Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese company bans opposite gender playing

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Unless the healthy male is thinking what the little girl would turn into from her current looks.  So the sexual mental image the healthy male would have would be of the little girl at the age of 21.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by Toquio3

Its more disturbing that you look at a pixel that way. Its creepy dude.  Go out look at the real thing theres or there is all kind of sites that offer real pics for free. MMO is for fun not sexual supplementation. 

I think that people who share this view are way more hung up on sex and take this way more seriously then males that play female characters.

Thats  the other arguments I see which isnt really an argument, the ole spin the table aproach. I wont bite on it because its a bogus argument.

Like I said earlier It boils down to G.I. Joe or barbie, and ninja turtles or ponies.  

And your argument was what? that you feel its creepy?

Keep dodging buddy.

See red text to answer your question. Of course it boils down to whats socially acceptable for the male race and female race. Theres a whole lot more to it that A vs. B or C vs D. An entire P.H.D thesis can be written on those topics. and probably already has. 

You just keep thinking the world is that black and white "buddy".

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

In about two hours, this thread has gone to eleven pages...

Oo

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by ozerinx

You've been trolling this thread and venting about china for the past 9 pages. You need some therapy.
    I am not from China I dislike their government and policies myself but to talk shit about a country that you only know about through media/news is naive.

hm I see. So when you watch a political debate on TV about a touchy topic where the discussion gets heated, you think those discussing whatever topic need therapy? You know nothing about me, yet are perfectly happy to assume Im what, crazy? thats cool.

You just proved to me that you need help. You believe this is a political debate on TV about a touchy topic. Before you make accusations about China first read the news connected to the topic first. Then research about it.

Never said you were crazy said you were naive and need therapy since you did a lot of "venting" obviously you have some sort of anger problem or deep long hatred towards China. Did China abuse you when you were little or did he sexually harassed you?

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556
    Originally posted by Horusra

Unless the healthy male is thinking what the little girl would turn into from her current looks.  So the sexual mental image the healthy male would have would be of the little girl at the age of 21.

Now, thats creepy...

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

You've been trolling this thread and venting about china for the past 9 pages. You need some therapy.
    I am not from China I dislike their government and policies myself but to talk shit about a country that you only know about through media/news is naive.

hm I see. So when you watch a political debate on TV about a touchy topic where the discussion gets heated, you think those discussing whatever topic need therapy? You know nothing about me, yet are perfectly happy to assume Im what, crazy? thats cool.

You just proved to me that you need help. You believe this is a political debate on TV about a touchy topic. Before you make accusations about China first read the news connected to the topic first. Then research about it.

Never said you were crazy said you were naive and need therapy since you did a lot of "venting" obviously you have some sort of anger problem or deep long hatred towards China. Did China abuse you when you were little or did he sexually harassed you?

I dont believe this is a political debate on TV. I was making that comparison to make a point. this discussion on this thread got heated. so what? does that mean people need therapy?

and because i vent i have a anger problem? quite the contrary. people with anger problems are the ones who never vent their anger.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

There seems to be a lot of homophobia going on with the people who have a problem with people playing a character of the opposite gender. It's no ones business how people want to play the game, but the person playing the game.

Another disturbing trend in this post is the willingness of some people to give China a pass on it's long history of denying human rights and freedom to it's people. It's real easy for people who have never lived in tyranny, to underestimate the blessings of their own liberty.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Yes, they have the right to their opinion. but they dont have the right to expect everyone to abide by that opinion. labeling them "creepy" is wrong. just because your friends are creepy and drool over pixelated women doesnt mean we all are.
    I am a man and i am perfectly happy being a man. but I prefer to play female characters in mmos. why? who the hell knows. Why do I prefer oranges over apples? who on earth knows...

Well, I think it's creepy. That's my opinion. You might think it's wrong, and that's fine, but that's my opinion.

Originally posted by Brixon

There seems to be a lot of homophobia going on with the people who have a problem with people playing a character of the opposite gender. It's no ones business how people want to play the game, but the person playing the game.
    Another disturbing trend in this post is the willingness of some people to give China a pass on it's long history of denying human rights and freedom to it's people. It's real easy for people who have never lived in tyranny, to underestimate the blessings of their own liberty.

