Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soo, is this game any good?

TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 78

Never seen a review for it, just the many  ads (including those free forever and weird play secretly ads) ..

Anyone here who plays it?

--
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Comments

• GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79

It isn't an MMO. It's like... idk, it's like an RTS, and emphasis on REAL TIME. It's not that exciting. I played it for like 3 minutes then got bored. Idk, I guess try it if you want. Its not much of a risk.

• NesminNesmin Member Posts: 4

Gorudu, don't you dare say anything bad about Evony.

They will sue you.

http://brokentoys.org/2009/08/25/play-now-my-lawyer/

For real.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Worst Pile of crap ...........ever.

• TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 78

Was kinda curious because of all the ads. Seems like a large marketing budget.. But not interested in a RTS game right now..

--
    Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Turntable

Was kinda curious because of all the ads. Seems like a large marketing budget.. But not interested in a RTS game right now..

It's not hard to throw money at advertising with how much money a WoW Goldfarming business rakes in-*sued*

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

its slow, more of a a at work time sink... just dont spend any rl money hahaha

• RhayadderRhayadder Member UncommonPosts: 9

I stuck with it a couple of weeks. Won't be returning in a hurry.  You might think I think it's rubbish but I couldn't possibly say that.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

It was actually pretty enjoyable and can get pretty addicting too.

The only drawback is the time it takes for certain high level upgrades. We are talking days here. Unless you spend RL money to speed things up. Other then that it's actually a good game. Good graphics for a browser game and it seems the development team did a great deal of medieval research. 

• SveltineSveltine Member Posts: 4

It is like a stripped down Civilization game in a way. You build up your city, research tech, make units and expand. Whenever you send out an attack there is a timer bar that indicates how long till the battle begins, it represents how long the march takes. You get the same indication if someone has launched an attack on you....that is if you build up your Lookout Tower high enough.

I happened to end up in the number 1 guild on a server and reinforcing one another and group attacking made the game a lot more fun. It would be very rough if your starting city spawned right next to some big guy because then you will probably just get raped.

Since I've hit the end of what I can build and I'm prevented from starting or taking over any more cities (due to my failure to find enough medals) I have personally grown bored. I hate farming for medals.

It is great while the ride lasts and since you don't have to spend any money you should give it a try. Find a good guild though or you will be torn apart by the power gamers. If you solo, you will probably login to a city that has been leveled and that won't be much fun.

cheers

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Personally if you want a browser game to fiddle around with an hour or two a day, I'd recommend Heroes of Gaia far over Evony. Players in Evony spam a lot, or tend to be rude (If you don't play fast enough or get strong enough they will just boot you from an allince without warning, and then tell their players to farm you) 

Heroes of Gaia is more like a very slow form of Heroes of Might and Magic, and while things may take 2-3+ hours to build, you can run around with your hero gathering artifacts and resources. Guilds are also more wary about starting wars because it's a quick way to get ganged up on by opposing guilds, where Evony is more every man for themselves.

Before you Evony players respond, this is just based on MY personal experience, yours could differ :D

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I think their ads say it all lol. The over-use of women/cleavage in them is an obvious ploy to attract attention to an otherwise completly forgettable game.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by Archeminos

Personally if you want a browser game to fiddle around with an hour or two a day, I'd recommend Heroes of Gaia far over Evony. Players in Evony spam a lot, or tend to be rude (If you don't play fast enough or get strong enough they will just boot you from an allince without warning, and then tell their players to farm you) 

Maybe i was just lucky, but my experience wasn't like that at all. Yes, I got invaded, but I turned right back around and sent my armies after the guy who attacked me. Yes, I got raped, but they were so impressed at my chutzpa that they invited me to their guild. I had an awesome experience until I finally got bored and moved on.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

I like the game however the Free 2 Play is very misleading. You need to "pay" (ingame cents) even to chat in the world chat channel. You run outta these, you cant talk in world chat anymore. So what to do??

Welllll, there is a convenient shop button there that takes you right to their store to buy some more speakers, or building/research speedups, or buffs, or just about anything you could possibly want/need to play the game and stay alive too. Minimum purchase is $30. They sometimes run "specials", $5 for 250!! Thats 50 game cents and some pretty lame items worth (supposedly and assuredly highly overpriced game cent wise) the additional 200 value.

