Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow clone

charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

I know companies are trying to compete against wow but this game has gone the wrong way by actully looking like wow in every way even the hud is from wow.

Comments

• shain1234shain1234 Member UncommonPosts: 83

my go to talk ! :) 

currently this game is awesome, yes its got bugs, its got lack of small content like ooo hair do's

but this game is brilliant, the top looks like wow, but the mechanics under the hood are drasticly different,

the people are amazing not one person bitches and moans, there are live chatty and very friendly ingame employees listening to you getting to know you and even make live fixes, giving you materials so you can test crafting. even the company president pops in and says hi everyday.

the game is brilliant, its fun and may looks like wow, which it kinda is, but if you get into the game you will see just how different it is, i think the fact it looks like wow is more because its very recogniseable to many many players, its not its best feature, but try it, enjoy it, get to know the community and you will not be dissapointed 

5 level 80's on WoW -_- boooooring !!

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I can't believe it. Another "WoW Clone" Thread. I guess WOW created the internet too. I guess any fantasy themed RPG style MMO with quests is a WOW clone. EQ and M59 must have looked into the future to clone themselves after WOW since they had those elements before WOW existed.

There is not such thing as a WOW clone.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

I can't believe it. Another "WoW Clone" Thread. I guess WOW created the internet too. I guess any fantasy themed RPG style MMO with quests is a WOW clone. EQ and M59 must have looked into the future to clone themselves after WOW since they had those elements before WOW existed.
    There is not such thing as a WOW clone.

Just because you don't understand what makes a game a WOW clone vs something more akin to EQ doesn't mean they don't exist.

One such characteristic would be to copy the HUD, but its not the only or even main factor. (but that's a discussion for another thread)

Since I've not played Alganon I can't say whether its a WOW clone or not, seems the verdict is still out between those playing it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

This game has much the same flavor to it as did Horizons back in the day.   A game that I played for three years. A game with some of the best ideas of a mmorpg ever..including a robust crafting system and playable dragons, satyrs and pixies. I miss the muti-leveling, player made housing, and dynamic mob spawns. *sigh*

I don't miss the extreme lag and all the client issues though.

A truely great game with massive..MASSIVE potential but so extremely frustrating to play because none could ever realize that potential. I finally quite playing in order to simply save my sanity.

David Allen is leading the charge on this one too I've come to understand which is encouraging. He's known for thinking out of the box so don't be fooled by the WoW interface.  In my opinion ...imitation is the most sincere form of flatery.

It would make sense since WoW has made millions of gamers familiar with it's interface..which happens to be clean, efficiente and effective.

Where would we be without imitations within the auto industry? or TV's ...or anywhere.

Maybe I'll play it..maybe not. I'm undecided yet. I'm playing WoW atm..and have been surprised to find it rather fun. I beta tested it back in the day for abit, but I was playing Horizons then and ..well..WoW was nothing close to the experince Horizons was. Theme park game vs a true sandbox game.

/rambling off

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Alganon is no way a sandbox first of all, second horizons has like what 10 totally different races this game has 2 human looking things and third, there's alot of ways to make a user friendly UI that would rather help you and not scare customers away because of them thinking its a wow clone.

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Alganon is no way a sandbox first of all, second horizons has like what 10 totally different races this game has 2 human looking things and third, there's alot of ways to make a user friendly UI that would rather help you and not scare customers away because of them thinking its a wow clone.

1st ) I never said Alganon was a sandbox game only that Horizons was. I haven't played Alganon so I'm only commenting on what I've read about it so far. It has a Horizons..." flavor" about it, for lack of better wording.

2nd )I agree..the lack of race and  classes is disappointing. One big reason I haven't pre-ordered yet is because I don't want to pay full price for half a game. Horizons has tons of options with it's races and ability to mix and match classes through it's multi-classing system. I loved that system !! I played a Reaver, Healer, Guardian, Barbarian mix and man..was it fun, until all the players left.

3rd) I can give you half credit on your opinion about the UI. I can see your point, but counter with the argument that since many of Alganon players will have much WoW experience, I can understand why one would want to make them feel as much at home as possible.

Besides..it's the game play that matters..not the way the UI looks...so long as the UI works well in game..that's all that matters. IMO

As far as being a WoW clone..so what. Wasn't Dodge, Crysler, Toyota, Nissan all Ford clones? WoW is the Ford of MMO's. That's a tired argument...as if..looking like a WoW clone is a bad thing. I'm playing WoW and having fun. It's a good game thats easy to play and hard to master. Since I work 50+ hours a week and have a family to take care of...that's perfect for me. Bring on the WoW clones!!

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

Holy Bejesus! I just logged out of Alganon and god Im suprised blizzard can't sue this company because it clearly looks EXACTLY like wow...

After the few years of playing WOW I think its a horrible game but god I literally felt like I was playing it again....