THANK YOU!

I don't think it's homophobia or a problem with sexual orientation, but rather a problem with gender bending. The two can sometimes be related, but in this case, the focus is on gender, not sexual orientation.

Unless I read the OP wrong, this is a private company, not the government, setting up this requirement.

Also, I don't think this qualifies as a human rights violation. Plenty of private companies levy restrictions on their employees private lives, even in the U.S., and no one complains because most people agree that a private company has the right to decide such things.

Given that we're talking about a game restriction, I think it's a little insulting to put this in the same category as, say, the crackdown on protesters in the post-Iranian election period.

Originally posted by Daedalus732

I don't think it's homophobia or a problem with sexual orientation, but rather a problem with gender bending. The two can sometimes be related, but in this case, the focus is on gender, not sexual orientation.

Unless I read the OP wrong, this is a private company, not the government, setting up this requirement.

Also, I don't think this qualifies as a human rights violation. Plenty of private companies levy restrictions on their employees private lives, even in the U.S., and no one complains because most people agree that a private company has the right to decide such things.

Given that we're talking about a game restriction, I think it's a little insulting to put this in the same category as, say, the crackdown on protesters in the post-Iranian election period.

I agree with most of this. however, I went straight for the throat on china. people attacked me. and when people attack me for attacking china, im sorry but they are defending china, and I cant stand for that. For the better or worst (am now im sure it was for the worst) the subject is on the table. all we can do now is try to move on.

THANK YOU!

I am going to assume you both lived in China and therefore are saying that it sucks?

I've lived there for 2 years and I thought it was great. Most the students I met there and people

that I know in US that were from China can't wait to finish college and go back. We may view communism as tyranny

but who cares if the people there don't really care.

Yes, in news your going to see extremist like tibet monks etc that hate their country but you have those type of people

in every country.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

You just keep thinking the world is that black and white "buddy".

You still refuse to acknowlage the point at hand and continue to vere the argument off track. I would try to take your approach too if I were on your side of the argument, because arguing that a boy playing with barbies and ponies is normal is a mountianous task. Not saying its impossible but I am sure stats wouldnt be in favor for that argument. I would love to stay and see what you reply but I have 9 min to get back to work 15 min away.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

First off, guys with female avatars has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality.  If I play a game as a sheep does that mean I am into bestiality?

Second, this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with the actions of the people who call themselves the government of China.  It has to do with some game company that happens to reside in an area of the world that we call "China".

Third, just because some want to keep talking about it, the policies of the Chinese state are no different in principal than any other state that has ever existed, currently does, or ever will.

THANK YOU!

I am going to assume you both lived in China and therefore are saying that it sucks?

I've lived there for 2 years and I thought it was great. Most the students I met there and people

that I know in US that were from China can't wait to finish college and go back. We may view communism as tyranny

Yes, in news your going to see extremist like tibet monks etc that hate their country but you have those type of people

in every country.

Except in civilized countries, those peaceful "extremists" dont get shot by the police, and political refugees are not sent back to their country of origin to face consequences for leaving.. and calling people who just want freedom extremists is pretty extreme.

Originally posted by Toquio3 however, I went straight for the throat on china. people attacked me. and when people attack me for attacking china, im sorry but they are defending china, and I cant stand for that. For the better or worst (am now im sure it was for the worst) the subject is on the table. all we can do now is try to move on.

I think that was the problem. You saw "China" and went straight for the throat just because it was China. I don't think that should be done for ANY country.

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

The length of time it took for this thread to reach the amount of pages that it is at is creepy.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by hades302

Yay!
    Sorta...
    I really hate it when a human plays an elf.
    It's creepy...

QFT lol.  And your are right Toquio3, I think the whole rpg concept does escape some people.  Nothing wrong with playing a character of the opposite sex.  Thats the beauty of roleplaying games, you get to play what ever you want. 

I have said it before, even the father of roleplaying games Gary Gygax has played characters of the opposite sex before.  This is a not even an issue with those of us from a pen and paper rpg background.

