Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About C-Store

charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Hi just wondering why people are complaining about the C-Store, but yet no one complained about it for CoX becouse basicly it is same just done diff as in CoX you buy added costumes from the site instead of ingame?.

Comments

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

good question.

part of them did gripe about the cox stuff .some were the ones in co beta griping about the direction co was headed ( an they were right).others dont want a monthly fee an a item shop in the same game ,like its double diping on the customers.players on one side feel their getn cheeted content for not buying the "extra".

note cox did not have a item shop at launch or even int its 1st few months .an releases a whole lot of content for free every few months.co has released item shop before any free content.one could aruge the added repetable missions as fre content but its more a patch for their nerfing xp an content gaps.

12.50 for a full recon in co ,while some say they will just skip lunch to pay for it no big deal.to me its a big deal .an now those with real life coin can do forum of the month builds on the fly ,an cheepn the game over all .part of the game is pvp unlocks... now one side will go but the games not about pvp as a focus.but theirs rewards for it.

an as one poster on their forums said why dont they just start saleing pvp points or the unlocks?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Problem is though people are not forced to buy the stuff, just like paying for broadband and buying the extra stuff like router to use it wireless even though thay dont need too.

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

The fact of the matter is people are going to complain about things because that is what they do.  You can never, NEVER make everyone happy.  People are going to bitch and whine about things and there's nothing anyone can do about it.  No one is making anyone purchase the extra costumes, the slots, etc..  It is not required.  In fact, most of it is convenience or aesthetics.  Even the retcons.  They are offered for an out of game dollar amount to those who do not want to spend the time grinding out the in game money.  I mean, seriously. 

They have the Powerhouse to test your powers out before you buy them.  What game lets you do that?  And yet people still fuck their characters up and then whine when they cannot get a retcon easily.  People in the forums were begging to get a paid retcon, now they have it and are bitching that the paid retcons actually cost money.  Psh.  Whatever.  As to the puchases of costumes?  Uh, like the OP said, CoH had sets like the magic set and such that you could purchase.  Yes, CO put in C-Store items before free content, but the free content begins on the 27th with the Blood Moon event, wherein they will be releasing content to fill in missing areas during the game, as well as a new powerset with healing and damage capability combined.

• MadMoppetMadMoppet Member UncommonPosts: 14

It's true you can never make everyone happy, but you can't blame people for having an opinion on a topic like this. People will be upset if they feel they aren't getting a good value for their money, which is entirely subjective. I played CoX during its first year and I don't remember there being any cash shop, or even any mentions of one in the works. I do remember some discussions about in game advertising. I'm sure when they opened up the cash shop in CoX there was a lot of discussion about it, but that was some time ago and things have calmed down. I also think that CoX has a much smaller population than CO. A population that is made up of the more dedicated players who have stuck it out year after year through some pretty big changes. I think they would be less likely to debate the topic and more likely to go in whichever direction the game goes.

In CO the store is new (along with the rest of the game), and the debates on the forums can yield some results. After the cash shop has been in place for a while major changes will be unlikely and people will quiet down. I'm sure that in a few months anyone who didn't like the C-store will have moved on to other games or gotten used to the idea of it being there as it is.

For full disclosure, I tried CO, but it wasn't for me. I've kept up with it through the forums and blogs on the game.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Maybe people complain because CO is now much more expensive than other simillar MMOs.

Do you think CO have the depth and the content to be more expensive than MMOs like WoW, EvE or LotrO?

And its even more mind blowing when you take in the fact that CO was suppoed to cost 1/2 of other MMOs to make. So they made a cheaper MMO and charge the player more for it? Doesnt add up to me...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Please your talking about CO.  Why not post this in the thread that bothered you so much? I have no clue as to where all these people are. You just tossed  yourself right in the same boat... LOL your complaining about others complaining about the c store.

Why do you care what others like or dislike? Does it lol even matter.. the game is not a hit

Originally posted by charlespayne

Problem is though people are not forced to buy the stuff, just like paying for broadband and buying the extra stuff like router to use it wireless even though thay dont need too.

often used counter "you dont have to buy any thing" but you will have less than those who do by default even if its just cosmetic.the idea would they ( the company) will put the beter items in the shop instead of puting them in game for every one.

they have said they would have them in game for unlock before .for every thing in the shop we will see how well that holds true.oh an as some one else figured out at 40 a full retcon is around 800 global recources.thats a long time farming.not just a few hours .

apearnce tho is odd as well tho i understand its difrent departments working on difrent areas of a game.put in cash shop before fixing bugs in game like capes disapearing,mobs not spawning for misions ,mission doors not highlighted for missions entry,log in server problems ,powers with incorect wording,powers that dont work corctly ,etc etc.

broadband comparison isnt a good comparison as most games now require it.but i have played eq on dial up at 21k an did fine.even played cox at that speed.

its simple tho you pay more you get more .it should be if the more is worth it to you .to me its not.but with the choice last month of buying co or the booster packs in cox .i chose cox booster packs.an atm wishing i didnt find co at 30 bucks  this month.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by Papadam

Maybe people complain because CO is now much more expensive than other simillar MMOs.
    Do you think CO have the depth and the content to be more expensive than MMOs like WoW, EvE or LotrO?
    And its even more mind blowing when you take in the fact that CO was suppoed to cost 1/2 of other MMOs to make. So they made a cheaper MMO and charge the player more for it? Doesnt add up to me...