Even the idle animations or the animation when you stop moving while swimming is like they had WOW running on one monitor while they replicated them on another.

To be fair I basically logged in and out in 5 minutes so I have no idea how the rest of the game plays out.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

Some stuff is copied but no it's not clone. clone copes every aspect of WoW which alganon does not copy every thing. also how many features did WoW grab from other games. achievements where on EQ2 before WoW is just one example. it's not uncommon to see mmo's share features. City of heroes made mission creator now star wars galaxies copied that. like another poster said there are features like WoW but there different as well.

• edgar50edgar50 Member Posts: 9

half the people responding probably played to lvl 5 if that.  Go ahead say this is a WoW clone, just because it looks alike doesn't mean it is.  The game is alright, nothing special, but theres no pvp and the rest of the game hasn't been released, who am i to judge

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

It's not as bad as I thought it would be even if it's no better or worse than any other typical quest grinder. Got a soldier to 5 but their regen is borked for now so rolled a healer and got to 7 before I crashed for the 20th time. The art style is very reminiscent of Runes of Magic. The UI is obviously paying homage to WoW, with its own subtle differences.

The gimmick here is obviously their off-line studying ala EVE Online and it's one of those gimmicks that really shines. The library is a very nice touch as well.

Too bad they're only releasing 2/8 races and 4/7 classes. Ouch.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

I saw this on the Direct2Drive (US) site.  Based on design and content, there is no way I would pay 40$ for a product that looks and feels like a few other games on the market that are either free to play, or I have already purchased.  Alganon hits to close on the mark of a 'clone' to warrant any type of purchase.  Depending on it's success or failure going this route will prove itself down the road after it is released.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Allods is like 10 times better and it's gonna be free, i just don't get the pricing aswell.

• FeycatFeycat Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Thamoris
    David Allen is leading the charge on this one too I've come to understand which is encouraging. He's known for thinking out of the box so don't be fooled by the WoW interface.  In my opinion ...imitation is the most sincere form of flatery.
    It would make sense since WoW has made millions of gamers familiar with it's interface..which happens to be clean, efficiente and effective.

It's not just the UI. The game is EXACTLY like WoW. The toons are the same, the environment is the same, the animal mobs are ripped off whole cloth and animated exactly the same. It's someone else's idea of how WoW should be, and that's fine, but be honest. The game is a completely rip-off. It is not just the UI. It's the talent trees, it's the combat icons, it's the toons, it's the trees, it's the concept.

They do in fact have the awesome study system, and a great crafting system, but frankly, the game looks and plays like WoW - only made for the SNES, with the quality of animation and clarity of environment dumbed down. If I wanted to play something that looks and plays that much like WoW, I'd go back to WoW.

I can't imagine how they're going to release this game without getting the pants sued off of them. It's like playing an emulator.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

I have never been one to acuse a company of making a wow clone.

I've never called a game a wow clone.

But after playing this...urgh...I really hate to say it.

But this is a wow clone.

Groovy.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

I tried it and omg it is awful it takes me about 30 mins just to load a npc in front of me and when i click a button ingame it takes about a min to respond, even though i get 75 fps from the game. And before you say my internet connection is probebly really slow i do have my signiture posteing my internet speed.

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332

The game is not ready to be released. 

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by charlespayne

I know companies are trying to compete against wow but this game has gone the wrong way by actully looking like wow in every way even the hud is from wow.

And WOW completely ripped off EQ and it has not failed them,so what's the point?Heck not only did Blizzard copy EQ,but they used an inferior game engine,cheaper graphics,cheaper game play,so what does that tell you about gamers in general that would follow the masses to a cheaper version of EQ?I think it shows the gaming model does not matter at all,it is all about luck/hype/lying/fake cinematic videos[again used for hype],pretty much everything that should not matter,seems like it does.

So who Alganon copies or whatever does not matter to me or gamers in general,they will either play it or they won't.Usually if the hype shows the a large following will play it,then everyone else follows,that is the trend i have seen over the years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xbot7xbot7 Member Posts: 112

as a f2p game.. i would say: wounderful environments and areas and character animations.. it plays very smooth..

as a p2p game i would say: why pay for? its not SOO much new

but .. its not a wow clone.. its a game of same genre, thats all

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by charlespayne

And WOW completely ripped off EQ and it has not failed them,so what's the point?Heck not only did Blizzard copy EQ,but they used an inferior game engine,cheaper graphics,cheaper game play,so what does that tell you about gamers in general that would follow the masses to a cheaper version of EQ?I think it shows the gaming model does not matter at all,it is all about luck/hype/lying/fake cinematic videos[again used for hype],pretty much everything that should not matter,seems like it does.

So who Alganon copies or whatever does not matter to me or gamers in general,they will either play it or they won't.Usually if the hype shows the a large following will play it,then everyone else follows,that is the trend i have seen over the years.

