in Australia then I may test it out just to hang with my mates for a bit but beyond that... its just sad

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Lol, that was mean, but I sorta thought the same. XD

Forever stuck in WAR tier 1. Muahaha. Kinda like Arkham Asylum. teh

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

I wish more games did this. Trials which are not time limited would address the demographic that doesn't play several hours a day.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by ET3D

I wish more games did this. Trials which are not time limited would address the demographic that doesn't play several hours a day.

True. The idea is a good one.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

I think the idea is pretty good, Ryzom had a same feature and it was great ( the Island of Silan was free ).

Yet again they fail, they restrict it to certain servers, so if you have a friend that you want to get into the game, you can't, because you are on the wrong server ...

They still have no clue.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173

Sounds like an opportunity to twink.

I can see it now. A million free accounts owning each others face in T1. Sounds like fun.