Please..you mention WoW? WOW!? I mean for pete's sake they have almost all the saem things sans the costumes and character slots.    Want to completely reinvent your char, escapea faction that hates you, don't want to start over?  Pay for a Racial / Faction Reset..gasp thats essentially what a Full retcon is in CO except you can't escape people you piss off.  

Want that fancy awsome super cool looking mount even though its got no additional speed?  Spend hundreds of dollars on the WoW trading card game to try and get the card taht unlocks it.  Awsome lil pet thta does nothing?  Spend money on the card game or the con and gasp you get it!  

You dont need any of these things in WoW yet they offer it and NO ONE goes BOO HOO over it but another game adds similiar things without the whole Random Chance BS like a card game and everyone cries foul.   It makes no sense and is completely unreasonable.   So by everyone's logic here in WoW there is no possible way for you to ever fully catch up to someone whos' fully invested in the Cons and the Card Game.    Seriously?! Seriously?! I mean come on if thats all it takes to be Less than Everyone else then Why the hell do so many people play wow?  Its because those items DON"T MATTER.

Nothing on the C Store affects Game play except the retcon and they rightfully charge alot for it because they DON"T want you to fully restart your character over and over again since that would simply make iit a Flavor of the Month Game or rather Flavor of the Week and destroy the whole rest of the game.  You can get full retcons for free when big big changes happen (they've done it twice already) and you can PAY with in game money for a full retcon and like in RL its expensive because they dont want you to use it everytime you want to Fully Change out a power set theyd' rather you make a new character.   Its completely justified. 

Plus they've already said there will be ways to earn Cryptic Points and full retcons in additional ways at a later date (as in they'r ein the works) and so far anything they've played 'in the works' has come true.    

Boo hoo someone crapped on your Burger if your not playing CO you have no right to complain...hell if you are playing CO you really have no right to complain they listed all of these things as being on their Store MONTHS before the game was ever released.

BTW Eve has RMT built into the game and guess what no one boo hoos over it and Lord of the Rings well seriously its an IP owned game...The Lords that actually hold the RING to the IP have never been about merchandising infact they made the game about half ass lame by forcing you all to play on the same side since thats how the books were done. 

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Axeion

good question.
    part of them did gripe about the cox stuff .some were the ones in co beta griping about the direction co was headed ( an they were right).others dont want a monthly fee an a item shop in the same game ,like its double diping on the customers.players on one side feel their getn cheeted content for not buying the "extra".
    note cox did not have a item shop at launch or even int its 1st few months .an releases a whole lot of content for free every few months.co has released item shop before any free content.one could aruge the added repetable missions as fre content but its more a patch for their nerfing xp an content gaps.
    12.50 for a full recon in co ,while some say they will just skip lunch to pay for it no big deal.to me its a big deal .an now those with real life coin can do forum of the month builds on the fly ,an cheepn the game over all .part of the game is pvp unlocks... now one side will go but the games not about pvp as a focus.but theirs rewards for it.
    an as one poster on their forums said why dont they just start saleing pvp points or the unlocks?

Thing is CoX suffered form FoTM badly as well. and it took longer to level in CoX and you were locked into a class. but people still found powerful combos and made them. Heck i lost count of Energy melee / regen stalkers in CoX.

So I'm gonna defend the devs partly on this one.

I don't like the idea of retcons costing $12 either but I don't think it can break the game more than it already is in regards to balance. You have FoTM in old-CoX/CO games because Crytpic is bad at balancing powers and making everything viable for pvp/pve

I hope they make a buff pass I'm still keeping my eye on it. But i fear my electric will suffer bad nerfs and my Claws wont even get good bufs. so they might not give me a reason to return, which is bad. Because i liked a lot of aspects bout the game to be honest

patchday ya back when cov came out fotm were large . its way more diverse now. an pvp only nets you badges in cox. in co it nets you gear that afects your stats which make you more powerful.

levelng in cox is faster then it used to be. some even brag on co boards (not cox ) that they can level to 50 in 5 days easy solo.in coh that is.not sure how my self but others have braged 1 month to 50 easy which is posible.

all im saying is their makeing it much easyer for fotm players to  redo their toons to net pvp points faster .an co is a odd game as i want to love it.. but barely like it.had to retcon my toon few times cause powers i got didnt worked as they should.or were worded poorly.an theirs some your better off getn other powers for the effect than a power with that as its sole effect like enrage.

alota games out their got potential some eventualy get their an are great fun . atm i had more fun in aoc than in co.co i hit 3 buttons total an mob dies. some times just hold down one ( if charge is working right ) an boom dead mob.duno gets boreing .where as im runing a ma/sheild scrapper in cox atm thats fun just to watch the combat animations .

but cash store /shrug its still boils down to more you pay the more you get.an yes you can say well costums dont matter their only fluff.. but the costum creator in the game is a big part of the game.if you dont pay extra you dont get full potential of the costumes.

an yeah they need to buff the  powers they do another nerf pass their treading on thin ice.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Ya Axelion I guess everything you speak is truth. I was actually tempted to respec one of my characters out of Claws / Lightning reflexes into something a bit more powerful. Luckily I banked a retcon on him.

tricky subject. There's always something a little fishy when a subscription based game opens up a store.

it realy has the feel that when mmos do this type their holding back the good stuff for their cash shops.i have retconed my might toon sevrial times aint even hit 20 yet.got a sinus infection atm an the bright colors of co make me even more dizzy :/

but gona stick around till the holloween event gets going good an hopefuly have some fun.atm in cox their event is prety fun.

theirs difrent opion on if the new cosutme sets in the store will stay their or be opend up to be earned in game as well i have read both ways on the co forums.so not sure either way both sides claimeng a dev said.