It's not about luck, hype, lying or cinematics at all. Those things might attract initial players, but it won't keep them playing for long than the free month. A polished complete game with solid gameplay makes all the difference.

With alganon their plagiarism put me off instantly. Why would I play a game that virtually IS wow, when I can play the real thing instead? A polished game with a few years of evolving and adding content versus a brand new, less polished, more bug ridden game? Not a hard choice for me anyway.

Companies need to stop thinking they can take a cheap ride off wow to success. I won't work. Never will.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Jesus christ, these discussions are getting old.

World of Warcraft seemed more directly influenced in terms of UI, the general feel of movement, the pace of the combat, moreso from Asheron's Call 2 than Everquest. Warcraft didn't directly mimic or immitate anything from Everquest. Their UI, character advancement, might resemble it, but it wasn't directly copied, and like I said, it bares a closer likeness to Asheron's Call 2.

Now you take Alganon and it looks directly copied from Warcraft. From the controls, to the titles of skills and talents, to the UI, down to literally, the quest progression. No lie. I don't understand the "IT LOOKS LIKE WOW BUT UNDER THE HOOD IT'S DIFFERENT" arguments. When something is so blatantly copied how can you compare someone lifting the general concept and completely revising it in an original sense, which is not what Alganon did?

None of the features that would make Alganon unique are ingame, nor will they be at launch or anytime soon. It's a quest and craft grind, that's all there is to do. There's no other content aside from grinding quests, at all. So when you have such bland gameplay as I just described in terms of content, and the skill titles, the functions of those skills and talents, what makes Alganon any different? The combat mechanics aren't breaking the mold like AOC or Spellborn. 

It's exactly the same thing with a lot less polish. Maybe it isn't a WOW clone. Maybe it's a.. clone of a WOW clone. I get more of the Runes of Magic vibe honestly than WOW, and Runes of Magic is 10x the polished game Alganon currently is. Let's drop the bullshit. Hell, you're forgetting most of the skills don't work, the talents don't exist currently other than the trees, none of the classes are even close to being locked-down in terms of skill progression, when they get those skills, anything. It's a mess.

alganon is stil very "not ready" i think.

i hope for alganon.. there will be much more for players ;D

but actually.. (except it shall be p2p) it can be very nice gameplay..

and for the ones who compare the graph witht wow..

wow never was so smooth..

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by xbot7

wow never was so smooth..

That cracked me up.

I have to agree with the poster above xbot's post, wow did copy others but they didnt just copy one game they took good things from alot of games and then IMPROVED it whereas here alganon takes everything from wow except the study system and does a worst job at it, its made by a less talented team and a way lower budget.

oh.. my post didnt appear ;D

ok what i wanted to say: "english" is of course not my "mother tongue" so sorry if i didnt explain good enough:with "smooth" i dndt talk about the gameplay of wow .. that IS smooth as hell of course.. i was talking about character animation and tree animation whatever :D (see my post here: http://www.morpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3174273/thread/257045#3174273 )

thank you!

• FeycatFeycat Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by xbot7

oh.. my post didnt appear ;D

ok what i wanted to say: "english" is of course not my "mother tongue" so sorry if i didnt explain good enough:with "smooth" i dndt talk about the gameplay of wow .. that IS smooth as hell of course.. i was talking about character animation and tree animation whatever :D (see my post here: http://www.morpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3174273/thread/257045#3174273 )

thank you!

Okay, except the animation in Alganon isn't smooth. At all. Everything in Alganon is jerky and stuttery and half the time when you enter into combat with something, you've gotten off 2 or 3 attacks before it even animates being in combat with you, then most of the time is suddenly jumps behind you. I'm working on a system that can play LOTRO at ultra-high, so not being able to play a game that basically has sprite-level toons in it is a fault of the game.

• bawjawbawjaw Member Posts: 32

Well I have just had the opportunity to play this game.

Everything about it is warcraft like unfortunately.

• The Login screen
    • Character Creation screen is very similar
    • The UI is a total rip off
      • The Action Book is the same as the Skill in warcraft
      • Vendor windows, quest givers etc are the exact same
      • Profession window..
      • Talents..
      • Reputation and Skill window..
      • The whole default layout basically, system menu, hotbar, portraits, map and chat windows

My Other half actually came in and thought I started playing Warcraft again. I really can't believe how similar this game is to Warcraft.

I think they are meant to be releasing the game at the end of the month? and its currently on the final wave of beta testing, this game IMHO needs a lot more time in beta. The game crashed a lot for me, jumping looked horrible as you would float the just plop to the ground and jumping up a slope made you go through the terrain , chars getting stuck in the terrain at the starting area, music would get stuck and make a awful sound to name a few things I noticed. Even the damn menu when pressing escape is the same!

This is no doubt a "WoW Clone" in fact its the worst clone I have personally seen.

Really is a shame.