Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Nate Levy Explains Major AP Bug Fix

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

AP regen rates were altered significantly with the launch of Patch 1.3.1 due to a complex bug, which resulted in players essentially having infinite AP.

In the recently released Patch 1.3.2 this bug has been fixed, and AP rates have returned to normal levels. But with players so used to being able to just spam their attacks, there have been some concerns raised by the community over the change, and WAR's Combat & Careers Team Lead Nate Levy addresses them in this latest dev diary published on the WAR Herald.

Nate on the nasty bug:

What were the bugs that we fixed, and how did they affect game-play?

Nate: Since 1.3.1 went live, we discovered two major bugs relating to Action Point regeneration. The first was causing Action Points to regenerate during the Global Cooldown in certain situations, but unfortunately, it was very difficult to detect because the second issue masked the first. This second issue was a bug which caused server performance and load to drastically impact AP regeneration rates—so, while Action Points would sometimes be regenerating when they weren't supposed to, the AP-regen rates were also slower all-around, especially in high-stress situations such as Keep captures. The combination of these two factors essentially resulted in a wash, with AP on the whole being no faster or slower than intended overall.

However, patch 1.3.1 brought significant performance improvements to the game, and we began getting reports of players with "infinite AP"; it was the investigation of these reports which resulted in the discovery of both issues. Due to the severity of the issues, we wanted to get them corrected as quickly as possible, which meant that we aimed to get the fixes pushed to the Live game as soon as they passed internal testing. That ultimately corresponded with patch 1.3.2. It is important to note that these bugs were largely affecting players who were constantly within the Global Cooldown, while players who were primarily using abilities with buildup times or channel times were not affected, since AP regen was properly paused at those times.

For more details on the changes, read the full dev diary here.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Are we supposed to know what game this is talking about by osmosis?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • octoconoctocon Member Posts: 44

Think it War m8

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by grunty

Reading is fundamental.

"and WAR's Combat & Careers Team Lead Nate Levy addresses them in this latest dev diary published on the WAR Herald."

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Reading is fundamental.

"and WAR's Combat & Careers Team Lead Nate Levy addresses them in this latest dev diary published on the WAR Herald."

If it is specifically about Warhammer then it is not a General news article and the forum title should follow the form MMORPG.com has established in it's news forum listings. Warhammer is not the only game that uses the AP/Action Point acronym.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

It was an accident guys. :) I forgot to set it as WAR when publishing it.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

If it is specifically about Warhammer then it is not a General news article and the forum title should follow the form MMORPG.com has established in it's news forum listings. Warhammer is not the only game that uses the AP/Action Point acronym.

It is the only one that uses WAR as its acronym, however.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• AKABoondockAKABoondock Member Posts: 62

Lol im so glad i stopped playing this game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by AKABoondock

Lol im so glad i stopped playing this game.

Like pretty much everyone else. Long long ago.

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

This story reminds me of loading up some old DOS games one time that were based around clock speed. At first I thought they were broken because as soon as the game loaded, the timer had already counted down to zero.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

You mean folks still play this game.  I quit durring beta.

• highwindcidhighwindcid Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by erictlewis

You mean folks still play this game.  I quit durring beta.

Cool story bro.

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Warhammer is a kickass game, the  War universe is awesome  and i love the look of this game, but since  patch 1.3.2 the Order folks can't play  in equal against Destruction. Its being a piece of cake for Destro invading the City 10 times a day while order just can run to save their life. Really, ths game is boring a lot. Instead  waste time to adjust the AP points, why the hell they didnt fixed that  issue that make order so weak against Destro? White lions, Shadow Warriors are the worst class in the game. My shadow Warrior cant kill a SH 4 levels under. My last hope to stay in this game is the new patch, after it, if order still being wiped, I m gonna leave  it.

Go to hell!

• dxt178dxt178 Member Posts: 10

I'll say one more time... WAR has some of the best Scenarios (BGs) of any MMO. Everything else is just terrible. Make the game focused on this one aspect and lower the monthly price and I, as well as many other fans, would run back. Warhammer is a tabletop game of skirmishes and battles, and it is where this game has and still excels. Not keeps, not public quests, not PvE. Look at soem of the private BG-only WoW servers and you will see that many people love the idea of quick enjoyable MMO PvP fun.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by dxt178

I'll say one more time... WAR has some of the best Scenarios (BGs) of any MMO. Everything else is just terrible. Make the game focused on this one aspect and lower the monthly price and I, as well as many other fans, would run back. Warhammer is a tabletop game of skirmishes and battles, and it is where this game has and still excels. Not keeps, not public quests, not PvE. Look at soem of the private BG-only WoW servers and you will see that many people love the idea of quick enjoyable MMO PvP fun.

I also thught so about scenarios ... before even trying battlegrounds in Wow. Despite having 9 lv. 80 there and 1 lv. 77 have never played bg's in Wow. Actually ... one single time at lower level ... and was also my last try. Was not fun just running from graveyard 100% of time:-).

Here War did much better job adjusting lower level players stats so they were not in function as target dummies as this happen in bg's in in range 0-6. And in no other game I admit I never did it with a single alt to max level, and that says a lot; wow was my first game in my life that caused me real addiction (I just could not get to bed before completing that "last" quest). I'm no longer addicted but I still playing it when I have time to spare. Btw, I'm approaching 50 so I'm not small kid anymore. I did not liked cartoony look of wow initially ... but now I just love it. And the rest is since ever (I joined with BC) the best. Imo of course.

PvP, PvE. I never liked PvP, I'm PvE man. My first encounter with PvP that enjoyed a lot and changed this my view was thanks to War, especially scenarios. Very fun, but laggy. Just implayable with my pretty good pc. Even running Aoc(!) was much more fluid, and this says a lot. I also tried RvR areas ... but with nearly no players at any time around ... well ... was not fun. Actually ... if there were anyone around was usually me and at least 3 desto.  Scenarios were always accessible and with enough players. But laggy, imbalanced. Not only because of players ... but because of overpowerd "bad" guys.

But now also in Wow one can have instant access to bg's and is returned to same place when joined. Copycat from War? Who cares. It is there. And I love it. In bg no matter how much players are present .... everything runs smoooooooth for me! With 10 to 20 players in small space no lag. No lag. Could not believe when I left aprox week ago War and resubbed after long time Wow and tried for the first time bg's. Not a chance in scenarios (that I loved) anything is fluid... not even after the last of the latest patches.

So for now my final conclusion is that I will be split for long time only between Wow and Aoc ... and from time to time Lotro. And maybe some newcomer. I'm afraid I have decided that War is permanently out .... at least do not plan to return before year or so (If it will be still there). And I'm kind'a sad because of this because at least up to between lv. 15 and 29 with all possible alts I enjoed pretty a lot questing.  It is obvious that by far my world is Wow world ... but I'm always looking for something other and fun. Even if one love pizza, can not eat pizza for whole life and 5 times per day. :-)