Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: The Iron Tower

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The team over at Funcom has penned this developer journal giving us details on the newest dungeon in the game: The Iron Tower.

From the hands of Conan himself the Iron Tower was founded as a prison of civil confinement for the most malicious and vile criminals within Aquilonia. Murders, thieves and other deviant corrupted souls are here awaiting their unforseen judgement before the hands of Mitra.

The Iron Tower brings the final chapter from the epic story of Tarantia Common District. This closure introduces a vast amount of new and challenging game play including four new epic boss encounters, five mini-boss encounters, the chance of five rare boss encounters, and many new exciting rewards for levels 78 to 80.

Towering over the rooftops below, The Iron Tower can be seen from anywhere in the Tarantia Commons District. Previously inaccessible for players on the Age of Conan servers, the new dungeon is now opening up for adventurers with who dare to face the many challenges within.

Read The Iron Tower Dev Journal.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

AoC has great graphics, they would even be much better if they were consistent.

Like the in one of the pics of the dungeon the grey statues does not fit the environment at all.

The texture makes them look like brand new in an old and moisty dungeon...

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

After it's shakey launch AoC is just getting better and better.

Who would have thought that out of all the fantasty MMOs released recently that AoC would be the one to survive and grow.

Lots of kodos has to go to Sirrilion for turning the game around, keep up the good work!

• Greek_MattGreek_Matt Member Posts: 354

For all the many problems AoC has had since it launched, in lots of ways this game definitely raised the bar for MMO gaming. I keep catching myself while playing other (recent and older) titles thinking "Yeah, but Conan did this better". The graphics, the setting, the more dynamic combat, the steady flow of new content... of course I'm not blind to the issues that still plague the title, but I'm certain that in the long run history will judge this game a lot more favourably than many could have believed at launch.

But then, that's always been Funcom's problem right?

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Greek_Matt

For all the many problems AoC has had since it launched, in lots of ways this game definitely raised the bar for MMO gaming. I keep catching myself while playing other (recent and older) titles thinking "Yeah, but Conan did this better". The graphics, the setting, the more dynamic combat, the steady flow of new content... of course I'm not blind to the issues that still plague the title, but I'm certain that in the long run history will judge this game a lot more favourably than many could have believed at launch.
    But then, that's always been Funcom's problem right?

Funcom has managed to sort out some of the huge issues the game had.  That does not mean that there are not other huge issues in the game - and even bigger issues that were promised at launch but havn't even beein implemented - Like mounted combat.

I still give Funcom abit of credit cause they are at least in touch with the reality and are fixing the right things.  Compare that to WAR where they are not bringing any real solutions to the problems - Only increasting them in many ways.

That beeing said - Both WAR and AOC are mediocre games and statistcs show that.  The launch of AION took these games down to 60-70 on xfire - and so far there are no signs of recovering from it. 

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Ofc new games like Aion will take away from games like AoC and War. Even WoW, but since WoW has a lot of players it will not be as noticable.

Aion's 30 free days is nearly up, head over to the Aion forums now and see how many people are complaining about the game. Which is normal for a new game, a lot of people will leave.

AoC is not perfect but it is heading in the right direction and as i said in my previous post, out of all the newly released fantasy MMOs, AoC is the one that I feel will top the pack. The vibe around it is good, head over to the AoC forums and see for yourself.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Smurf dude, AoC is finished, what in the world makes you think people will go back? People don't want to rejoin a game that had server merges, new content or not. I agree the games graphics are awesome, but people don't go back after getting treated bad and lied to by funcom...It's just not going to happen and it has never happened in the history of MMOs...I had 4 lvl 80 toons on AoC and even if they paid me i would not return, yes it left a big scar

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Evolution8

Smurf dude, AoC is finished, what in the world makes you think people will go back? People don't want to rejoin a game that had server merges, new content or not. I agree the games graphics are awesome, but people don't go back after getting treated bad and lied to by funcom...It's just not going to happen and it has never happened in the history of MMOs...I had 4 lvl 80 toons on AoC and even if they paid me i would not return, yes it left a big scar

Foolishness.

I've drank a glass of milk that made me sick, I low-and-behold continued to drink milk.  Why you undoubhtedly ask? Because I like milk.

I like Age of Conan too.  Do I care what was "on the box" when the game launched? No, not even remotely. Why... you undoubhtedly pontificate? Because the game is fun... to me. Fun is the key here, ladies and gentlemen. Do, we, have, fun, with the product. Do we enjoy it.

I don't care what "Funcom" did in the month the game launched, it doesn't matter, its in the past. Right now though, AoC is fun. Its what I expected it would be, thats all that matters to me.

• KhalifaKhalifa Member Posts: 15

I really wanna try this game out before I commit to buying AiOn,what were the problems before?

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Methane24

I really wanna try this game out before I commit to buying AiOn,what were the problems before?

You will love the game from lvl 1-80 it is awesome, but after lvl 80 you will get griefed by the people who have high lvl PvP gear and it will force you to quit, eye candy is like no other MMO ever made, but lacks in gameplay in general...I got a free 14 days and got my ass beat all over the server, my assassan was geared well when i quit the first-time...Now my gear is pathetic compared, let alone i can't kill anyone anymore, was nice of fujncom to invite people back after everyone who stayed got the uber pvp gear...It was kinda like going into a FPS game for the first time, you get owned and can't ever get anything done

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Just wanted to say good article and I'm looking forward to trying out this content.

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Originally posted by Evolution8

Foolishness.

I've drank a glass of milk that made me sick, I low-and-behold continued to drink milk.  Why you undoubhtedly ask? Because I like milk.

I like Age of Conan too.  Do I care what was "on the box" when the game launched? No, not even remotely. Why... you undoubhtedly pontificate? Because the game is fun... to me. Fun is the key here, ladies and gentlemen. Do, we, have, fun, with the product. Do we enjoy it.

I don't care what "Funcom" did in the month the game launched, it doesn't matter, its in the past. Right now though, AoC is fun. Its what I expected it would be, thats all that matters to me.

this is a terrible analogy. So, you drank a bad glass of milk yet continue to drink DIFFERENT milk. You didn't go back to the same jug that made you sick and drink some more.