Except in civilized countries, those peaceful "extremists" dont get shot by the police, and political refugees are not sent back to their country of origin to face consequences for leaving.. and calling people who just want freedom extremists is pretty extreme.

Protesters get shot by the police all the time, even in Western democracies. Not all of them are "peaceful", and it doesn't take much for a tense situation to get out of hand. It's terribly unfortunate, but it does happen, and it's hardly a condemnation on the whole system because a handful of people got violent on both sides.

Western Democracies DO send political refugees back to their countries of origin. It happens all the time because they get classified as "economic refugees". This isn't a China problem, it's a humanitarian problem on a global scale.

If your definition of "Freedom" is the complete restructuring of the social and political landscape of the country, I think that's pretty extreme. That doesn't mean it's wrong to want it, or that it's right to punish such people for advocating it, but I think it does qualify as extreme, particularly when you consider that China has always been a conservative society.

THANK YOU!

in every country.

Please learn to read news from all sources instead of just media. The Tibetan monks were attacking other civilians before they got shot. If there were "protest" like that in the US, force would be used in the States as well. There were a video that you obviously did not see where a random Chinese civilians got beat by a group of Tibetan monks and drag across the floor. Also, regarding that incident you do know why the monks protested? They wanted China to pass a law in the Tibetan area only Monks are allowed to be educated. They also want to be self governed. So let me ask you, if Californians all got together and protested to be separated and become independent of United States, would military force be used?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This has nothing to do with human rights violation, no. Its just a cowardly rule of a private company. And the ppl who think its creepy that a guy is playing a female character, without actually being able to explain why they think that, need their heads examined.

I dont care what kind of phobia we should officially call it, but it is the kind of phobia that I like to call 'if i want to play a fem character as male, i play a fem character! mind your bloody own business already'-phobia :p

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

That Chinas policy toward its own subjects is violatory of human rights and liberties is undisputed fact. Evidence may be derived from the work of NGOs like Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, the different conventions derived from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (to which the Peoples Republic of China is signatory) and their working bodies at the UN. Documentation by the US State Department as well as American Congressional comissions, not to mention similar works by most western nation states. Well publicized incidents in the media as well as investigative journalism by reputed sources such as Le Monde or the BBC.

Its only been two decades since the worst of the repression demonstrated by the Chinese government against the protestors in Tiananmen square, and the ongoing mistreatment of Tibetan and Uighur minorities were the subject of international attention in the past few months.

Anyone disputing that China does not pursue oppressive and dictatorial tactics against its own citizens is either uninformed or outright pursuing a personal agenda.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Problems with gender bending seem a liltte homophobic to me.

Would this "private company" be doing this if was anywhere else but China?

• rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

Except in civilized countries, those peaceful "extremists [tibetans(sp?)]" dont get shot by the police

Lol, YES THEY WOULD!  The people of tibet basically want to be left alone right, and govern themselves the way they see fit?  Try secession against your friendly "civilized" rulers, and you will quickly find out that they are no different then the eastern big red scare.

Originally posted by Caleveira

That Chinas policy toward its own subjects is violatory of human rights and liberties is undisputed fact. Evidence may be derived from the work of NGOs like Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, the different conventions derived from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (to which the Peoples Republic of China is signatory) and their working bodies at the UN. Documentation by the US State Department as well as American Congressional comissions, not to mention similar works by most western nation states. Well publicized incidents in the media as well as investigative journalism by reputed sources such as Le Monde or the BBC.
    Its only been two decades since the worst of the repression demonstrated by the Chinese government against the protestors in Tiananmen square, and the ongoing mistreatment of Tibetan and Uighur minorities were the subject of international attention in the past few months.
    Anyone disputing that China does not pursue oppressive and dictatorial tactics against its own citizens is either uninformed or outright pursuing a personal agenda.

.....No one is saying they are not oppressive or dictatorial. It is a communist government what do you expect? Personally, I don't think the UN should've let China join just because the difference in government and beliefs of the people are too different. Instead of focusing on China if the Human Rights Watch actually do their jobs, there is probably a handful of third world countries causing genocides in Africa right now.