Most of the buffs and such they do have in the game are only temporary also. You can buy a buff for farming, for example, but it lasts anywhere from 24 hrs up to 7 days (of course, the longer buff the more expensive in game cents) but thats it. So of course, they want you to keep buying!!! Nothing is permanent so it could end up to be a long term, never ending money pit if you are a hard core player. Thing is, many seem to be! LOL

With the cost of the minimum purchase for temporary stuff in game at $30 a pop, and most mmorpgs costing around $15 for the entire month, some even less, it is an outrageously expensive Free 2 Play game. I could probably change my mind if in fact some of the things you get or buy are actually permanent things that would help you possibly have an edge over some other players, but alas, that is not the case.

Its a cash-cow game that has extremely amateurish servers capacities. Plus, unless you have a super duper newer computer, the CPU usage playng the game goes off  the charts! I have tried playing on both my older computer as well as my newer superduper puter and both dont like the massive usage this game does.

To play without buying anything, sure you can do it, but its not advised by the end of the long and time-sinking end, you will lose out against the suckers that in fact, DID spend real money to play this amateur game.

Greed.......ah well.....

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I played it for a while, but I didn't like that I had to constantly baby sit my towns b/c they could be attacked at any time and if someone large enough decides to take a grid, you're screwed. You have to TP out and hope it doesn't happen again. This never happened to me, but because I didn't want it to happen, I was always on. I didn't want to constantly have to be on, so I stopped logging on so much and noticed that I was getting attacked a lot more. I joined a large guild, which then turned into 3 guilds and I just got bored.

A guy at work always plays it and he's still having a lot of fun. He's progressed on his three accounts way more than I did on my one account. He has huge armies and farms NPC villages as well as players whenever he finds a reason to. After all, it is a war game.

Anyway, if your lifestyle allows you to monitor your cities and constantly queue up attacks, this game might be to your liking. If you don't want to spend all your free time and some additional time, playing Evony, then perhaps this isn't the game for you. It really does require some upkeep to be good at this game.

Oh and that friend at work has only spent ~$5 on the game in the few months that he's played it. I'm not sure of the exact time when we all started playing.

so...

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by booboofinger

Originally posted by Archeminos

Maybe i was just lucky, but my experience wasn't like that at all. Yes, I got invaded, but I turned right back around and sent my armies after the guy who attacked me. Yes, I got raped, but they were so impressed at my chutzpa that they invited me to their guild. I had an awesome experience until I finally got bored and moved on.

I had about the same experience.  The first guy that ever plundered my city later invited me join his alliance.  When I joined they sent me a ton of resources to rebuild my wall defenses. 

I have been playing about a month and I am enjoying it quite a bit.  Some of the high level training does take days.  To get to the last level in archery took 233 hours of training time.  Of course, these training times are nothing compared to the Eve.  You can train every skill to the top level in about a month. 

This is a pretty fun game if you are in to RTS.  It's a really diplomatic and active game.  Always on PvP with full loot... and it's free.   I can't really find much to complain about considering the price. Despite what some people have said here, you CAN play the game totally free.  And yes, you can still chat.  Talking in world chat uses a consumable item, which can be bought for real money.  I have plenty of them, and I have never spent a dime on one.  I also dont ever even view world-chat because it is a cesspool... like any game's open chat.  It costs nothing to speak in alliance chat or to whisper someone.  You also get a free spin on the prize wheel every day, where you can win all the things they sell for real money... You can even win 10 to 30 dollars worth of coins on a spin.  That is how I have bought every item I have wanted. 

• Tigershark20Tigershark20 Member Posts: 2

So it seems the only evidence the nay-sayers to this game have is what other players have posted...not much personal experience. I've played the game for a while now and just now saw that female banner ad. All the others say something like 'do you like RTS games?'  Of course you can get attacked... If you want a game where all you do is build, play something else. The game is free to play and to whoever said you can't chat in world unless you pay, you're wrong.  It takes Speakers to talk but they can be won for free with your daily Amulet.  It's painfully obvious which of you have played and are commenting on your experience, and those who read what other people say and act like they feel the same way.  Make your own decision.